The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #326
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Considering the amount of injuries we have suffered at positions in the past 3 seasons alone I do not believe there is a single position where we can say we are stocked enough to not draft that position in the first.

Mettenberger and Carr were the two QB's I wanted to fall and have us draft in the 2nd-4th round.
I like Brock, I think Dysert is a nice developmental QB.
But I know it will only take one injury to Peyton to have us be QB needy.

I think Mettenberger gets snatched up in the mid 2nd depending on who gets a QB in the first.
It honestly would not shock me to see him or McCarron be the 5th or 6th QB in the first for a team that comes back into the first.
If the Broncos did draft another QB in rounds 2-4 I think that pretty much means the end of Brock. As for Dysert, the Broncos knew he was a project, why give up on him after 1 year?

But, point taken. If Manning goes down, the way this team is built, that's pretty much the end of the season. Hoping the Brock can step in and get this team to the playoffs is fools gold, at least that's how I see it. I do hope I'm wrong about Brock, I've said that from the begining. I hated the pick, but I am hoping he is the real deal and takes over when Manning retires.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #327
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I have no problem with either. I like a lot of the DT's and DE's that should be around at our pick.

We are a heavy rotational team and as such need as much depth as possible.
Hell we all saw the impact of a top notch front 7 and depth behind it.
You can never have too many quality players in the trenches.
DE, yes.

The likes of Ford, Atachou, Ealy, Lawrence, Crichton could be there or 1-3 of those.

At DT, maybe just Tuitt, slim chance of Jernigan.

But yes, a DT as an early pick isnt that crazy given the situation next year.

Last edited by LikeABoss5820; 04-30-2014 at 04:03 PM..
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #328
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Lawrence and Attaochu are going to be awesome.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #329
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

DE would be a position of a wasted first round pick. Barring another injury, we have DEs locked up. Wolfe and Malik are two very solid LDEs, Wolfe was a very promising player and Malik is flourishing. Not to mention Von plays LDE in sub packages.

At RDE, Ware is going to essentially be an every down player, as he isn't shabby against the run, and behind him is MY PICK Q. Smith, who will be fighting to earn time. We drafted him knowing he was going to potentially miss year one, so I don't see us giving up on him.

I just don't see where a first round DE would fit?
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #330
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
DE would be a position of a wasted first round pick. Barring another injury, we have DEs locked up. Wolfe and Malik are two very solid LDEs, Wolfe was a very promising player and Malik is flourishing. Not to mention Von plays LDE in sub packages.

At RDE, Ware is going to essentially be an every down player, as he isn't shabby against the run, and behind him is MY PICK Q. Smith, who will be fighting to earn time. We drafted him knowing he was going to potentially miss year one, so I don't see us giving up on him.

I just don't see where a first round DE would fit?
Throw in McCray in sub-packages as well.

I do agree with this, but BPA is BPA.

I guess you can never have enough pass rushers though.

But i would take a DT over a DE which there is plenty of depth at.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #331
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Broncos need insurance for when Wolfe eventually craps the bed and fizzles out of the NFL.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #332
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
Given the amount of FA's next year, i'd trade back if anything and try to have 7-8 cheap rookies on the team.

Before you say, there arent many roster spots, that is not true.

I can see 1-2 CB's, 1 OL, 1 DT, 1 LB, 1 RB, 1 WR make the team.
fair enough
Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #333
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
We don't need to take a RT early. Clark, Justice, and Painter will compete at RT. I don't see a rookie beating out Clark. To me it's an unnecessary waste of resources. I'm all for adding OL, ideally not in the first, unless it's a LT.

LG is a plug and play spot, it's not like you need to draft Sua-Filo in the first, when a Gabe Jackson in the second, or Dakota Dozier in the third could be plug and play ready.

I don't see Sua-Filo as this amazing prospect.
Moses would beat out Clark for sure.

Clark is good but gave up 7 sacks? And lots of pressures/hits. Decent player but overrated by some fans. Justice is depth, and Painter is a project.

I agree on LG, and XSF, good prospect but similar to Beadles in size.

All that said, i probably wouldnt take an OL in the 1st either but if the CB's and Mosely/Shazier are gone, and we cant move out, who do you pick?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #334
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Broncos need insurance for when Wolfe eventually craps the bed and fizzles out of the NFL.
Wolfe had 4 sacks in his last 5 games before him not playing again but troll on.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #335
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Wolfe had 4 sacks in his last 5 games before him not playing again but troll on.

Given the ambiguity around his medical events and the severity of them, I think it is a safe assumption right now to *not* believe he is going to be the player he was as a rookie.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #336
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Given the ambiguity around his medical events and the severity of them, I think it is a safe assumption right now to *not* believe he is going to be the player he was as a rookie.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...%3A+Broncos%29

Fair point but doesnt justify taking a DE in the 1st.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #337
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

The Broncos will basically have 3 all-pro caliber MASSIVE OL this year. If they can't start crushing fools in the run game, something is seriously wrong with the scheme and coaching staff. Clady, Franklin, and Vasquez...give me a freaking break.

They should be able to get 5 yards every time running behind Clady and Franklin, a la Terrell Davis.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #338
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

I would be perfectly gone with them drafting Moses if Shazzy or Ward is gone. Screw it. Trample fools into submission and hold the rock for 50 minutes a game.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #339
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
We don't need to take a RT early. Clark, Justice, and Painter will compete at RT. I don't see a rookie beating out Clark. To me it's an unnecessary waste of resources. I'm all for adding OL, ideally not in the first, unless it's a LT.

LG is a plug and play spot, it's not like you need to draft Sua-Filo in the first, when a Gabe Jackson in the second, or Dakota Dozier in the third could be plug and play ready.

I don't see Sua-Filo as this amazing prospect.
You sir as a XSF hater. Dude is a beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
If the Broncos did draft another QB in rounds 2-4 I think that pretty much means the end of Brock. As for Dysert, the Broncos knew he was a project, why give up on him after 1 year?

But, point taken. If Manning goes down, the way this team is built, that's pretty much the end of the season. Hoping the Brock can step in and get this team to the playoffs is fools gold, at least that's how I see it. I do hope I'm wrong about Brock, I've said that from the begining. I hated the pick, but I am hoping he is the real deal and takes over when Manning retires.
Not really. Elway has already said they would evaluate QB's each season and potentially take one they liked.
They want depth and competition at the position.

Quote:
DE, yes.

The likes of Ford, Atachou, Ealy, Lawrence, Crichton could be there or 1-3 of those.

At DT, maybe just Tuitt, slim chance of Jernigan.

But yes, a DT as an early pick isnt that crazy given the situation next year.
I think Tuitt, Hageman and potentially Jernigan could be there around our pick.
I like all 3 of them. I think all are flexible and could play inside and out.

Ford would be a wasted pick for us. He is going to end up playing a Von like role and won't be able to take snaps away from Von.
Attaochu, Lawrence and Crichton are overdrafts at #31.
They can be had in the 2nd.
If we are going to take a DE/LB hybrid I would rather it be Van Noy and even he to me is a overdraft @ 31.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #340
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The Broncos will basically have 3 all-pro caliber MASSIVE OL this year. If they can't start crushing fools in the run game, something is seriously wrong with the scheme and coaching staff. Clady, Franklin, and Vasquez...give me a freaking break.

They should be able to get 5 yards every time running behind Clady and Franklin, a la Terrell Davis.
Just because you have a set of talented players doesn't mean they will produce certain results.
We are a finesse and passing team on offense. That isn't going to change because we move Franklin to LG.
We are going to have to pound the rock and not hurry up to the line and run out of the shotgun for that to happen.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #341
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Not really. Elway has already said they would evaluate QB's each season and potentially take one they liked.
They want depth and competition at the position.

I think Tuitt, Hageman and potentially Jernigan could be there around our pick.
I like all 3 of them. I think all are flexible and could play inside and out.

Ford would be a wasted pick for us. He is going to end up playing a Von like role and won't be able to take snaps away from Von.
Attaochu, Lawrence and Crichton are overdrafts at #31.
They can be had in the 2nd.
If we are going to take a DE/LB hybrid I would rather it be Van Noy and even he to me is a overdraft @ 31.
I can see one late, but not that high unless they dealt Brock.

Agreed, just not sure they'll go DT in the 1st. But then again if they cant move out and all the players they want are gone, then it's possible.

None of Att, Lawrence, Crichton will be there in the 2nd.

I agree with Ford but he has crazy speed off the edge.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #342
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Just because you have a set of talented players doesn't mean they will produce certain results.
We are a finesse and passing team on offense. That isn't going to change because we move Franklin to LG.
We are going to have to pound the rock and not hurry up to the line and run out of the shotgun for that to happen.
I'd say it's more of a timing offense if anything.

But we will have a pretty big interior assuming Franklin sticks at G.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #343
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Its up to the coaches to put players in a position where they can succeed. If Magazu can't get a great rushing attack with this OL, he's not doing his job correctly. Patriots had no problem with the no-huddle running game when they pounded us for 250 a couple of years ago. No excuses.

Use Big O while you can, the way I see it, he has about 10 months left in a Broncos uniform.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #344
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Just because you have a set of talented players doesn't mean they will produce certain results...
Agree. We had 2 of those 3 guys on the field against Seattle and got manhandled. But, we should be better at LT and LG this year although perhaps worse at RT.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #345
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
I'd say it's more of a timing offense if anything.

But we will have a pretty big interior assuming Franklin sticks at G.
Unless the team is going to let Ball get lathered up and let him carry it 25-30 times a game it won't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Its up to the coaches to put players in a position where they can succeed. If Magazu can't get a great rushing attack with this OL, he's not doing his job correctly. Patriots had no problem with the no-huddle running game when they pounded us for 250 a couple of years ago. No excuses.

Use Big O while you can, the way I see it, he has about 10 months left in a Broncos uniform.
If you do not practice it and practice it well then you will not play it well.
The Broncos are not a physical running team. They are not set up that way, it doesn't matter how Magazu coaches the OL if the offensive scheme is not conducive to that taking place.

This is like spread team fans getting mad when their offense can't punch it in and be physical in the red zone.
If your offense is designed to be spaced out and to take advantage of space then when the space gets smaller you will lack the advantage needed to punish the other team.

We are a timing and finesse offense, if you disrupt the timing then it goes south.
If the timing is on point then the offense is damn near unstoppable.
You cannot go from "hurry hurry" timing and precision to tough, bruising, physical run game overnight.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #346
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Moses would beat out Clark for sure.

Clark is good but gave up 7 sacks? And lots of pressures/hits. Decent player but overrated by some fans. Justice is depth, and Painter is a project.

I agree on LG, and XSF, good prospect but similar to Beadles in size.

All that said, i probably wouldnt take an OL in the 1st either but if the CB's and Mosely/Shazier are gone, and we cant move out, who do you pick?
Jimmie Ward, or one of the DTs (Jernigan, Nix). I can't get behind taking a first round Guard or RT. I preferred Franklin @RT, but I don't think Moses would beat out Clark. In a PFM offense, familiarity and trust is quintessential. I think Moses is similar to Franklin, an athletic big man, and do think he would be better than Clark at run blocking. But we are looking to improve pass protection.

I like Clark as our swing tackle, but trust is big for PFM, I have real concerns about Clark facing SDE's who use power more so than finesse.

Let us not forget Painter, he's a wild card here, similar in attributes to Moses, not as talented coming out, very raw with upside. And Justice is a competent back-up.

So if Mosley, Shazier, and the fantastic 4 (CBs) are gone, I'm probably taking a DT or Jimmie Ward, depending who's on the board of course.
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #347
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I would really like to see o-line in round 1. That is all.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:09 AM   #348
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Signs are pointing for the 49ers to move up and get a WR. Sounds like they like Odell Beckham. I wonder how far they would have to move up to get him.

They're gonna have to move into the top 10 I think.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #349
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribronc View Post
I would really like to see o-line in round 1. That is all.
I think Bitonio is a possibility. Super versatile. He could come in and provide depth along the entire OL, and, imo, compete with Manny immediately.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #350
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Not really. Elway has already said they would evaluate QB's each season and potentially take one they liked. They want depth and competition at the position.
Of course he says that, he knows the value of a franchise QB. But he also knows that he has already picked a QB early to groom behind Manning and Elway should know that if he takes another QB early, this is tantamount to Elway declaring Brock is a failure. So, is Elway willing to admit the Brock pick was bad? He keeps saying Brock is progressing, why throw a monkey wrench into Brock's development by taking yet another QB early? That makes no sense. So, if Elway takes another QB in the second or even 4th round, he pretty much has to dump Brock for team unity IMHO. Furthermore, is taking another QB early really necessary? Will that help the team win now? If Manning goes down, will this rookie QB be able to step in and win immediately?

Hypothetically speaking, if Elway is enamored with Mettenberger and Mettenberger is sitting there in the second round and the Broncos draft him, then the flip side of that coin is that Elway does not think Brock is the guy. Otherwise, if Elway really did think Brock is "the guy" he would not waste a pick on Mettenberger. So basically, Elway would be saying Mettenberger is better than Brock. Ouch.