The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Maleficent
Once Upon A Dream

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Tom Condon relayed the fascinating and humorous story of Peyton Manning’s free agency

With 12 teams interested, Condon licked his chops, anticipating a certain record-breaking deal. Manning, however, was in charge; he would make four visits and then decide. Now down to four instead of twelve teams, Condon was disappointed but still confident in a megadeal.

Manning, however, said he wanted to pick the team first, before any negotiations would ensue, meaning Condon was now down to one team to negotiate with. And when Manning picked Denver, he simply asked Condon:

“What does Tom Brady make?”

“$18 million a year.”

“Then I don’t want to make a penny more than that.”

Condon’s visions of a $25 million a year deal were dashed, although the Broncos’ opening offer was $19.4 million a year. Condon phoned to tell Manning, who was incensed:

“I told you I didn’t want to make more than Brady!”

Condon apologized, hung up and called Manning’s wife, who responded, “I’ll take care of it,” and coaxed Manning to accept the Broncos’ offer.

Condon was also revealing in admitting that, in his 35 years as a player and agent, the NFLPA has never been able to make serious gains at the bargaining table like the MLBPA has, and admitted to the losses in the 2011 CBA negotiations.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/25/nfl-ow...etings-primer/
Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent View Post

Condon was also revealing in admitting that, in his 35 years as a player and agent, the NFLPA has never been able to make serious gains at the bargaining table like the MLBPA has, and admitted to the losses in the 2011 CBA negotiations.

I wonder about this. Are the NFL owners just that much better. Is the MLBPA just that much better? Or is it something regarding the nature of the sport and how most players are so easily replaceable?
v2micca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
Orange Habit
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I wonder about this. Are the NFL owners just that much better. Is the MLBPA just that much better? Or is it something regarding the nature of the sport and how most players are so easily replaceable?
The nature of the game might have something to do with it, but my first guess is that the NFLPA might not be preparing its members properly for a prolonged strike/lockout. Would most players be willing to save enough money to withstand a work stoppage that cancelled an entire season? Do the NFLPA's union dues collect enough to indemnify against such a work stoppage? Just a thought to consider...
Orange Habit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent View Post
With 12 teams interested, Condon licked his chops, anticipating a certain record-breaking deal. Manning, however, was in charge; he would make four visits and then decide. Now down to four instead of twelve teams, Condon was disappointed but still confident in a megadeal.

Manning, however, said he wanted to pick the team first, before any negotiations would ensue, meaning Condon was now down to one team to negotiate with. And when Manning picked Denver, he simply asked Condon:

“What does Tom Brady make?”

“$18 million a year.”

“Then I don’t want to make a penny more than that.”

Condon’s visions of a $25 million a year deal were dashed, although the Broncos’ opening offer was $19.4 million a year. Condon phoned to tell Manning, who was incensed:

“I told you I didn’t want to make more than Brady!”

Condon apologized, hung up and called Manning’s wife, who responded, “I’ll take care of it,” and coaxed Manning to accept the Broncos’ offer.

The bolded part is epic!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

Shows that Peyton cares a lot what other people think about him. He didn't want to earn more than Brady if he couldn't perform better than him, which at the time he was quite unsure of. I think to him, a 1-2 million dollar difference seemed worth it if it saved him some criticism.
Sly_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #6
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Well Brady is making dick for money these next three years. I don't think Manning wants to take a $8-10 mill pay cut. Brady does it because his wife is beyond rich and because the extra cap lets the Patriots get people like Revis.

If we had $8 mill more cap this year we'd probably have DRC on the team still.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:54 AM   #7
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Sounds like Manning would be willing to take a pay cut...
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:27 AM   #8
TD4HOF
Rehabbed Lurker

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
The MLBPA is unbelievably strong, one of the best unions on the planet. Marvin Miller and Curt Flood set the table.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:11 AM   #9
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Dang, Peyton sounds kinda humble, almost selfless. I didn't think the big lug had it in him. I like him even more now

And it's too bad, but NFL players have had the least effective union for a long time. Its a union that's especially unresponsive to its lower-paid members. NFL players have the lowest minimum salaries, the fewest benefits near-term and long-term, and the fewest endorsements of all pro sports except soccer and minor league baseball. That's what happens when you have an ex-jock pushover as union president for 25 years. Actually, calling Gene a pushover is an insult to folding chairs and Frenchmen the world over. I apologize for that, mes amis qui capitulent.

"Minimum salaries will still be this much."
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Well Brady is making dick for money these next three years. I don't think Manning wants to take a $8-10 mill pay cut. Brady does it because his wife is beyond rich and because the extra cap lets the Patriots get people like Revis.

If we had $8 mill more cap this year we'd probably have DRC on the team still.
Manning has and would absolutely take a pay cut!
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Name:  »_Over_the_Cap-_Tom_Brady_Salary_Cap_and_Contract_Page_-_2014-03-26_21.28.01.png
Views: 149
Size:  19.2 KB
Name:  »_Over_the_Cap-_Tom_Brady_Salary_Cap_and_Contract_Page_-_2.png
Size:  6.8 KB
Name:  »_Over_the_Cap-_Peyton_Manning_Salary_Cap_and_Contract_Page_-_2014-03-26_21.31.24.png
Views: 150
Size:  30.4 KB
Name:  »_Over_the_Cap-_Peyton_Manning_Salary_Cap_and_Contra2.png
Size:  5.4 KB
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan