The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf
Default Irving at MLB

We've got some holes/upgrades that need to be filled (SS, OT/G, MLB, WR) this season.

Why can't we fill MLB with Irving who played MLB in college and who played well after replacing Von?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
yerner
Ring of Famer

Irving can't run. Looks like an old man moving. Hits hard, but to me, he looks like a backup. I think they've tried him there.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
We've got some holes/upgrades that need to be filled (SS, OT/G, MLB, WR) this season.

Why can't we fill MLB with Irving who played MLB in college and who played well after replacing Von?
He played ok in place of Von but was hardly playing at a level that he couldn't be upgraded from. If he were a viable option at MLB he would never have had his position switched. He is a guy who is ok on ST and is adequate depth. He is not a starter though. This is a team that has needed a MLB since Wilson . Irving was drafted with the hope of being that guy, but has proven that he is not that guy.

I say pray that Clinton-Dix is available at the end of the 1st and that Shayne Skov is available to us in the 2nd.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I am not worried about finding a two down thumper, I'm worried about finding a 3 down MLB. Or another exceptional coverage LB for subpackages. There are plenty of thumpers like Skov, but is that the type of LB our front office covets?
BMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

I'm not saying he is going to be Al Wilson caliber, but with our cap being limited and the window of opportunity being 1-2 years due to Manning I'm not sure we can fill all four of those holes adequately. And MLB plays the least of those other positions of need.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
phibacka31
Ring of Famer

Leggo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
I'm not saying he is going to be Al Wilson caliber, but with our cap being limited and the window of opportunity being 1-2 years due to Manning I'm not sure we can fill all four of those holes adequately. And MLB plays the least of those other positions of need.
I am for this. For the MLB spot they just need someone to help stopping the run game like lenin did. I like Irving and I thought he played better then most in the super bowl
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I miss Wilson so much.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
phibacka31
Ring of Famer

Leggo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
I miss Wilson so much.
So do I my man...so do I... I wore my orange Wilson jersey every game this year...
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
I miss Wilson so much.
So does Tom Hanks.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

We need a big body who is smart enough to call the plays and line the D up, be a force in the run game and able to run side to side and cover.

That is not asking all that much is it?

I hope they find a guy in the draft, like they were able to hit on Trevathan.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If he could play mlb, he'd be playing there instead of the 37 year old Paris Lenons and Keith Brookings of the world.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
With all due respect Rascal, if there were intentions of Irving playing MLB, he would have earned opportunity and time there. Given he was presented with every opportunity to win the job, and then with poor play and injuries, he still couldn't win the job.

Personally there are 2nd tier free agent options that could be used to act as stop gaps and fill holes, while drafting developing long term talent.

MLB- a player like Pat Angerer can be brought in to compete with a young draft pick. Daryl Smith could upgrade the position as we steal him from the cap strapped Ravens.

LG- Theres always Peyton's old buddy Charlie Johnson who could be brought in cheap, he has experience at G and T. Then you draft a prospect to develop in the later rounds.

SS- Bernard Pollard for whatever reason just seems to be available. His veteran leadership and physical presence could help teach Ihenacho, or a young draft pick. Then there is Bethea, Brown, Jenkins who could upgrade the position and come reasonably priced, but they will cost more than Pollard.

WR- I really like Kenny Britt, Maclin, and Nicks as cheaper alternatives if we lose Decker. Boldin could be a nice veteran who brings a toughness and leadership to mentor a DT and teach him how to use his body. He could also mentor a young draft pick. Emmanuel Sanders is also a very intriguing option. He is electric after the catch!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

Not good enough. Too many of you Maners thought MLB was not important in this defense scheme. Seems it was and is need a stud at MIKE. Von needs a beast partner and Irving isn't it.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

you guys don't remember he was penciled in as starting MLB this training camp?

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...1-8b434e97245b

It didn't pan out because he is too quiet to make the calls. He is a pokeman playing introvert(not that there is anything wrong with that)

Tom Nalen thinks we should play him at SAM and Von at DE. Get more bang for your buck.

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 02-05-2014 at 08:20 PM..
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #15
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
So does Tom Hanks.
Beat me to it.

Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #16
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post

It didn't pan out because he is too quiet to make the calls. He is a pokeman playing introvert(not that there is anything wrong with that)

Tom Nalen thinks we should play him at SAM and Von at DE. Get more bang for your buck.
I think we should be playing Von at DE, but not Irving at SAM. We should draft another versatile OLB.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post

Ya I thought he lost the job cause he wasn't playing well at that spot.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I think we should be playing Von at DE, but not Irving at SAM. We should draft another versatile OLB.
Bonus to this is JDR won't be dropping one of the best pass rushers in football into coverage all the frickin' time.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #19
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Ya I thought he lost the job cause he wasn't playing well at that spot.
I remember hearing he wasn't vocal enough as a leader and they subsequently move Wood there to fill that role. Or maybe he just sucked at it.

I do think he did well at Sam. If he could keep it up we could get something out of him while on his rookie contract.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #20
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I would give him a shot, but I wouldn't hand him the position. I would like to get a MLB in the second to challenge him.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #21
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I am not worried about finding a two down thumper, I'm worried about finding a 3 down MLB. Or another exceptional coverage LB for subpackages. There are plenty of thumpers like Skov, but is that the type of LB our front office covets?
Skov has good speed, is intelligent, can rush the passer, is awesome in run support and has the ability to captain the defense. he instantly becomes the best all around LB on the roster and would be capable of being a 3 down LB. in fact him paired with Trevathan gives the team freedom to drop Von to the DE spot when the team goes into Nickel packages.

Woodyard won't be back. He wants to start and will want starter money. There just isn't a place for him though. Trevathan has taken his WILL spot and he isn't a MIKE or SAM. Irving is a backup. Lenon is good as gone. there isn't much behind those guys.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #22
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm a Stanford fan but I don't think skov is a good idea unless he drops in the draft. His past injuries leave me hesitant as well as his lack of speed to cover RBs in the NFL.

Trent Murphy on the other hand is a beast.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #23
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

These are the FA Inside LB's for 2014

Jon Beason
Karlos Dansby
DJ Williams
Jonathan Vilma
Stewart Bradley
Daryl Smith
Joe Mays
Paris Lenon
Nick Barnett
Blake Costanzo
Desmond Bishop
Brandon Spikes
Donald Butler
Patrick Angerer
Perry Riley
Jordan Senn
Marvin Mitchell
Will Herring
Ramon Humber
Bryan Kehl
Josh Mauga
Jason Williams
Dan Connor
Stevenson Sylvester
Rob Francois
Dane Fletcher
Darryl Sharpton
Kavell Conner
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #24
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

No to Irving or anybody else on this team!! I am SICK of a patch work or rotation at MLB....go get a mean motha that is quick vertically and can run from sideline to sideline and hit like a freight train!! I will lose my mind if we don't address the biggest need on our team with a high draft pick or FA
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #25
BMORE
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Skov has good speed, is intelligent, can rush the passer, is awesome in run support and has the ability to captain the defense. he instantly becomes the best all around LB on the roster and would be capable of being a 3 down LB. in fact him paired with Trevathan gives the team freedom to drop Von to the DE spot when the team goes into Nickel packages.

Woodyard won't be back. He wants to start and will want starter money. There just isn't a place for him though. Trevathan has taken his WILL spot and he isn't a MIKE or SAM. Irving is a backup. Lenon is good as gone. there isn't much behind those guys.
Skov has stiff hips, I'm not sure he is a three down LBer. Skov to me looks like a player who could play SLB if Von was moved to DE. But not a player who can drop into coverage. Sure he can be a two down player, but I wouldn't want him as a coverage subpackage LB.