The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #26
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think Moreno ran hard and didn't make a lot of big mistakes. But the Broncos are looking for a bit more per yard, maybe a little more big play ability.

IMO Elway is going to draft another RB. The new thinking in the NFL is keep the young rbs coming from the draft, run them into the ground, rinse and repeat.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #27
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
He completely bombed his combine and ran a 4.7 - 40, so it's quite possible.
Maybe he is just slow.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #28
Punisher
®WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Money to Burn WOOOO®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Get on the Phone and Call Mike Bell
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #29
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Charles Sims
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 PM   #30
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
From my perspective, Moreno was a key part of the best offense ever in the nfl. Not just with his running last year, but he is excellent at pass protecting. Ya, he isnt Adrian Peterson, but I feel that for 3 Mil a year he is low risk high reward.

To me this is just a common cents.

But, in retrospect, I felt the same way last year when we got rid of Mcgahee, but look how this year turned out

What do you guys think?
The problem is that he didn't want common cents. He wanted common three million dollars.

The actual problem, as I see it, had more to do with playing time. The team obviously feels that Montee Ball is ready to be the starter. Indeed, they drafted him in a slot where they were expecting him to be the starter, sooner rather than later. So, let's say you pay Knowshon to come back. Who do you piss off? Knowshon is justifiably going to believe he's earned a starting job. Montee would have be be thinking, "Okay, if you didn't plan on starting me, why did you waste a pick on me?"

So, why even mess with it? Let Knowshon go, and use his $3 million somewhere else.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #31
fankadeo
Rookie

oh noooooooooooooooooooo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
Hillman sucks.
mmmmmm very in-depth do you have some sort of blog that can give us more of you sage takes?
fankadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:41 PM   #32
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
I'm hoping this guy is there at 63 and Elway picks him.

Ka'deem carey has been the best back in the country for the past 2 years imo.

I love me some Carey but he and Ball are way too similar to offset each other.
Though Ball is faster.
I will not complain at all if we draft him but for me the better fit is a big bruiser or a shifty speed guy(no, not Hillman size either)
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #33
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Montee can run the rock. Hillman's 3rd year in the league and he's still only 22. CJ Anderson is 23 and he can run the rock too.

We could add another RB late in the draft but it'd be a complete waste to draft an RB anywhere in rounds 1-4.

We'll obviously have an RB or 2 on the practice squad....
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #34
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
4th round at the soonest. No way in hell does Elway go RB in the 1st 2 rounds 3 consecutive seasons.

The team wants Ball to be the guy. So if we do get someone we are getting a guy who can spell him and take 5-8 carries a game, not a guy who can carry the load. Also, there really isn't anyone in the draft that will go earlier that I think is that much better than those who will go late.
Not true at all. Elway will want 2 rbs he feel can carry the load if need be. No way he thinks Ball is a sure thing for 16 games and 3 playoffs games.

He will either draft someone he thinks is ready, or he will pick up a vet FA that can at least block and pick up 3.5 yrds.

Some vet rbs will kick loose still.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #35
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
The problem is that he didn't want common cents. He wanted common three million dollars.

The actual problem, as I see it, had more to do with playing time. The team obviously feels that Montee Ball is ready to be the starter. Indeed, they drafted him in a slot where they were expecting him to be the starter, sooner rather than later. So, let's say you pay Knowshon to come back. Who do you piss off? Knowshon is justifiably going to believe he's earned a starting job. Montee would have be be thinking, "Okay, if you didn't plan on starting me, why did you waste a pick on me?"

So, why even mess with it? Let Knowshon go, and use his $3 million somewhere else.
Until Ball gets hurt and the SB depends on Hillman. RB has been a position of need for some time. I hope we can find at least one more solid player to rotate in with Monte. Knowshon deserved his payday, glad he got it.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #36
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Though Ball is faster.
I will not complain at all if we draft him but for me the better fit is a big bruiser or a shifty speed guy(no, not Hillman size either)
I want a power back. I'm tired of smaller speed or shifty backs that drop on first contact. Sure home run threats are fun when they actually break free, but it tends to happen with such irregularity that it is pointless to count on that being available on a week to week basis. Give me a guy who will push the pile and that you know is good for 5 ypc. May not be pretty, but it is effective. Give me boring football that gets the job done over the glitz and glamor that looks good on occasion and I am happy.

Lorenzo Taliaferra in the 5th is a nice option James Wilder in the 6th is another guy. I don't want an early pick on a RB because I think Ball is the guy. We're looking for a backup and situational runner. And if I were drafting in this current era of the NFL, I would never draft a back lighter than 220lbs
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #37
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

I say we go with Montee Ball and CJ Anderson and draft Dri Archer to replace Hillman.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #38
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Denver should definitely and will look at taking a HB round 2-4 in this draft. Say Ball goes down, we're left with Hillman & Anderson. Scary. I know Elway understands this. I wouldn't be surprised to see Denver's 1st 3 picks go on offense.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #39
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

We'll be drafting a RB for sure, but I'm guessing round 4 or 5. Ball will be the man for sure but Elway knows he needs a more physical and balanced offensive attack. That means we'll be running the ball more and while Elway probably really likes Ball and CJ, he'll be looking to add 1 or 2 more guys, depending if Hillman is kept.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:59 AM   #40
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
I say we go with Montee ball and CJ Anderson and draft Dri Archer to replace Hillman.
I say we pick up someone with talent and let CJ Anderson do something else
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:10 AM   #41
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
We'll be drafting a RB for sure, but I'm guessing round 4 or 5. Ball will be the man for sure but Elway knows he needs a more physical and balanced offensive attack. That means we'll be running the ball more and while Elway probably really likes Ball and CJ, he'll be looking to add 1 or 2 more guys, depending if Hillman is kept.
I do not see us waiting til round 4 to take a RB. Too many good ones in this draft and the ones who fit the role we need are likely to go in rounds 2 and 3.
Hell if by some miracle Carlos Hyde falls to us in the 2nd I do not know how you can pass on him. Even with Ball here and set to be the man.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:14 AM   #42
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
From my perspective, Moreno was a key part of the best offense ever in the nfl. Not just with his running last year, but he is excellent at pass protecting. Ya, he isnt Adrian Peterson, but I feel that for 3 Mil a year he is low risk high reward.

To me this is just a common cents.

But, in retrospect, I felt the same way last year when we got rid of Mcgahee, but look how this year turned out

What do you guys think?
Yeah, you are the only one concerned...
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:16 AM   #43
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I say we pick up someone with talent and let CJ Anderson do something else
CJ Anderson will lead the nFL in rushing in 2016. So I guess you want him to do that somewhere else?...... Maybe Oakland or KC would make you happy?
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:17 AM   #44
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I do not see us waiting til round 4 to take a RB. Too many good ones in this draft and the ones who fit the role we need are likely to go in rounds 2 and 3.
Hell if by some miracle Carlos Hyde falls to us in the 2nd I do not know how you can pass on him. Even with Ball here and set to be the man.
I think it's likely Broncos do take a RB. Also it doesn't matter what round to me. As long as the players drafted contribute to the team we will end up very good.

young running backs can make you better on special teams and to be honest Ball didn't wow me at all. I think Elway blew it not taking Lacy.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:23 AM   #45
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I think it's likely Broncos do take a RB. Also it doesn't matter what round to me. As long as the players drafted contribute to the team we will end up very good.

young running backs can make you better on special teams and to be honest Ball didn't wow me at all. I think Elway blew it not taking Lacy.
Lacy and Bernard were it for me at RB last season. I was pissed when we didn't find a way to get either one.
I like Ball and understand why he was taken. But whether Ball is or is not a bell cow RB or not. We need talent and depth. I would say the same thing if Lacy or Bernard were here.

I want Hill from LSU badly but with his character issues we almost certainly will not touch him.
I do somewhat agree that the round doesn't necessarily matter. But the RB's I really like in this draft I think will go in rounds 1-3.
Hill will likely fall due to character issues but he has been said to be knocking his team interviews out of the park.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:29 AM   #46
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Really? I thought Ball looked excellent at the end of the year. Does he have fumbling issues? Yes, but it seems as though our entire team does. That comes down to coaching IMO
Flacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:35 AM   #47
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

This forum completely overexaggerates the fumbling problem of our backfield.

We have 5 fumbles and 3 lost from our backfield the whole year. Stop the bull****.

Seahawks had 5 fumbles 1 lost.

49ers had 7 fumbles 4 lost.

Patriots had 7 fumbles 5 lost.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:53 AM   #48
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
This forum completely overexaggerates the fumbling problem of our backfield.

We have 5 fumbles and 3 lost from our backfield the whole year. Stop the bull****.

Seahawks had 5 fumbles 1 lost.

49ers had 7 fumbles 4 lost.

Patriots had 7 fumbles 5 lost.
I stated it felt as though our entire team has fumbling issues. I do agree with your post but our fumbles came in key possessions.

Example: @Colts; fumble on goal line during 4th quarter.
Flacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:18 AM   #49
driver
Pro Bowler

Bronco Fan Extrordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Though Ball is faster.
Big bruiser= Carlos Hyde if we can get him.
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:32 AM   #50
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacko View Post
I stated it felt as though our entire team has fumbling issues. I do agree with your post but our fumbles came in key possessions.

Example: @Colts; fumble on goal line during 4th quarter.
I know what you said - I was just generalizing, and specifically talking about our backfield.

The reality is, you're right. We led the NFL in fumbles lost, and the led the AFC by a wide margin.

Manning was responsible for a good chunk, and I believe led the team...