The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
pricejj
jungle

Default Broncos vs Texans: Game Notes

1. After signing Wes Welker, John Elway commented that the Broncos "treat players well". Welker's concussion history is extensive, and he only missed 1 game with NE. Now he gets concussed easily, probably from playing through so many before. I think Welker will play against the Colts, but I would sit him for a month.

2. Bradley Roby went from a head case to looking like the Broncos best CB. Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins are hard covers. Roby gains confidence by the week.

3. Peyton Manning's sack was on Chris Clark, but it wasn't really his fault. Clark was left with no leverage after a hand-off from Louis Vasquez.

4. Clowney didn't play, and Watt only played one series. A few weeks ago Ryan Clady said to give him "2 months" to see where he's at. One month to go, and Clady is progressing just fine after being out of football so long. He still misses some blocks in the run game, but he gets better every week.

5. Emmanuel Sanders nursed his quad injury until Manning called him Wednesday night. He even fake limped after a bomb attempt down the sideline. Sanders offers an element that the Broncos haven't had, even if he has a little diva in him. Welcome to the Broncos man.

6. Demarcus Ware is just money. He looks super-fluid dropping into coverage after spending a career as a 3-4 OLB. He knows just how deep to drop, keeping everything in front of him, and preventing the 1st down.

7. Von Miller almost cried in an interview after the game. He said, "I'll be ready for Indy". He's got a long way to go before he's back to 100%. The Broncos will have to continue to heavily monitor his snap count until he gains a lot more strength in his knee. I don't know how long that will take, but I'd wager he's limited until after the bye.

8. I think Kevin Vickerson showed enough to make the team. It's tough to gauge if he's still feeling discomfort or not, but I liked his performance for a first game back.

9. The Broncos have to be happy with all 4 RB's. All of them have something to offer, even Ronnie Hillman. CJ Anderson is a rumbler. Juwon Thompson is on a mission.

10. It's pretty sad when the Broncos Safeties fill holes faster than their LB's. Heal up quick Danny Trevathan.

11. Matt Prater gets suspended and got the yips back from 40-49. Couldn't be a more perfect opportunity for Mitch Ewald, and he blows it.

12. If it was me, I'd slowly work Chris Harris in to start the season. The emergence of Roby and Omar Bolden has to have everybody thrilled right now.

13. Isaiah Burse did what he had to do to win a roster spot tonight. Need a little more out of him next week, but it looks like the Broncos are all in.

Last edited by pricejj; 08-24-2014 at 02:41 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2014, 03:12 AM   #2
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

I noticed The Texans had to double team Marvin Austin most of the night.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

I'm know they do it well, but with Ware and especially Von, I hate seeing them drop into coverage. They have the athletic talent to do it, and they do it fine. However it is a waste of their true talents. You pay guys like Ware and Von to get sacks and cause mayhem at and behind the LOS. Dropping them into coverage, negates what makes them special.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

You are wrong on the Peyton sack. it was clearly Vasquez's fault
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I'm know they do it well, but with Ware and especially Von, I hate seeing them drop into coverage. They have the athletic talent to do it, and they do it fine. However it is a waste of their true talents. You pay guys like Ware and Von to get sacks and cause mayhem at and behind the LOS. Dropping them into coverage, negates what makes them special.
Versatility is a good thing!

These guys are so valuable because they arn't one trick ponies.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
I agree
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Vasquez and Clark double-teamed the 5-tech. Vasquez had to leave the 5-tech to catch the inside stunting OLB. Clark's responsibility became the 5-tech who sacked Manning, though Clark had no leverage when Vasquez left to block the inside stunter.

Clark's man sacked Manning.

Here are the players pre snap. You see the OLB and the 3-4 DE:
Attached Images

Last edited by pricejj; 08-24-2014 at 09:40 AM..
Old 08-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Vasquez and Clark double-teamed the 5-tech. Vasquez had to leave the 5-tech to catch the inside stunting OLB. Clark's responsibility became the 5-tech who sacked Manning, though Clark had no leverage when Vasquez left to block the inside stunter.

Clark's man sacked Manning.
it was a team effort. Vasquez made the wrong read to begin with.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

I am not sure about Burse.... Would be very interested in kicking the tires on Cribbs, assuming he is in football shape.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
I am not sure about Burse....
yeah, i wasn't impressed. Mostly, because i couldn't figure out who he was with those ridiculous dreadlocks

get a haircut, hippy!

(this post is probably racist)
Old 08-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
pricejj
jungle

After the snap, the OLB takes stunts to the inside, while Vasquez and Clark have the 5-tech double-teamed:
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
pricejj
jungle

Vasquez leaves the double-team on the 5-tech to catch the inside stunting OLB. Clark is left with ZERO leverage in the exchange.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
GoneFishin'
Rookie

Longtime listener first time caller

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I am not sure about Burse.... Would be very interested in kicking the tires on Cribbs, assuming he is in football shape.
I think he has potential. He's obviously a young player and I think he's going to improve with coaching and playing time. Good teams always develop guys like Burse. The Burse we see now should not be the Burse we see in 8 weeks if the coaches do their job and Burse works hard.
GoneFishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
pricejj
jungle

Moments later, the 5-tech (Clark's man) sacks Manning:
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #15
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

I thought Burse actually did OK. He didn't drop any and he was TRYING to return , but pretty much got hit as soon as he caught the ball on most returns. He did have one where he got a small lane and used it OK.

Our ST blocking was horrible (again) and there really wasn't much he could do.

Special Teams are continuing to be a problem. Hopefully that gets straightened out, now that cuts are coming. When we have our final roster set that BETTER improve.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
One thing about Burse at least he hangs onto the ball
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #17
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

When the game started with von on one side, and ware on the other my heart started pumping. I am so excited to watch these two haunt quarterback's dreams this year.
Kevin8Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #18
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Moments later, the 5-tech (Clark's man) sacks Manning:
I don't think you can blame either Vasquez or Clark. It was a well designed blitz and took advantage of stuff that Houston probably picked up in the practices this week. The Only thing Clark could have done was hold, and as pointed out the leverage was all wrong and likely wouldn't have stopped the sack anyway.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #19
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
I don't think you can blame either Vasquez or Clark. It was a well designed blitz and took advantage of stuff that Houston probably picked up in the practices this week. The Only thing Clark could have done was hold, and as pointed out the leverage was all wrong and likely wouldn't have stopped the sack anyway.
Like I said, 'the sack was on Chris Clark, but it wasn't really his fault. He was left with no leverage'.

It's a communication error between Clark and Vasquez.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #20
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
it wasn't blitz. it was a simple stunt. that play was a microcosm of the game for the Broncos. seriously, it looked like they could give a **** most of the night.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #21
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

OL still in gelling mode. Guard and tackle next to each other need to develop rapport. Takes time and live experience.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #22
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
it wasn't blitz. it was a simple stunt. that play was a microcosm of the game for the Broncos. seriously, it looked like they could give a **** most of the night.
Stunt or delayed stunt...they took advantage of the fact that Vasquez and Clark left the lane open for a delayed rush when they doubled the end. That needs to be cleaned up.
Communication ...yes.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #23
pricejj
jungle

14. I think the last roster spot is between Corey Nelson and Steven Johnson. After a fairly strong performance from each I gave the edge to Nelson heading into the Texans last Offensive play. Anunike was behind in coverage, but Nelson gave no effort to tackle the TE who sprinted into the endzone. Really disappointing considering all the good plays Nelson displayed throughout the 2nd half.

15. Louis Young had a sack and gave up a 4th and 3. I'm giving #6CB to Tony Carter for now.

16. Duke Ihenacho did nothing as usual. This should be his last game as a Bronco.

17. I can't believe Lamin Barrow recovered to play in this game. He looked good, having great field awareness especially towards the goal line.

18. Marvin Austin continues to wreck shop, great backup 3-tech.

19. Kevin Vickerson did enough in his 1st game back to give him the edge over Mitch Unrein for now, displaying good push in critical moments.

20. Michael Schofield held down RT nicely. I think he can win the job next year with Chris Clark shifting to LG.

21. Paul Cornick has had a solid preseason and makes the team, but he missed a blitz pickup (have no clue why O'Brien was blitzing Mercilus in the 4th quarter).

22. The last OL spot is between Vinston Painter and Ben Garland. Tough decision, but Garland had a couple penalties that shouldn't have been called.

23. All Isaiah Burse has to do to make the team is do what he did against the Texans. No turnovers.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #24
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
14. I think the last roster spot is between Corey Nelson and Steven Johnson. After a fairly strong performance from each I gave the edge to Nelson heading into the Texans last Offensive play. Anunike was behind in coverage, but Nelson gave no effort to tackle the TE who sprinted into the endzone. Really disappointing considering all the good plays Nelson displayed throughout the 2nd half.

15. Louis Young had a sack and gave up a 4th and 3. I'm giving #6CB to Tony Carter for now.

16. Duke Ihenacho did nothing as usual. This should be his last game as a Bronco.

17. I can't believe Lamin Barrow recovered to play in this game. He looked good, having great field awareness especially towards the goal line.

18. Marvin Austin continues to wreck shop, great backup 3-tech.

19. Kevin Vickerson did enough in his 1st game back to give him the edge over Mitch Unrein for now, displaying good push in critical moments.

20. Michael Schofield held down RT nicely. I think he can win the job next year with Chris Clark shifting to LG.

21. Paul Cornick has had a solid preseason and makes the team, but he missed a blitz pickup (have no clue why O'Brien was blitzing Mercilus in the 4th quarter).

22. The last OL spot is between Vinston Painter and Ben Garland. Tough decision, but Garland had a couple penalties that shouldn't have been called.

23. All Isaiah Burse has to do to make the team is do what he did against the Texans. No turnovers.
I do agree with most of this, except for Nelson making the team. And it wasn't O'Brien doing the blitzing, it was Crennell. That guy brings the house.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #25
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc0guy View Post
I do agree with most of this, except for Nelson making the team. And it wasn't O'Brien doing the blitzing, it was Crennell. That guy brings the house.
Nelson played the entire 2nd half. They were really looking at him vs. Steven Johnson. Both were on the field together for a lot of it. The reason they drafted Nelson was to get more speed in the LB corp and to possibly replace a guy like Steven Johnson. Johnson gave up a 3rd and 6 on a wheel route, where he wasn't even close in coverage. But Johnson has also made some impressive plays on the ball this preseason.

The problem is Nelson committed a few penalties and had a major breakdown on the last play for a TD, that is very hard to swallow. Granted, Anunike should have never been in coverage vs. the TE, but Nelson was at MLB and deep enough to make a tackle. He didn't do anything.

I give the last roster spot to Steven Johnson right now, because of that last play where Nelson didn't even try.