The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #101
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
My son and I have been getting into Settlers of Catan. Of course, he's recently earned Minecraft for having good grades, and so every waking moment is spent either there or on the Minecraft wiki. I have to say, Minecraft has been an excellent way to introduce a 7 year old to the glory of the internet. He spends hours on that wiki studying minecraft recipes and watching youtube minecraft tutorials.
Settlers of Catan is an awesome game. Would recommend to anyone.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #102
David Wooderson
All That

'Sup, b?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jake Plummer

I have a new favorite game. Just finished playing Through the Ages. I've played it a few times over the years, but really got into an epic game last night. The first time I played like 6 years ago. I developed fast food restaurants right after my civilization got wiped out. Needless to say, it didn't pay off to have fast food chains for one guy. Last night, the weakest civilization led by William Shakespeare was committing terrorist acts. It was great! Except that he destroyed my movie theater! Anyway, the simple game lasts 2 hours. It just goes through Antiquity and Middles Ages. The advanced game last about 4 hours and goes through the Age of Exploration. The full game lasts 6 to 10 hours and goes through the Modern Ages. You don't have to play it in one sitting. Sure there's a winner, but it's cool to look at everybody's civilizations at the end of the game. A close 2nd is almost as good. Your people were happy, your military was strong, your technology was advance, your resource production was up, and so on. You did good. Talk about the cool things that happened like the time when you assassinated Christopher Columbus before he could discover new territory. Or that one time when you sabotaged the Eiffel Tower before they could get it built. Lead a powerful air force with Napoleon! So many possibilities, combinations, and replayability.
David Wooderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #103
v2micca
Tupac at Coachella

Richard III was a field guide.

Just tried this one out recently:

Cornish Smuggler
http://www.grublin.com/cornish-smuggler/main

There is a lot to explain to first time players, but once everyone is up to speed, the game runs very smoothly and escalates quickly. Fun game. I highly recommend it.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #104
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wooderson View Post
I have a new favorite game. Just finished playing Through the Ages. I've played it a few times over the years, but really got into an epic game last night. The first time I played like 6 years ago. I developed fast food restaurants right after my civilization got wiped out. Needless to say, it didn't pay off to have fast food chains for one guy. Last night, the weakest civilization led by William Shakespeare was committing terrorist acts. It was great! Except that he destroyed my movie theater! Anyway, the simple game lasts 2 hours. It just goes through Antiquity and Middles Ages. The advanced game last about 4 hours and goes through the Age of Exploration. The full game lasts 6 to 10 hours and goes through the Modern Ages. You don't have to play it in one sitting. Sure there's a winner, but it's cool to look at everybody's civilizations at the end of the game. A close 2nd is almost as good. Your people were happy, your military was strong, your technology was advance, your resource production was up, and so on. You did good. Talk about the cool things that happened like the time when you assassinated Christopher Columbus before he could discover new territory. Or that one time when you sabotaged the Eiffel Tower before they could get it built. Lead a powerful air force with Napoleon! So many possibilities, combinations, and replayability.
Yeah a lot of board games fans seem to enjoy through the ages.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #105
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Just picked up Level 7: Omega Protocol. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:33 AM   #106
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Doesn't really fit the criteria you're looking for, but playing Cards Against Humanity at a family event beats all.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #107
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Doesn't really fit the criteria you're looking for, but playing Cards Against Humanity at a family event beats all.
It totally fits. I LOVE that game. It's Apples to Apples but so much more hilarious.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #108
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Smells Dirty

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
This. LOVED Axis and Allies. Replaying WW2 over and over was great.

Attachment 34012
By far what sank the most hours growing up.

I'll never forget some of those multi-day near stalemates. As for balance, there's different things you could do to balance it (ie, let the Axis roll for a technology at the beginning) Often wasn't needed though. If you had a less experienced player, you could give them allies and it served as a kind of handicap.

Lost a lot of its fun though when the internet came along and gave everyone a recipe to play. Strategies seemed a lot more creative and unpredictable before that.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #109
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Smells Dirty

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
We finally beat that game into the ground. At some point you finally get kinda numb to the profanity of it. Unless you're playing with a noob. That keeps it fresh.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:56 AM   #110
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Smells Dirty

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wooderson View Post
Never played that one. Have you tried any of the train games?

Tracks to Telluride
Ticket to Ride
Railroad Tycoon
Empire Builder
Train game
Crayon rails
Iron Dragon
TransAmerica
The London Game
Rail Baron
The Great Train Robbery
Age of Steam
Railway Rivals
18XX (lots and lots of of games in this series!!!)
Trains and Stations
There was a railroad game where you bought and controlled routes that was awesome, and I can't remember the name of it.

Also a kinda similar airline game where you bought regional airport hubs for control of regions. Don't remember the name of that either. I never owned 'em but played them with friends a few times.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #111
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

Smells Dirty

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Rail Baron was it. Looks like it was Avalon. Wish I had a copy of that.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #112
ShiftyEyedWaterboy
Ring of Famer

RIP Mr. Hockey

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Perna

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Any cribbage players around the OM?
I love cribbage. My grandfather got me started on it when I was young.
ShiftyEyedWaterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:37 PM   #113
Rabb
Ring of Famer

I know this is a bit of a necro, I was looking for some good board game ideas and remembered this thread.

We play Exploding Kittens (backed their kick starter) a ton, if you are a fan of The Oatmeal you'd like it. It's totally a game of screwing someone over.

http://www.explodingkittens.com/

I know this will sound dorky, but I wish I had pals that played board games local to me. I have a ton of video game playing friends but it's not the same.

Also picked this up at Comic Con, haven't played yet but would be a fantastic drinking game.

http://www.superfightgame.com/

Last edited by Rabb; 07-08-2016 at 01:40 PM..
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:50 PM   #114
Ragnar
Seasoned Veteran

hate them chiefs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bennie Fowler

My 2 cents.

Love Letter. If you're worried that your manhood may be challenged by the idea of having cards with a princess on the back, and the name "Love Letter" then there's the "Love Letter - Batman" edition. Batman Characters. The idea is simple: Be with the highest profile, most influential person at the end of the day, in hopes they will introduce you to the princess (tell you where the joker is). Deep in strategy, and bluffing, and easy to learn. Amazingly complex for only 16 cards.

Sheriff of Nottingham: A bluffing game. You're a simple peddler trying to get your wares to your stand so you can sell it at the faire. The sheriff stops you on the way. What's inna bag he says? 4 cheese, 4 cheese is inna bag. You reply. And the game is afoot. There may be contraband in your bag. What if you actually have a crossbow, and a couple silk with the cheese? If he opens it, you'll pay a stiff fine.. But if he lets you through.. you'll make so much money. But what if you're legit? Then the sherrif pays YOU a fine. Fantastic game with layers upon Layers of strategy.

Netrunner. Made by the same guy who made magic the gathering. every criterion you put on here is met by Netrunner hands down. And what's more interesting: It's customizeable. While you won't pay thousands of dollars to play the game, the core set, and a few expansions make the game interesting and re-playable to a serious extent with several strategies. One player is a plucky runner. Trying to figure out what hte corporation is up to. The corporation is trying to kill the runner, or put up enough crap in the runners way so they can complete their agendas before the runner learns too much! This is hands down one of the best games to ever grace this planet.

Honorable Mention: Filthy Rich. Also made by Richard Garfield (M:TG) I'm actually pretty much a whore for this guy. Every game he's ever made is pure gold in some way. Filthy rich is about your advertising strategy in a crowded back alleyway in downtown Tokyo. The game has a little bit of luck, and a LOT of strategy... with some really discreet and interesting choices to be made.

Another Honorable Mention:
Guillotine.

While it's light on strategy, it's a fun filler that has an amazing theme, and strong re-playability that tends to favor the best strategy, but like poker, sometimes the asinine play wins.. which makes it funnier.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:45 AM   #115
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

1. The resistance - I love bluffing games and this game was build to ruin trust among humans.

2. Dominion - I love that no two games are alike so you have to adjust your playstyle to match the cards and your opponents.

3. Puerto Rico - I love resource games without randomness - allows for strategy and long term planning that doesn't get screwed up by rolling consecutive snake eyes.

4. Junta - the combat is too messy and random but the intrigue is second to none.

5. King of Tokyo - it is just yahtzee with monsters, but everybody can get into it.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #116
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Favorite board game of the year has been Blood Rage.

So far, every game has played out very differently, all have been close, and it's possible to come from waaaay behind and win. Built-in rules features tend to prevent "turtling" and limit effectiveness of gang-ups.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #117
Broncoandrew
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Not a traditional board game, but Flames of War by Battlefront is a great game. Plus you get the build the terrain.
Broncoandrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #118
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Favorite board game of the year has been Blood Rage.

So far, every game has played out very differently, all have been close, and it's possible to come from waaaay behind and win. Built-in rules features tend to prevent "turtling" and limit effectiveness of gang-ups.
I really want to play this, but it's like 90 dollars. I've been really into Machi Koro, Mysterium, Betrayal at House on the Hill and Eldritch Horror lately.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #119
Mile High Salute
Elway's Little Helper

Lord of the Rings

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DT

This topic begins and ends with Axis and Allies....don't know if any of you guys have played the newer WWI 1914 version yet, but that's actually my favorite. The Axis (Central Powers) actually have a fighting chance in this one, unlike the original. And there are neat wrinkles like the Russian revolution, U.S. neutrality at the beginning of the war, technological advances like tanks beginning in the 4th turn, unrestricted submarine warfare (for the German player), contested territories, and battles for air supremacy. There are also additional interesting powers like Italy, France, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire. Good times!
Mile High Salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #120
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I really want to play this, but it's like 90 dollars.
I went a little crazy with kickstarters last year.

Got Blood Rage and the first part of Zombicide: Black Plague at Christmas. ZBP is kind of a simple, mindless dice-chucker game, but sometimes that's all anyone can handle on a given evening. The minis work well for my D&D games, though.

Also splurged for The Others: 7 Sins, by Eric Lang, the same guy who designed Blood Rage. Supposedly, this is on its way from China and due to arrive sometime in August. It's kind of a Hellboy-themed game.

And, got in on Conan, which after numerous delays, is now scheduled to arrive in October.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #121
Ragnar
Seasoned Veteran

hate them chiefs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bennie Fowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
This topic begins and ends with Axis and Allies....don't know if any of you guys have played the newer WWI 1914 version yet, but that's actually my favorite. The Axis (Central Powers) actually have a fighting chance in this one, unlike the original. And there are neat wrinkles like the Russian revolution, U.S. neutrality at the beginning of the war, technological advances like tanks beginning in the 4th turn, unrestricted submarine warfare (for the German player), contested territories, and battles for air supremacy. There are also additional interesting powers like Italy, France, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire. Good times!
There are a lot of really serious design issues with Axis and Allies in all of its iterations, in as long as infantry are as obscenely overpowered as they have always been, and there's no real way to dislodge them from that power spot... at all.

As far as a war-simulation game that's an interesting toy game, it's fun, and interesting, but breakable, and every iteration has an optimum strategy that favors one power over another... there are LOTS of simply better games out there that aren't as complex, long, and ulitmately broken.

And I'm not trying to say that your choice in Axis and Allies is wrong. I know a lot of people who are absolute die-hards. but I don't think you can argue that the topic starts and ends with A&A.

The board game I miss the most? Warhammer 7th Edition. That was about as good as wargaming could get. As far as Micro-Level wargames go.

Warhammer 40k is also a pretty good wargame on a Micro level.

I haven't found a Macro war-game that wasn't completely broken, or so complex that I needed a rulebook that was an index of 4 other rulebooks.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #122
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Yeah I agree with Ragnar.

Axis and Allies was pretty good for its time....which was like 25 years ago.