The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Default How do you like our draft so far

Overall I liked what we have done

The questions I have is have we done enough to win SB in Ariz in 2015.

It seems to me we drafted heavier for 2015 and beyond which isn't bad idea but, I see we only have 2 or 3 seasons of Manning at most so why not draft players at positions that have quickest impact possibilities?
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I like it. They've done exactly each position and rd I suspected just different players. The T is the only guy I don't know anything about. I had roby to us in the first and moncrief and dozier in 2 and 3.

So they are fillng the positions nicely. If we can get exum and Christian jones, Tripp, Williamson, Smallwood or skov I will be thrilled to orgasm.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

The draft won't put us over the hump but that doesn't mean we can't win the Superbowl. I think to win it all we need harris to get healthy, Talib to stay healthy, Clady to get healthy, Miller to get healthy.

Elway added physicality to our team in FA. Ware, Ward, Talib, Sanders all physical players.

In the draft he added speed with Roby and Lattimore. You have to at least like how Elway thinks. Grabbed an interior lineman who seems to be a decent prospect with versatility. Broncos love guys who can switch positions if they have to.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Some of our biggest needs coming in were: CB, WR, OL.

Took three players who can help right away.
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Broncos won't take Skov he doesn't fit the scheme at all.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
NorthernistCaliforneeway7
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Hate it. Worst 3 picks all time. Broncos better land 4 HOF players tommorow to save this mess.
NorthernistCaliforneeway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I feel like they're a bunch of bums until they prove otherwise.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm ok with what they have done, though I still like Moncrief better at WR, but we'll see. Roby may have been had if they traded down some spots, but they obviously did not want to take a chance.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

With the FA, and our team getting healthy starters back, and if last years picks Ball, Williams, Webster come on, and Roby can play this year? Look out. If all that happens on defense we could be really good.

Pass rushing from both ends of the field, and if a DE like wolfe gets healthy we are pretty stout against the run on the edges. Big upfront with Knighton, Vickerson, Williams so that Travethon can operate on the weakside without a lot of traffic.

Talib and upgrade over DRC, Ward one of the best red zone SS in the league, Moore get's healthy along with Harris.....Holy cow this defense could be scary.

And everyone knows I am not a homer. This defense could literally rip qbs a new hole. Like i am not saying just shut people down, I'm saying hurt the qb good.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I feel like they're a bunch of bums until they prove otherwise.
Pretty much. It's much more about how last yrs rookies blossom. Ball, Webster, Williams. And then of course our wounded vets returning. Miller, Clady, Vickerson, Wolfe, Moore.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
uplink
Ring of Famer

Since the broncos are picking late its best to compare their draft with that of the other teams picking late: seahags, belicheatriots, panthers, (49ers don't count since they have so many picks and can play the board differently)
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Just going to have to wait and see. I don't think anyone can call this either way. I got a feeling we hit a home run with Roby
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #13
Enter The Dragon
Still Not A Playa

Football Jesus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T.J. Ward

We stood still and got undercut several times. We can hope for 8-8 after Peyton retires. Caca
Enter The Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #14
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Overall I'm pleased.

Roby will be an immediate special teams contributor and Dime/Nickel DB. Day one he's better than Bolden, Webster (who I still think has real potential), and Tony Carter. Give him a year to get better with ball location and technique and you have a guy that in his second season will start opposite Talib. Kid will play a lot this season. Slight character concerns, but this is a strong locker room and unless he goes full retard, he should be fine.

Cody Latimer has a ton of raw potential. From a physical standpoint, the Decker comparisons are asinine. Latimer has a much greater ceiling and better measurables than Decker ever did. Wes Welker has serious concussion problems and likely will be gone next season. Latimer will be used as a situational goal-line receiver and in sub packages as he learns to run routes correctly and assimilates the pace of our offense. In year two, Sanders gets bumped inside to replace Wes and Latimer will play a ton outside in 3WR sets.

Don't know much about Michael Schofield, but seems like he blew up the Senior Bowl and provides the type of versatility that Elway likes on the o-line.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #15
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post

It seems to me we drafted heavier for 2015 and beyond which isn't bad idea but, I see we only have 2 or 3 seasons of Manning at most so why not draft players at positions that have quickest impact possibilities?
If you are counting on the draft to bring in players to win you the Super Bowl that year..... Well then you aren't a contender. Glad they aren't short sided like this and are drafting for beyond 2015.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #16
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

I love the draft so far. Loved Roby, I like the Latimer pick(I wanted a big WR with tear the cover off the D speed) and Schofield is going to be a very nice RT for us.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Thinking Mosley and shazier would be gone I wanted CB WR go 1 2. That happened so I'm happy about that. Trading up was kinda odd for me as I still think a WR would've been at 63. But overall I'm good with this draft so far
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:13 PM   #18
uplink
Ring of Famer

Elway always does well on the 1st pick and then well in the 4th-6th. Again not as well in the 2-3 rounds as usual (apart from the Franklin pick which was great a few years back). The trade ups I dislike. His worst picks come off trade ups Hillman and the Arizona CB etc. So I say A in round 1, then C after giving a B- grade so far.

I don't watch a lot of college football but I can watch a few highlights and see a future NFL star. The RB Hyde is going to be something special. Now he was worth trading up for, but I guess SF wouldn't have done the deal if he was the broncos target.

Last edited by uplink; 05-09-2014 at 11:16 PM..
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #19
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post

I thought it would be for the quickest impact that helped the teams future. Overall, I'm happy. The needs we had I think we addressed so far. I do not agree with a WR being taken in the 2nd and with that much given. But I'm excited to see what else we obtain and hopefully, with the 1st and 3rd make that 2nd round pick one I can begrudgingly live with.

I do think our FA pick ups will help immensely in helping us get to AZ. But not sure if we have all the pieces in place. I'm still very unsure of the safety position. Absolutely love TJ Ward but that's about it. And think LB is still a big question mark. Considering the MLB is the QB of the defense I'm having a hard time seeing Irving in that position. And if we are drafting for the future there's not much depth on the DL. But then again I thought the Broncos would win the SB.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #20
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Pretty much. It's much more about how last yrs rookies blossom. Ball, Webster, Williams. And then of course our wounded vets returning. Miller, Clady, Vickerson, Wolfe, Moore.
Don't forget Quanterus Smith I expect very good things from him fully healthy with a year of learning what the NFL is all about and the Bronco way already under his belt I suspect he is gonna surprise a lot of people and could provide this the transition safety valve opposite Demarcus for an unknown number of early season games while Von is truly getting up to full game speed and fully healed.

If QS is ready to play we are going to be incredibly dangerous with Von comes back as well.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #21
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplink View Post
Elway always does well on the 1st pick and then well in the 4th-6th. Again not as well in the 2-3 rounds as usual (apart from the Franklin pick which was great a few years back). The trade ups I dislike. His worst picks come off trade ups Hillman and the Arizona CB etc. So I say A in round 1, then C after giving a B- grade so far.

I don't watch a lot of college football but I can watch a few highlights and see a future NFL star. The RB Hyde is going to be something special. Now he was worth trading up for, but I guess SF wouldn't have done the deal if he was the broncos target.
You do realize that we traded up for Julius and Danny right?
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:36 PM   #22
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Going into this draft, I wanted OL beef as high up as possible, but thinking it through, there were two obvious holes that needed filling, a CB capable of playing right away in view of Chris Harris' rehab uncertainty, and a WR that could replace Decker as the #2, or at least one that could compete for that spot enough to balance out a defenses efforts to take advantage of any lack of size on the side oppose DT. Now we have both those holes filled with players that rank among the best athletes at their positions. I'm not sure about Schoefield yet, but Michgan does have a pretty decent history of turning out OL guys so we'll see what he has down the road in a year. I think the next possible need that might need filling is a RB to share the load with Ball. Hopefully we get either the Boston College kid or Carey from AZ in the 4th, maybe pick up some DL depth after that. I wouldn't mind an earth moving guard as a late round project either.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:30 AM   #23
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Really like the Roby and Lattimore picks
Two elite talents that just need to be coached up
Both are in a position to sit and learn how to be a pro from some of the best in the league at their respective positions

I dont know much at all about Schofield
Good depth I guess, maybe it was a slight reach
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #24
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Seems we draft with our focus mostly on the long term.

Since we got Manning we've spent picks in the first two rounds on Wolfe, Osweiler, Sylvester Williams and now Lattimer. D-Line guys usually take some time to develop and Lattimer is gonna fight for the 4th WR position. Osweiler is the antithesis of a "win now" pick. Roby has been described as a project by many too.

Montee Ball is the only pick we've made in the time that I'd have said was a win now move, and even he was at a position of serious long term need.

So yeah, I think it's fair to say that Denver uses the draft to build long term. Whether the picks work out is a whole other story, but I digress.

Personally I'm happy with it, so long as we're aggressive in FA in an attempt to get better now. And I don't think that can be questioned really after the last couple of years.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:29 AM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Don't forget Quanterus Smith I expect very good things from him fully healthy with a year of learning what the NFL is all about and the Bronco way already under his belt I suspect he is gonna surprise a lot of people and could provide this the transition safety valve opposite Demarcus for an unknown number of early season games while Von is truly getting up to full game speed and fully healed.

If QS is ready to play we are going to be incredibly dangerous with Von comes back as well.
And then even guys like Painter who the team has been coaching up. I didn't forget about Q. Smith though. Also Malik Jackson only last yr started to contribute. Broncos could end up with a very nice mix along the Dline. Holy cow did i say that? been awhile since you could say that.

Ware is a 3 down complete 4-3 Dend. Knighton, Vickerson, Sylvester Williams are a nice looking trio at DT to rotate. Maybe Austin also? Then you have Wolfe who can be an adge setter on early downs at DE, but also kick inside in the nickel and disrupt some. Malik sort of a role player who moves around. If Quanterus Smith could become any sort of threat from the other DE spot holy cow. Broncos secondary not the best around but it's looking pretty good.