The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 04:07 AM   #101
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Now there are a few people who are beginning to raise the prospect that it may never be found; A modern day Amelia Earhart story.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #102
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

From what I've read and heard so far, my best guess would be a fouled-up hijacking similar to the 1996 "Zulu" incident:

http://seanmunger.com/2013/11/23/zul...es-flight-961/

But who knows? The known "facts" seem to change every few hours.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #103
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Blame it on D.B. Cooper.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #104
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Perhaps there was a catastrophic systems failure, like they had on Payne Stewart's plane? Lost pressure and then the oxygen system failed. Under oxygen deprivation the pilot turned off the transponder and started to turn the plane around, and then passed out, and the plane continued to fly on that heading until it ran out of fuel.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #105
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

China reporting "seismic event" within flight area

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mis...entists-n52516
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #106
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Another indication of foul play:

"Analysis of the Malaysia data suggests the plane, with 239 people on board, diverted from its intended northeast route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing and flew west instead, using airline flight corridors normally employed for routes to the Middle East and Europe, said sources familiar with investigations into the Boeing 777's disappearance.

Two sources said an unidentified aircraft that investigators believe was Flight MH370 was following a route between navigational waypoints when it was last plotted on military radar off the country's northwest coast.

This indicates that it was either being flown by the pilots or someone with knowledge of those waypoints, the sources said."

Full story at http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,1501655.story

I think the idea is that if the pilots passed out and the plane just kept going, or if the plane was put on autopilot, the odds against it taking a route that just happened to correspond to navigational waypoints are pretty steep.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #107
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Another indication of foul play:

"Analysis of the Malaysia data suggests the plane, with 239 people on board, diverted from its intended northeast route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing and flew west instead, using airline flight corridors normally employed for routes to the Middle East and Europe, said sources familiar with investigations into the Boeing 777's disappearance.

Two sources said an unidentified aircraft that investigators believe was Flight MH370 was following a route between navigational waypoints when it was last plotted on military radar off the country's northwest coast.

This indicates that it was either being flown by the pilots or someone with knowledge of those waypoints, the sources said."

Full story at http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,1501655.story

I think the idea is that if the pilots passed out and the plane just kept going, or if the plane was put on autopilot, the odds against it taking a route that just happened to correspond to navigational waypoints are pretty steep.

Unless somebody put it on autopilot. Pure speculation on my part.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #108
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

If they don't find out soon our media will get bored and you will never hear another thing about it.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #109
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Unless somebody put it on autopilot. Pure speculation on my part.
If I understand the issue, this tends to undercut the autopilot theory, because (a) autopilots don't use the "waypoints," and (b) the plane would have to have been flown for a significant period of time before the autopilot was engaged in order to line it up between the waypoints.

Supposedly, one of the reasons we haven't received more info about this is because the people in charge of the data are legally obligated to give the info to the investigating authorities before leaking it to the public.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #110
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
If they don't find out soon our media will get bored and you will never hear another thing about it.
For most of us, yes. For others, not so much, and I think you could make a good guess as to who might fall into that second category.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #111
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Act of piracy?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4964895.html
Old 03-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #112
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
You think the rest of the people on here care about those people? It's not that people died is the story.... The story is that a huge passenger lane disappeared. Between all the groups and agencies looking for it... no one has found it yet. It's very interesting.
For some I guess...
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #113
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I'd be looking hard at the passenger manifest for clues as to what happened. Who would be that important to someone yet not using a private plane.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #114
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I'd be looking hard at the passenger manifest for clues as to what happened. Who would be that important to someone yet not using a private plane.
See my previous posts in this thread.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #115
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Confirmed hyjacking just reported
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #116
bombay
Ring of Famer

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) Investigators have concluded that one or more people with significant flying experience hijacked the missing Malaysia Airlines jet, switched off communication devices and steered it off-course, a Malaysian government official involved in the investigation said Saturday.

No motive has been established and no demands have been made known, and it is not yet clear where the plane was taken, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the media. The official said that hijacking was no longer a theory.

"It is conclusive," he said.

Posting to Old Dude and Rohirrim.

Last edited by bombay; 03-14-2014 at 10:33 PM..
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:06 AM   #117
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Plane was airborne for up to 7 hours, possibly going to Kazakhstan or one of the stan countries.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:28 AM   #118
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

So has anyone ever gave a definitive reason why the Edmund Fitzgerald went down? or what happened to flight 19 in the 'ol Bermuda triangle? We think we are so smart with our satellites and phones and crap.
After 9-11 its as simple as flipping a toggle switch to turn off the transponder? That is Insane.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:23 AM   #119
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Edmund Fitzgrald was loaded heavy and took the route best for the current weather. The weather changed and they went into heavy waves. They think the hatches on the deck of the boat may have came loose and the water went into the hold with the ore they were hauling. The ship became to heavy and sank.

It's been found on the lake bottom so for sure they know it sank.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #120
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Plane was airborne for up to 7 hours, possibly going to Kazakhstan or one of the stan countries.
I'm trying to figure out why the two most likely search corridors are in such different directions (NW or S/SW). Only thing I can come up with is that the data analysts somehow managed to exclude the area in-between.

I don't think there's a damned thing but water in the S/SW direction, unless they turned again and curled back to Malaysia or Australia, so yeah, the stan countries are looking a little more likely now.

Last edited by Old Dude; 03-15-2014 at 06:25 AM..
Old 03-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #121
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
So has anyone ever gave a definitive reason why the Edmund Fitzgerald went down? or what happened to flight 19 in the 'ol Bermuda triangle? We think we are so smart with our satellites and phones and crap.
After 9-11 its as simple as flipping a toggle switch to turn off the transponder? That is Insane.
yes, the Edmund Fitzgerald was found a long time ago and they figured out why it sank. It got into some heavy swells, and the crew did not lock down a front hatch (at the front of the ship) and they EF started filling with water. Due to the storm and the waves and the heavy load it was carrying (Iron ore I believe) it broke in half and sank very quickly. But regardless, it's silly to compare the Edmund Fitzgerald to a flying computer that is networked into satellites and has transponders and black boxes and all the latest and greatest technology. There is simply no excuse for this kind of disappearance.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #122
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Whoever pulled this off, it was certainly well planned...

Old 03-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #123
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #124
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Okay, I know you have all been dying for my theory.

I can't remember where I saw the report yesterday, but it said that they believe the plane ascended to 45,000 feet, shortly after turning off the transponder, and changing courses. So, you have someone nefariously piloting the plane. He wants the plane - the people in the plane are a nuisance, for whatever his plan is. So, he flies to 45K feet, decompresses the cabin (that's possible, right?), and kills them all. Then, he drops down to a more reasonable altitude, and continues on to wherever it's in his plan to go. Why would they need a plane? Well, this is where the imagination can run a little wild. What if they wanted a plane to pack it with explosives, to fly into something? What if they've got nuclear material somewhere, but they don't have the missile to fly it? Wouldn't a 777 make a pretty good missile? Like I said, my imagination is going, a little.

Here's my question. Would that scenario on depressurizing the plane work, as long as the pilot had a supply of oxygen?
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #125
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I believe oxygen masks deploy automatically at a certain cabin pressure
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote