The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #26
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

I thought Clady was done after he tore his patellar tendon. The guy has proven to recover from tough injuries so I will remain cautiously optimistic.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #27
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I would. Annoying last name to type.
Then don't type in his last name. Call him X. OG and MLB might be the only positions that a Rookie could come in and start right away. Picking up the best Guard in the draft at the end of round 1 would be a good pick imo.
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #28
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I would. Annoying last name to type.
He is a good prospect though.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #29
Fitzy47
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Well it's been said in the past that Clady also has those special recovery qualities. And I believe Miller's ACL wasn't all that serious. Not entirely sure but I thought I saw something that said Miller's injury was the type that wasn't super serious and wouldn't require a lengthy recovery period.
I know that Chris Harris's ACL injury was only a "partial tear," I haven't heard about Von's. Harris should be back for Training Camp is what I heard.

As for Clady... I think if the front office wasn't confident in his progress and successful return, I don't think they would have let Beadles go so easily. No Clady means we don't have the luxury of shuffling around the Oline like we have discussed. I could be wrong, but that's my thought process.
Fitzy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #30
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy47 View Post
As for Clady... I think if the front office wasn't confident in his progress and successful return, I don't think they would have let Beadles go so easily. No Clady means we don't have the luxury of shuffling around the Oline like we have discussed. I could be wrong, but that's my thought process.
Not only that, but one would think that they would have committed some major resourced to the OL in FA.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #31
Fitzy47
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Not only that, but one would think that they would have committed some major resourced to the OL in FA.
Great point!
Fitzy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #32
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
The Broncos have already said they want to run the ball better next season and are already working through plans to make that happen.
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...est-to-do-less

Whatever that means...
Old 03-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #33
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
why is everyone convinced Clady is back? I'd say it's more like a 50/50 shot he's back and still be a top 5 LT.
Not absolutely sure he will be back to what he was. However, I have to assume the FO thinks he will be or I would think the FA picks would be different.

Last edited by dsmoot; 03-17-2014 at 05:24 PM..
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #34
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
i did not see this coming

Peyton did.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #35
dsmoot
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
That article, especially what Elway should have learned in 97/98, is right on. Superior OL, add TD, add opportunistic defense who could pressure the QB and an offensive philosophy that took advantage of Johns skills equaled success. Much, much better than the Reeves teams of the 80s.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #36
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Best remaining FA's:
Quote:
Guards

1. Travelle Wharton
2. Willie Colon
3. Brian Waters

Wharton delivered a really solid 2013 season for the Panthers, yet his age (33 in May) and injury history (missed all of 2012 with a knee issue) may be holding him back. Needy teams could fare worse. The scouting report on Colon is nearly the same: He’ll be 31 in April and is coming off a torn biceps suffered in Week 17. Add that injury to 15 missed games in 2011 and suitors will be wary. Waters was en route to a terrific 2013 season as a 36-year-old. He then tore his triceps and lost nine games while on injured reserve, a setback that may limit him to a Dallas-or-bust situation this offseason.
http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/17/2014-nf...ining-offense/
Old 03-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #37
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Well it's been said in the past that Clady also has those special recovery qualities. And I believe Miller's ACL wasn't all that serious. Not entirely sure but I thought I saw something that said Miller's injury was the type that wasn't super serious and wouldn't require a lengthy recovery period.
Miller and Harris are both still young but Clady is getting to the point where special recovery qualities start to fade. Lisfranc is pretty concerning for a guy who has to plant on every single play and repair of these injuries hasn't advanced the way that ACL's have. Just have to hope that he can return to form and that we can acquire a quality backup veteran guard and center.
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #38
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
...Franklin might move inside and Chris Clark, who replaced injured all-pro Ryan Clady at left tackle last season, might swing over to right tackle, Franklin's usual position.

Or they might not. The team is undecided. A dark-horse possibility at left guard: Ben Garland. The former Air Force defensive tackle has been a member of Denver's practice squad the past two years.

"He's got that mentality you want," Elway said of Garland. "He's tough, he's strong and he's smart. Obviously, he's very inexperienced, but he's got a chance to come in and compete."
Read more: Broncos' Ben Garland a contender to replace left guard Zane Beadles - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2wzGr3HvD
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
Old 03-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #39
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster

MHR discussion: http://t.co/5JF0CnP17B

Schlereth seems to think that RG is the best position for Franklin. It seemed like Franklin was a great run blocker, but did get beat by quick edge rushers in pass protection. I think Clark is a little better at run blocking than he is at pass blocking (though he's generally solid at both). Franklin has experience at G and Clark has experience at RT, so that's encouraging. It sounds like we have a few different options to work with, so I'm pretty hopeful we'll have a solid O-line next season.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #40
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Garland, lol.

No John, you draft one of the top 5 G's in the draft and call it a day sir.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #41
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Garland, lol.

Agreed. Garland is a converted DT. I don't mind us giving him a shot in training camp, but I hope we have a couple of back-up plans. I would think we can draft a G in the 2nd or 3rd round. Gabe Jackson out of MS State might be available. He's a fantastic run blocker.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #42
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

I think that Clady coming back 100% is a poor bet. Maybe 80%, but there is also the possibility that he cannot get back to being able to play LT at all, although healthy enough to do normal activities without problems. IMO, Clady has never been that great at run blocking, either. All pro at protecting QB, but only average on run plays. ( He does get downfield on passes well).

And Run blocking has got to improve if we want to win next year.

With Beadles, Kuper, Walton gone and the way the entire line got pushed around in the SB, our O-line is a major point to improve right now. It all starts in the trenches , right? And depth is questionable. They thought that Kuper and Walton were going to be fine last year and that turned very sour, quickly. We lucked out with Clark and ManRam being able to fill nicely.

Obviously the Broncos want to go BPA and we have a few positions of need ( MLB, CB, OL, WR) but I wouldn't be surprised if two of our top 4 picks are OL, and at least one is a 1 or 2. It all depends on who is available when we pick and if the guy can start right away. There are no sure things in the draft also.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #43
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Garland, lol.

This, I kinda chuckled out loud.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #44
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
The main issue left? Guard. Beadles bolted for Jacksonville and John Elway has yet to address that spot on the field (RT Orlando Franklin also has some terrible moments, including in the Super Bowl). Could a problematic O-line be Denver’s undoing down the line?
http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/26/2014-nf...cy-grades-afc/
Old 03-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #45
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Put Gabe Jackson on this line and you take it to another level.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #46
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Drafting a guard seems obvious, at least in the top 3 rounds, but don't expect Elway to come out and let the world know, "hey, we're drafting a guard with out top pick or with our 2nd rounder."
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #47
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

This draft is loaded with OL. Crossing my fingers we don't blow a second rounder from some dude who played 6 years at Valley Forge Technical College. I mean come on. No more nickel and diming it in the draft. Gabe jacksom or someone who you can look at and immediately get the idea that hed punch a dude in the head if he had to. No nonsense... it is a top 2 round need amd if john elway cant find a good ol in this draft he better check out whats been going on
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #48
pricejj
jungle

Round 2 for OL.

Round 1 has got to be LB or bust.

Trade up in round 3 for a CB.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #49
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Round 2 for OL.

Round 1 has got to be LB or bust.

Trade up in round 3 for a CB.
too many good players to narrow it to 1 position each round. if Mosley or Shazier aren't there I don't really see the point of forcing LB in the 1st. that approach is just asking for a letdown of a draft imo
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #50
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
too many good players to narrow it to 1 position each round. if Mosley or Shazier aren't there I don't really see the point of forcing LB in the 1st. that approach is just asking for a letdown of a draft imo
Exactly. They're not going to draft by need in the first round.