The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default SB XLVIII : Blown plays

I'm going back and watching the film from SBXLVIII. Not pretty and it's enough to make you throw up. We left so many plays on the field. All levels are responsible but I'm going to highlight some just in the 1st half on offense with pictures and continue on as I have time. It will be a process but i'll update as I go. Please excuse my poor handwriting.

I love Manning but he missed so many wide open players this game. Dude got hit a few times, immediately got nervous and tight, and started locking on to his first read and throwing it, almost zero progressions. We went into the half down 0-22, but we really should have had 14-17 pts on offense if we don't screw up so many plays.

1st play: 2nd and 7 on our 38. This is the play that Manning hit DT on the crosser and he got tattoed. Set the tone for the game and we only got 2 yds out of it. We really should have had a 1st down instead. Offense is lined up in bunch, Decker motions to the right of the formation, with the TE to his inside. The defense is lined up in nickel cover 2, but it's really a nickel cover 1 robber disguised. Basic stuff that Seattle has done all year. Earl Thomas is lined up over the top of Julius 10 yds off the ball and playing the deep center. After motion Decker gets a great release off the LOS, runs a skinny post and stutter steps Sherman, turning him around and putting him in terrible position as he gets the inside with the FS bailing. KJ Wright, #50 turns and is trailing Julius Thomas running the crosser opposite of DT (running right to left, left to right) and Decker is simply wide ass open. Manning doesn't see him because he's locked on so tight waiting for DT breaking free underneath. Chancellor is just squatting in the robber position, waiting for the route in the middle part of the field. Manning throws it, DT gets blasted, 2 yr game. Message sent.

bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

All of them?

And yes Manning sucked big dick all night long. If anyone was wondering what Kyle Orton would look like in a Super Bowl it would look something like that.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

This was a route that we've seen Atlanta run last year for a TD on Sherman. Jarious Wright from Minnesota ran it, wide open, TD. You can get Sherman turned around because he has tight hips when required to turn and run. He's great at running on streaks/fades and playing deep balls because of his length and straight line speed. You can get him all day on double moves, skinny posts, outs and comebacks. I'm surprised at how little we tested him on this.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Tell me if my suspicion is true. Did Manning ever even look Decker's way or did he just write him off all game because Sherman was on him?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Hard to tell if he was actually avoiding him, or just shell-shocked from taking a lick or two early. Once he got hit, he was locking on like crazy and showed little faith he thought the tackles were going to keep him upright. It was a killer on offense.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #6
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Next drive, 1st and 10. Denver comes out in 4 wide, Seattle combats with Nickel cover 2 zone. Manning completes the pass for five yards to Welker on a short dig route in the middle of the zone but gets him lit up by Chancellor. He locked onto the center of the field, never bothering to look outside at Decker who was playing in the slot and running an out route which could have been turned up field for a gain of 9 or 10 yards after both corners locked on to DT running a curl route. We've seen Manning and Decker hook up on this same pass countless times including late last week vs. the Patriots for the 1st down. We ended up throwing a pick on 3rd down later this drive but this could have been an easy 1st down, or 2nd and 1.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
whoeey
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

First play would have resulted in pick. Same as second. If you are telling me the safety or the lb can't cover that ground.............. lmao at you
whoeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Dude you are getting me all riled up with these photos. He also had Julius Thomas one on one with Sherman. I'd take that all day long. OJ is the same speed and 40 pounds heavier.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #9
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoeey View Post
First play would have resulted in pick. Same as second. If you are telling me the safety or the lb can't cover that ground.............. lmao at you

If Manning can't fit the ball in those windows he no longer has an arm that belongs in the NFL.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #10
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

3rd and 7 on the Broncos 23. Denver comes out in Shotgun tight, 4 wide. Seattle is in Nickel cover 1. Chancellor is the single high, they move Thomas over the top of the tight WR & corner back. This SCREAMS blitz so Manning should know ASAP that this is a blitz formation and it's going to be coming fast. They are running crossers again with the underneath WR's, Welker and Julius Thomas. DT & Decker are running the coverage off. Manning targets Julius who is going high on the crosser. Pass rush closing in, Manning steps into this throw and floats it right into Chancellor's hands. JT was wide open for a first. Welker running low on the crosser could have been tackled right at the LOS. He was open too. Another attempt to convert a 3rd down and now the Seahawks have it at 1st and 10 at our 36. Poor poor throw by Manning. This was the opening of the floodgates. The defense had been on the field basically the whole 1st quarter. They had stopped Seattle to two FG's the previous drives, 0-8 lead. This drive Seattle put in the endzone for a 0-15 advantage early in the 2nd qtr.

Last edited by bpc; 02-04-2014 at 11:09 PM..
Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #11
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

2nd & 4, following drive, Denver down 0-15. Broncos need to get a drive going as momentum is slipping away. They start running a bunch of underneath stuff, bubble screens. Making the DB's have to creep up. They throw one to DT & get Decker & Welker blocking Wright and Maxwell. They dominate Wright and kick him out, all Welker has to do is put his body in-between Maxwell and Decker and there is a HUGE seam straight to the sideline and down the field. Thomas might have tackled him after 10 yards with his angle but DT could have ran through it, we've seen him do that a lot over the past 3 years. Maxwell shakes Welker, he misses the tackle and and DT gets stopped for 3 yds. This was a sign of things to come because our WR's didn't block for **** on running plays for the most part.

(For give the squiggly seam, it should be straight through Welker & Decker's butt cheaks up the field to the sideline.)

Old 02-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #12
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

3rd and 1 on our 39, same exact play to the opposite side. Denver gets the exact defense they just saw, it's wide open, WR's just need to get inside leverage and let DT make the last guy miss or break the tackle and it's 6. Now Decker misses the block. Gain of 1 and a first down, could have been a lot more.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #13
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

This one's painful to watch because Manning normally hammers defenses that play like this. Seattle brings a zone blitz with an LB on the A gap, DE dropping against 3 wide. DT looks solo'd up with the single high FS protecting deep center. Manning takes his shot down field into double coverage and sadly, if this is a better pass, DT has a chance to make the play and get down the 15-20 yd line. As it is, once he saw the FS crashing towards DT, with the DE in zone coverage, lost, he should have looked towards Julius who was coming left to right on a in pattern. Could have been a 20-25 yd play on the right sideline that would have put us in FG range for sure.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Here's a nice play that went to Welker for 16 yds. I highlight it because Denver went max protection on a 3 wide set leaving JT/Ball into block. Manning had a long time to throw and Welker got open. Not really sure why Gase never did this more with Manning feeling the heat and our tackles struggling like crazy when Seattle went to blatant pass rushing sets.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Gonna have to disagree bpc.

In hindsight, all these plays were not too shabby.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:07 AM   #16
Ol#7
Not Too Shabby!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bucky Dilts

bpc, I was noticing the same thing. I saw Welker run wide open and Manning never even look at him. I think thats why I kept thinking we were about to mount a comeback, because there were plays to be made all day. Honestly, drawing Seattle in the SB should have meant an easy road to the Lombardi. Thats a defense we should have taken advantage of all day. Bad personell groupings, bad play calling and terrible execution.
Ol#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:23 AM   #17
Bronco Yoda

Did they ever even bother trying max protect with two TE's when it became more than apparent there was no stopping our edges from getting caved in? I was so upset a can't even remember. I don't recall it if we did. I'll get the nerve to watch it again in a day or two.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #18
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I don't need snap shots to know that Manning played like a little b**** that game. His first INT the guy was actually open and he floats an overthrow out there. I mean, he made it too easy for Seattle. There were a ton of plays to be had out there but Manning just wet the bed too often. That's a fact.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #19
whoeey
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I don't need snap shots to know that Manning played like a little b**** that game. His first INT the guy was actually open and he floats an overthrow out there. I mean, he made it too easy for Seattle. There were a ton of plays to be had out there but Manning just wet the bed too often. That's a fact.
Rumor has it that JT got bumped and broke off his route. That came pretty early on?
whoeey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:42 AM   #20
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Another huge play on the long drive before halftime for Denver, 2nd and 1 on the Hawks 33 yd line. Denver lines up in 3 wide. Hawks know Denver will try to run and they line up in their base defense with LB's up in the gaps. This is about the easiest blocking assignment a team can have. 1 on 1 down the line, move your guys. Because the LB's are up in the gamethe 2nd level is WIDE ASS OPEN if Ball can break the LOS. We've seen this play pop before. Down 0-15, Denver is not out of this game if they can get a TD on this drive it cuts the deficit in half before halftime. Then this bit of stupidity happens:

Old 02-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #21
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

The play is a basic shotgun 3 wide, offtackle play that spread teams use hundreds of times during the season. For whatever reason, Orlando Franklin decides to step down, opening up a huge lane which Cliff Avril steps right through and pops Ball in the mouth, for a zero gain. If Orlando mans his guy, Ball sniffs out a hole and it's off for at least 5-10 yds. Probably the latter with how Ball was running late in the year and breaking tackles.

If you are going to be a passing team and they give numbers/defenses like this where you can run, you gotta collect those f'n mistakes. Unbelievable how bad our team played on offense, things we haven't done all year. Difference between winning and losing. Difference between 43-8 vs. it being a close game or even a win.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #22
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Did they ever even bother trying max protect with two TE's when it became more than apparent there was no stopping our edges from getting caved in? I was so upset a can't even remember. I don't recall it if we did. I'll get the nerve to watch it again in a day or two.
Not very often. The one time i noticed a max protect with 7 guys was the play posted above and Manning sat there for 4 seconds while Welker crossed his face, caught the ball and ran up the field for 16 yds. Pretty basic stuff. If the rush was bothering Manning, Gase needed to do some things to settle him down. Call some plays with 6-7 blockers and let him read the defense and slow the game down. Gase might be the most amazing offensive coordinator we will ever seen in a few years but some of his calls were straight up questionable in this game.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #23
ATL-Eric
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

In theory, youre right, but when youre playing against 11 roided up Lawrence Taylors it all goes out the window
ATL-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #24
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

History has proven that manning gets rattled if he got hit couple of times.
OL for the most part did good job in protecting manning(except few games - jaguars).

he will be 38 next season..hopefully, we are going to win a SB before he retires.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #25
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Out!
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote