The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 04:01 AM   #51
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
I know what you said - I was just generalizing, and specifically talking about our backfield.

The reality is, you're right. We led the NFL in fumbles lost, and the led the AFC by a wide margin.

Manning was responsible for a good chunk, and I believe led the team...
In my opinion the Denver Broncos will not win a championship if this problem continues. Sounds cliche but it's true, we must create more turnovers for the offense to capitalize.
Flacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #52
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fankadeo View Post
mmmmmm very in-depth do you have some sort of blog that can give us more of you sage takes?
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #53
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

The thought about taking another RB in the first 3 rounds makes me angry. Why?

Why when we don't know who our starting LG is right now. We need more depth on the OL, we don't have a MLB right now, so maybe draft one of those, we need Secondary depth and honestly, WR depth because I doubt we resign Welker after this season and then we would be left with Demaryius, Sanders and Caldwell.

Ball looked extremely impressive late in the year. He runs hard and has solid vision. He had a couple fumbles last year, but he never had problems at Wisconsin I believe. That is something that can be worked on. If Hillman gets his **** together, he would be a decent change of pace back, and CJ well who knows really with him.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #54
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Ball and CJ can carry the load. Add a vet and some undrafted FA's to fill in some camp fodder and let them battle it out.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #55
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
CJ Anderson will lead the nFL in rushing in 2016. So I guess you want him to do that somewhere else?...... Maybe Oakland or KC would make you happy?

What has he done to this point to have you believe he would lead the NFL in rushing?

Is this sarcasm?

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #56
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

With the lack of any FA running back coming in to visit, I believe Denver FO will address that position (as well as the offense line) in the draft.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #57
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

I'm not too worried. I'm sure a few more RB's will be drafted or picked up to compete at camp.

Ball can be a very good starting RB, I'm really excited to see what he can do next year. We definitely need some depth at that position though.
Powderaddict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #58
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

CJ is so good he can sit on the bench for 3 seasons and then lead the NFL in rushing
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #59
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Ball was playing better than Moreno at the end of the year. Pass protection was even at that point and he had a more physical presence. I would not be shocked if a back is drafted later on for depth, but I think they go with Ball and Hillman.

I hope it's Ball and CJ. Hillman is terrible.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #60
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
Big bruiser= Carlos Hyde if we can get him.
I love Hyde and Hill. Both play Bully ball.
I would love to see a big old 235+ lb dude just thundering up the gut and getting tough yards to add to the potential workhorse value of Ball.

Charles Sims is another guy who's big but he is more of a tweener RB and FB.
Wilder is another but he is so damn slow.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #61
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I can tell you this, it doesn't matter if we take the best back in the draft this year, if we don't improve the run blocking or change our mindset on how tough this OL should be, it's not going to matter. I'm not saying our guys up front suck at run blocking because they don't. But if we want to win a SB, they WILL have to block better, in both phases of the game, but in particular, run blocking. When a team can just flat out get after your QB, you NEED to be able to hand the ball off and punch them in the mouth. It's great having an offense as dynamic as ours was but such an offense, mostly based on quick passes, if things are perfect, problems can happen real fast. That's why it's so important to be able to simplify things and just have your man whip their man straight up. Not out trick them or out scheme them. You can't always count on that. You have to go out and just beat somebody up sometimes. We NEED that in a bad way on our offense. Let's get it done Elway. I like what you did to the defense in FA, making it better but also more physical. Now let's do the same for our offense via the draft. Let's draft some physical players.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #62
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Oh I completely agree. Beadles being gone helps that but we have to replace him with a mean and nasty mauling SOB.
If the change is not at OG then we need to take a C like Max Martin and fix it there.
Either C or OG has to be drafted and personally I feel the earlier the better.

Elway himself knows the value of a great running game and he was not pleased with it overall. So I fully expect a OG or C gets taken in the draft and replaces someone in the lineup.

On the bright side we have taken a OL every draft since Elway too over.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #63
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I can tell you this, it doesn't matter if we take the best back in the draft this year, if we don't improve the run blocking or change our mindset on how tough this OL should be, it's not going to matter. I'm not saying our guys up front suck at run blocking because they don't. But if we want to win a SB, they WILL have to block better, in both phases of the game, but in particular, run blocking. When a team can just flat out get after your QB, you NEED to be able to hand the ball off and punch them in the mouth. It's great having an offense as dynamic as ours was but such an offense, mostly based on quick passes, if things are perfect, problems can happen real fast. That's why it's so important to be able to simplify things and just have your man whip their man straight up. Not out trick them or out scheme them. You can't always count on that. You have to go out and just beat somebody up sometimes. We NEED that in a bad way on our offense. Let's get it done Elway. I like what you did to the defense in FA, making it better but also more physical. Now let's do the same for our offense via the draft. Let's draft some physical players.
I agree completely. The only guy in the league with the ability to make up for ****ty line play is Adrian Peterson. To run better the line needs to play better, specifically the left side of the line. We need a mauler at LG. I like Clark and think he filled in really well but I don't see a guard when I look at the guy. I'm not a fan of moving Franklin either. Does moving him just move a glaring weakness to RT?

I'm not going to bash ManRam. I think he is a solid guy who isn't flashy or all pro but he isn't bad. There are more pressing needs than Center.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #64
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Oh I completely agree. Beadles being gone helps that but we have to replace him with a mean and nasty mauling SOB.
If the change is not at OG then we need to take a C like Max Martin and fix it there.
Either C or OG has to be drafted and personally I feel the earlier the better.

Elway himself knows the value of a great running game and he was not pleased with it overall. So I fully expect a OG or C gets taken in the draft and replaces someone in the lineup.

On the bright side we have taken a OL every draft since Elway too over.
I would wager that by the end of round 2 we have a new interior lineman.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #65
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I would wager that by the end of round 2 we have a new interior lineman.
There are only 2 things that would make me lose my **** on draft day.
Not taking a MLB early or not taking a OG/C early.
Honestly more so the OG/C than the MLB because Mosley is the main MLB I want and he likely won't be there.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #66
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
I'm hoping this guy is there at 63 and Elway picks him.

Ka'deem carey has been the best back in the country for the past 2 years imo.

my man. that's what i'm talking about.

In a class without superstar RBs, my nominee for the best all-around guy is Ka'Deem Carey (Arizona). At 5-foot-9 and 207 pounds, Carey isn't a long-speed player (he ran 4.70 this weekend), but he was so productive in college. Generally speaking, it's fair to be wary of RBs in Rich Rodriguez's spread system, but this isn't some waterbug skittering through massive holes. Watch Carey's tape, and you'll see a player who likes contact, and whose per-play determination is off the charts. Perhaps most importantly for his potential '14 value, Carey is expected to be ready in pass protection. Is he a thumper who'll be guaranteed goal-line work? No. But he ended his college career with 16 straight 100-yard rushing games, 13 of which saw him carry it at least 25 times. The guy had 52 career college TDs. He's legit. Comparable: Bernard is fresh in my mind; I'm not sure Carey catches it like Gio, but his toughness, vision, balance and burst are close. I think Ahmad Bradshaw might also be a fair comp. (Realize that Carey does have some off-field character questions.)
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #67
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

lots of good info in this thread. I like the idea of drafting a big bruising running back. That would make our defensive front 7 tougher just from practice.

With that said, I also agree with the guys saying OL with first pick. Get a Beast in there.
Kevin8Nine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 AM   #68
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
my man. that's what i'm talking about.

In a class without superstar RBs, my nominee for the best all-around guy is Ka'Deem Carey (Arizona). At 5-foot-9 and 207 pounds, Carey isn't a long-speed player (he ran 4.70 this weekend), but he was so productive in college. Generally speaking, it's fair to be wary of RBs in Rich Rodriguez's spread system, but this isn't some waterbug skittering through massive holes. Watch Carey's tape, and you'll see a player who likes contact, and whose per-play determination is off the charts. Perhaps most importantly for his potential '14 value, Carey is expected to be ready in pass protection. Is he a thumper who'll be guaranteed goal-line work? No. But he ended his college career with 16 straight 100-yard rushing games, 13 of which saw him carry it at least 25 times. The guy had 52 career college TDs. He's legit. Comparable: Bernard is fresh in my mind; I'm not sure Carey catches it like Gio, but his toughness, vision, balance and burst are close. I think Ahmad Bradshaw might also be a fair comp. (Realize that Carey does have some off-field character questions.)
Carey would be great, I think he's going to be a stud back in the NFL. Just seems like him and Balls games are too similar. Unless Elway doesn't think Ball is the answer, I don't see it.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:28 AM   #69
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Arguably Lew Sabin & John Rolsten were worse. On second thought no they weren't but they were pretty bad.
I don't know if you are old enough to remember either to make such a statement. The name misspelling is certainly an indicator.

I can't state much about Lou Sabin except he was an improvement over previous head coaches. When people within the organization at that time are asked about his impact to the Broncos. They always give him credit for raising the level of professionalism within the organization. Jack Kemp was highly complimentary of Sabin as a teacher, organizer and that he did not let the opinions of fans or media deter him. Sabin won two AFL championships with Buffalo. Unfortunately, Sabin will always be remembered by his time in Denver for the "half a loaf" game vs the Dolphins at Mile High where he chose to kick a field goal for a tie rather than go for the win before OT was used in the regular season.

As for John Ralston, I was quite happy the Broncos hired him because he did a very good job with Stanford. While he will always be remembered for the player revolt, led by Lyle Alzado, which ultimately cost him his job. People forget how good he was with the personnel side of the game. When he came to Denver, the team had never had a winning season. He drafted and signed a significant number of very good to great players which set the table for the Denver Broncos becoming a consistent winning football organization. The key members of the 1977 Bronco team were brought in by Ralston. He was a positive key element in making a winning success of the Bronco organization. A very good college coach, a not so great professional coach but by all measurements not a bad coach. When I moved to Colorado in 1971 and became a fan, Ralston brought this organization a long way by 1976.

I think your assertion about these two men are uninformed and rather ignorant. Were they a Dan Reeves or Mike Shanahan. No they were not. Bad. No way.

Last edited by dsmoot; 03-31-2014 at 04:38 AM..
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:38 AM   #70
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I totally agree with your premise of making this OL a force in the run game. I would love to see what a smart QB like Manning would do with a weapon like a dominant running game. John Elway loved having one at the end of his career.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 AM   #71
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmoot View Post
I don't know if you are old enough to remember either to make such a statement. The name misspelling is certainly an indicator.

I can't state much about Lou Sabin except he was an improvement over previous head coaches. When people within the organization at that time are asked about his impact to the Broncos. They always give him credit for raising the level of professionalism within the organization. Jack Kemp was highly complimentary of Sabin as a teacher, organizer and that he did not let the opinions of fans or media deter him. Sabin won two AFL championships with Buffalo. Unfortunately, Sabin will always be remembered by his time in Denver for the "half a loaf" game vs the Dolphins at Mile High where he chose to kick a field goal for a tie rather than go for the win before OT was used in the regular season.

As for John Ralston, I was quite happy the Broncos hired him because he did a very good job with Stanford. While he will always be remembered for the player revolt, led by Lyle Alzado, which ultimately cost him his job. People forget how good he was with the personnel side of the game. When he came to Denver, the team had never had a winning season. He drafted and signed a significant number of very good to great players which set the table for the Denver Broncos becoming a consistent winning football organization. The key members of the 1977 Bronco team were brought in by Ralston. He was a positive key element in making a winning success of the Bronco organization. A very good college coach, a not so great professional coach but by all measurements not a bad coach. When I moved to Colorado in 1971 and became a fan, Ralston brought this organization a long way by 1976.

I think your assertion about these two men are uninformed and rather ignorant. Were they a Dan Reeves or Mike Shanahan. No they were not. Bad. No way.
Saban.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:16 AM   #72
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Meh, the Running Back position has never overly concerned me since we signed Manning.

My concern has been and will continue to be offensive line depth. A position that the recent Superbowl has simply reinforced.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #73
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Meh, the Running Back position has never overly concerned me since we signed Manning.

My concern has been and will continue to be offensive line depth. A position that the recent Superbowl has simply reinforced.
It concerns me especially with Manning.
We cannot have him slinging it around all game long for the next 2-3 seasons.
That neck needs to be exposed as little as possible.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 AM   #74
91BRONCO
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
Saban.

Oh the irony.....
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #75
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This front office has always shown foresight. Elway isn't going to bank on Ball without some kind of quality back-up, and by that I don't mean Anderson and/or Hillman. I expect developments at RB right up to, and into training camp.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote