The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #26
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Sideshow? Classy. I'd be proud to root for him as a bronco. It's sad that this even needs to be considered "brave" but so be it.
Warranted or not it would be a media circus for him. It would be a distraction to the team. I don't care if a player is gay I just don't want Denver to have the first openly gay player, especially as a distraction heading into next season.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #27
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
11.5 Sacks and 19 tackles for loss. Bring his ass in.

That is what Archer and Blart keep saying.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #28
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Minion View Post
The side show is not a gays person fault or creation, it's the homophobes and disingenuous heterosexual that create the distraction. Michael Sam is just living is life like any normal individual. Certain people have problems with that, to everyone's detriment.
Its from both sides. You got one side ignorant and refusing to accept the other. And you got the other side always wanting to spotlight something they want everyone to view as normal, even when it is in a situation.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic2; 02-09-2014 at 07:42 PM..
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #29
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Who cares? Why do we feel the need to categorize each other.
ant1999e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #30
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Its from both sides. You got one side ignorant and refusing to accept the other. And you got the other side always wanting to spotlight something they want everyone to view as normal.
Homosexuality is normal, so normal that gay people have risked certain persecution and death just to live honestly about themselves. It occurs in every culture today and through out human history, and will continue so. Refusing in believing that gay is natural and normal is like believing left handedness or red heads are not normal. This our modern version in believing that blacks are 3/5 human. LGBT community deserve our full and equal rights

Ignorance is not defense
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #31
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
That is what Archer and Blart keep saying.

When have I ever insinuated...

nevermind.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #32
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Dude is actually pretty good

and fits a need

draft him please

I would gladly take him in the third
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #33
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I don't care about his sexuality as long as he plays well, but I agree with other people talking about Kerry Rhodes. He's a great safety, but doesn't get signed because he's gay.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #34
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I don't think it's be much of a distraction. It would he a thing in TC and people will get used to it and that woukd be that
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #35
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I don't think that he'd have issues with his teammates. I'd say that players already know other players who are gay, but just haven't come out about it. The big issue would be dealing with the media attention because he would be the first active, openly gay player.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #36
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Personally it does not matter to me at all... I expect less on the mane though. If a person can play at the NFL level, I do not care if it is a man, woman or gay person as long as they help my team win.

As long as people keep making mention of someone's sexual orientation as related to anything, it will always remain an issue.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #37
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Warranted or not it would be a media circus for him. It would be a distraction to the team. I don't care if a player is gay I just don't want Denver to have the first openly gay player, especially as a distraction heading into next season.
Distraction? I think that's taking it a bit too far. I don't think it would cost them a single game.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #38
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

If he can help win games, I don't give a **** about who he likes.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #39
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

More worried about fan reaction then NFL/media/player reaction. A 5 year old got a death threat because disney showed a same sex couple.

Lot of crazies out there.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #40
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

who cares...what somebody does on their own private time is their own business. if he can help the Broncos win then we will take him...he is not or will be the last gay football player
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #41
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I don't have any issue with an openly gay player playing in the NFL....I'm sure there are a bunch of gay players right now, as well as hundreds of former gay players going back to the NFL's early days.

I simply think it's smarter to keep it to yourself and not advertise it, as football/NFL can be a cruel and cut throat sport/league. That said, if he's willing to tackle the subject head on, willingly knowing it might derail his chances of playing in the NFL, or that it will be a tough uphill road to deal with, but that he might be laying the foundation that will make it easier for future players to be accepted, then go for it. There are lot of players that really don't give a **** and won't have a problem with it, much like his teammates at Missouri. It's the goofball fans that will be the biggest problem.

I'm sure plenty of former/current gay players have/had their straight teammates suspect something, but they didn't make a big deal about it and went about their business.

Announcing it like this, already makes it a major distraction and is going to make teams wary of being the first to have to publicly deal with the issue and all the distractions that are associated with it.

It's kind of like Tim Tebow....I'm sure he's good enough to be the 3rd string QB/specialty player for a lot of NFL teams, but the distractions/attention/frenzy/circus that are part of the Tim Tebow package deal outweigh the contributions Tebow will make on the field in a reserve/specialty role.

Similar situation with the first openly gay player, in this case, Micheal Sam. I'm sure he's good enough to be drafted and contribute to an NFL team, but will the distractions/attention/frenzy/circus that will be part of Michael Sam package deal outweigh the contributions that he'll make on the field?

I'm not sure how NFL teams will react in regards to this. I'm fairly certain that solid free agent safety Kerry Rhodes got outed this offseason and no NFL team even took a look at him during the offseason and during this season. Kerry Rhodes is only 31 years old and had a good 2012 season. The only logical reason that no team showed any interest in Kerry Rhodes at all is because it was basically revealed that he is gay and no NFL team wanted to be the first team to deal with the issue.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #42
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I don't have any issue with an openly gay player playing in the NFL....I'm sure there are a bunch of gay players right now, as well as hundreds of former gay players going back to the NFL's early days.

I simply think it's smarter to keep it to yourself and not advertise it, as football/NFL can be a cruel and cut throat sport/league. That said, if he's willing to tackle the subject head on, willingly knowing it might derail his chances of playing in the NFL, or that it will be a tough uphill road to deal with, but that he might be laying the foundation that will make it easier for future players to be accepted, then go for it. There are lot of players that really don't give a **** and won't have a problem with it, much like his teammates at Missouri. It's the goofball fans that will be the biggest problem.

I'm sure plenty of former/current gay players have/had their straight teammates suspect something, but they didn't make a big deal about it and went about their business.

Announcing it like this, already makes it a major distraction and is going to make teams wary of being the first to have to publicly deal with the issue and all the distractions that are associated with it.

It's kind of like Tim Tebow....I'm sure he's good enough to be the 3rd string QB/specialty player for a lot of NFL teams, but the distractions/attention/frenzy/circus that are part of the Tim Tebow package deal outweigh the contributions Tebow will make on the field in a reserve/specialty role.

Similar situation with the first openly gay player, in this case, Micheal Sam. I'm sure he's good enough to be drafted and contribute to an NFL team, but will the distractions/attention/frenzy/circus that will be part of Michael Sam package deal outweigh the contributions that he'll make on the field?

I'm not sure how NFL teams will react in regards to this. I'm fairly certain that solid free agent safety Kerry Rhodes got outed this offseason and no NFL team even took a look at him during the offseason and during this season. Kerry Rhodes is only 31 years old and had a good 2012 season. The only logical reason that no team showed any interest in Kerry Rhodes at all is because it was basically revealed that he is gay and no NFL team wanted to be the first team to deal with the issue.

Speaking of gay players...

Old 02-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #43
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Jeff Garcia says hellloo9ooooooooo.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #44
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

shannon sharpe ✔ @ShannonSharpe
Follow
I don't know Michael Sam but I think he wants to be known as a gr8 FB player, that happens to be gay.Big ups M.Sam, make us proud.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #45
extralife
Ring of Famer

I'm willing to bet being open about it makes for a better locker room than being in the closet. If you're closeted and teammates suspect it, then the simple fact of your being secretive offers justification for a negative reaction in the heads of those so inclined. the difference fuels their insecurity and your being guarded with that difference codes it as bad, which then produces the negative reaction. if you're open and confident about it the locker room culture itself will sweep aside the negativity. bullies don't attack confident people. same thing here. it will be a non issue on the field.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #46
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
Distraction? I think that's taking it a bit too far. I don't think it would cost them a single game.
I just envision a media circus. With all the talk about gays in sports I just think all the attention could be a distraction. Also I don't want to see a Martin/Incognito situation with the team I care about. I'm not saying it would happen but the possibility is there and that can become a distraction. The first openly gay player gets all the attention the second no one cares. I'd rather the team not be the first to have an openly gay player.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #47
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

your first statement is so very true...what it boils down to is society has made it cool ....again who cares
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #48
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

"You were going to get drafted in the first 3 rounds and. . ."

Not saying it's right, just the reality of the NFL in 2014.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #49
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
"You were going to get drafted in the first 3 rounds and. . ."

Not saying it's right, just the reality of the NFL in 2014.
I think he'll get drafted. He's good enough. Someone will be on the right side of history here. It's all so disgusting that this is an issue. It's funny, I was watching 42 this weekend and we're all supposed up watch that movie thinking we've come a long way. Not that long I guess
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #50
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Minion View Post
Homosexuality is normal, so normal that gay people have risked certain persecution and death just to live honestly about themselves. It occurs in every culture today and through out human history, and will continue so. Refusing in believing that gay is natural and normal is like believing left handedness or red heads are not normal. This our modern version in believing that blacks are 3/5 human. LGBT community deserve our full and equal rights

Ignorance is not defense
Dude, gay lifestyle is not "normal". It is about 2 percent but somehow everyone uses 10% from a study a while ago (I believe numbers were off from the actual comparison). Even at 10%, it is not "normal" behavior. I am not talking about right or wrong but it is far from normal. If it was, gay lifestyle would have been very common to everyone. I am left handed. I notice everyone that is left handed. It doesn't look normal. I believe 88% of the humans are right handed. I know it is different. My son does all sports left handed but he writes and eats right handed. Pretty different and not normal. It sure doesn't mean anything more than that.

What Drunk is saying is exactly how you want it to be seen. It isn't normal behavior (just like it isn't normal to be left handed). As for being left handed, I get it. I am different. Being left handed isn't normal. My wife is different and my oldest is even more of an oddity.

Once you can realize it isn't normal but it can still be accepted is the way to go. Trying to push something that very few people do in life is not considered normal.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote