The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #76
24champ
Obi-Wan Phillips
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nakatomi Plaza
Posts: 22,231

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandstarter
Default

By the way, moneyball was a pretty good baseball movie with the front office dealings, scouting, signing players etc.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #77
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco
 
eddie mac's Avatar
 
Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 21,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Almost certain to be terrible.

Football movies start and end at Remember the Titans
I'd have to disagree on this.

Loved "The Express", liked "We are Marshall" and didn't mind "Invincible".

anything that has the true story effect always gets me.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #78
skunk
Seasoned Veteran
 
skunk's Avatar
 
WOE UNTO THEE

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 351

Adopt-a-Bronco:
No
Default

I hope they draft o.k. sams
skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #79
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Make the NFL Great Again

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,985

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

I don't get all the Costner hate ............

I liked Water World. I also liked the Postman. I also liked Dances with wolves....... Robin Hood not so much except when they yell "to the trees".
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #80
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,397

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Casey Kreiter
Default

I'll see it and probably like it. I have a weakness for all football movies good or bad:

Longest Yard
Rudy
Jerry Maguire
The Program
The Replacements
Friday Night Lights
Any Given Sunday
The Waterboy
Remember the Titans
The Express
The Blind Side
Best of Times
Brian's Song
All the Right Moves
Necessary Rougness

I have cried during probably 75% of those and seen them each at least 3-5 times.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #81
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!
 
DomCasual's Avatar
 
Shameless Homer

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 15,938

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
I think I'll prob go watch this movie, despite all this. Kinda like a fat girl at a drunk party. "Ill **** her?"
Yeah, that's where I am. When I first saw the previews, I was thoroughly disgusted. My wife whispered, "Hey, a sports movie. You're loving that, right?"

I was thoroughly offended! The whole movie was a cliche! It was like they saw how Moneyball did, and said, "Hey, football is even more popular than baseball! How could we adapt this? I got it! That salary cap is crazy complicated, right? I heard it was, anyway! Let's do a Billy Beane character. And we'll make it about his relationship with the salary cap guy!" But it's all wrong, because Moneyball was a real thing! The people behind Moneyball were real guys, facing a real problem. This isn't real! Oh my gosh! What a cheap attempt to go after anyone who will watch a movie even loosely related to sports! I'm offended, is what I am!

Wait, when did they say it was coming out?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #82
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960
 
cooking up a victory

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in the kitchen
Posts: 7,280
Default

the previews are pathetic!
bad acting, bad writing, horrible clichés...
and the backdrop location Cleveland?
a comedy about a bunch of guys getting together for their fantasy draft
(think hangover with a football twist) would do better.

oh, BTW,
a discussion of great sports movies is incomplete without SLAPSHOT !
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #83
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960
 
cooking up a victory

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in the kitchen
Posts: 7,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I'll see it and probably like it. I have a weakness for all football movies good or bad:

Longest Yard
Rudy
Jerry Maguire
The Program
The Replacements
Friday Night Lights
Any Given Sunday
The Waterboy
Remember the Titans
The Express
The Blind Side
Best of Times
Brian's Song
All the Right Moves
Necessary Rougness

I have cried during probably 75% of those and seen them each at least 3-5 times.
brian's song, big salute !
what was the name of the mark whalberg football movie?
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #84
CHEF LUIGI
bronco fan: day 1, 1960
 
cooking up a victory

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in the kitchen
Posts: 7,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
I'd have to disagree on this.

Loved "The Express", liked "We are Marshall" and didn't mind "Invincible".

anything that has the true story effect always gets me.
invinceable, thanks.
enjoyed that flick too
excellent portrayal of dick vermeil.
the real game footage at the end of the movie really brought it all home !
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #85
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Bring back the tapenade!

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 11,224

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

If this movie ends with Cleveland finishing a season at .500 or better and less than a dozen zero staph infections it is less credible than Sharknado.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #86
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 9,565
Default

No mention of The Last Boy Scout?

Come on, people!

They seriously need to do a movie of the Broncos 2009 draft and work in some kind of plot twist where Xanders loses the 25 name draft board in a pizza delivery bag.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #87
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,588

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I'll see it and probably like it. I have a weakness for all football movies good or bad:

Longest Yard
Rudy
Jerry Maguire
The Program
The Replacements
Friday Night Lights
Any Given Sunday
The Waterboy
Remember the Titans
The Express
The Blind Side
Best of Times
Brian's Song
All the Right Moves
Necessary Rougness

I have cried during probably 75% of those and seen them each at least 3-5 times.
We are Marshall Oh and Varsity Blues the movie not the tv crap. Oh and Friday night lights same statement as above
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #88
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 47,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
I'll see it and probably like it. I have a weakness for all football movies good or bad:

Longest Yard
Rudy
Jerry Maguire
The Program
The Replacements
Friday Night Lights
Any Given Sunday
The Waterboy
Remember the Titans
The Express
The Blind Side
Best of Times
Brian's Song
All the Right Moves
Necessary Rougness

I have cried during probably 75% of those and seen them each at least 3-5 times.
The same thing happens to me when I hear Gene on a MOCR Loop or reread "Failure is not an Option".
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #89
Bronc0guy
Hard hat & lunch pail guy
 
Bronc0guy's Avatar
 
Repeat City

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,701

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Yeah, that's where I am. When I first saw the previews, I was thoroughly disgusted. My wife whispered, "Hey, a sports movie. You're loving that, right?"

I was thoroughly offended! The whole movie was a cliche! It was like they saw how Moneyball did, and said, "Hey, football is even more popular than baseball! How could we adapt this? I got it! That salary cap is crazy complicated, right? I heard it was, anyway! Let's do a Billy Beane character. And we'll make it about his relationship with the salary cap guy!" But it's all wrong, because Moneyball was a real thing! The people behind Moneyball were real guys, facing a real problem. This isn't real! Oh my gosh! What a cheap attempt to go after anyone who will watch a movie even loosely related to sports! I'm offended, is what I am!

Wait, when did they say it was coming out?
Yep. I've got a few on my list I haven't seen yet, but the football fanatic in me will go watch this within the first few days of it being released. No doubt.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #90
Castinkas
Boom goes the dynamite
 
Castinkas's Avatar
 
Miller Time

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 3,509

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wade Phillips
Default

I will watch this when it hits cable, which shouldn't take to long.
Castinkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #91
TD4HOF
Ring of Famer
 
TD4HOF's Avatar
 
He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amid the Cacti
Posts: 1,652

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny Walker
Default

Just saw Dances With Wolves the other day. What a fantastic film.

Fav sports movie is The Natural.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:59 PM   #92
KevinJames
HE-MANuel Sanders
 
KevinJames's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,432
Default

Saw this today, wasn't bad way better than I expected.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #93
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Is It Draft Day Yet?
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,322
Default

I thought it was really good actually. It's getting strong reviews from both critics and fans. Looks like everyone was wrong on this one.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:06 AM   #94
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 
For Gort

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 32,858

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
I thought it was really good actually. It's getting strong reviews from both critics and fans. Looks like everyone was wrong on this one.
I thought it was fine if you don't like football. This was made for people who arent that familiar with the draft. I thought it was pretty ridiculous and still don't get what made him some kind of hero.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:33 AM   #95
Shananahan
#snakelife
 
Shananahan's Avatar
 
BLASTED

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,887
Default

Remember the part where he traded three first-round picks for the number one overall and then drafted a linebacker who would have been available anyway instead of the blue-chip, franchise QB? Remember the brilliant and ballsy move he made to trade three second-round picks for the sixth overall when that franchise QB started to slide, only to turn around and show that evil GM in Seattle a thing or two about maneuverin' by somehow convincing him to trade those three first-rounders back in order to move up only one spot? Remember how feel-good the stories about his draft selections were? Remember how the owner who was dead-set on drafting the franchise QB eventually came to be floored by the mastery and craft that was the Draft in Costner's hands, sufficiently so that he forgot all about the QB and started talking about Costner's balls? Remember that emotion Jennifer Garner showed in that one scene at the very beginning?

One can only hope this was the first of a trilogy.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:42 AM   #96
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 
For Gort

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 32,858

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Remember the part where he traded three first-round picks for the number one overall and then drafted a linebacker who would have been available anyway instead of the blue-chip, franchise QB? Remember the brilliant and ballsy move he made to trade three second-round picks for the sixth overall when that franchise QB started to slide, only to turn around and show that evil GM in Seattle a thing or two about maneuverin' by somehow convincing him to trade those three first-rounders back in order to move up only one spot? Remember how feel-good the stories about his draft selections were? Remember how the owner who was dead-set on drafting the franchise QB eventually came to be floored by the mastery and craft that was the Draft in Costner's hands, sufficiently so that he forgot all about the QB and started talking about Costner's balls? Remember that emotion Jennifer Garner showed in that one scene at the very beginning?

One can only hope this was the first of a trilogy.
Haha you know people may have wanted to see it
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:42 AM   #97
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,007

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN
Default

Of course it is good. Costner doesn't make horrible movies.. Even the movies that are panned, Waterworld; The Postman; The Guardian are still actually good movies.

What was the movie with him and Eastwood? That was a great movie, he carried that film.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #98
KipCorrington25
Free Safety
 
KipCorrington25's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton
Posts: 5,649
Default

He trades a first for a second, oh wait, not even Hollywood would put that in a film because it's so stupid and unrealistic unless you are a moron like McCheat.

But they already made a movie about McCheat it's called Forest Gump.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:54 AM   #99
Guess Who
Awesomeness
 
Guess Who's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,007

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PAIN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
He trades a first for a second, oh wait, not even Hollywood would put that in a film because it's so stupid and unrealistic unless you are a moron like McCheat.

But they already made a movie about McCheat it's called Forest Gump.
Actually Forrest Gump was successful in everything he attempted. Even nailed his high school sweetheart, although he should have used protection because his child later went on to "see dead people."


Last edited by Guess Who; 04-13-2014 at 01:58 AM..
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #100
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 12,158
Default

I'm surprised they even made this movie because the subject is so specific. I expected it to do a lot worse. I enjoyed it, but I love the draft. The critics who probably don't even watch football let alone the draft gave it a 63% at rotten tomatoes. The audience gave it a 73%. Fresh ratings all around, but it's fresher if you're in the target audience.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Denver Broncos