The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #51
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Exactly! I think a lot of people are over valuing Franklin who is only a RT. During the draft he was rated as a RT only skill set. If Clark is at RT Broncos would have a guy that can swing between RT and LT.
I'm not convinced the entire 2014 broncos starting offensive line is currently on the roster.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #52
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I had no idea this many people thought franklin was this good.
It took two pages before I found someone living in my world (FYI I live in Scatman's world, because everybody is equal in Scatman's world - and so are you.)

Anyway, Elway and company have been below average at drafting offensive linemen. They have good coaches and can get a lot of out what they have, but when it comes to drafting they haven't done as well as at other positions.

Franklin is very large and he's "pretty good." But they just extended Winston Justice, and perhaps more importantly, singed Clark to a 3 year extension last season. So they have enough depth and leverage to sit tight on Franklin. Let's see how the draft plays out and how Franklin shows up in a contract year.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #53
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
I. HATE. THE. OFFSEASON!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
I'm not convinced the entire 2014 broncos starting offensive line is currently on the roster.
Haha. We'll see. I think it'll depend on what Elway does with that 31 pick or our first pick(cause I think we might trade down). At 31 we have a chance at the #1 or #2 rated guard in the draft. And depending on who Elway like he might be able trade down a couple do spots and still get his guy.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #54
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We lost our only all pro Olineman last year. Came into the season not even knowing who the center would be. They did pretty good overrall last year IMO. And got rid of the weakest link. I would be happy with Yankey. Would be OK with fuia(spell) even though he's UCLA.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #55
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

If this really is an "all in" type season, then logic tells you to have as many guys as possible playing in a contract year. I think it's pretty safe to say that guys almost never tank in a contract year and, more often than not, end up having the best years of their careers.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #56
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
If this really is an "all in" type season, then logic tells you to have as many guys as possible playing in a contract year. I think it's pretty safe to say that guys almost never tank in a contract year and, more often than not, end up having the best years of their careers.
Decker Moreno Phillips DRC just to name a few gave us some good contract years. And I don't see any of them having a better 2014 than 2013 in individual production either.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #57
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

I hope they end up moving Franklin to Guard and put Clark at RT. The run game might suffer on the R side, but it would be hugely improved on the Left. If Clark can handle LT then I don't see why he would have a problem with RT, at least pass blocking. Of course, I wouldn't object to taking Xavier su'afilo in the first round and putting him at LG either.

What I don't get is those who think you should put Clark at LG. He is a pass blocker, who doesn't get as much push, while Franklin is a run blocker, who struggles occasionally (at least against Seattle) in pass blocking.

As far as if Franklin is an elite RT, I think Manning makes all OL look a lot better than what they really are, so it's tough to tell. He didn't look elite against Seattle.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #58
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I like Franklin and think he adds a lot of value but "elite" and "one of the best" are descriptors I wouldn't use.

"Elite" and "one of the best" RTs would kick over to LT when Clady went down last year as opposed to starting someone with little to no experience and an UDFA pedigree.

In fact, I think it's pretty evident he isn't even in the top 2 of our own tackles...

I'm all for retaining Franklin, and I like what he adds quite a bit, but at the moment, we don't even KNOW he'll be a starter in September.

Does he stay at RT?

If so, does he compete with Clark?

If so, can he even win the job?

Does he kick inside to LG?

If so, can he handle it?

Do we draft a superior player?

A lot of questions that aren't conducive to handing him an extension right now. I'm quite firmly in Elway's camp on this one.

They did that with Kuper as well. Kuper when healthy was a good starting NFL guard, but one of the best? I don't think so.

IMO Franklin a good player that can dominate average player, hold his own vs good ones but will have his bad games against better player.

One of the best should be reserved for players like Gary Zimmerman who when in Denver literally shut people out and dominated every game.

Clady is a very good player and the rest of our oline is good but not great. What they do at the LG spot and Center will determine if they get worst or better then last yr.

I think the Broncos have to draft a gaurd early and plan to let him compete.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #59
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

If Franklin is best for us at LG, then thats where his big Shrek head is going.

Manning DOES make everyone on the line look better.....not even a question.

If Franklin doesnt understand that, then hes deluded.

He played well.........but hes not elite at RT.

I TOTALLY believe he can be elite at GUARD.

And if he is.........payday for him.
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #60
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I bet he wanted more money. To which Elway said "nope, did you actually watch the Superbowl tape?"
I don't think there's really any question, right? Contract extension with more cash, signing bonus, whatever.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #61
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Can anybody really remember the Right tackle of the '89 Broncos? WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP.
I am guessing....... nope can't think of it... Ken Lanier maybe?

Last edited by Guess Who; 03-30-2014 at 09:03 PM..
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #62
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxman View Post
Outside of MAYBE DT...did anyone on our team have a good Super Bowl?
Our linebackers were pretty good too.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #63
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

All I know is that vague social media posts should result in the poster losing a toe, or maybe an ear lobe. Seriously, you post that crap, and you immediately hear a knock on the door. Who could it be? BAM! It's the Internet Vague Social Media Post Task Squad (VSCMPSqu). Here's some gauze. Apply direct pressure until the bleeding stops!

It's such an attention whore ploy. "Oh, you have GOT to be kidding me!"

Chop! Chop! You'll learn to walk without a limp within 2-3 months.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:43 PM   #64
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Anyway, Elway and company have been below average at drafting offensive linemen.
They have? Outside of Franklin who have they drafted in the first three rounds?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #65
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
They have? Outside of Franklin who have they drafted in the first three rounds?
No one should draft offensive linemen in the first three rounds unless they are excellent or a left tackle. The good teams find their linemen in rounds 4-6.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #66
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
No one should draft offensive linemen in the first three rounds unless they are excellent or a left tackle. The good teams find their linemen in rounds 4-6.
Let's look at this:
Clady was already on the team
as was Beadles
I think we all agree Magazu developed ManRam
we signed Vasquez in FA
Drafted Franklin in the 2nd

I guess I don't see what failings our FO has had thus far in terms of drafting Olinemen

Franklin is not elite, but he is easily worth a 2nd round pick
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #67
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
They have drafted 3 OL under Elway. Franklin in the 2nd, Blake in the 4th and Painter in the 6th. Small sample size. 33% success rate and potentially higher if Painter makes it.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #68
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

So what is the flaw in Franklin game? People saying Franklin isn't elite couldn't even name 5 better RT than him.

Stop with the bull****. The Super Bowl was 1 game.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #69
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
They have drafted 3 OL under Elway. Franklin in the 2nd, Blake in the 4th and Painter in the 6th. Small sample size. 33% success rate and potentially higher if Painter makes it.
Franklin should have been better than he has been for where he was taken. We'll see how his contract year plays out. Blake was so absolutely terrible it made me question the entire front office's ability to scout linemen. I don't know how they could have whiffed so terribly. I will agree they are average if Painter emerges as a potential starter, but until then I give them a C for Franklin, a D- for Blake and a C for Painter.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #70
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
3 of the 49ers linemen are 1st round picks.

2 linemen of the seahawks are 1st round and 1 is 2nd round.

Patriots line has 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder.

Last edited by Action; 03-30-2014 at 11:14 PM..
Old 03-30-2014, 11:13 PM   #71
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Franklin should have been better than he has been for where he was taken. We'll see how his contract year plays out. Blake was so absolutely terrible it made me question the entire front office's ability to scout linemen. I don't know how they could have whiffed so terribly. I will agree they are average if Painter emerges as a potential starter, but until then I give them a C for Franklin, a D- for Blake and a C for Painter.
Franklin is not a C. He's been a day 1 starter and he has never been a weak point in our offense outside of the super bowl (where the whole offensive line was a weakness).

How does Franklin, a day 1 starter, get the same grade as someone who hasn't even taken a snap in an NFL game?

You would think Franklin is a below average RT by reading some people's opinions.

I'm pretty damn sure if we won the super bowl or the offensive line played better, everyone would be singing a completely different tune.

Last edited by Action; 03-30-2014 at 11:20 PM..
Old 03-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #72
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ackles/page/32

Franklin is the 5th best RT there. The real point is, even if you think he's not top 5, he's obviously one of the better RT's in the league.

I don't think people understand how bad some tackles are in the league. Franklin has ALWAYS been consistent week in and week out. There is not a game, outside the super bowl, in my memory that he has ever been a weak point or the cause of weakness in our offense. That's with Tim Tebow or Peyton Manning.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #73
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
I'm sorry but I fail to see how Franklin is supposed to be better than what he currently has been due to where he was drafted.
He grades out as a top 5 RT just about everywhere except this forum.
It baffles me how many people somehow downgrade his play and act as though he can be easily replaced.

He is one of the best RT's in the NFL, he grades out as such both on film and with sites that do evaluations over the season.
The only bad games he really had were against Houston and Seattle.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #74
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Franklin is a more than serviceable RT. He got owned in the SB, but so did everyone on the team, especially the offensive line as a whole. We're going to draft Beadles replacement in the first 2 rounds, or draft a center that the FO likes and slide Ramirez back over to guard. Although I do remember a lot more complaining on here about Ramirez when he was at guard in 2012 than I ever heard about him playing center last season.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #75
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

You might as well say Manning is no better than Mark Sanchez if you want to use the Super Bowl as a gauge.