The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Broncos Attitude: Win at all costs

So, after watching that debacle against a KC chiefs team with zero weapons on offense after Jamal Charles left with an ankle injury on the first KC drive of the game I went back and watched the film again and again and again. The taste in my mouth was getting retched and my mind was about to go into F you mode.

Then, it finally set in. John Fox and JDR have set the tone as coaches with this team. They are going to win at all costs. Huh? You are saying how the hell is that happening when they routinely are pulling the plug on the offense and the defense looks like swiss cheese?

It is simple. Yet it makes me cringe to the depths of my soul. Right now, DEN is in official Turtle mode. They are playing as conservative as possible trying NOT to make mistakes and give the game away. They have zero TO's on offense. They were gifted 2 Int's off picked balls last week to go +2 in TO differential. They are running the ball into stacked defenses on 2cd and long to make a point of doing it. They are using every kind of cover 2 and Cover 3 coverage known to man, but they are NOT letting anybody get behind them playing any single high safety coverages in any situation like 3rd and 18 when they rush 3 to not give up a big play. The win at all costs mentality states we will win, but not put our foot on our opponents throats to do it. It means we do NOT care if we play inspired football like last year, as long as we win. In reality, the coaching staff has said, win ugly, but win and screw it if the fans think it looks like crap.

Like it or not Broncos fans, John Fox is not Pete Carroll attitude wise. Pete can not stand winning ugly, if they can not play an aggressive style of defense and offense! He gets pissed beyond recognition if players do not play the Seahawks way! John Fox, on the other hand, just cares about being good enough to get a win. You know, the now infamous Meme "not too Shabby!" Like winning the AFC looking like the most dominant "team" in football and setting all kinds of offensive records is good enough at the end of the day as a head Coach. Like getting BLOWN OUT in the SB is simply ok, because we were good enough to get there!

So, I am writing you this warning Bronco fans. John Fox does not care that we gave up 11/16 third down conversions for almost 70% to one of the most toothless offenses in the NFL. He does NOT care that, DEN's vaunted offense ran 30 Less plays than KC in our house. He does not care if we "send a message" to a division rival at home. Just, "Get 'er done."

There are more than a few ways to respond to getting annihilated in a SB loss. Most teams reel out of the gate trying to prove something. DEN certainly has struggled and given their opponents every chance under God's green earth to think they should have beaten us. But the reality is they are 2-0 with a brutal first four game schedule that all of us should be more than happy being 3-1 after it. Right now we are still on schedule to do just that.

What I hate, and I hear on the board these days is this is just not good enough. I sincerely agree with you, but I implore you to tamper your expectations for the next few weeks. If DEN goes to SEA and lays an egg, after practically daring SEA to fight them at home in the preseason on multiple occasions, then we will know for sure that the just win, good enough mentality is a permanent result of that SB loss. However, if DEN goes there and plays like their jobs are on the line and gets physical and chippy then at least we know we have some motivation to succeed beyond the ridiculous not too shabby attititude of the last few weeks.

I seriously hope we compete this weekend. We have not even tried yet in our 2 previous games. I hope we unleash Holy Hell on SEA on national TV this week. However, I just do not see it happening after the last 2 weeks efforts. So, Broncos fans be ready for anything this weekend. I know how pissed off I would be going into SEA next week. I just hope someone gets in the coaches faces this week if they start to pull the not too shabby BS.

Last edited by Mediator12; 09-18-2014 at 11:13 AM..
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Well this just warms my heart!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Fox will never win and has never won a superbowl with that mentality.

its the opposite of what should be done when given the biggest FA in history, along with Elway stacking this team full of talent.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Could you not call this please?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Those of us in TJ's OM league need to realize that the Broncos will RARELY cover the spread, this year. It truly is the Raiders mantra of "Just Win, Baby". They aren't following it, so we might as well do it...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

So is it your opinion that Fox has taken some decision making away from Gase and has intentionally scaled back the play calling on offense, and has instructed Del Rio to play it safe on D as opposed to being aggressive?
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I haven't been paying attention, but how does Elway react to wins like this? He was insanely pissed off after the SB, and even after getting destroyed in the preseason last year by Seattle.

This crap cannot sit well with a competitive guy like that.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

What if the Broncos were just playing really vanilla and safe for the first 2 games so as not to put too much on tape for the opposing teams coming up?

I mean... is that even something teams do in the reg. season?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
What if the Broncos were just playing really vanilla and safe for the first 2 games so as not to put too much on tape for the opposing teams coming up?

I mean... is that even something teams do in the reg. season?
id be pissed if that was the way of thinking when facing the Colts. They lost to them last year so I doubt they took anything lightly leading up to that game.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

I really don't think that's what is going on at all. It's just such a stark contrast with how the team came out of the gates last season.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
So is it your opinion that Fox has taken some decision making away from Gase and has intentionally scaled back the play calling on offense, and has instructed Del Rio to play it safe on D as opposed to being aggressive?
To further this line of inquiry, for this "theory" to be true that means the players have to be buying into this mindset. Particularly Peyton Manning. Not to mention John Elway!

Last edited by TonyR; 09-18-2014 at 11:29 AM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Great post Med

This is game 1 of several that staff has to prove to me they can get it done. Too often we play safe/scared/deer in headlights and not full throttle with tude. I hope I'm wrong but, I think we need a different type of HC (MOTIVATOR) to win a SB. This team is too talented to get blown out or show up scared/timid/unprepared.

If we lose in Seattle so be it but, no reason not to give them a game. I don't think staff should get a pass anymore getting outcoached with the talent on this team.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 09-18-2014 at 11:34 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan

PFM / Kopitar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Fox will never win and has never won a superbowl with that mentality.

its the opposite of what should be done when given the biggest FA in history, along with Elway stacking this team full of talent.
I can't believe that Elway will just accept this too much longer after what he has done to stack this team. We have different players in the mix this year on D, and it may take some time to gel. If we get crushed by Seattle and start losing games because of our coaching mentality, I hope and believe Elway will make changes.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Can somebody verify any of the above theories on the lite rail?
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Can somebody verify any of the above theories on the lite rail?
False. Overheard on the Vail gondola lift, not the LR.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #16
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

This game is about retribution. Going on the road to Seattle will show exactly what they're made of.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Works for me....Until it stops working.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #18
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

It all boils down to poor coaching, however you slice it. I just refuse to believe that Elway wouldn't go Marsellus Wallace on someone for this type of thing.

I don't know if I have seen him publicly as pissed off as he was after the SB.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #19
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

The mission this season was/is to win the championship, and this game against Seattle was already circled in the calendar.
The Broncos made changes during the off-season to strengthen the areas on defense where upgrades were needed.
add to that their attitude as you've mentioned going into this game that I don't see them losing.
This is the measuring stick that will tell us a lot about our team.
Win this game, and we will be sitting high in the confidence chair and hopefully carry this team all the way to the final game of the season.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #20
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

One thing this team has done is redeem from past losses. We saw it with the Ravens. With Patriots. With SD. With Colts. Now hopefully with Seattle.

I just think where the game is being played may be too hard to recover. The bounce back games above were played at home.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #21
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Win or lose, all I want from this week is that they show the world they have a pair.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

did not expect Med to post this.

I think his account was hacked
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

except....

that if a couple of players on each side of the ball in each of the last two games simply don't make a mistake (sometimes an extremely avoidable, boneheaded one) then we win both games handily and your theory suddenly goes out the window.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #24
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

So why is it a knock on the Broncos to play Cover 2/Cover 3 all day yet Seahawks are the most furiocious team yet they exclusively play Cover 3, AND, the 49ers play Cover 2/Cover 3 all day?
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #25
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

I really seems like they've barely been trying. The question is why. You (Med) obviously think it's a question of attitude from the very top. Maybe it's not? I think this week could give us an answer, but who the hell knows? At this point, we know what a Gase offense and a Del Rio defense look like, and we haven't seen those. There's gotta be a reason for that, right? Right?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote