The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #26
rolandftw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

With the 25th pick, the San Diego Chargers select Jason Verrett, CB, TCU

Last edited by rolandftw; 03-20-2014 at 10:34 PM..
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #27
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

With the 26th Selection -- The Cleveland Browns select: Odell Beckham, Jr. -- WR / Playmaker -- LSU

Couldn't get Watkins, got a Teddy "KGB" and word on the street is that Josh Gordon needed a running mate and Greg Little wasn't going to cut it. Beckham will help stretch the field to give more single attention to Gordon, and be an instant upgrade on special teams. More to come later.

Selection was made at 11:00 AM (CST) -- The New Orleans Saints and ThumpPC are officially "On The Clock."
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #28
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Thumpc and new orleans select Dee Ford, DE, Auburn. I believe he will post a write up soon.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #29
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

With the 28th overall pick, the Carolina Panthers select Brandin Cooks, WR from Oregon State University.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Special athlete with explosive feet and natural burst - springs in his legs. Fluid body control with excellent start/stop moves, open-field vision and patient hesitation to elude defenders - joystick moves with loose hips and joints. Beautiful acceleration with speed to burn - electric after the catch.
Quick hands to adjust and pluck with very good coordination to look the ball into his mitts. Quick footwork to set up his routes and fool defenders - has worked hard to fine-tune this area. Works hard to max out his frame.

Strong football character. Tough individual - has never missed a game at any level. Experience on special teams as a return man - became full-time punt returner in 2013 (6.0 average). Very productive and 2013 Biletnikoff Award winner as nation's top receiver - set Oregon State and Pac-12 records for catches (128) and receiving yards (1,730), also setting new school record for touchdown catches (24).

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal size with below average height and length for the position. Limited strength, muscle and overall growth potential. Struggles with physical defenders and doesn't have ideal body strength - will be overwhelmed in man coverage. Looks to avoid contact and would much rather escape out of bounds or go around defenses. Needs to secure the ball through the process to eliminate drops and fumbles. Smallish target for quarterbacks.

COMPARES TO: Tavon Austin, St. Louis Rams - Cooks is a slightly bigger, not as fast version of Austin due to explosive feet, open-field moves and natural athleticism that makes him a home-run threat whenever he touches the ball.

--Dane Brugler (1/2/14)

PLAYER OVERVIEW

Cooks grew up in Stockton, Calif. and went on to become a three-sport start at Lincoln High School, where he also played basketball and competed as a sprinter while earning the nickname of "Sonic Boom."
Rated as the No. 22 receiver in the nation by Rivals.com, Cooks committed to Oregon State and played in all 12 games with three starts as a freshman.

Cooks really burst onto the scene in 2012 as a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award after posting 1,151 receiving yards. Anyone concerned that Cooks' numbers were inflated while playing opposite Markus Wheaton had their fears curbed in 2013, when Cooks won the Biletnikoff Award after leading the FBS with 1,670 receiving yards during the regular season.

At just 5-10 and 186 pounds, he lacks elite size for the position, but he shines with his natural athleticism and dynamic ability before and after he touches the ball.

Pick was made on 8:08 pm PST on 3/20/2014.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #30
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

With the 29th pick in the 2014 Orangemane Mock Draft:

The New England Patriots select:

Irish Chocolate (His nickname not mine)

Louis Nix III - DT - Notre Dame

Whilst other GM's nit-pick through combine times and drills, the Patriots focus on what players have done in their collegiate careers to date and this guy was No1 on their board from the mid teens. They feared somewhat that the Chargers may take him at 25 given their obvious NT need but somehow he's still there.

Given the obvious issues with the Patriots internal DL positions at present, the selection is a total no-brainer. At this point they're not sure whether Vince will be a Patriot in a day's time, a week who knows. If he is or he isn't adding Louis to the Nix can only help a line that suffered against the run game last year with first year players Joe Vellano, Chris Jones and the former Patriot, Isaac Sopoaga (gimme that pick back Eagles). In one offseason you could literally say the Patriots defense has improved no end, with the acquistions of Revis and Browner on the back end and now Nix up front. Let us also not forget they managed to get rid of their worst linebacker in Brandon Spikes, which will now allow Bill to get the dynamic Collins, Mayo and Hightower all on the field at the same time and in what they feel are their best roles.

Selection was made at 11.41 PM (ET) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers and BowlenBall are officially "On The Clock."
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #31
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

With the 30th pick in the 2014 Orange Mane Mock Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers proudly select:

DE Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame

Measurables
Height: 6' 05"
Weight: 304 lbs.
Arm: 34.75"
Hand: 10"
40-yard dash: ? (injured, did not perform at combine)
225 lb. bench: 31
Vertical jump: ? (injured, did not perform at combine)
Broad jump: ? (injured, did not perform at combine)
3-cone drill: ? (injured, did not perform at combine)
Short shuttle: ? (injured, did not perform at combine)

Career Statistics

Analysis/Breakdown (from NFL.com)
STRENGTHS
Looks the part -- has prototypical dimensions for a five-technique. Long-armed to play off blocks. Holds his ground at the point of attack. Can stack and shed. Has excellent movement skill for a man his size. Plays on his feet. Coordinated and in control of his body. Knee bender able to flatten or redirect efficiently. Strong wrap tackler. Scheme and position versatile -- played end and tackle in even and odd fronts. Notched 20.5 sacks in 28 career starts. Disrupts passing lanes.

WEAKNESSES
Monotone edge rusher -- not a quick-twitch athlete (average get-off quickness). Can play with more consistent leverage. Hip and shoulder stiffness shows when he attempts to bend the corner. Can do a better job shooting his hands with authority to jolt blockers. Needs to become a better hands fighter and develop pass-rush moves. Can play with more violence. Average intensity and relentlessness.

BOTTOM LINE
Hulking, long-armed, physically gifted defensive lineman with desirable size, strength, athleticism and versatility to appeal as a five-technique or as a defensive tackle or base end in a 4-3. Was not in peak condition for his junior season, but has disruptive upside.

Rationale for the pick from BowlenBall:
The Pittsburgh Steelers need dominant 5-technique defensive ends to make Dick LeBeau's scheme work well. Tuitt looks like a rich-man's Aaron Smith to me, a player who can set and control the edge AND pressure the quarterback on throwing downs. He's sliding down draft boards because he wasn't able to perform at the combine, but I have no doubt that he's a physical freak and a bargain at #31.

Last edited by BowlenBall; 03-22-2014 at 09:06 PM..
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #32
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I am in a meeting, so I'll update more later.

DEN selects Xavier Su'a-Filo OG UCLA..........
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #33
schaaf
Aint nothin but a G Thang

Abe's giving em the biznez

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

At work now but I'll fill out details this afternoon...

Seattle selects Kelvin Benjamin WR, FSU.
schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #34
Conklin
Ring of Famer

the nyj select Bradley Roby, CB - Ohio State
I'm out shopping with wife, will do write-up later
pick made at 3:50 pm mountain time.

- Elite top-end speed. Plays like a corner who can run a 4.30.

- Burst is commensurate with his speed. Recovery ability is top notch.

- Physical and uses hands extraordinarily well. Can fight through physical receivers legally.

- Hip flexion is solid. Doesn't get turned around very much and can transition smoothly.

- Size is good for a corner at 5-foot-11, 195 pounds.

- Aggressive and willing run defender.

Last edited by Conklin; 03-21-2014 at 09:49 PM..
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #35
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

The Atlanta Falcons select...

Kony Ealy, DE/OLB, Missouri
6-4 / 273 LBS.

Pro Day - Mar 20:
Unofficial 4.57 40
32-inch vertical
Quality time with a Falcons scout

BOTTOM LINE Big, athletic, ascending, pass-rush talent with the size, burst and flexibility to pressurize the edge as a right defensive end. Is not a finished product, particularly as a run defender, but should only become more disruptive as his strength, technique and savvy catch up with his natural physical ability. Could also draw looks as a 3-4 rush linebacker.

Ealy's draft diary:
Quote:
Every one of these teams at some point in the game is going to put my hand in the dirt. Some of them like me as a standup linebacker. It's pretty much the same deal as how the 49ers utilize Aldon Smith – sometimes, they stand him up, and sometimes, they stick his hand in the dirt. Some teams could see me playing a 3-4 defensive end, five-tech, with a little bit of extra weight. Some teams want to see me standing up in a two-point coming off the edge as a Jack linebacker.

I just want to play football, man. I really enjoy the game. I've been all the way around the defense. I've played the offensive side of the ball, so I kind of know both tendencies. I take my game to a different level as far as the mental part, and I love it. I love every aspect of the game.
Sheldon Richardson, on Kony Ealy: "Everything I see out of him, I see in Aldon"
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #36
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

The Cleveland Browns (#35) are happy to select David Yankey, OG -- Stanford.

Baltimore is now OTC. (5:25 PM, CST)
Old 03-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #37
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Baltimore Ravens select:

Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #38
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

The Cleveland Browns, with the #37 selection, acquired from the Washington Redskins are proud to select: Lamarcus Joyner, DB -- Florida State University

Fantastic write-up on Joyner here.

The Browns could use some help in their secondary and need some leadership qualities on that side of the ball. Joyner doesn't have the best size, but he plays all over the DB and was one of the best team leaders and player I have ever seen in all my years of being a Seminoles fan. He will create turnovers and help with our return game as well. I have him as a very high second round grade -- and graded as a Top 5 DB (overall) in this class. He is versatile to play inside, outside and at safety. Some people might think this is a reach -- but it is not. Watch the tape. Watch his games. He does everything quite well and is a tremendous asset. I think he could be this years Tyriann Mattheui.

Will play CB (for positional bonus purposes for draft) for Cleveland.

Welcome to the club, Joyner -- you join these bad boys.

Pick made at 6:49 PM (CST) -- Traveler and the Bucs are OTC.

Last edited by Requiem; 03-21-2014 at 05:58 PM..
Old 03-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #39
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

With the 38th overall pick of the 2014 OM Mock Draft the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, 6-5 / 262 lbs., Washington Huskies

STRENGTHS: Broad-shouldered, long-armed mismatch in the passing game with rare body control and soft hands for a man of his size. Good initial quickness off the snap and possesses very long arms and strong hands to get a clean release off the line of scrimmage.

Reliable route-runner. Finds holes in the defense and settles, presenting a massive target to his quarterback. Catches the ball with defenders in close proximity due to his size advantage, as well as concentration and toughness to hang on while absorbing a hit. Impressive flexibility and body control for a man of his size. Adjusts well to the ball, showing the range to leap high or bend low, exhibiting an impressive catch radius. Smooth accelerator with at least fair top-end speed.

Imposing ballcarrier with the ball in his hands, capable of running through arm-tackles. Improved significantly as a blocker in 2013, showing greater strength and aggression as the Huskies featured others in a new high-octane spread offense.

Displayed humility and accountability by serving one-day sentence in jail and speaking to youth (along with the arresting officer, and a mother of a high school-aged student killed in a DUI-related accident) about the dangers of alcohol after pleading guilty to a DUI rather than pleading out and taking a lesser sentence.

WEAKNESSES: Not as physically dominating as his size would indicate, playing with more finesse and technique than power. Does not possess the straight-line speed to challenge as a deep threat down the seam and isn't a nifty runner capable of eluding would-be tacklers.

DUI conviction based on a single-car accident on March 9, 2013 in which Seferian-Jenkins reportedly registered a 0.18 blood-alcohol content rating, more than twice Washington's .08 legal limit. Suffered a broken right pinkie prior to the 2013 season.

COMPARES TO: Marcedes Lewis, Jacksonville Jaguars - Like the former UCLA Bruins star, Seferian-Jenkins unique size and hands made him almost impossible to cover in college, especially in the red zone. Less than elite speed and fluidity, however, makes Seferian-Jenkins more of a traditional security blanket over the middle rather than the Jimmy Graham-like seam threat so en vogue in today's NFL.

--Rob Rang

Pick made at 10:25 PM EST ColoradoBuff in on the clock
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #40
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default leapfrogging Jacksonville the Vikings select at #39

SS Jimmie Ward from Northern Illinois

The Vikings other safeties besides Harrison Smith are complete garbage. Ward would be an instant upgrade. Not overly big but has good speed and is a ballhawk (10int's over last 2 years) and an excellent tackler (approx. 200 tackles over last 2 years)....3rd best safety after Clinton Dix and Pryor....best SS in the draft.
Attached Images

jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #41
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

2nd round, pick 9 of OM Mock Draft™ Buffalo Bills select:

Jordan Matthews, WR Vanderbilt

Fictitious Bills GM says:
Looking for some help on offense, Matthews is big and with a big catch radius EJ or one of the backups can hopefully getthe ball near him. He might remind some juuuuuuuuuuust a little bit of Ed McCaffrey. He also wears Eddie Mac's #87. He's also Jerry Rice's cousin. Can play inside or outside and after he ran a 4.46 40 at the Combine his stock could be rising. Either way, Buffalo needs help on the outside with Stevie Johnson getting older and his groin a seemingly annual issue. Matthews can move around the formation and team with Robert Woods and Stevie Johnson to open things up a bit for Buffalo.

BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #42
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

With our Second round pick
The Jag's pick Derek Carr so he can go on to be the future failure the rest of our player are.

:
Invalid File

Analysis
Strengths
Athletic with very good feet -- can roll the pocket, evade the rush or escape when pocket crumbles. Terrific arm talent -- releases from the ear and can make all the throws. Quick-armed with wrist snap. Can alter his platform and throw on the move or off his back foot. Throws come out on time and accurately. Drills short-to-intermediate throws and flashes touch. Likes to play and it shows. Sells out to make a play. Record-breaking production. Adapted to coaching/system change and receiver turnover. Improved ball security -- fumbled only once as a senior compared to 12 times the previous two seasons. Desirable intangibles for the position -- advanced maturity, leadership and intelligence. Shows poise and moxie. On-field general who commands the huddle. Passionate about the game and works at his craft. Three-time captain.
Weaknesses
Lacks ideal height and has relatively small hands. Bulk is just adequate. Could stand to improve as a deep passer. At times tries to do too much and forces some throws. Occasionally throws off balance unnecessarily and sails some throws. Operated out of the shotgun and pistol and made a lot short/lateral throws and half-field reads. Production is inflated by spread offense and porous Mountain West Conference defenses -- nine 2013 opponents (excluding an FCS opponent) ranked between 81st and 125th nationally in scoring defense and/or passing defense. Had his worst game in the Las Vegas Bowl against USC. Could face bust-factor perception resulting from his older brother’s career.
Draft Projection
Rounds 1-2
Bottom Line
Athletic, tough, instinctive, strong-armed, highly competitive quarterback who will impress in workouts, interviews and on the board. Elevated the Fresno State program and profiles like a gunslinger, though he’d be better served in the long run honing his game-management skills. Will be a starter sooner rather than later and the degree to which he’s able to make those around him better will determine his ceiling.

Last edited by Quoydogs; 03-22-2014 at 09:51 AM..
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #43
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer

Remember Darrent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD

Rnd 2 Pick 11

Jimmy Garopollo, QB, EIU

With a hobbled Locker and potential Charlie Whitehurst as your only options this has to be addressed even if at a premium.

Player Overview

A quarterback prospect who isn't as well-known in a class full of marquee names, Garoppolo continued to generate buzz in NFL circles as he broke all of Tony Romo's career school records, as well as all of the Ohio Valley Conference passing records.Garoppolo's career included a record-breaking senior season that led to the 2013 Walter Payton Award after throwing for 5,050 yards and 53 touchdowns. He recorded 11 300-plus-yard games in 2013, and five with 400-plus while throwing just nine interceptions in 568 attempts. He was also named first team FCS All-American by the Associated Press.
Garoppolo leaves the college ranks with 13,156 passing yards and 118 passing touchdowns in his career.
Garoppolo is much more than a funny looking last name. He isn't the biggest and lacks a huge arm, but he has an above average understanding of offensive football and uses his quick eyes and touch to push the ball downfield. He grades as a top 100 prospect for several NFL scouts, and could continue to rise with strong pre-draft workouts.
MrPeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #44
Shananahan
Custom User Title

The New York Giants select:

Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU

Year: Senior
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 243lbs
Arms: 31 5/8"
Hands: 9 5/8"
40-yard: 4.71 seconds
Bench: 21 reps
Vertical: 32 1/2"
Broad jump: 9'3"
Shuttle: 4.20 seconds
3-cone drill: 7.22 seconds

Statistics:

Strengths
Has a muscular, well-proportioned build. Quick get-off. Knifes gaps. Good pass-rush ability -- can push the pocket or pressure the edge. Keeps working to the quarterback and has deceptive closing speed. Eyes the quarterback and tries to get his hands in the passing lane. Athletic with good movement skills in all directions -- equipped to keep pace with backs and tight ends in coverage. Is rangy and can open up his stride and run vertical. Glides on the field. Scheme versatile. Football smart.

Weaknesses
Lacks elite length and flexibility to bend and flatten. Average instincts and diagnose. Still developing eye discipline. Needs to cultivate a more sophisticated arsenal of pass-rush moves. Leaves some production on the field. Leaves his feet to tackle and slips off the ball carrier. Hit-or-miss run defender. Could stand to improve his upper-body strength and stack-and-shed ability. Average motor -- could pursue with more urgency.

Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #45
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

With their second round pick in the OM Draft, the St. Louis Rams select:

Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
6’3”, 336, 40: 5.51, Bench: 30, V. Jump: 29, B. Jump: 108”

BOTTOM LINE Big, thickly built, relatively polished blocker who brings a steadying presence to the interior offensive line. Dependability and effectiveness blocking for pass and run combined with sterling intangibles, including football intelligence, make him capable of starting as a rookie and holding down a position for years to come. (NFL)

Pick made at 1:32 MST. Detroit on the clock

Last edited by Rohirrim; 03-22-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #46
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

WITH THE 45TH SELECTION IN THE 2014 NFL DRAFT,
THE CINCINNATI BENGALS SELECT:

DE KAREEM MARTIN, NORTH CAROLINA

• 2014 Reese's Senior Bowl Participant - North
• 2013 All-ACC First Team
• 2013 Preseason All-ACC
• 2013 Hendricks Award Midseason Watch List
• 2013 Hendricks Award Watch List
• 2013 Bednarik Award Watch List
• 2013 Nagurski Trophy Watch List
• 2012 All-ACC Second Team (Coaches and Media)

COLLEGIATE PRODUCTION:
2010 (Freshman): 16 Tackles, 2 Stuffs, 1 Pass Defended
2011 (Sophomore): 40 Tackles, 7 Stuffs, 4 Sacks, 6 Passes Defended.
2012 (Junior): 40 Tackles, 16 Stuffs, 4 Sacks, 3 Passes Defended, 1 Forced Fumble.
2013 (Senior): 82 Tackles, 22 Stuffs, 12 Sacks, 3 Passes Defended, 3 Forced Fumbles.

COMBINE STATS AND INCREDIBLE ATHLETICISM:

6'6, 270 lbs, 35" Arms, 10" Hands
4.72 40 Yard Dash.
1.53 10 Yard Split.
35'5 Vertical Jump
10'9 Broad Jump
22 Reps of 225
7.2 3 Cone Drill

Martin's 10 Yard split in the 40 is the best of all defensive linemen at the Combine and probably in this entire draft. At 1.53, that is insanely quick and that burst is reinforced by his Combine D-line best 10'9 Broad Jump, which measures that initial explosion. The next best 10 yard split was 1.56, which is a huge difference, and that was by Clowney, Mack, Barr, and Ronald Powell. 22 Reps with 35" arms is also ridiculous strength, and those arms are the longest of any DE in this draft. This is a ridiculous athlete with flawless size and length for a DE in the NFL. He was also very productive in college, improving every season, significantly so his Senior Year, where he was one of the most productive D-linemen in college football, period.

WHAT OTHERS SAY

"STRENGTHS: Certainly looks the part of a first round pick, boasting broad shoulders, long arms and a trim middle reminiscent of an NBA power forward. Offers good initial quickness off the snap, as well as straight-line speed to close quickly on the ball-carrier. Martin's best attribute is his strength at the point of attack. He gets a strong initial jolt to his opponent, quickly locking out to survey the action and showing the strength to rip himself free and pursue or stay home, as needed. While not particularly fluid, Martin's length and strength aid him as a tackler, as he's able to grab hold of the ball-carrier and throw him to the ground. Possesses the frame to handle moving inside on obvious passing downs, using his burst to split gaps."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p.../kareem-martin

"North Carolina has an impressive tradition of athletes and that has really shown up in its defensive linemen. The next in that line is Kareem Martin, another impressive athlete who has been able to have a productive senior year for the Tar Heels. The Tar Heels have used him all over their defensive line from a traditional defensive end to playing a 4-technique head up over the tackle to a 5-technique to playing a 3-technique defensive tackle in situations. They constantly moved him around and allowed him to be a mismatch, stop the run and find ways to harass opposing quarterbacks."

http://withthefirstpick.com/2014/01/...orth-carolina/

HOW KAREEM MARTIN FITS WITH THE BENGALS:

This is the prototype at DE that Marvin Lewis always drafts. He's a spitting image of the DE we just lost in Free Agency named Michael Johnson, perhaps with more long term upside. DE was a need position as we only have LE Carlos Dunlap, rotational RE Wallace Gilberry, and 2nd round bust Margus Hunt. The goal is to start Dunlap at LE as usual, start Gilberry at RE while rotating with Martin heavily until Martin is ready to start. That might be next year. Meanwhile, we'll still continue to develop Hunt, he was always a long term project, and there's still hope he can provide meaningful snaps at LE if Dunlap gets nicked up. We also can cut ties with long term vet Robert Geathers, whose best days are far behind him. Make no mistake, while Hunt was drafted as a long term project, Martin is being brought in to compete to start this year.

Pick Made at 8:45 EST, BowlenBall and the Pittsburgh Steelers are now on the clock.

Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 03-22-2014 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Thourough Write-Up
Mat'hir Uth Gan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #47
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

With the 46th selection in the 2014 Orange Mane Mock Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select:

ILB Chris Borland, Wisconsin

Measurables
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 248
Arm: 29.25"
Hand: 9.88"
40-yard dash: 4.83
225 lb. bench: 27 reps
Vertical jump: 31"
Broad jump: 9' 06"
3-cone drill: 7.79
Short shuttle: 4.27

Career Statistics

Analysis/Breakdown (from NFL.com)
Strengths
Is built low to the ground and bends his knees. Keen eyes and instincts -- has a nose for the ball. Quick to fill downhill (see goal-line play vs. Ohio State when he stuck RB Carlos Hyde in the hole and drove him back). Motor runs hot -- pursues hard and seldom quits on plays. Flows well laterally. Aware in zone. Capable of bringing pressure as a blitzer. Good leaping ability. Intense competitor who loves to play and it shows. Defensive playmaker -- piled up 50 career TFL and 14 FFs. Started 45 career games. Special intangibles.

Weaknesses
Is short with Tyrannosaurus rex arms -- too easily neutralized (struggles to disengage). Eclipsed by larger offensive linemen. Can do a better job protecting his legs. Average explosion, tackle strength and pop on contact. Lets runners escape his grasp. Exposed in space. Has man-coverage limitations, especially against tight ends (lacks length to match up). Durability could be an issue.

Bottom Line
Short, active, athletic, instinctive tackling machine who will have to overcome physical limitations to establish himself as a dependable, long-term starter, though he has immediate special-teams ability and the makeup to push for a more prominent role.

Rationale for the pick from BowlenBall:

He's a war daddy.

Pick made at:
7:00 a.m. Abu Dhabi
11:00 p.m. New York
10:00 p.m. Chicago
9:00 p.m. Denver
8:00 p.m. Los Angeles
7:00 p.m. Anchorage

The Dallas Cowboys and Nickstixx are now on the clock.

Last edited by BowlenBall; 03-22-2014 at 08:57 PM..
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #48
Nickstixx
Mile High til I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

With the 47th selection in the OM draft, the Dallas Cowboys select DE, Scott Crichton, Oregon State.

STRENGTHS Put together -- has a well-proportioned, muscular build with long arms and big hands. Good burst off the snap. Flashes power. Can shoot his hands, extend and get under a tackle’s pads. Generally plays on his feet. Nice closing speed when he has a bead. Strong tackler. Tries for the strip (10 career FFs). Productive three-year starter.

WEAKNESSES Needs to play with lower pad level -- tends to rush upright and defend too tall against the run. Dominated by double teams. Needs to cultivate pass-rush moves and counters -- does not have a plan. Shows overall body stiffness -- struggles to dip and bend the corner with leverage or flexibility. Gets sucked inside and loses contain. Loafs on the back side. Has tweener traits -- lacks ideal athleticism for the right side and bulk for the left side. Inexperienced playing in reverse.

The Cowboys are excited to add Crichton, he plays with a great motor and has the ability to get pressure on the QB. He also has an instinct to make take a swipe at the ball in hopes of jarring it loose and forcing a fumble. With the loss of Ware, this is a needed position for this defense and he should pair well alongside Jernigan or Melton. Very happy with this selection.

Baltimore and BMore are on the clock.
Nickstixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #49
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Baltimore Ravens select:

Brandon Thomas OL Clemson
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #50
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Texans select K. Watkins CB from Florida.

Travel day for me, post write up later.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: