The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Default Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Some mild spoilers. Overall, a decent film. Better than Ironman 3 by a landslide, and probably about as good as Thor: The Dark World.

I like that the film takes its time a little in the first act. You get to see Steve just inhabiting his world a little bit and those parts are really strong. You need these moments because once the action kicks into gear, there is no time to slow down or really catch your breath for the rest of the film.

The action sequences get a little edit heavy. If you like the way the Borne fight scenes are filmed you will probably enjoy them. I though the action set pieces were very solid, but the quick cuts on the hand to hand stuff got old fast. There is an odd dichotomy at play with these sequences as well. The action appears to be more brutal than any Marvel movie before it, but all those sickening thuds and rag-dolling bodies are just slightly undermined by the fact that the principles never really seem to be seriously hurt or even slowed down by any of the mayhem.

Fans of the comic will guess a great deal of the twists but I'm going to avoid spilling any of them here. Still, I will say that this film probably has a greater effect on the development and direction of the Marvel Cinematic universe than any that proceeded it. I was actually a little surprised at the direction they chose to take at the end of this one.

So, overall B+. And, as always, stay through the credits for the teaser scenes.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Action movies in general these days, IMO, are way over the top. I remember actually getting up and leaving the theater 3/4 of the way through the 2nd Transformers because I was so bored. The action was cool, but they fed it to you almost non-stop and after watching straight action for an hour, you lose the interest in it. The movies are so reliant on CG and special effects it's getting way out of hand.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Lycan
Omelette Dreamer

The movie looks pretty good, but i'm just not a big fan of Cap. One of the least interesting Marvel characters to me. I'll still see it eventually, just not in theaters.

I'm much more interested in Guardians of the Galaxy, which looks great. And when are they going to finally make the damn Deadpool movie already?
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
mopatt24
Seasoned Veteran

I've been looking forward to this movie for sometime now. I read a tweet when they first started shooting this movie, saying this was going to be a really big movie in the MCU. Scarlett and Mackie were dubbing it " Avengers 1.5 ". I'm also looking forward to Guardians as well. Marvel seems to be doing everything right. Even Agents Of Shield has taken a turn for the better
mopatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

I was VERY disappointed with the first one, but this one actually looks better. I won't pay full price, but I expect that I will see it...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
ShutDownPoster
some like it hot

Bell Biv DVOA

I saw it last night in IMAX 3D, I thought it was much better than Iron Man3 and The Dark World. I hated Chris Evans supremely for his Johnny Storm performances but he has grown on me and his Cap is right on. Some things to look forward to if you haven't seen it yet:

1. The low angle rear (pun intended) shot of Scarlett's rumpshaka during the opening boat scene (you'll know it when you see it).
2. Anthony Mackie - big fan of his work - and he gets to do some cool stuff here.
3. Robert Redford - I gotta say I was never a fan of his when he was young, but I like him now.
4. An awesome Pulp Fiction reference.
ShutDownPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Action movies in general these days, IMO, are way over the top. I remember actually getting up and leaving the theater 3/4 of the way through the 2nd Transformers because I was so bored. The action was cool, but they fed it to you almost non-stop and after watching straight action for an hour, you lose the interest in it. The movies are so reliant on CG and special effects it's getting way out of hand.
Dude, the Transformer movies are not even in the same stratosphere as the Marvel movies.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 AM   #8
Bronc0guy
50 Omaha Set Hut

Get him in the HOF

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Dude, the Transformer movies are not even in the same stratosphere as the Marvel movies.
I disagree, but I'm a transformers guy. I can watch giant robots kick each others ass until the cows come home. Had the toys as a kid, loved the old cartoons. Bay gets a lot of criticism for his non stop explosions or bust style of direction, but I like it. Early word is the upcoming transformers film may actually be surprisingly good to a lot of the critics. Guess we'll see. Going to see the new Cap America tomorrow night.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:43 AM   #9
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
I disagree, but I'm a transformers guy. I can watch giant robots kick each others ass until the cows come home. Had the toys as a kid, loved the old cartoons. Bay gets a lot of criticism for his non stop explosions or bust style of direction, but I like it. Early word is the upcoming transformers film may actually be surprisingly good to a lot of the critics. Guess we'll see. Going to see the new Cap America tomorrow night.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles anybody?
Flacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #10
Bronc0guy
50 Omaha Set Hut

Get him in the HOF

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacko View Post
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles anybody?
Yes please.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
I like how the new Bond movies do the action. Especially Skyfall which I felt was exciting without having him surf a tidal wave or some other crazy feat.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #12
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Some mild spoilers. Overall, a decent film. Better than Ironman 3 by a landslide, and probably about as good as Thor: The Dark World.

I like that the film takes its time a little in the first act. You get to see Steve just inhabiting his world a little bit and those parts are really strong. You need these moments because once the action kicks into gear, there is no time to slow down or really catch your breath for the rest of the film.

The action sequences get a little edit heavy. If you like the way the Borne fight scenes are filmed you will probably enjoy them. I though the action set pieces were very solid, but the quick cuts on the hand to hand stuff got old fast. There is an odd dichotomy at play with these sequences as well. The action appears to be more brutal than any Marvel movie before it, but all those sickening thuds and rag-dolling bodies are just slightly undermined by the fact that the principles never really seem to be seriously hurt or even slowed down by any of the mayhem.

Fans of the comic will guess a great deal of the twists but I'm going to avoid spilling any of them here. Still, I will say that this film probably has a greater effect on the development and direction of the Marvel Cinematic universe than any that proceeded it. I was actually a little surprised at the direction they chose to take at the end of this one.

So, overall B+. And, as always, stay through the credits for the teaser scenes.
Cap 'Merica was a fantastic movie....and yet again, I failed to stay through the credits for the teaser clip....one of these days I'll remember.
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
Xenos
Who got Bunny Ears?

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I like how the new Bond movies do the action. Especially Skyfall which I felt was exciting without having him surf a tidal wave or some other crazy feat.
Funny you should mention Skyfall since Captain America Winter Soldier has more similarities with that than the other recent Marvel movies. Think of it as Bond/Bourne on steroids.

And do not see it in 3D. From what I've been hearing the 3D makes the fighting scene look worse than it actually is. When I saw it in 2D, I thought it has some of the most impressive fight choreography in a superhero movie. Kind of wish that The Dark Knight trilogy was able to get to this level of action.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Much better than I had expected. Absolutely loved it.

Seriously right up there with the original Ironman a notch below Avengers and Dark Knight.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #15
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
This.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Do you need to see the first one from a couple years ago to see this?
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
No. They re-cover anything relevant.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #18
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
No, they explain things.

Unless you mean can you actually purchase the ticket without showing proof of having seen the original. Then yes, you do need that.

So it's somewhat of a pickle you see.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #19
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
And do not see it in 3D. From what I've been hearing the 3D makes the fighting scene look worse than it actually is. When I saw it in 2D, I thought it has some of the most impressive fight choreography in a superhero movie. Kind of wish that The Dark Knight trilogy was able to get to this level of action.
That may have been part of my problem as I saw the film in 3D. But, even that doesn't explain all of the issues I had with the editing of the fight scenes. There is a one on one fight early in the movie that is beautifully framed and doesn't rely on the hyper cut editing. It's probably my favorite fight sequence in the film. Its unfortunate that it is at the beginning because it all kind of goes downhill from there for me. (in regards to the fight scenes)
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
No. They re-cover anything relevant.
Nazi's and frozen in a lame ship for decades then EXPLOSION and bad dialog more EXPLOSIONS and throwing around trashcan lids during explosions...amiright cap?

broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #21
ShutDownPoster
some like it hot

Bell Biv DVOA

I heard that this guy is in it....
Old 04-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #22
ShutDownPoster
some like it hot

Bell Biv DVOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Much better than I had expected. Absolutely loved it.
Would that be because of the military camaraderie portrayed in the film?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #23
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Just got back from CA, I disagree with many of you. This movie was plain excellent. Excellent story line, awesome all around. One of the best Marvel movies ever.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #24
Jay3
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBF1 View Post
Just got back from CA, I disagree with many of you. This movie was plain excellent. Excellent story line, awesome all around. One of the best Marvel movies ever.
Yeah, I don't understand the tepid praise here. This movie was flat out awesome. Way better than the first one.
Jay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #25
mopatt24
Seasoned Veteran

Saw it Saturday morning. Absolutely loved it. A well done movie and Marvel's best one yet. Iron Man 1 held the crown for a while, but the Winter Solider has topped that IMO. Loved the post credit scenes as well. Big setup going into Age of Ultron.

Also I read Sebastian Stan ( The Winter Soldier ) signed a multi-movie deal with marvel recently. Something to the tune of a 9 movie deal with Marvel
mopatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote