The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #51
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I love board games. I can't get enough of them but it's hard finding people our age who want to play them.

I still love playing some of the old classics. I really love the ones that make you think quite a bit. My favorite top 5 old games are:

Mastermind

Othello

Scrabble

Backgammon

And the #1 board game for ever and always will be CHESS

I haven't played mastermind in 30 years. Fun game
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #52
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Pandemic is pretty addictive.

More of a card game than a board game, but Pimp, the Backhanding, was a classic.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...he-backhanding

I've been having fun with chess variants, like Dragon Chess and 4-way chess since I don't have to memorize the first 15 moves of the Ruy Lopez, the Sicilian Defense and 2,000 other over-analyzed openings. Nice change of pace.

The Touch of Evil boardgame is fun, especially with the expansions, but it does take awhile.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3...ernatural-game

Kingmaker was a hell of a game. Must have played that a zillion times.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/987/kingmaker
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #53
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco View Post
Before anyone ever heard of fantasy leagues, there was Strat-O-Matic.
I played that once, in about 1967. I had the Broncos; my cousin had the Chiefs. On the first play, I had Steve Tensi throw an 80 yard TD.

At that point I figured it was BS.

Although, if I remember right, I wound up losing 35-10, so maybe it was more accurate than I realized.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #54
Memento
SY2K

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Godwin Turk

Telestrations. Combines the old-school telephone game with your ability to draw (or better yet, your inability to draw... works even better here).

They have a version for 12 players. Original concepts get warped and go way off track. Fun stuff.
Memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #55
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Yo can play Sorry. The Denver Bronco Super Bowl Edition.

I alos like stratego.
I thought they renamed it to "Not too shabby sorry" in honor of he Broncos.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #56
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Some of these games sound pretty fun. Will check out.

I've mostly been playing Cards Against Humanity, SmartAss and Catchphrase when the friends get a game night together.
My family loves Catchphrase. I'm into the oldies, love to play Battleship with the grandkids. Prefer card games.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #57
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
I played that once, in about 1967. I had the Broncos; my cousin had the Chiefs. On the first play, I had Steve Tensi throw an 80 yard TD.

At that point I figured it was BS.

Although, if I remember right, I wound up losing 35-10, so maybe it was more accurate than I realized.
One of my cousin's does the baseball version. He has done whole seasons of games from the 1960's. I never got why but he is disabled and has a lot of time on his hands, plus he grew up with the game.

I find it more disturbing that he watches/listens to every minute of every White Sox baseball season(s). That is a big commitment.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #58
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
My family loves Catchphrase. I'm into the oldies, love to play Battleship with the grandkids. Prefer card games.
VCR blinking 12:00 Gunns?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #59
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
My son and I have been getting into Settlers of Catan. Of course, he's recently earned Minecraft for having good grades, and so every waking moment is spent either there or on the Minecraft wiki. I have to say, Minecraft has been an excellent way to introduce a 7 year old to the glory of the internet. He spends hours on that wiki studying minecraft recipes and watching youtube minecraft tutorials.
As the parent of 10 and 14 year olds you will find this a mixed blessing. How qucikly they discover the net, the tools, the ideas they put together etc. are really cool and will impress the heck out of you. The downside it brings the world to them instead of them going out and discovering the world. They don't have to exercise creativity as moch because it is all served to them. Put a time limit on it and it will be fine. An IT friend of mine said the amount of time he let his kids disappear into electronics ruined his kids. Lazy parenting yes, but the message is limit the binary digit time, it's no the real world and everyone will be fine.

The internet, ipads, itouch's, minecraft are the Elvis swivel hips for our generation.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #60
itswutz4dinna
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I love board games. I can't get enough of them but it's hard finding people our age who want to play them.

I still love playing some of the old classics. I really love the ones that make you think quite a bit. My favorite top 5 old games are:

Mastermind

Othello

Scrabble

Backgammon

And the #1 board game for ever and always will be CHESS
Damn, forgot about Othello, that game was awesome. I don't think I ever actually tried playing Mastermind but had fun just reading the cards and trying to answer them. Some of them are hilariously stupid or impossible.

Haven't seen Scattegories in here yet. That might be my favorite. Great thinking game that leads to some pretty awesome arguments as well.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #61
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'm pretty good at Catan. I win more than I lose and this is playing with several guys who do strategy as a living. Two work at classified jobs for the Government.

Here are some tips:

1. Play the hand you're dealt. If you can buy something now with the cards you have, but can also wait and hope you'll get something else, don't. Just buy what you can right then.

2. Try and trade with players, but make sure it is equitable. Don't sell the farm for one card unless it's really going to help you.

3. Avoid pissing matches for the longest road. Roads provide no resources. Towns and cities provide resources.

4. Buy development cards. Even if they are mostly knights, having the largest army is 2 points.

5. Early in the game either try to have a settlement touching all resources, or try and monopolize one resource and build a port for that resource. That will help you get what you want.
In a 6 player game, using these tips, I came in 6th.

Dead last.

Thanks.
Powderaddict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #62
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
In a 6 player game, using these tips, I came in 6th.

Dead last.

Thanks.
Oh so it's MY fault? I'd have to see how you played. It was your first time so I'm guessing it wasn't everyone else's right? Did you guys play with any expansions? And how did the winner, win?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #63
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Played Catan with girls tonight. Other popular ones in my house right now are Mastermind, Clue and Blokus. Been trying to con them into trying one of my Avalon Hill games. Maybe Acquire?

Also - if you ever find yourself in DC there is a great bar call The Board Room in DuPont Circle that is dedicated to board games. Very popular.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #64
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Any cribbage players around the OM?
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #65
*WARHORSE*
GNASHING OF TEETH

Let the heads roll.........

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lombardi III

Board games I prefer:chess

Have played all the regulars....monopoly, Risk, scrabble, sorry....etc

Thanks for posting though Kaylore, the games look interesting.
*WARHORSE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:00 AM   #66
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Table Top RP type games with board game format are much fun and with much less time investment than full blown TTPRGs:

Castle Ravenloft -- Basically Dungeons and Dragons super light. Similar rules, self contained games (i.e. one hour-ish). Cooperative multi-play.

A similar game with more of an open ended format but can be board game style is Savage Worlds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Worlds
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #67
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

@Fedaykin: Don't get me started on the D&D "edition wars." These things make sports rivalries look tame by comparison.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #68
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Oh so it's MY fault? I'd have to see how you played. It was your first time so I'm guessing it wasn't everyone else's right? Did you guys play with any expansions? And how did the winner, win?
Hell yeah it was your fault! At least that's what I'm telling myself to smooth my fragile ego

No expansions other than the additional players. The 3 girls all cooperated and were as helpful to anyone as could be, all 3 of us guys were conniving and trying to benefit ourselves the most. Of course the gals all did awesome. Everyone other than my wife and myself had played before. Ultimately it was the longest road and turning settlements into cities that put the winner over the top.

I underestimated the importance of the higher rolled numbers. I placed my developments where they were surrounded by a good variety of resources, but they were all at numbers that had a lower chance of being rolled. That's what really did me in.

Last edited by Powderaddict; 03-23-2014 at 08:58 AM..
Powderaddict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #69
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

There is a new 2 player game out called Agricola. Best way to describe it is a combo between Carcassonne, Canton, and Yahtzee. 25 to 30 minutes. Very strategy weighted. The best parr is you have to use completely different strategies on every game. 4.5 out of 5 stars. There is a multi-player version I have not played.http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachm...1&d=1395598826
Attached Images

Last edited by Quoydogs; 03-23-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #70
Meck77

Where is the younger generation of omane tailgaters?! Back in the day we had halfway naked chicks dancing on the bus, jello shots, pig roasts and burning rival gear, mobile hot tubs, and security trying to contain us!. Next year it's going to be old married men playing board games drinking juice! Kaylore glad you got to experience a little chaos from back in the day! *Excuse me while I go change the babies diaper*
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #71
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Hell yeah it was your fault! At least that's what I'm telling myself to smooth my fragile ego

No expansions other than the additional players. The 3 girls all cooperated and were as helpful to anyone as could be, all 3 of us guys were conniving and trying to benefit ourselves the most. Of course the gals all did awesome. Everyone other than my wife and myself had played before. Ultimately it was the longest road and turning settlements into cities that put the winner over the top.

I underestimated the importance of the higher rolled numbers. I placed my developments where they were surrounded by a good variety of resources, but they were all at numbers that had a lower chance of being rolled. That's what really did me in.
Yeah you can't build around a bunch of 2's and 3's and think you're going to get anywhere.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #72
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
There is a new 2 player game out called Agricola. Best way to describe it is a combo between Carcassonne, Canton, and Yahtzee. 25 to 30 minutes. Very strategy weighted. The best parr is you have to use completely different strategies on every game. 4.5 out of 5 stars. There is a multi-player version I have not played.http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachm...1&d=1395598826
I think Agricola and Starship of Catan are two of my favorite 2 person games. It's been out since 2007, so it's nearing a decade since release. In board game geek terms, that's not that new. In relation to most of the general populace that believe Monopoly is a good game, I suppose it is new.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #73
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
I think Agricola and Starship of Catan are two of my favorite 2 person games. It's been out since 2007, so it's nearing a decade since release. In board game geek terms, that's not that new. In relation to most of the general populace that believe Monopoly is a good game, I suppose it is new.
Our game guys said this was new . He had to order it. He said that he can't keep it in stock. This is a new version or something like that. Does the 07 version look like that ? I don't think the guy would lie. Its a pretty cool place.
" Agricola All Creatures big and small "
Release date 2012 but I think he said that it just got released in the states.

Last edited by Quoydogs; 03-23-2014 at 12:04 PM..
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #74
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
Our game guys said this was new . He had to order it. He said that he can't keep it in stock. This is a new version or something like that. Does the 07 version look like that ? I don't think the guy would lie. Its a pretty cool place.
" Agricola All Creatures big and small "
Release date 2012 but I think he said that it just got released in the states.
Ah, Agricola All Creatures big and small is a spin-off of the original Argicola game.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #75
Headless Hessian Rider
SB is only for old QB's !

Prediction SB win within 3 years!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
'sack' dumervil

Quote:

So what about all of you? Any board games you enjoy?
Difficault to say , as i own over 1000 Boardgames....( not all played yet) but nice to see that some german boardgames are played overseas too. We played Settlers of Catan very intensive including all the expansions and variants Like Starship Catan. Carcassone is already a classic game too.

I like Blood Bowl too combines football and Fantasy :-)

Recently i supported some projects on Spiele-Offenive.de which cooperates sometimes with kickstarter too.
Headless Hessian Rider is offline   Reply With Quote