The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #51
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Very brave of him. I hope he does well and has a long and productive NFL career. He will encounter alot of adversity no doubt. I'm sure he will overcome it.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #52
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer81 View Post
Speaking of gay players...

You wonder if he will now ever come out. I heard from someone with a source in NY area when he was with the Jets. He was thinking of coming out during the offseason. Well, he is in the offseason forever as of right now.

Can't be 100% on accuracy but I would suspect him over many other athletes.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #53
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Sideshow? Classy. I'd be proud to root for him as a bronco. It's sad that this even needs to be considered "brave" but so be it.
Wow, did I hit a nerve, I thought side-show was a nice way to put it?

Side-Show: Something unimportant that takes your attention away from something more important that is happening at the same time.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #54
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
You wonder if he will now ever come out. I heard from someone with a source in NY area when he was with the Jets. He was thinking of coming out during the offseason. Well, he is in the offseason forever as of right now.

Can't be 100% on accuracy but I would suspect him over many other athletes.

I cant say why I think he's gay. I have moved beyond the wishful thinking stage. I just hope he does it before he is 50, married with 3 kids and leads a megachurch.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #55
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Dude, gay lifestyle is not "normal". It is about 2 percent but somehow everyone uses 10% from a study a while ago (I believe numbers were off from the actual comparison). Even at 10%, it is not "normal" behavior. I am not talking about right or wrong but it is far from normal. If it was, gay lifestyle would have been very common to everyone. I am left handed. I notice everyone that is left handed. It doesn't look normal. I believe 88% of the humans are right handed. I know it is different. My son does all sports left handed but he writes and eats right handed. Pretty different and not normal. It sure doesn't mean anything more than that.

What Drunk is saying is exactly how you want it to be seen. It isn't normal behavior (just like it isn't normal to be left handed). As for being left handed, I get it. I am different. Being left handed isn't normal. My wife is different and my oldest is even more of an oddity.

Once you can realize it isn't normal but it can still be accepted is the way to go. Trying to push something that very few people do in life is not considered normal.

I think we need to realize what normal is in regards to human behavior. Homosexuality is normal, it is a human behavior. Favoring one hand over the other is normal, it is a human behavior. A majority may not be gay, or may be right handed. That does not make left handedness or homosexuality abnormal for a purely behavioral standpoint. And tell me, which is more ridiculous. Seeing a dude hold another dude's hand or having those same two dudes beheaded in a soccer arena on national TV?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #56
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Michael Sam coming out is a lot different than ex-NBA player Jason Collins announcing he is gay. Collins was coming off an injury and was probably at the end of his NBA career, even if he wouldn't have announced that he was gay.

Michael Sam was the SEC co-defensive player of the year at Missouri and is a solid 3rd/4th round draft prospect who has a lot on the line right now in regards to his future prospects in the NFL.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the teams and the NFL handle this situation, as well as the fans and players.

I think it's going to be covered ad nauseum by the media, as they want it to be a huge story and for it to be a distraction. There will be a fair number of fans heckling him and I'm sure the media will report every comment and insult hurled. They want it to be a circus, as they need big stories and they'll make sure this to cover it with Tim Tebow-like over-saturation. I think the players will end up being the most accepting overall, but I'm sure there will be a players from other teams that will make a few newsworthy comments, but overall I think the players won't really give a ****.

I think teams are going to be wary of taking on the distraction this will cause. NFL teams don't like distractions at all. It would have probably been a more strategically wise move for Michael Sam to announce this once he was already was on a team, but he commented that a lot of people acted like they already knew at the Senior Bowl and figured teams would have already had their suspicions and that it was in his best interest to come clean and be honest about it.

His teammates and coaches at Missouri knew about it, so I'm sure it felt good to not have worry about hiding it any longer, especially with the combine/interviews coming up.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #57
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I cant say why I think he's gay. I have moved beyond the wishful thinking stage. I just hope he does it before he is 50, married with 3 kids and leads a megachurch.

True dat....I could totally see that scenario.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #58
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

This article pretty much sums up what I thought teams would be thinking.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...m-draft-stock/

How will news that Michael Sam is gay affect his NFL draft stock?

One former NFL general manager described how Sam's future could play out in the draft room. He said when a team is nine slots away from making a pick, there is typically a declaration in the draft room that six players are being considered. When a team is five spots away, that consideration set is whittled to three.

If Sam is among that group of players, the potential distraction of his presence -- both in the media and the locker room -- could prevent him from being selected.

"That will break a tie against that player," the former general manager said. "Every time. Unless he's Superman. Why? Not that they're against gay people. It's more that some players are going to look at you upside down. Every Tom, Dick and Harry in the media is going to show up, from Good Housekeeping to the Today show. A general manager is going to ask, 'Why are we going to do that to ourselves?'"

The former general manager said that it would take an NFL franchise with a strong owner, savvy general manager and veteran coach to make drafting Sam work. He rattled off franchises like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, San Francisco, Baltimore and Indianapolis as potential destinations. The former general manager added that a team with a rookie head coach would not be an ideal landing spot.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #59
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Minion View Post
Homosexuality is normal, so normal that gay people have risked certain persecution and death just to live honestly about themselves. It occurs in every culture today and through out human history, and will continue so. Refusing in believing that gay is natural and normal is like believing left handedness or red heads are not normal. This our modern version in believing that blacks are 3/5 human. LGBT community deserve our full and equal rights

Ignorance is not defense
no, it's not normal and its not as pervasive as liberals want everyone to think it is. Less than 3% of the entire population is homosexual yet they control a gigantic amount of influence on our culture. Plus, people choose to be gay, it's not something you are "born" with like the color of your skin or eyes.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #60
extralife
Ring of Famer

oh look, it's tombstone here to be dumb again. I hope we draft this guy so tombstone can go be a fan of another team.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #61
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
oh look, it's tombstone here to be dumb again. I hope we draft this guy so tombstone can go be a fan of another team.
lol, look who's talking. I wish Sam's all the best and I really don't care if he is gay. But the media will make a huge deal out of it, along with morons like you.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #62
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
no, it's not normal and its not as pervasive as liberals want everyone to think it is. Less than 3% of the entire population is homosexual yet they control a gigantic amount of influence on our culture. Plus, people choose to be gay, it's not something you are "born" with like the color of your skin or eyes.

Did you pick to be straight?

Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #63
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
I think we need to realize what normal is in regards to human behavior. Homosexuality is normal, it is a human behavior. Favoring one hand over the other is normal, it is a human behavior. A majority may not be gay, or may be right handed. That does not make left handedness or homosexuality abnormal for a purely behavioral standpoint. And tell me, which is more ridiculous. Seeing a dude hold another dude's hand or having those same two dudes beheaded in a soccer arena on national TV?

Homosexuality might be "normal" to you but the vast majority would stare at two dudes walking down the street hand and hand then a hetro couple doing the same. Human behavior to society of having homosexual behavior is not normal and why would it be? It isn't done by many because their feelings are towards the opposite sex which is quite normal and expected in human behavior.

Now watching two guys hold hands together in a soccer stadium in North Korea or Iran and then being beheaded is probably normal punishment in those countries.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #64
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Did you pick to be straight?

I think people choose to act on their sexuality and I think bisexuality is the elephant in the room for homosexuals. If there were no bisexuals then I might believe that someone does not choose to be gay.

anyway, this is the type of distraction that Sams would cause. Just because I think it's a choice and other's don't, now we have to argue about it? No thanks.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #65
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Just a thought. With Jim Saccomono retiring as PR director for the Broncos, wouldn't this be a total crash course if Sam was drafted? Jim survived Tebowmania but I wonder if this would be crazier at Training Camp and coming off as AFC Champions.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #66
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
I think people choose to act on their sexuality and I think bisexuality is the elephant in the room for homosexuals. If there were no bisexuals then I might believe that someone does not choose to be gay.

anyway, this is the type of distraction that Sams would cause. Just because I think it's a choice and other's don't, now we have to argue about it? No thanks.
I think it is funny you have a gay man telling you point blank he never made the decision to like men and you still argue the point.

It's a matter of attraction. I know for a fact I never selected to be attracted to men. I just was. I know for a fact you never selected to be attracted to women. You just were. I dont think bisexuality weakens the case that we are attracted to what we are attracted to before we are even conscious of it. As you stated, the choice is to pursue what we find attractive. That is the only choice, not what we like in the first place. Some people prefer both. Which I think is greedy, but whatever floats their boat.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #67
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Homosexuality might be "normal" to you but the vast majority would stare at two dudes walking down the street hand and hand then a hetro couple doing the same. Human behavior to society of having homosexual behavior is not normal and why would it be? It isn't done by many because their feelings are towards the opposite sex which is quite normal and expected in human behavior.

Now watching two guys hold hands together in a soccer stadium in North Korea or Iran and then being beheaded is probably normal punishment in those countries.

...you miss the point.

Homosexuality is a NORMAL human behavior. Whether or not YOU find it strange does not make it abnormal as a purely behavioral issue. What you are describing is at best what our society deems normal, and that has NOTHING to do with actual human behavior. In fact, most of our social mores and taboos exist to enforce a standard of behavior which is not aligned with how we actually behave biologically.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #68
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:

I don't believe that having homosexual desires is a choice. I say that because the very thought of kissing another dude or performing sex acts with some dude is enough to make me vomit. In fact, just seeing 2 dudes kissing makes me uncomfortable.

I think homosexual dudes probably feel the same way when they think of kissing or performing sex acts with women. They probably get disgusted by the thought of it as well.

I don't understand how someone could choose to have those sexual desires.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #69
Bronco Yoda

I'm thinking (sad to say) Michael would do better/be happier on either coast and skip the middle of the country. Not sure the Bible belt is really ready for this yet.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #70
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
...you miss the point.

Homosexuality is a NORMAL human behavior. Whether or not YOU find it strange does not make it abnormal as a purely behavioral issue. What you are describing is at best what our society deems normal, and that has NOTHING to do with actual human behavior. In fact, most of our social mores and taboos exist to enforce a standard of behavior which is not aligned with how we actually behave biologically.

It's not normal. That is like saying swinging is normal because a few couples do it. Doesn't make it normal.
Normal implies that it is in some way part of a majority of behavior or common in it's nature. Simply because a person can do something does not make it normal. It means it is their preference.
What a person chooses to do or whom they chose to be with is their own business.
Now, in terms of hatred, ignorance or things like that. That has no place in the world.
Sexual orientation is not something a person should be judged on. There are far worse things a person can be than gay.
The only time I have an issue with someone being gay is when they know or suspect that they are and then still lead someone on and waste years of that person's life because they were afraid.

Plus, think of it this way. For every guy batting for the other team that means more lonely women and a potential harem for the rest of us.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #71
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I don't believe that having homosexual desires is a choice. I say that because the very thought of kissing another dude or performing sex acts with some dude is enough to make me vomit. In fact, just seeing 2 dudes kissing makes me uncomfortable.

I think homosexual dudes probably feel the same way when they think of kissing or performing sex acts with women. They probably get disgusted by the thought of it as well.

I don't understand how someone could choose to have those sexual desires.
People find different things appealing to them. It is about appeal for that person. People choose otherwise everyone would like the same thing and would act in the same manner.
Yes you may love kissing women but the type of woman you find appealing likely varies from another guy.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #72
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
I'm thinking (sad to say) Michael would do better/be happier on either coast and skip the middle of the country. Not sure the Bible belt is really ready for this yet.
I don't know if I'd consider the state that legalized weed a "bible belt state"
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:26 AM   #73
Shananahan
Custom User Title

I love all the people in here defining normal human behavior by what society accepts and approves of.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #74
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
I don't know if I'd consider the state that legalized weed a "bible belt state"
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #75
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I wouldn't want to see that side-show come to Denver
It'll be a circus, we don't need that crap in Denver.
No matter where he goes, he will have the media following him around and it will be a season long headline.
We will be glad to watch from a distance, but not at our own backyard...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote