The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #401
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

If the qbs fall the Broncos would be in a great spot to trade down. One of the teams at the top who pass on a QB, like the Browns, may want to move back into the first to grab a QB.

Maybe the Broncos can drop out of the first round and grab a 3rd round pick for the trouble. Have two 2nd, and 2 3rds? The thing is the Broncos don't have a lot of roster spots open to have extra picks.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #402
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

At this point, I've come to the conclusion that my top two "wishes" for the 1st round are either Ryan Shazier or Kyle Fuller. If the Broncos can get either of those players, I'll be a happy camper (only not really, because I won't be able to go to camp )
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #403
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Maybe the Broncos can drop out of the first round and grab a 3rd round pick for the trouble. Have two 2nd, and 2 3rds? The thing is the Broncos don't have a lot of roster spots open to have extra picks.
I keep hearing this and its not true.

I can see anywhere from 5-9 rookies making the team, laugh all you want.

1-2 CB's, 1-2 DL, 1 OL, 1 LB, 1 WR, 1 RB, 1 S, maybe even a TE.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #404
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

I don't think we will have to trade up for Shazier. The others yes.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #405
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
It really looks like Elway & Co have it narrowed down to four guys they want in the first round. One of CJ Mosley, Ryan Shazier, Justin Gilbert, or Kyle Fuller. The evidence is in who they brought in for predraft visits, particularly in April.

The list of predraft visits with the Broncos. http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...draft-meetings

The position breakdown is this:

LB - five (three in April, Mosley, Shazier, Preston Brown).
CB/DB - six (two in April, Fuller and Gilbert).
OL - five (none in April).
WR - five (one in April, Donte Moncrief).
QB - three (two in April, Stephen Morris, Brett Smith. WTF that is about I don't know).
DL - two (one in April, Scott Crichton).
RB - one (none in April).

Note that the only April visits are Mosley, Shazier, Justin Gilbert, Kyle Fuller, Scott Crichton (DE), Preston Brown (LB), Donte Moncrief (WR), Stephen Morris (QB), Brett Smith (QB). Where there's smoke, there's fire (note also that Jason Verrett doesn't appear on the list of visits).

So, post-FA, the focus is ILB and CB. And versatile QB for some reason, then one DE Scott Crichton, one WR Donte Moncrief.

You have to figure Chris Harris is a top slot CB, only a good outside CB, and coming off of an ACL to open the 2014 season. Kayvon Webster doesn't have top skills as an outside CB, doesn't get his head turned around to track the ball in the air, he's one of those guys that just throws his arms up and hopes the ball will bang into one of them or his helmet. Kayvon is a solid tackler, though, good in run support, good depth.

There's an opening for an outside CB to pair with Talib, and an opening at ILB to combo with Trevathan and Von. It looks like Elway & Co want to grab one of Mosley, Shazier, Gilbert or Fuller in the first round. They'll have to trade up, but outside CB and ILB are the impact positions on a solid roster where a rookie could make a difference in another Lombardi run.

Elway & Co have every roster spot covered with a plan of some sort that is pretty good except for the guy opposite of Talib and MLB. Maybe WR is a little thin . . . .
BOOOOOSH!!!!!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #406
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

I still for the life of me cannot figure out why people are always shocked at something Elway has already addressed.

How many times has Elway talked about evaluating and potentially drafting a QB every year?
Just because you as a fan assume it is a waste of resources does not mean Elway feels the same way.
Personally if we take a QB every year in the draft I have no issue with it.
Trade who you don't keep and get draft picks for them.
NFL teams are idiots and they love QB factory teams.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #407
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I want ILB CB WR at minimum

DL additions welcome too

Speed guys like Dri Archer or DeAnthony Thomas

Which I know we won't do but, imo we need quickness/shifty speed added to offense.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 05-03-2014 at 09:54 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #408
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

After doing a mock draft, I think the Broncos most likely first pick is either Donte Moncrief or Joel Bitonio.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #409
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Here's mine. First, the Broncos make a couple deals. They trade down from their 1st and get a early 2nd and an early 4th rounder. They also end up dealing a 5th rounder in 2015 for an early 6th.

2a. Donte Moncrief WR Mississippi 6'2 220

Best player here. A run of WR's likely happens in the 2nd and may be gone by the end of the 2nd round. Great size/speed ratio with hands. Welker is no guarantee to last another year.

2b. Weston Richburg C/G Colorado St. 6'3 300

Could play either, but probably the future center. Mobile, but strong in the running game.

3. Walt Aikens CB Liberty 6'1, 200

Transferred from Illinois where he played safety. Got in trouble there, but seems a solid citizen since. Nice size/speed ratio, 4.4-4.5. Could always go back to safety if need be.

4a. Telvin Smith LB Florida St. 6'3, 218

I think he drops here just because of size concerns, but really fast and hits. Can cover, so Broncos take him and worry about how to use him later.

4b. Marqueston Huff S/CB Wyoming 5'11, 200

Played most CB until switched to FS senior year. Could always be used at CB if need be depending on would happen with Aikens, so some flexibility here. Nice speed and cover, which is a problem for the Broncos at safety.

5. Zach Kerr DT Delaware 6'1, 330

Maryland transfer, great strength, more depth at DT, looking ahead to next year FA for insurance

6a. David Fales QB San Jose St. 6'2, 220

Broncos trade a 5th in next years draft to draft Fales. His arm strength is a question, but seems like a decent QB prospect at least, with mobility and accuracy. His stock is supposedly going up, so why I think the Broncos see him at the top of the 6th round and get him

6b. Avery Williamson LB Kentucky 6'1 246

Another Kentucky LB, more mobile than perceived, needs more polish

7. Lorenzo Taliaferro RB Coastal Carolina 6'0, 230

Small school guy, decent speed, but power and can catch and block

Undrafted free agents to sign:

Blake Annen TE Cincinnati 6'4, 250
Cody Hoffman WR BYU 6'4, 220
Allen Hurns WR Miami WR 6'1, 195
Isaiah Burse WR/PR Fresno St. 5'10, 190
Austin Wentworth G/T Fresno St. 6'4 315
Matt Paradis C/G Boise St. 6'3 310
Zack Moore DE Concordia 6'6 270
Chris Schaudt DE Minnesota St. 6'3 265
Andre Hall CB Vanderbilt 5'11 190
Bene Benwikere CB San Jose St. 5'11 195
Dexter McDougle CB Maryland 5'10 196
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #410
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

^ No way Telvin Smith is there at the end of the 4th, or Avery Williamson is there in the 6th.

There are simply not enough draftable half-field LB's in this draft for those guys to fall that far
Old 05-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #411
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
If the qbs fall the Broncos would be in a great spot to trade down. One of the teams at the top who pass on a QB, like the Browns, may want to move back into the first to grab a QB.

It's gonna be interesting indeed.

Quote:
How many times has Elway talked about evaluating and potentially drafting a QB every year?
Quote:
BOOOOOSH!!!!!
Yeah, I can see the points.

Quote:
Speed guys like Dri Archer or DeAnthony Thomas
Couldn't hurt the roster. Explosiveness at RB and returner can only help.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #412
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
I don't think we will have to trade up for Shazier. The others yes.
I'm really warming up to Shazier. I know Mosley isn't falling to us. I'm leaning towards Shazier, Fuller, Verrett, or Jimmie Ward being the guys I really want. Any of these 4 I'll be stoked about. I'd also be ok with Roby or Sua'filo or however spell it. I think anyone else, I might be disappointed.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #413
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Shazier is listed as a top 15 prospect now with both Rob Rang (cbssports.com), and NFL.com.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #414
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
^ No way Telvin Smith is there at the end of the 4th, or Avery Williamson is there in the 6th.

There are simply not enough draftable half-field LB's in this draft for those guys to fall that far
Actually I have the Broncos taking Smith towards the top of the 4th round, a pick they get from trading down from the 1st round. Williamson could go a little higher, but I went with what most draft sites are projecting him to go.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #415
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
I'm really warming up to Shazier. I know Mosley isn't falling to us. I'm leaning towards Shazier, Fuller, Verrett, or Jimmie Ward being the guys I really want. Any of these 4 I'll be stoked about. I'd also be ok with Roby or Sua'filo or however spell it. I think anyone else, I might be disappointed.
I think the Broncos want Mosley or Fuller the most. Well, Gilbert maybe the most, but not much chance for that. Shazier maybe too, but unless they trade up, probably can't get any of the 3. I would be surprised to see the Broncos take a smaller CB like Verrett in the 1st round.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #416
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Shazier is listed as a top 15 prospect now with both Rob Rang (cbssports.com), and NFL.com.
Who do you think takes him?
Old 05-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #417
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
Who do you think takes him?
In my nfl.com mock I struggled to let him slide all the way to the Packers at #21. That's who I have taking him.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #418
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
After doing a mock draft, I think the Broncos most likely first pick is either Donte Moncrief or Joel Bitonio.
I can't see Elway settling for maybe the fifth guy on his want list as the first pick for 2014. I think they'll attack the first round, get one of their top four guys (maybe they can stand pat at 31 and still get Shazier), then they can reset and if Moncrief is still available they can attack the 2nd round and maybe still get Moncrief. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The thing is, WR's don't have a history of being impact in their rookie years. And it looks like they want an immediate impact starter from the rookie class. Elway isn't saying "We're only one or two guys away", but the implication is there.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #419
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
In my nfl.com mock I struggled to let him slide all the way to the Packers at #21. That's who I have taking him.
How high do you have Mosely going?
Old 05-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #420
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
I can't see Elway settling for maybe the fifth guy on his want list as the first pick for 2014. I think they'll attack the first round, get one of their top four guys (maybe they can stand pat at 31 and still get Shazier), then they can reset and if Moncrief is still available they can attack the 2nd round and maybe still get Moncrief. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

The thing is, WR's don't have a history of being impact in their rookie years. And it looks like they want an immediate impact starter from the rookie class. Elway isn't saying "We're only one or two guys away", but the implication is there.
I think they would be happy to draft Moncrief and groom him for next year. Remember, they had him in for a visit. Even if they use a 3rd to trade up, the highest I think they could get would be ~#24 overall.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #421
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:

I agree with that.

I think we move down but if Shazier, Mosely or Fuller are within striking distance, only 3-5 spots or so.

And they want them, it makes sense to secure them.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #422
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
not asking me but,

top 12 imo unless teams go qb crazy in top 10 then he could slide to 15-20
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #423
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
I think they would be happy to draft Moncrief and groom him for next year. Remember, they had him in for a visit. Even if they use a 3rd to trade up, the highest I think they could get would be ~#24 overall.
SF moved up from 31 to 18, and all it cost was a 3rd to get Reid last year.

I dont see them moving up higher than the 26-28 spot or so if one of Shazier or Fuller are still there.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #424
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
not asking me but,

top 12 imo unless teams go qb crazy in top 10 then he could slide to 15-20
Highest i can see is 8 to the Vikes.

Bills dont need an ILB, Lions dont either.

Titans have other needs, as do the Giants.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #425
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Bears #15 at the latest.