The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default Oahu in August

Looking for some suggestions on places to stay things to do on Oahu in mid August. We are spending 10 days on Kauai before going to Oahu, the main reason to see Pearl Harbor now that the boys are old enough to get something out of it. We ideally would stay away from Waikiki without blowing the budget as we are staying at a fairly pricy condo on Kauai.

Ideally would have a pool/beach for the kids, but open to ideas given where folks from the Mane have stayed. If there are any particular sights hikes, etc. feel free to toss those out as well.

Thanks to those who respond!
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Looking for some suggestions on places to stay things to do on Oahu in mid August. We are spending 10 days on Kauai before going to Oahu, the main reason to see Pearl Harbor now that the boys are old enough to get something out of it. We ideally would stay away from Waikiki without blowing the budget as we are staying at a fairly pricy condo on Kauai.

Ideally would have a pool/beach for the kids, but open to ideas given where folks from the Mane have stayed. If there are any particular sights hikes, etc. feel free to toss those out as well.

Thanks to those who respond!
How old are your kids?

The North Shore is awesome Hale Ewa is a little village right in the middle of all of the North Shore Beaches. Be careful, the waves and current can be dangerous. The Turtle Bay Hilton is in the area as well. I worked in Hawaii for a couple years off and on.

Last edited by kupesdad; 03-25-2014 at 01:31 PM..
kupesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

A few things.

1) Learn Japanese before you go. I'm only halfway kidding.

2) Go see Pearl Harbor.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupesdad View Post
How old are your kids?
By then 15 and 11.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

hawaii in august....I'd probably look for a volcano to jump in and cool off.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
By then 15 and 11.
There arre cheap hotels a couple of blocks off of the main drag in waikiki. Stay in the cheap hotels and then use the facilities at the beach resorts or do the North Shore thing.. it is beautiful
Old 03-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
hawaii in august....I'd probably look for a volcano to jump in and cool off.
Doesn't get over 90.

Just looked it up. The highest recorded temperature on Kauai was 91F in 1936.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Thanks Kupes, I've been looking at some of those as well as VRBO but getting out of Waikiki and trying to stay north shore has appeal to get away from the rat race and city noise that is mentioned in most hotel reviews.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Doesn't get over 90.

Just looked it up. The highest recorded temperature on Kauai was 91F in 1936.
Yep... tradewinds and evening sprinkles keep it cool... Ive spent a ton of time there and the highest I've seen is 85
Old 03-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

We just went last September - stay on the North Shore unless you just want to visit another big city in the USA.

We stayed in a condo at Turtle Bay resort and spent our time in Haleiwa, Kewela Bay, Waimea Bay, Kuilima Cove, Sunset Beach

Make sure you visit Hanauma Bay, you have to pay to get in there but it's beautiful - decent snorkeling.

Best snorkeling, by far, was Waimea Bay.

To be honest - Pearl Harbor was a waste of my time, it's just a giant money making machine that's overly crowded and wasn't fun at all. Luckily we went there on our way to the airport heading home so it didn't interfere with our vacation. Honalulu and Waikiki are overly crowded big cities with an ocean view - avoid these places at all costs unless you like big crowded cities in which case you should just go to New York and save money.

Sunset at Turtle Bay

Hanauma Bay

Kawela Bay - our favorite spot, we were there every night for the sunsets - completely alone

Lot of Japanese but we never spoke to one. Go to Haleiwa and eat at Haleiwa Joes right next to the harbor, beautiful outdoor seating and arguably the best food i've ever had. Little pricey but once you get there you'll see why.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

VRBO was fantastic - cost us 1100 bux for a week stay at Turtle Bay resort. I have TONS of pics of the North Shore, we also went to Lanikai and kayak'd to the Mok islands, that was rough but well worth it. I still have contacts there so if you need info let me know and I can put you in touch with some folks that we met out there. We planned on going back this year but the kids wanted to go on a big family vacation and couldn't afford Hawai'i so we're heading back to the OBX. O'ahu again next year tho, without a doubt. We spent less than $4k total on that trip and that includes buying all of our snorkeling gear, GoPro, etc....

You MUST go to the Aloha Stadium swap meet, great experience.

As for the heat? With the trade winds we never noticed it. Only time we actually sweat was on the Laie Falls hike - which took 2hrs one way! Take plenty of water as that's a pretty involved hike with the sun beating down on you. Guava tunnels were badass and actually reaching the falls made the hike well worth it.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #12
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
VRBO was fantastic - cost us 1100 bux for a week stay at Turtle Bay resort. I have TONS of pics of the North Shore, we also went to Lanikai and kayak'd to the Mok islands, that was rough but well worth it. I still have contacts there so if you need info let me know and I can put you in touch with some folks that we met out there. We planned on going back this year but the kids wanted to go on a big family vacation and couldn't afford Hawai'i so we're heading back to the OBX. O'ahu again next year tho, without a doubt. We spent less than $4k total on that trip and that includes buying all of our snorkeling gear, GoPro, etc....

As for the heat? With the trade winds we never noticed it. Only time we actually sweat was on the Laie Falls hike - which took 2hrs one way! Take plenty of water as that's a pretty involved hike with the sun beating down on you. Guava tunnels were badass and actually reaching the falls made the hike well worth it.
Thanks Dark Horse. You mind PM'ing me the VRBO rental you got?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Hanauma Bay
It's funny. You form pictures in your head of people, over the years. That is not what I anticipated you to look like.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Lol Dom, that's the better half of me....notice she's rocking both the Broncos logos on her feet, gotta represent while on vacay..

Let me dig up the VRBO listing that we used and I'll PM it to you. You'll get a better package deal by contacting Bruce Fisher owner of Hawaii Aloha travel. He got our plane tickets and car rental packaged and we saved quite a bit of money thru him. Package all 3 (plane, car, hotel) and it's an even better deal
Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #15
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Queen's Bath in Kauai is a must.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:50 AM   #16
Elway 4 Life
Pass rushers apply here!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I was stationed there for 4 years and absolutely loved every minute.

Darkhorse mentioned Hanauma Bay, i will second that. Great snorkeling and beautiful views.

The Polynesian Cutural Center is a must, very educational for the kids and its an all day deal with a great luau at sundown.

If your looking for a good hike try the Aeia Ridge. Its a great hike that starts in Aeia (just north of pearl harbour) and ends up on top of the ridge with a view of the north shore and chinamans hat. Bring your camera.

Those are a few ideas off the top of my head. If you have questions PM me and i can try and answer them.
Elway 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:44 AM   #17
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

Quote:
VRBO was fantastic - cost us 1100 bux for a week stay at Turtle Bay resort. I have TONS of pics of the North Shore, we also went to Lanikai and kayak'd to the Mok islands, that was rough but well worth it.

All my family is from the North Shore/Turtle Bay area. Kahuku/Laie/Hauula.

I live around the corner from the Mokes......my son used to be a guide on the kayak tours that go out there. My kids grew up on those beaches, and when you hike the ridge behind our house you overlook those Mokes.

If you want a good experience it depends on what you like to do. Are you the adventurous outdoorsy type.....hiking....nature trails.....hunting? Are you the sit in the nice hotel sipping Mai Tais type? Do you surf? Fishing? Lay on the beach type? Snorkel, watch the turtles type? Love to take pictures? Diver? Boating?
Wanna be treated like a tourist? All of these things matter in your experience here.

If you can afford it.....dont limit yourself to the island of Oahu if you're going to come all the way out here.

Each island has its own beauty and unique qualities. All of them great.
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #18
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bg, Honor, Ojczyzna

if you are staying downtown the Embassy Suite is the best place to stay. Free breakfast and drinks. Plus it walking distance to the tourist thing to do. But folks like have said the North Shore is awesome, and dependent when you stay during the week there is open night for local artist shows with free happy hours. Also the zoo is underrated. I also recommend the Bishop Museum. It only takes a couple of hours to tour but I liked it.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #19
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

We stayed on Waikiki in August years ago and had a great time doing the tourist thing. Yes it was like a big city, but also had lots of amenities. Anything you want to do is available within walking distance from the hotels, dinner, dancing, surfing, luaus, sailing, etc... After 10 days on Kuaui it may be nice with a little convenience. The views at sunset and diamond head are great. Surfing at Waikiki is actually better in the summer time. We rented a jeep and explored the rest of the island, botanical gardens, temple (forget the name), Polenesian cultural center, hiking diamond head, and turtle bay. If you hate mosquitos Waikiki is the place to stay.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #20
Johnykbr
Pro Bowler

2.0: Now with three speeds!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
BVP

Don't piss off the natives. To 90 percent of them you are, and will always be, a Haole.

Hiking Diamond Head is a pretty fun thing to do for some great photos.
Johnykbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #21
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Peal Harbor is awesome and a must see, we sat in the little theater watching the film clips with about 50 other visitors and realized we were probably the only Americans in the room. They were all Japanese and all crying, I thought WTF are you crying about. The film clips make you realize we lost a lot of good men at Pearl Harbor but most of them were just young boys sleeping in their bunks.

Read this book before you go but beware it will make you want to read all his other books.
Attached Images

Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #22
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Warhorse, we are not sit on the beach types drinking mai tai's all day but towards the end of the day heck yes. We fly in midd day Friday. I am now starting to think that North Shore will be our best bet even though we are a drive from everything. We like to hike, snorkle, boat tour, kids want to try paddle boarding and kayaking. We will go to the cultural center, and we already have tickets purchsed for Pearl on Sunday. I am hoping the drive from North Shore won't be too bad given it will be Sunday morning.

Darkhorse thanks for the PM, unfortunately that condo is booked for the time we will be there.
I was looking seriously at Paradise Bay Resort but with minimal pool and no beach I think it's a no go with the kids. If it were just the wife and I it would be fine. Honolulu is more of a last resort I think as we'd rather avoid the city. So now I'm back to hunting for a condo near Turtle Bay. The resort is too expensive and we really prefer the condo thing as opposed to huge resorts.

How much lead time do I need from North Shore to Honolulu generally?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #23
rmsanger
Ring of Famer

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm mad jelly at your vacay... my last vacation was too Lake Placid :-(

Pics of sunset and wife were much appreciated. Rep for awesome wife tat!
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #24
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Here's a link to some of our photos and vids that we took while out there if anyone wants to browse thru them.

We were fortunate enough to run across a Hawaiian monk seal (fairly rare) sunning on the beach so we snapped pics and got a video of him there as well.

http://s852.photobucket.com/user/dar.../Hawaii%202013
Old 03-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #25
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Make sure you try a musubi when in Hawaii .... they are awesome, I always pack a couple in the golf bag when playing in Hawaii.

A favorite Hawaiian way to eat Spam is in the form of a musubi (pronounced moo-soo-bee, with no accent). It is a fried slice of spam on rice pressed together to form a small block, then wrapped with a strip of seaweed. The Spam musubi is eaten as a sandwich, and it is perhaps the Island's favorite "to go" or snack food. Spam musubi is literally everywhere in Hawaii, including local convenience stores, grocery stores
Attached Images

Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote