The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #1
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default Johnny Manziel Pro Day: All 65 throws

Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
Jay3
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm seeing the same problem with his drops that Tebow displayed. Running quarterbacks tend to drop back with legs that are sort of twinkle-toed and nimble and don't really get there and stab that back foot.
Jay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Nah, his footwork is fine.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Pretty nice work out. But really, shouldnt the top 5-7 QB prosepcts in the draft be able to drop back no pressure and hit 90%+ of those throws? I mean the man with the broom was menacing, but serisously.

What does this really tell anyone, other than what we expect today from a good QB entering the draft?
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
Pretty nice work out. But really, shouldnt the top 5-7 QB prosepcts in the draft be able to drop back no pressure and hit 90%+ of those throws? I mean the man with the broom was menacing, but serisously.

What does this really tell anyone, other than what we expect today from a good QB entering the draft?
it says a couple of things--one, he has improved his mechanics since the end of his college season (which means he's working on getting better, all his snaps came from under center) and two, he can pretty much make all the throws.

Now, is he a top 5 NFL draft pick QB? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I felt even during the college season he not only would be the hardest QB to evaluate, but just player in general for NFL teams. He has many qualities you would like in a QB, but his weaknesses or at least perceived ones, are very worrisome.

He can obviously turn a nothing play into something huge, maybe better than any QB that has come around in years. He has leadership skills and seems to work hard at his craft. He does have some baggage however with off the field incidents, so that is a legit concern.

His seems to have answered the arm strength question. He seems to have plenty of that to make all the throws needed.

His size is a big question and really nothing can be done about that. He is what he is there.

His ability to run is his biggest asset, but can also be his biggest liability if used too much since sure, you can get away with running 8-12 times against college teams, but can he really do that in the NFL? Probably not unless he becomes the greatest at getting out of bounds or sliding and doesn't take many hits.

Many young QB's problems are reading defenses, which not sure where he is there. But then they tend to either force balls, hang onto the ball too long and get sacked a ton, causing some fumbles, or take off and run without going through progressions and possibly missing open receivers. So how Manziel will handle this, hard to say.

All in all, he's just a hard guy to gauge. But I do think whoever drafts him will need an offense that is more open and not necessarily the same as he had in college, but at least at times, is pretty close. I don't think he would fit a 2 back, max protect type of traditional, conservative type offense. I don't think he would be very successful in such an offense.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

I don't know jack about football mechanics - but I'm looking forward to watching him play - it will definitely be entertaining. QB's like Manning and Brady don't wow me with just one play - they wow me over the course of a game/season as they continuously make the right reads and accurate throws. Manziel made many individual plays in college that I thought were spectacular - I bet he has a few of those in the NFL. I think that NFL systems often try to force a QB into something they are not - I hope the team that drafts him doesn't try to turn him in a pocket passing defense reading machine and lets him do his thing.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I think he'll definitely make a splash in the NFL. How long it will last?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I'm seeing the same problem with his drops that Tebow displayed. Running quarterbacks tend to drop back with legs that are sort of twinkle-toed and nimble and don't really get there and stab that back foot.
yeah, and the ball never really comes out high
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #10
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
Jay3
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'd still take him over any of the other QB's. I think he's going to mash it.
Jay3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #12
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

His rainbow deep ball is going to get picked off in the NFL.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #13
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

What was his 3 cone time?
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #14
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
His rainbow deep ball is going to get picked off in the NFL.
Flacco throws rainbows. We saw how some of them ended.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #15
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Haters gonna hate. Kid is a baller.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

He looks so tiny behind center! Plus he doesn't stand very upright. I thought the ball looked quite accurate, but his throws, while having some zip at times, seemed to lack real power, and something about his movements seems somehow jittery. His footwork and form looked consistent. Awful music. I think he's going to get creamed in the NFL.

Last edited by Mr. Elway; 03-28-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Nah, his footwork is fine.
In a work out, sure. But I guarantee he starts throwing deep balls off his back foot like usual once pressure comes.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #18
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Johnny Manziel is probably my favorite QB in this draft, although I like David Fales, QB, San Jose State a lot as well, but he won't be taken nearly as early as Manziel.

Manziel has some question marks, but my only question marks are his durability and him learning to stay in the pocket a little more and not run around like a chicken with his head cut off. I don't want to see all the gunslinger/playmaker taken out of him, as that's a big part of what makes him special. He's a competitor and he wants to be great and has dedicated himself since the season ended and looks like he's ready for the NFL to me. His arm strength doesn't concern me at all, Manziel can make all of throws he needs to make to be good/great in the NFL.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #19
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Johnny Manziel is probably my favorite QB in this draft, although I like David Fales, QB, San Jose State a lot as well, but he won't be taken nearly as early as Manziel.

Manziel has some question marks, but my only question marks are his durability and him learning to stay in the pocket a little more and not run around like a chicken with his head cut off. I don't want to see all the gunslinger/playmaker taken out of him, as that's a big part of what makes him special. He's a competitor and he wants to be great and has dedicated himself since the season ended and looks like he's ready for the NFL to me. His arm strength doesn't concern me at all, Manziel can make all of throws he needs to make to be good/great in the NFL.
This all sounds really familiar
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #20
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I wouldn't draft him in the first, but I am kind of rooting for him
Could make some garbage team like Cleveland relevant

Just not sure if he has the patience to methodically pick apart a defense from the pocket
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #21
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Flacco throws rainbows.
Say what you will about Flacco, I'm not a fan, but he does have a cannon for an arm.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #22
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

he needs to be paired with the right OC ! any team that fails to utilize his mobility is retarded!
forcing him to REMAIN in the pocket will have the same results it did when shanny demanded that PLUMMER stay in the pocket/ end result... hello cutler.
I watched his work-out ihave NEVER seen a right handed QB run to his LEFT and throw the ball with the kind of INSTANT velocity and accuracy that JM demonstrated!

on the move, he is electric. standing still will not accentuate his talents.
it would be like telling JJ watt to focus on tackling the QB and forget about trying to knock the pass down... stoopid.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #23
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Say what you will about Flacco, I'm not a fan, but he does have a cannon for an arm.
Oh I know he's got an arm. He just likes to throw those huge rainbows and watch the reciever just slow his route, stand there and catch it. He had several of those during that SB run. I remember in the Super Bowl I think the reciver just stood there waiting for it to drop on a TD.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #24
yerner
Ring of Famer

I don't understand why this midget is getting so much coverage.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #25
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Whatever his flaws (I'm not versed enough in proper footwork and mechanics to parse such things), he seems to throw a catchable ball and generally does a good job of leading the receiver in a way that doesn't break their stride. Of course, all that without much pressure, but he's intriguing.
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote