The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #26
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Not very often. The one time i noticed a max protect with 7 guys was the play posted above and Manning sat there for 4 seconds while Welker crossed his face, caught the ball and ran up the field for 16 yds. Pretty basic stuff. If the rush was bothering Manning, Gase needed to do some things to settle him down. Call some plays with 6-7 blockers and let him read the defense and slow the game down. Gase might be the most amazing offensive coordinator we will ever seen in a few years but some of his calls were straight up questionable in this game.
That is what the Pats do when Brady is getting hammered. Block everybody and give him time.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #27
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Not very often. The one time i noticed a max protect with 7 guys was the play posted above and Manning sat there for 4 seconds while Welker crossed his face, caught the ball and ran up the field for 16 yds. Pretty basic stuff. If the rush was bothering Manning, Gase needed to do some things to settle him down. Call some plays with 6-7 blockers and let him read the defense and slow the game down. Gase might be the most amazing offensive coordinator we will ever seen in a few years but some of his calls were straight up questionable in this game.
Totally agree.

"Rawr, we're gonna go with what got us here! Heavy pressure be damned!" - Broncos offensive adjustments

It was obvious to everyone except the Broncos offensive braintrust the Seasquawks were successful at getting pressure early on off the edges.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:02 AM   #28
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Regarding **** protection and a complete lack of willingness to help out our tackles despite it working when it was tried, we thoroughly discussed the coaching staff of the Broncos [wrong] belief that an extra blocker makes the pocket more crowded and likely to get hit (in thread itself, not in podcast). Yours truly is correct as almost always (here's lookin at you, Dom, haha):

http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread....&highlight=max
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #29
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'm still going through the videos but I don't understand it. Seattle's DL, to their credit played effective and our OL being inept this game for whatever reason, couldn't pick up basic blocking assignments like 3 man rushes. We have the most accurate QB in the game playing against man/zone defenses, let him sit back there read the defense, and be accurate. I counted one time where we did a max protect and it worked. I see that Gase was trying to get Manning going other ways calling quick pass plays like bubble/slip screens. They didn't work that well because of how Seattle runs to the ball on D and our WR's inability to maintain their blocks. I can see why Gase was calling it, our guys didn't execute. A lot of these plays are just poor execution. I can ding Gase for not adapting bringing in more blockers but the players **** the pot too. Not that it needed to be said but watching this film is just frustrating. We had made these plays all year and just turtled in the bright lights on all fronts.

Last edited by bpc; 02-05-2014 at 07:08 AM..
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #30
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
I'm still going through the videos but I don't understand it. Seattle's DL, to their credit played effective and our OL being inept this game for whatever reason, couldn't pick up basic blocking assignments like 3 man rushes. We have the most accurate QB in the game playing against man/zone defenses, let him sit back there read the defense, and be accurate. I counted one time where we did a max protect and it worked. I see that Gase was trying to get Manning going other ways calling quick pass plays like bubble/slip screens. They didn't work that well because of how Seattle runs to the ball.

Lots of questionable calls this game. Not that it needed to be said but watching this film is just frustrating. We had made these plays all year and just turtled in the bright lights.
As i said, once manning gets rattled..he becomes below average QB..he could have taken sack.instead, he threw interceptions.
go_broncos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #31
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I'm still going through the videos but I don't understand it. Seattle's DL, to their credit played effective and our OL being inept this game for whatever reason, couldn't pick up basic blocking assignments like 3 man rushes. We have the most accurate QB in the game playing against man/zone defenses, let him sit back there read the defense, and be accurate. I counted one time where we did a max protect and it worked. I see that Gase was trying to get Manning going other ways calling quick pass plays like bubble/slip screens. They didn't work that well because of how Seattle runs to the ball.

Lots of questionable calls this game. Not that it needed to be said but watching this film is just frustrating. We had made these plays all year and just turtled in the bright lights.
Did you go through that thread? The Broncos coaching staff's philosophy is, AND I QUOTE:

“Ironically, that’s the natural way to start (thinking) is to pack more in,” said Del Rio, Denver’s interim head coach. “But quarterbacks are actually hit more often when you pack them in. And they’re hit far more often in maximum protection. In fact, one of the times he was hit Sunday was on a max protection and the tight end got beat.”

“More people doesn’t ensure that he’s not going to get hit. I mean, he’s going to get hit some in the flow of the game. That’s just how it is,” Del Rio said. “And I think we do a very good job. I think our guy gets hit less than most, and that’s going to remain a focal point for us.”

Read more at http://gazette.com/broncos-shun-ploy...wHPflJQhZ8u.99

^ which was all fine most of the year, but when it's not working, it's time to ****ing try something
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #32
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think that's the most stupid reasoning by JDR that i've ever heard. I could understand if you are playing a blitzing team and you pack it in, that your QB could get hit more. That being said, Seattle barely blitzed all year and they didn't all that much this game.

That's just a failure to adapt and understand tendencies.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #33
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Poor coaching. Poor execution.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #34
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

we did everything wrong I think this thread should be what did we do right...my post..NOT MUCH
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #35
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The open play here was to have DT wipe out that backer and throw the swing pass to Moreno. Then you have Moreno one on one with a corner for an easy 10+ yard gain.

Quote:
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #36
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I'm going back and watching the film from SBXLVIII.
So what are your other hobbies? Taking an eye wash with Tabasco sauce? Swimming in a pool of piranhas? Bungee jumping with fish hooks attached to your nards?
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #37
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
The open play here was to have DT wipe out that backer and throw the swing pass to Moreno. Then you have Moreno one on one with a corner for an easy 10+ yard gain.
Moreno would of got a pretty good gain there.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #38
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Did they ever even bother trying max protect with two TE's when it became more than apparent there was no stopping our edges from getting caved in? I was so upset a can't even remember. I don't recall it if we did. I'll get the nerve to watch it again in a day or two.
I read somewhere that we ran a 3+WR set for all but 2 plays in the game - and I think one of those plays was the 2pt conversion.

So to answer your questions, no they didn't try anything different. Stick with what's not working is what I always say.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #39
OldschoolFreak
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRtagger View Post
I read somewhere that we ran a 3+WR set for all but 2 plays in the game - and I think one of those plays was the 2pt conversion.

So to answer your questions, no they didn't try anything different. Stick with what's not working is what I always say.
So frustrating that they just got rattled instead of doing something to change things up and react.
OldschoolFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #40
OldschoolFreak
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Great thread OP. Painful but informative. Obviously Fox is getting blown up here today (and rightly so) but man, the execution on the field was just so bad...

I know it's not PC to talk this way but I have a hard time crediting Seattle rathen just blaming the Broncos for just not showing up, not putting up any sort of a fight, and just giving the game away through lack of preparation, execution, and ability to adapt.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #41
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Please show a screen grab of the 4th and 2 play that failed. You will see that JT sits down in the middle of the field 4 yards from the LOS with no one within 5 yards of him. WIDE OPEN. Yet Manning stares at DT the whole time on the far sideline.

Manning was absolute horsecrap this game. He lulls me in and then reminds why he has so much yet to prove to me as far as ever trusting him. Always thought he was an overrated choker and still do.
MplsBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #42
OldschoolFreak
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsBronco View Post
Manning was absolute horsecrap this game. He lulls me in and then reminds why he has so much yet to prove to me as far as ever trusting him. Always thought he was an overrated choker and still do.
That's pretty harsh. He's most of the reason we got here. That's why it goes back to coaching in my mind. Yes, Manning obviously struggled, but Fox leans so heavily on Manning being Manning that he didn't have his team ready in any way to help bail him out and turn the tide. The coaching is meek and overly rigid in it's lean on the QB and when that type of game doesn't unfold, they're lost. I honestly believe it wouldn't have taken much.

A turnover (ok, this would have been a player stepping up rather than the coaches), an early aggressive 4th and 2 conversion, a dominant drive committed to the run, a trick play that you haven't put on film all year, some max protect, anything! But no, the coaches (and really the players too) didn't react and just watched him struggle when the game plan that clicked all year was ineffective.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #43
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldschoolFreak View Post
That's pretty harsh. He's most of the reason we got here. That's why it goes back to coaching in my mind. Yes, Manning obviously struggled, but Fox leans so heavily on Manning being Manning that he didn't have his team ready in any way to help bail him out and turn the tide. The coaching is meek and overly rigid in it's lean on the QB and when that type of game doesn't unfold, they're lost. I honestly believe it wouldn't have taken much.

A turnover (ok, this would have been a player stepping up rather than the coaches), an early aggressive 4th and 2 conversion, a dominant drive committed to the run, a trick play that you haven't put on film all year, some max protect, anything! But no, the coaches (and really the players too) didn't react and just watched him struggle when the game plan that clicked all year was ineffective.
I don't disagree with you in the least. Count me as one who feels we don't have the coach or the QB to get it done.
MplsBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #44
ram40ut
Seasoned Veteran

I am the danger

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoeey View Post
First play would have resulted in pick. Same as second. If you are telling me the safety or the lb can't cover that ground.............. lmao at you
It's amazing how some slapstick armchair OC can go back and look at film and THINK they know which plays are winners or not. For instance, on the 1st pick, did anyone notice that Julius never looked up until the ball was being picked off?

The offensive line was on wheels from the frst play, they got totally and utterly dominated. The receivers got no separation, the defense couldn't get off the field, the secondary was a step slow, and special teams were not special. The play that the OP says Decker was wide open, was probably not open from Peyton's perspective. All week long before and after the New England game, all you heard from the media was how they had so many people injured, while I have yet to hear anything from the media about how many starters Denver lost. It wouldn't have made a difference in this game, because Pete Carroll motivate his team and has me ready. Fox, I'm not sure what he does, but he obviously didn't have this team ready to play.

This game does not fall on Peyton. He struggled mightily for sure, but after that first snap over his head, Seattle smelled blood and swarmed like a pack of rabid dogs. Nobody was going to beat them Sunday, nobody. Utter domination. Have we heard Fox come out say the game was on him as much as anybody. Maybe he has, and I haven't heard it, because I can't bare to watch anybody else trash Peyton.

There was as much if not more pressure on him to beat Brady three weeks ago that not was Sunday, but he didn't choke. It's easy to sit back when your butt hurt because your team lost, but how DT get a pass. They finally get something going, and he's out there carrying the ball like a loaf of bread, as was Julius. They have done it all year long. He'll yes he struggled, but he hasn't see a pass rush since the 2nd chargers game. How about a little in game adjustment when it's obvious the pass rush was killing them upfront. If not for him, this team never makes the playoffs. It falls on John Fox. That guy is not a leader, a motivator, or gam planer. He has been propped up by Peyton Manning. I told you guys back during the Indy game, that I watched as Tony Dungy and the rest of the teams, organization, fans, and their own shifty eyed water boy stood around with their collective finger stuck up their ass waiting for Peyton to bail them out. There is no leadership on this team, and an even worse sense of urgency. It's pathetic, and the same thing wil happen again. Next year.

Last edited by ram40ut; 02-05-2014 at 10:36 AM..
ram40ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #45
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Peyton has as big a hand in this loss as any other player. Being great in other games doesn't mean he was great again. No one gets a pass.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #46
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Please show a screen grab of the 4th and 2 play that failed. You will see that JT sits down in the middle of the field 4 yards from the LOS with no one within 5 yards of him. WIDE OPEN. Yet Manning stares at DT the whole time on the far sideline.

You would rather watch a 6 win team without him I am guessing.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #47
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
You would rather watch a 6 win team without him I am guessing.
I have it, just been working today will post when able.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #48
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Just wanted to give BPC some props for posting all of this. Very eye opening for sure
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #49
Salish
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Next drive, 1st and 10. Denver comes out in 4 wide, Seattle combats with Nickel cover 2 zone. Manning completes the pass for five yards to Welker on a short dig route in the middle of the zone but gets him lit up by Chancellor. He locked onto the center of the field, never bothering to look outside at Decker who was playing in the slot and running an out route which could have been turned up field for a gain of 9 or 10 yards after both corners locked on to DT running a curl route. We've seen Manning and Decker hook up on this same pass countless times including late last week vs. the Patriots for the 1st down. We ended up throwing a pick on 3rd down later this drive but this could have been an easy 1st down, or 2nd and 1.

Both corners are NOT locked on DT running a curl. Look closely at the inside corner. He's spying Manning, poised and ready to jump the route you're saying he should throw to. Seen Seattle do this all year long. Lots of Ints that way. If Manning lasers it to the sidelines, maybe Decker gets it for no YAC. If not, it's a 50/50 INT. If Manning throws a duck, it could be a pick 6.

This is why Manning gets paid millions and you don't.
Salish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #50
BigPlayShay
Ring of Famer

Novaking

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Got Cut

Quote:

BigPlayShay is offline   Reply With Quote