The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #126
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

I am not in love with the guy but any change now would be a step back in the short term. We are in full blown win now mode and can't afford to bring in a new system. We roll with Fox.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #127
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Actually "NOT TOO SHABBY" is the perfect phrase to describe Fox's attitude. A good old boy who is content to a B+ coach. He is not a driven to excellence type man but as long as Manning is here Fox is a perfect fit. For better or worse this is Manning's team and Elway wanted it that way. Free reign on the field was something John wanted badly but was denied all his career. Elway has given the opportunity to Manning he never had under Reeves & Shanahan, both of whom were dictatorial type coaches

Last edited by baja; 04-06-2014 at 09:12 AM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #128
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
It's ultimately about personnel. I was surprised we made it to the Super Bowl as banged up as we were. We've been able to field a constantly competitive team. Fox has won the division three years in a row, one with Tim Tebow at QB. That's as many division wins as Shanahan had his entire tenure here. If we keep choking in the playoffs, you can expect Fox to get the R66v6s treatment.
True enough Kaylore,

Outside people and even some who should know better seem to forget that half our D including some of our best D players were gone along with starting pro bowl LT. The fact that we made it to the dance was a minor miracle as it was. After Von and Harris both went down back to back after all the other loses I thought for sure we would be very lucky to win the make it to the AFC Championship... but with home field advantage and Gronkowski suddenly out that was a big help to punch it in, but alas proved to be at least one full pay grade higher than the team we were able to field could handle.

Nevertheless, with some better and even just average NFL team injury luck this year, the story could easily finish on that high note we've all been waiting for since end of the 1998 season. Seattle or no. I suspect the Hawks will find the sledding a good deal tougher this year and its unlikely they have the Cinderella great injury luck they have last year, especially moving into the playoffs. They lose some one like Russell, Sherman and/or especially Earl Thomas and the wheels could come of that wagon fairly quickly.

Fox has proven good at getting teams there, and assuming we can field enough horses next time, he just has to stay out of the way, more or less, and not get too conservative in that last game to complete the deal.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #129
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's ultimately about personnel. I was surprised we made it to the Super Bowl as banged up as we were. We've been able to field a constantly competitive team.
I thought the same thing and really felt Denver had a chance to steal the Superbowl last year.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #130
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
It's not losing the Super Bowl with an injured team that is the problem with Fox. It's that the team was obviously unprepared for the Super Bowl, particularly regarding the crowd noise. That, and the fact that the head coach is a moral victory loser type. Not too shabby.
They said the same things about Coughlin in Jacksonville....and then he wins 2 titles in NY. I think our team was caught believing in their own press clippings that they forgot they still had to go and execute in order to win the SB.

I think this '14 team will be more determined to win it all just as they were this not to have a "one and done" playoff this past season
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #131
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsanger View Post
alot of "hate" on fox but he sure hasn't tanked like shanny of recent.

I for 1 like the guy!
This^

Several of Fox's biggest critics on here have defended Shanahan's post Elway mediocrity with great ferocity. Fox like any other coach isn't perfect and has flaws, but he's won 3 consecutive division titles homefield throughout twice, an AFC title and the team has improved every season....when he's consistently finishing 8-8, 9-7, or 7-9 every year then yeah, kick him to the curb.

Last edited by errand; 04-06-2014 at 11:01 AM..
Old 04-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #132
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
This^

Several of Fox's biggest critics on here have defended Shanahan's post Elway mediocrity with great ferocity. Fox like any other coach isn't perfect and has flaws, but he's won 3 consecutive division titles homegirls throughout twice, an AFC title and the team has improved every season....when he's consistently finishing 8-8, 9-7, or 7-9 every year then yeah, kick him to the curb.
I think Manning had more to do with Fox's record than Fox's coaching does. No way we go 13-3 both years without manning. He showed he could go 8-8 with Tebow/Orton but about 2-3 of those games were won due to opposing teams stupidity(ie Marion Barber). Also wouldn't have won the division that year without SD having to clean up their mess earlier in that week 17 day.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #133
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
I think Manning had more to do with Fox's record than Fox's coaching does. No way we go 13-3 both years without manning. He showed he could go 8-8 with Tebow/Orton but about 2-3 of those games were won due to opposing teams stupidity(ie Marion Barber). Also wouldn't have won the division that year without SD having to clean up their mess earlier in that week 17 day.
No doubt Manning is a huge reason for Fox's Denver success....few if any coaches win many games with bad QB's, but he's also the same guy who has gone to a SB with Delhomme, and won a playoff game with Tebow....nobody is saying he's Tom Landry or Vince Lombardi, but he's also not Mac Speedie or Steve Spurrier either.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #134
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
It's ultimately about personnel. I was surprised we made it to the Super Bowl as banged up as we were. We've been able to field a constantly competitive team. Fox has won the division three years in a row, one with Tim Tebow at QB. That's as many division wins as Shanahan had his entire tenure here. If we keep choking in the playoffs, you can expect Fox to get the R66v6s treatment.
True enough Kaylore,

Outside people and even some who should know better seem to forget that half our D including some of our best D players were gone along with starting pro bowl LT. The fact that we made it to the dance was a minor miracle as it was. After Von and Harris both went down back to back after all the other loses I thought for sure we would be very lucky to win the make it to the AFC Championship... but with home field advantage and Gronkowski suddenly out that was a big help to punch it in, but alas proved to be at least one full pay grade higher than the team we were able to field could handle.

Nevertheless, with some better and even just average NFL team injury luck this year, the story could easily finish on that high note we've all been waiting for since end of the 1998 season. Seattle or no. I suspect the Hawks will find the sledding a good deal tougher this year and its unlikely they have the Cinderella great injury luck they have last year, especially moving into the playoffs. They lose some one like Russell, Sherman and/or especially Earl Thomas and the wheels could come of that wagon fairly quickly.

Fox has proven good at getting teams there, and assuming we can field enough horses next time, he just has to stay out of the way, more or less, and not get too conservative in that last game to complete the deal.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #135
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
He'll be gone after Manning hangs it up
This.

Please this.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #136
NorthernistCaliforneeway7
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxman View Post
Did you happen to catch the BAL game late in 2012 season? I think that was a HUGE **** the bed moment for Fox. Not allowing Peyton to try to get into field goal range to win the game was a fail. Not going for the win (1st down) and getting them the ball back in the first place was a fail.

I think his decisions in that game killed us as much as Rahim going brain dead and Manning have only a marginally decent game. He played not to lose which essentially made us lose.
Yeah that was a stupid call by Fox, no doubt. Hes even admitted so later on.
NorthernistCaliforneeway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #137
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

For all the talents Manning does possess he lacks the one gift that Tebow was gifted, the ability to rise to the occasion.

If you want to blame one single culprit for the loss to Baltimore & Seattle it is Manning missing the single gift Tebow has, The ability to rise to the occasion.

Fox is merely a B+ coach along for the ride.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #138
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

For all the crap that Fox is getting here, Id like to ask his detractors a question. What current head coaches do you think are clearly better than Fox?

I think Fox is a top 10 coach in this league and we're lucky to have him.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #139
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernistCaliforneeway7 View Post
For all the crap that Fox is getting here, Id like to ask his detractors a question. What current head coaches do you think are clearly better than Fox?

I think Fox is a top 10 coach in this league and we're lucky to have him.
Pete Carroll for one, he at least had his team prepared for the SB. I have always loved Tom Coughlin. His teams have their ups and downs but they perform their best on the biggest stages.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #140
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

People going on about injuries kill me. We had the highest scoring offense of all-time and were mostly healthy on that side of the ball, and only managed eight freaking points.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #141
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Pete Carroll for one, he at least had his team prepared for the SB. I have always loved Tom Coughlin. His teams have their ups and downs but they perform their best on the biggest stages.
I think the Broncos were as prepared as they could be for the superbowl. At least the defense was which is Foxs expertise. The biggest takeaway from the superbowl imo wasnt preparation, but a physical superior defense manhandling the Broncos offense.

I really love both Carroll and Coughlin, but I dont think either is significantly better than Fox. I think all things being fair, Fox can coach defense just as well as either of those guys.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #142
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
People going on about injuries kill me. We had the highest scoring offense of all-time and were mostly healthy on that side of the ball, and only managed eight freaking points.
Defense wins championships
Old 04-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #143
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Actually "NOT TOO SHABBY" is the perfect phrase to describe Fox's attitude. A good old boy who is content to a B+ coach. He is not a driven to excellence type man but as long as Manning is here Fox is a perfect fit. For better or worse this is Manning's team and Elway wanted it that way. Free reign on the field was something John wanted badly but was denied all his career. Elway has given the opportunity to Manning he never had under Reeves & Shanahan, both of whom were dictatorial type coaches
Yep

It is what it is
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #144
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Guys don't get me wrong. I want to win a Championship as much as the next Broncos fan. But there is a difference between settling for medicority and getting struck with bad luck.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #145
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernistCaliforneeway7 View Post
I think the Broncos were as prepared as they could be for the superbowl. At least the defense was which is Foxs expertise. The biggest takeaway from the superbowl imo wasnt preparation, but a physical superior defense manhandling the Broncos offense.

I really love both Carroll and Coughlin, but I dont think either is significantly better than Fox. I think all things being fair, Fox can coach defense just as well as either of those guys.

I guess we will just disagree.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #146
Mile High Salute
Elway's Little Helper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
For all the talents Manning does possess he lacks the one gift that Tebow was gifted, the ability to rise to the occasion.

If you want to blame one single culprit for the loss to Baltimore & Seattle it is Manning missing the single gift Tebow has, The ability to rise to the occasion.

So are you saying that if Tebow had started the Super Bowl instead of Manning, we would have won?
Mile High Salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #147
Mile High Salute
Elway's Little Helper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I have to think a healthy Ryan Clady and not-banged up Wes Welker would've helped, combined with the defensive injuries. If the D could have managed to get them off the field without sustaining such long drives, it could have been a totally different ballgame.
Mile High Salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #148
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #149
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

And Tebow lacks the abilitly to even be on a NFL roster as a QB. He sure didn't rise to the occasion in New England in the playoffs.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #150
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Your first comments are so ****ing dumb. Was his stellar play in the divisional round and AFC championship not rising to the occasion? Did he not rise to the occasion during his super bowl win? His other AFC championship victories?

But, by all means, a guy who had one small winning streak and managed to beat an overrated pittsburgh team that spent much of the game in a cover ****ing zero...yes, thats the guy who rises to the occasion

Quit cherry picking.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote