The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Broncos planning for run-heavy attack in 2016?

Whether Mark Sanchez or Paxton Lynch wins the job this summer, the Denver Broncos don't plan to ask their starting quarterback to save the world.

Coming out of the club's offseason program, running back C.J. Anderson made it clear that life without Peyton Manning would include a newfound emphasis on the ground game.

"I don't think there's a question what coach (Gary Kubiak) wants to do," Anderson said recently, per ESPN.com's Jeff Legwold. "All you have to do is look out there and see a fullback running around ... I mean, we even drafted one. (Kubiak) wants to run the ball."

The Broncos used a two-back alignment on just 25 snaps last year, but this offseason has placed a premium on growing tougher up front. Tackles Russell Okung and Donald Stephenson were added to the mix while the team's two fullbacks -- Juwan Thompson and rookie Andy Janovich -- saw plenty of action during OTAs.

The Broncos also re-signed runner Ronnie Hillman and matched Miami's $18-million offer to Anderson, leaving Kubiak to say: "C.J. is ready to be an every-down guy. Just watching him, I think his condition level is the best that I've seen it since I've been here. You all watch him practice. He's had a really good offseason."

LINKhttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
Ziggy
Perennial Pro-bowler

Noob

There was never any question. With Manning gone, Kubes can finally run his own offense. They will build a dominant running game in Denver. Combine it with this D and it's game over.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Booker

D coordinators will certainly know it will be run heavy. 11 up at the line and it's a 3 and out. Sanchez blows. Only a matter of a few games before Lynch or Semian takes over.

For this plan to work, ZERO injuries on the OL need to happen.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #4
Requiem
The OM's #1 Draft Pick

~ ~ ~

It's a great plan and something Kubiak probably wishes he could have done more of last year. Run effectively and often, which can open up the passing options for whoever the QB is. With a defense like ours, wearing out the opposing defense with ball control courtesy of a heavy dose trio of Anderson, Hillman and Booker and it sounds like a pretty good recipe for success. Hopefully the OL can get it going in the trenches.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Here's hoping the OL is vastly improved...
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
D coordinators will certainly know it will be run heavy. 11 up at the line and it's a 3 and out. Sanchez blows. Only a matter of a few games before Lynch or Semian takes over.

For this plan to work, ZERO injuries on the OL need to happen.
We were run heavy last year too, maybe not at the start of the year but as Manning threw INT after INT and then got hurt and Oss took over we were a run 1st team.

Having a young QB who can boot out and widen out the D should help the run game along with huge upgrades at multiple OL positions. Plus all of our QB's can take shots down field and keep D's from jumping in the box like they did with Manning playing WR's tight.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
4Horsemen
Pro Bowler

Go pound salt Panther Nation!

we will take some shots downfield in the game(s).

look for low scoring and frustrating the other team until they make a mistake or we put them into a mistake and the D capitalizes. really not much different from last year honestly. helps develp PL as well, even if he sees the field, it won't be all on his shoulders and Kube's will let him break the pocket a bit too.

then comes playoff time and...

UNLEASH HELL!!aAA!!!!!

bombs ga-lore, 4th and 7 "go for its", fake punts AND fake chip shots. LATERALS!!!XXSXZZ!!!!!
4Horsemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
We were run heavy last year too, maybe not at the start of the year but as Manning threw INT after INT and then got hurt and Oss took over we were a run 1st team.
Actually they weren't - Manning averaged 36.78 passing attempts per game. Osweiler 39.29. They had 302 passing attempts games 1-8 and 304 for games 9-16.

They passed 59.59% of the time last year
59.21% in 2014
59.68% in 2013
55.65% in 2012

in 2015 they had 441 rushing attempts for a 4.2 yard average.
2014- 443 attempts and 4.0 yard average.
2013- 461 attempts and 4.1 and yard average.
2012- 481 attempts and 3.8 and yard average.

So Kubes was no more run oriented than the "Manning" offense.

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 07-06-2016 at 03:52 PM..
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Kubes averaged 44.57% run percentage while with the Texans.

44.71% as OC of the Ravens and 40.41% last year with Denver.

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 07-06-2016 at 03:52 PM..
Old 07-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Booker

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

Having a young QB who can boot out and widen out the D should help the run game along with huge upgrades at multiple OL positions. Plus all of our QB's can take shots down field and keep D's from jumping in the box like they did with Manning playing WR's tight.

I don't remember run heavy at all. The percentages gutless posted doesn't reflect it either.

The last thing I want a ****ty offense to become is one dimensional. go down 2 scores is a recipe for disaster for one dimensional offenses. I think it's just more hype and talk than anything. What I expect to see is what the Ravens/Texans looked like with Kubiak. The run/pass ratios were pretty close.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #11
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I don't remember run heavy at all. The percentages gutless posted doesn't reflect it either.

The last thing I want a ****ty offense to become is one dimensional. go down 2 scores is a recipe for disaster for one dimensional offenses. I think it's just more hype and talk than anything. What I expect to see is what the Ravens/Texans looked like with Kubiak. The run/pass ratios were pretty close.
Back in the day, 1997-1998 Kubes called 50% and 52% run. He hasn't been like that in quite some time but that is all people here seem to remember.

If he was chucking it with Oz he will chuck it with Sanchez.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #12
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Booker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Back in the day, 1997-1998 Kubes called 50% and 52% run. He hasn't been like that in quite some time but that is all people here seem to remember.

Yep. Leading or trailing will affect some of the percentages, but IMO it's gonna be pretty close. If CJ is ballin keep feeding him but if they are getting 0-2 yard gains on run plays I don't want to see them forcing the run. Gotta have other ways to move the chains. Weapons like DT and Sanders should be relied on a lot in this offense too.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #13
Punisher
®Spreading the Wealth

97,98,2015 Champs WOOOOOOOOOOOO!®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7

Run that ****ing ball
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #14
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

It's a passing league and Kubes knows it.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:14 PM   #15
delany
Uber Bronco

Run or pass...I don't care. Just don't turn it over. It is always a premium stat..but turnover differential this year for Denver will tell the tale. Leash needs to be very short for anyone who coughs it up.
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:54 PM   #16
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Going run heavy is the smart thing to do, especially with the QB situation and the defense that the Broncos have. It's a great way to hide a mediocre/bad QB and support a great defense.

Remember that Sanchez went to two conference championship games with the Jets, when they had a really good defense and they were run heavy. Pretty much took him out of the equation. That should be the plan this year.

If the ground game works, the offense should be better than last year, and if the defense is just as good, this team could be better.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #17
LeftCoastBronco
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

A bend don't break offense, and a quick hitting attack defense...

A reversal of roles for today's NFL?
LeftCoastBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #18
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

SB50 CHAMPION BRONCOS!

Quote:

Ok so maybe it is the end of games when we ran 3 downs then punted that skewed my memory.

Also running in predictable run situations as well.

So we were 17th at running the ball which shows great balance and 17th in rushes per game with 25.7 rushes per game. So we were a **** hair over perfect balance. Sure felt like we ran a lot more than that.

I don't expect Kubes would not want to steer away from a balanced attack next year. The big thing would be if we do start the Rookie he may go the Alice/Tebow one read and run ROUT (get it? ROUT ) which skews the Panthers rush numbers because Newton keeps the ball a lot and runs.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #19
Rohirrim
Partisan

Got to see Lady Gaga

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shaq Barrett

At 5280 feet of altitude the run is the way to go. I remember a time when we could start every season marking down 8 wins for the home games.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #20
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:

Well if you have TD, you get TD the rock. I am surprised it wasn't 65% run.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #21
Rabb
Ring of Famer

I'm pretty excited to see Booker play.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:07 PM   #22
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
It's a passing league and Kubes knows it.
Everybody always says that but the 2 teams in the Superbowl last year were not great passing teams. Funny huh.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #23
Vottomatic19
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If the offense is operating properly, it should be a 50/50 split between run and pass. Which, compared to the rest of the league, will look run-heavy.
Vottomatic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #24
Rabb
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Everybody always says that but the 2 teams in the Superbowl last year were not great passing teams. Funny huh.
Carolina was 7th in passing. Arizona, New England and Pittsburgh all in the top 5 and there near the end.

It's still a passing league which is why guys like Von are so important.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #25
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There are only one or two teams every year that run more than they pass. So by that metric you certainly can say it is a passing league.