The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #26
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Five feet MAY be overkill, though. There are times that the ball DOES sail over the uprights, making it hard to tell whether or not the FG is good. However, most (if not all) of those instances were BARELY over the uprights. A couple of feet could do the trick, but I like the idea of the rule...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #27
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan

PFM / Kopitar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound

Just put a cross bar on top of the f/g posts, that makes the kicker to be that much more accurate. Talk about chip shots from the 25 or 30 yard line. Just kidding though.

I hope they implement rule 5. in May. We need goal line cameras, Im not sure why they wouldnt want that, besides $$.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #28
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Mr Goodell, TEAR DOWN THIS GOALPOST!!!
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #29
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

New Rules that Passed:

1) Extending the goal posts upwards
The goal posts will be extended to be five feet taller, making it easier to determine whether kicks split the uprights. - I have no problem with this.

2) Centralized replay system
NFL referees can consult with members of the NFL officiating department during replay reviews wirelessly. This is intended to help with both speed and accuracy of official reviews. This will create consensus. It will feed the conspiracy theorists "Oh gotta call Goodell to make sure the Broncos win this game!" but it will eliminate mistakes -or at least create more uniformity across games after official review.

3) Recovery of fumbles in the field of play are now reviewable - I think all turnovers should be reviewable.

4) Clock won't stop on sacks - This kind of hurts a team that is behind and sacks a QB on third down to get the ball back, but ultimately it stays consistent with the idea that when the ball carrier is down in the field of play, the clock moves.

5) Dunking the ball over the goalposts as a celebration will be a penalty - I don't care. People are so defensive about the celebrations. I think endzone celebrations are kind of tacky. And really if you want "old school" football you don't want anything more that a spike in the endzone.

Rules still under discussion for May's Owners Meeting:

1) Eliminating overtime in preseason games - Good
2) Expanding the practice squad from eight to 10 players. The league needs to look into a real farm system. Maybe this is the start of that. I am hopeful this will eventually grow to 22 players and then you can have a minor league football team!
3) Expanding active gameday rosters for Thursday night games to 49. This is basically the league pretending they care that TNF doesn't suck.
4) Allowing teams to open their roof during halftime at games for weather reasons. I don't care about this.
5) Adding cameras to all goal lines, sidelines and end lines to help ensure better angles for replay reviews. That's fine.

Rules that failed:

1) Expanding reviewable plays to include personal fouls - I think the right answer is better ref training and better player restraint adn temperance
2) Making all plays reviewable - They might as well
3) Moving the kickoff to the 40-yard line Glad it failed.
4) Eliminating the training camp roster cutdown to 75 players not sure the logic here
5) Moving the extra point attempt back to the 25-yard line. Stupid
6) Allowing an unlimited number of players on injured reserve to return to the active roster. I like this rule. Let players come back when they can!

Source:
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...f-a3a14c028843[/QUOTE]

People rip on the NFL for changing too much. A lot of these changes are actually optimizing the game.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #30
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

3) Recovery of fumbles in the field of play are now reviewable

This one is way over due
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #31
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
You are significantly less likely to knock the goalpost askew by draining one from the goal line for three. Thank Jimmy Graham for this one. Yes, I think the rule is stupid, but I can see the difference between the two.
That Jimmy Graham incident was a one time thing, I doubt it would have ever happened again. But your right, that's why they made this rule, I would think.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #32
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Five feet MAY be overkill, though. There are times that the ball DOES sail over the uprights, making it hard to tell whether or not the FG is good. However, most (if not all) of those instances were BARELY over the uprights. A couple of feet could do the trick, but I like the idea of the rule...
Praters FG against the chargers in the playoffs was a good example of this. Pretty sure he missed that one.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #33
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

I didnt even know that the team could not open or shut the roof due to weather or just because they wanted to during the game.
ludo21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #34
Flacko
UDFA

Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Who needs goalposts at all? Sharks with lasers!
Now where getting somewhere!
Flacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #35
SVine
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post

I disagree. It seems to happen all the time that kickers boom the ball way over the height of the uprights, often, by way more than 5 feet. I think they should have made the uprights 10 feet taller (or more). What is the problem with overkilling this anyway? No need to have to have fans guess if a FG is good and then have no choice but to accept a refs (whom some have corrupt reputations) decision if a FG is good or not.

My solution to this was and always is simple. In domed stadiums, hang a camera from the ceiling precisily over the top of each upright post (you would have 4 of these cameras) and utilize these cameras whenever necessary to see if a FG is good or not when the ball seems to go over the top of the upright. In non-domed stadiums, suspend a thin (almost invisible) wire from near the top of the upper deck from one side to the other directly above the goalpost, so that the wire is high above any possibility of a ball hitting it, then hang a camera precisely above each upright post from this wire.

Last edited by SVine; 03-27-2014 at 12:26 PM..
SVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #36
SVine
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I am sure that someone will do a fancy reverse layup over the goal post for td celebration and a ref will flag this for showing Goodell up.
SVine is offline   Reply With Quote