The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #26
Enter The Dragon
Still Not A Playa

Football Jesus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T.J. Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I am surprised that they did this now, I really didn't see them inking a deal until he proved there would be no drop off during the season, say 4-8 games in.

I guess Elway considered the injury personnel losses and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Sounds like Fox gave back a year if he really ripped up the contract for this year which works out to a 2 year extension which isn't huge and ends with Manning's original contract.

Fox is a smart, sound football coach. He won't ever be a wunderkind innovator mostly because he is at the end of his career but those guys usually flame out. He does have a stable system and he gets the most out of his talent and uses everyone during the year as long as you dress for the game which I like because if they are called on to fill in there is only a drop off in talent, not prep.

Here is to hoping he wins us 3 SBs over the next 3 years!
Wow. He is a smart sound coach. Plus I appreciate the positivity. But he has def had a significant part in blowing Mannings' small window. How much talent does he need?
Enter The Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #27
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Peyton Manning had to carry this team on his back last year and unfortunately that back snapped in 2 in the Superbowl. We played half the season with a defense full of scrubs. Jesus H C, players like Jammer and ****ing Huff were getting snaps. I'm actually surprised we got to the Superbowl after we lost Harris in the playoffs, felt for sure Brady would rip our secondary a new a-hole, what with one real DB in DRC and the rest a pile of poop.

People seem to forget that we started the season with a guy at OC who'd never played there before after our first 2 choices went down, then we lost our all-pro LT, we already knew we were without our all-pro defender for 6 games, turned out it was for most of the season after he came to play overweight and nowhere near his old self. Some also forget we inadvertantly dumped Dumervil, then during the course of the year we lost Wolfe, Moore, Bailey, Vickerson and Woodyard for periods. We sneaked a game in Dallas after scoring 50, then our HC has a heart attack. We should never have been near the Superbowl.

Be grateful for small mercies. Pretty sure there's a ton of teams in this league would love our set-up from Management to coaches to players. For me it's always the johnny come lately's that seem to have a deep hatred for Fox.

Last edited by eddie mac; 04-04-2014 at 07:40 PM..
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #28
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Bull**** comment of the day right there.
You are so right! Dan Reeves deserves more respect than that!
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #29
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
You can always count on at least one head scratcher per game with Fox.
Usually more once the playoffs start. Anyone who is happy about this hasn't been paying attention.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #30
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Peyton Manning carried this team on his back last year and unfortunately that back snapped in 2 in the Superbowl. We played half the season with a defense full of scrubs. Jesus H C, players like Jammer and ****ing Huff were getting snaps. I'm actually surprised we got to the Superbowl after we lost Harris in the playoffs, felt for sure Brady would rip our secondary a new a-hole, what with one real DB in DRC and the rest a pile of poop.

Be grateful for small mercies. Pretty sure there's a ton of teams in this league would love our set-up from Management to coaches to players.
Yep.

I still think that when Fox, his staff and Manning broke down the tape of the Seathugs and knew they needed a perfect game to win with what they had on D. I was disappointed in the O giving the ball away but when things went south they did so quickly.

Just think if our D could have stopped the SeaThugs on the 3rd and 12 after the safety. Would have been a different game, just didn't have the starters to get it done on D.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #31
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Usually more once the playoffs start. Anyone who is happy about this hasn't been paying attention.
These guys have been working together for nearly 3 years, 2 full seasons if you include Manning. Given his short window, I think changing the HC position at this point in time would be ludicrous, especially when that same HC is coming off back to back 13-3 seasons. If you did even consider it, who's available to replace him that could come in here and take over right away without any geling period cos we dont have that with Peyton.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #32
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
These guys have been working together for nearly 3 years, 2 full seasons if you include Manning. Given his short window, I think changing the HC position at this point in time would be ludicrous, especially when that same HC is coming off back to back 13-3 seasons. If you did even consider it, who's available to replace him that could come in here and take over right away without any geling period cos we dont have that with Peyton.
I don't think a new HC right now would be smart, but 3 years will likely push away the opportunity for Gase to take over when the time comes.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #33
Enter The Dragon
Still Not A Playa

Football Jesus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T.J. Ward

Not advocating firing him, yet he is pedestrian. Pedestrian and wtf moments do not win Lombardi's.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #34
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
That's all very reasonable, but in the end we aren't ever winning a Super Bowl with Fox.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #35
Enter The Dragon
Still Not A Playa

Football Jesus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T.J. Ward

Quote:
That's all very reasonable, but in the end we aren't ever winning a Super Bowl with Fox.
Plus Elway gave him Peyton and Bowlen gave us free agent reign.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #36
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Not really spoiled. Just don't want to see anymore blatant derps. No better example than the 2nd half kickoff. That was telling the other team we too scared to play straight up. You can always count on at least one head scratcher per game with Fox.
Yes we were spoiled and it was the Shanahan era that did it. I've got my beefs with Shanny but game day coaching and offensive game plan is not among them. Shanny has few peers when it comes to those two aspects.

I can't help but compare Fox's game day presence to Shanny's and Fox looks woo full in comparison.

In other areas of his job I think he does great it's just on Sunday that he leaves a little to be desired.

Last edited by baja; 04-04-2014 at 08:17 PM..
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #37
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Any individual who assumed that coach Fox would not get a extension due to the super bowl loss was dreaming. Elway said it many times that he was going to extend him.
To be surprised by the timing or the overall result is ludicrous.

I am happy to see the new deal in place so the "Let's replace Fox with X coach who will be better." will simmer down.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #38
labronx
Remember 98

Astronomy, Math, Medicine & Music

Location: The San Fernando Valley (5th largest city in the country!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
Maybe, if he ****s the bed again this year he'll be gone regardless.
this
labronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #39
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
I don't think a new HC right now would be smart, but 3 years will likely push away the opportunity for Gase to take over when the time comes.
Ya my feeling too.

I think Gase is going to be a good HC.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #40
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Eric Rhett would have been much better and I would have gotten Carl Pickens and Randle McDaniel to be coordinators.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #41
jutang
Pro Bowler

The Not Too Shabby remark still gets me pissed off. However, Elway's been accurate on most of his assessments. If Fox reminded Elway of either Reeves or Schottenheimer, he wouldn't have been extended.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #42
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post
The Not Too Shabby remark still gets me pissed off. However, Elway's been accurate on most of his assessments. If Fox reminded Elway of either Reeves or Schottenheimer, he wouldn't have been extended.
If Fox doesn't remind Elway of those two he hasn't been paying attention.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #43
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
If Fox doesn't remind Elway of those two he hasn't been paying attention.
Marty has never coached in a SB and has the most wins of any coach not to.
Fox has been to two SB's with two completely different teams.
We all want to win at least 1 SB with Peyton but let's not go crazy here. Fox is a damn good coach and while he may not be a rah rah guy he has helped this team come up from 4-12 to 3 time AFC West champs and a SB berth with a injury riddled team.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #44
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am truly happy for John Fox, the person. He seems about as likeable as anyone that's ever been a Denver Bronco.

But John Fox, the football coach - that scares me to death, considering the stakes.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #45
yerner
Ring of Famer

peter principle.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #46
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Even as a Fox supporter, i would of waited another year.

The SB was bad, but the defense was put together with duct-tape given all the players out. Along with Clady being out basically all year.

But i'm not sure you can blame the coaches for everything, up to the players to execute.

Last edited by LikeABoss5820; 04-04-2014 at 09:14 PM..
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #47
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter The Dragon View Post
Not advocating firing him, yet he is pedestrian.
That's where I'm at. However far worse coaches than John Fox have won Super Bowls. It really is all about the players. Fox can get a lot out of his players and they love him. And he knows how to hire excellent coordinators. I think we are more likely win a SB with another head coach, but I think we can win one with Fox too.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #48
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Amazing how Fox is good cuz he got a patchwork team to the SB but now sucks cuz he didn't win the SB with that same injury riddled team
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #49
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Although Fox is an average head coach, this was a good and safe signing by the FO. It was stated earlier that we don't have time for a new HC to gel with players and I agree. Manning has a 1-3 year window if Fox can't win one Lombardi riding him he has no business being our HC.
Flacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #50
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter The Dragon View Post
Dan Reeves 2.0 This sucks bad.
dan reeves was a better coach.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote