The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default OT: rooftop at Coors Field

Wednesday afternoon my wife Anne and I took in an afternoon Rockies game at Coors Field - the first Rockies game we've attending in three years.  I have always been a Rockies fan, and once I had season tickets in the 90's, but in recent years I have found it more difficult to attend games in person.

On this sunny April day, though, I wanted to once again see the Rockies with my own eyes to check out this season's team and see the changes to Coors Field.  The most prominent change is the new Rooftop section (shown above) high above the right field wall.

The Rooftop draws quite a crowd, even for this game on a weekday afternoon where the overall attendance at 20,000 was less than what the Rockies typically draw on the weekends.  For most games rooftop tickets are $14 which includes a $6 concession credit.  Ticket buyers can choose to stand in the rooftop area or sit in the general admission section of Coors.  If you choose to stand, arrive early to get a spot on the rail for a view of the field!

Here's a picture I took before the game from the rail on the Rooftop.  As you can see, you are far from home plate, and balls hit to the wall in right field are not within view.  Still this section allows fans to be part of the action for a bargain price.

Also featured as part of the Rooftop are a variety of food and drink options.

Away from the action fans can relax on these comfy couches and watch the game on the hi-def monitors.

Here's the view from the general admission section that rooftop ticket holders have access to.  Our seats were in another section, but after the second inning we chose to sit in general admission for the shade and cool breeze at the top of the stands.

Would I purchase Rooftop tickets for a future game?  Probably not, as I had trouble picking up the flight of the baseball from this far away.  I prefer the upper deck behind home plate, where I used to have my season tickets, if I don't want to pay the higher prices of the lower level or club level.

Still I think the Rooftop is a good addition to Coors Field.  It drew a younger crowd this day, most of whom seemed more interested in socializing than watching the game itself.  But that's OK - part of the beauty of baseball with its slower pace is enjoying the sunshine and the company of the people you are with.

For more information on the Rooftop check out this FAQ from the Rockies.

titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Nice thread for offseason. I know someone will come here and b**** about the owners spending money on players instead of gimmicks but at least it isn't an expensive part of the stadium.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

So it's similar to paying a cover for the Column/Jackson's/LoDos during the game but you have an actual view of the action instead of only watching on tvs in the bar? Sounds pretty cool. Definitely makes sense it was a younger crowd, we'll see how it evolves.

Either way, it was a clever way to cover up the fact that they couldn't sell the seats that used to exist there
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
So it's similar to paying a cover for the Column/Jackson's/LoDos during the game but you have an actual view of the action instead of only watching on tvs in the bar? Sounds pretty cool. Definitely makes sense it was a younger crowd, we'll see how it evolves.

Either way, it was a clever way to cover up the fact that they couldn't sell the seats that used to exist there
Yep, on a regular day that part of Coors wouldn't have had 1 person in it. Yesterday it was the most crowded part of the park.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Why go to a game only to sit on couches away from the game and watch it on monitors?

I have been to cub games at the real Rooftops across the street and I am glad I didn't pay to go. Sure they feed you off the grill and they usually have an open bar but as far as going to watch the game the site lines suck and it is not the same. As an outing for vendors it is ok but I would rather be in the park. The above looks like a club for those who don't want to go to the game but still hang out.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

It looks pretty sweet I just have trouble supporting that franchise monetarily under the current regime.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #7
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

how many innings can the rooftop pitch?
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

It actually has a lower ERA than Winton Lopez but of course so does a juggs machine.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
The above looks like a club for those who don't want to go to the game but still hang out.
Yep. I'm looking forward to it. I like going to the ballpark. I don't like baseball. I like the Rockies even less.

It's perfect for me.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
bombay
Ring of Famer

If only there were a major league team in that beautiful ballpark. Pisses me off that I was all for us (denver area taxpayers) paying for it, then we get stuck us with the monforts.

Last edited by bombay; 04-10-2014 at 08:18 PM..
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #11
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

So the bars are charging a cover on say, a TUESDAY night while the game is going on right across the street? Screw that!
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
I remember when the Rockies sold out the original Mile High and its ridiculous seating capacity for their 1st couple years. $1 Rockpile tickets
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #13
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Why go to a game only to sit on couches away from the game and watch it on monitors?

I have been to cub games at the real Rooftops across the street and I am glad I didn't pay to go. Sure they feed you off the grill and they usually have an open bar but as far as going to watch the game the site lines suck and it is not the same. As an outing for vendors it is ok but I would rather be in the park. The above looks like a club for those who don't want to go to the game but still hang out.
That's basically what it is. The product on the field is marginal at best, and the Rox figured out that the young people weren't coming to the stadium, but were hanging out on rooftops a block away. And since they built that terrible-idea extra level (not originally part of the plan), they had room to do something like this.

I'm going next homestand to check it out.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #14
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
how many innings can the rooftop pitch?
/thread
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #15
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Looks pretty kickass to me
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #16
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

So I got engaged there this weekend.... The rooftop itself is awesome, would love a little more of a stress free game/weekend in Denver.

Anyways.... We have a threeish month span here where she had to take her nursing job at St. Jude's in Memphis.... I have to finish out the school year teaching before I can move down. So I bought her tickets to the Rockies game for her birthday.... So she flew in and stayed with her best friend.... Little does she know I'm poking my head around town and bang....Name:  image.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  193.6 KB
iforgotmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #17
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Not sure how to put multiple pics in one post on my phone....

Crowd was great.... Played along awesome and made the moment even better.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  170.1 KB
Old 05-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #18
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

The city of Denver is as impressive as it gets. I've always said I want conservatives running my country and state, but give me
Money spending green energy progressive hippie liberals to run my town. Denver seems to spend the $$ on making it a beautiful city.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  107.9 KB
Old 05-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #19
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Not to brag... Ok a little.... But that looks like
Something Von miller would wear.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  185.7 KB
Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 PM   #20
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

I know a lot of people don't care about all these pics and my personal life..... But I've been treating this board a lot less like a source of Broncos information and more like a community discussion board and I've gotten way more enjoyment out of it. So last but not least.... My new bronco swag I picked up on the trip.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  162.8 KB

It's ****ing awesome....50 bucks, and it's like twice as big as it looks there.... She's stuck with me... Giant action figure display and all.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

I haven't gone to a Rockies game in like decade. Are the rock pile seats gone and this rooftop thing is the replacement or are these just additional ways to watch the game?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:09 AM   #22
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Awesome stuff! Congrats!

And I like the crowd holding the signs instead of doing the jumbotron thing.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #23
iforgotmypassword
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I haven't gone to a Rockies game in like decade. Are the rock pile seats gone and this rooftop thing is the replacement or are these just additional ways to watch the game?
I'm not sure, but it's possible. The "rooftop" is huge. There is basically 4 good sized bars up there. It's a younger crowd but it certainly isn't a loud college crowd. It was a damn good time.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #24
delany
Uber Bronco

Awesome bro. Congrats!

That is the way to kickoff an engagement.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #25
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmypassword View Post
The city of Denver is as impressive as it gets. I've always said I want conservatives running my country and state, but give me
Money spending green energy progressive hippie liberals to run my town. Denver seems to spend the $$ on making it a beautiful city.Attachment 34290
Congrats to you both
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote