The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



View Poll Results: Pick the players you think are better options than Knowshon Moreno:
Ben Tate (Texans) 7 14.00%
Rashad Jennings (Raiders) 7 14.00%
Darren McFadden (Raiders) 7 14.00%
Andre Brown (Giants) 3 6.00%
Maurice Jones Drew (Jaguars) 13 26.00%
Rashard Mendenhall (Cardinals) 0 0%
Donald Brown (Colts) 3 6.00%
Ahmad Bradshaw (Colts) 0 0%
James Starks (Packers) 1 2.00%
LeGarrette Blount (Patriots) 3 6.00%
Anthony Dixon (49ers) 2 4.00%
Toby Gerhart (Vikings) 5 10.00%
La'Rod Stephens-Howling (Steelers) 0 0%
Jonathan Dwyer (Steelers) 0 0%
Bernard Scott (Ravens) 1 2.00%
Brian Leonard (Tampa Bay) 0 0%
Felix Jones (Steelers) 0 0%
Ronnie Brown (Chargers) 0 0%
(R) Ka'Deem Carey - Arizona 7 14.00%
(R) Carlos Hyde - Ohio St. 3 6.00%
(R) Tre Mason - Auburn 7 14.00%
(R) Bishp Sankey - Washington 1 2.00%
(R) Lache Seastrunk - Baylor 1 2.00%
(R) Jeremy Hill - LSU 3 6.00%
(R) Kapri Bibbs - Colo. St. 0 0%
(R) Marion Grice - Arz. St. 0 0%
(R) Charles Sims - W. Virg. 0 0%
(R) Andre Williams - Boston Coll. 4 8.00%
None - Knowshon Moreno is a better option than all of these 17 34.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #51
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer
 
Gutless Drunk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,747

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker View Post
How are they not the same back. Ball has half the carries, half the yards; almost the same exact yds/att and half the TD's. If you extrapolate Ball's stats over the same number of carries they are almost identical. You can say that Ball has better vision, stutter steps, etc, but the proof is in the stats. There is nothing based in the stats nor the combine stats that indicates he is anything more than Moreno part II. Ball is not a game changing, factor back who will make defenses be HONEST in playing defense because he will not scare anyone.

Player Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
Knowshon Moreno 241 1038 4.3 31 10
Montee Ball 120 559 4.7 45 4
Because he was a rookie, who admittedly, had no idea what the **** he was doing for the first half of the year.

First 8 games - average 2.36 per carry
games 9-16 - average 5.25 per carry

I didn't say he was necessarily a "factor back" He is just not Moreno because their measurables are similar.

LeSean McCoy rookie season - 155 carries 637 yards 4.1 per carry 4 TDs
Montee Ball rookie season - 120 carries 559 yards 4.7 per carry 4 TDs

Last edited by Gutless Drunk; 02-05-2014 at 11:10 AM..
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #52
yerner
Ring of Famer
 
yerner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 3,936
Default

We should have just waited a year and drafted Carey. That dude will make Montee look super ordinary. I love Seastrunk too. Too eager to get a back last year I think.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #53
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldschoolFreak View Post
I agree with this. Don't waste precious cap space on a big name (and old!) MJD or DMC. CJ showed a ton of promise everytime he touched the ball. Also, the thing to keep in mind is what we lose with Moreno leaving. Ball is clearly hte better bellcow back at this point. Where Moreno was really valuable was as a third down back because of his blocking and pass catching. I don't know about Gerhart's hands as a receiver but he seems like the kind of mauler that can keep #18 clean.
MJD is going to be 29 at the beginning of next year which is two years older than Moreno, that is not old. He played with one of the worst offensive lines in football still averaged 3.4 a carry, had 804 yards on 234 carries, is an exception pass blocker, has game breaking speed still ( 5 carries of 20 + and 2 of 40 +) and is one of the best receivers out of the backfield. He got robbed of 2012 due to the injury and played on a bad team this year. You wont have to break the bank in order to sign him because he wants to actually play for a winning team for a change. MJD will leave Jacksonville and be the Comeback Player of the Year.
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #54
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,350

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

You are basing your argument off stats. Their running styles are clearly different, but what do I know...I only used the eye test.

To me, Ball seems like more of a smash mouth, one cut runner that goes downhill. Moreno has always been a little "dancey" although I will admit he's been better, and while he can get the tough yards he just doesn't seem as powerful.

I'd give the edge to both receiving and blocking right now to Moreno. But they aren't the same backs, I don't think it's even close. I also am not convinced Ball is the #1 yet either.

So there, more than a "nope" and you're still wrong.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #55
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer
 
Chrissy Rules's Avatar
 
Git er done

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Peyton's Place
Posts: 2,549

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE
Default

not to be a downer but I wonder how many other teams sat here in our position being the SB losers and trying to figure this out and then the saying comes true about the SB losers don't even make the playoffs....sorry but it had to be said cause well its happened more then not
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #56
OldschoolFreak
Solid Starter
 
OldschoolFreak's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 169

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
not to be a downer but I wonder how many other teams sat here in our position being the SB losers and trying to figure this out and then the saying comes true about the SB losers don't even make the playoffs....sorry but it had to be said cause well its happened more then not
Those teams don't have PMFM.
OldschoolFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #57
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer
 
Chrissy Rules's Avatar
 
Git er done

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Peyton's Place
Posts: 2,549

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldschoolFreak View Post
That .4 YPC difference is significant. But again, why does everyone think we need a home run threat? Keeping the D honest by pulling the safeties up to open up the pass? Isn't that type of situational-only running the same thing that got us labelled as soft?

No, what we need is a smashmouth grinder that gets rushing first downs no matter how many defenders stack the box.
not to be a downer... but I wonder how many SB losing
teams sat here in our position trying to figure out this and that and didn't even make the playoffs the next year...that would suck but its happened more times then not
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #58
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,350

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

what the **** is going on right now?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #59
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer
 
Chrissy Rules's Avatar
 
Git er done

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Peyton's Place
Posts: 2,549

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
what the **** is going on right now?
Its called we can not believe how bad we got our butts kicked ....
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #60
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer
 
Powderaddict's Avatar
 
Go Broncos!!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Western CO
Posts: 1,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
what the **** is going on right now?
Luigi's girlfriend showed up.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #61
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 19,150

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

Ball should be ready year 2 protection wise.

But we need a guy who can run the screens and pass catch like Moreno, I do not trust Ball as a pass cather out of the backfield.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #62
go_broncos
Ring of Famer
 
49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,684

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
Ball should be ready year 2 protection wise.

But we need a guy who can run the screens and pass catch like Moreno, I do not trust Ball as a pass cather out of the backfield.
I agree..without Moreno, we would not have won.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #63
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather
 
Houshyamama's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,476

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default

I'm all for bringing Moreno back, and I selected the last option in the poll, but I think it will come down to an issue of value, rather than who is the best back on the list.

What price will he command on the FA market, and can we get better value elsewhere?
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #64
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Where is Amazon!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 34,636

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!
Default

If CJ Anderson and maybe even JJ were added to the Poll I might vote in it.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #65
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer
 
Chrissy Rules's Avatar
 
Git er done

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Peyton's Place
Posts: 2,549

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldschoolFreak View Post
Those teams don't have PMFM.
Peyton is not the problem...
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #66
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?
 
El Guapo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,978
Default

Beat me to it. I was going to mention CJ. /thread
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #67
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,319

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
Beat me to it. I was going to mention CJ. /thread
CJ does deserve some carries. Everytime he touches the ball he gains positive yards. Granted it has been in a handful of carries but he does look pretty good when given the chance.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #68
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,015

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm thinking he's one of the few people on that list that I'd want, but really, it's only based on reputation, not any actual productivity he's put up in the last three years. It would be hard to make the argument that he's a better back than Moreno right now. Right now in Raider-land, they talk about the guy as a bust.

All things considered, I'd rather have Jennings.
I like Jennings too. I just think the McFadden has been seriously misused by the faiders. He needs to operate out of a single back set much like TD did with the Broncos. He used to be explosive and deceivingly fast, he reminded me a lot of Marcus Allen when running. He's got fantastic hands too.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #69
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
not to be a downer but I wonder how many other teams sat here in our position being the SB losers and trying to figure this out and then the saying comes true about the SB losers don't even make the playoffs....sorry but it had to be said cause well its happened more then not
There's a reason for that and we should all be very concerned about it. The Broncos are going into this season with a huge target on their backs. They're going to get everybody's absolute A-game because 1) they were a Superbowl team and 2) they were blown out. Teams are already circling this game on their calendars. If we make it back to the Superbowl, it will be absolutely remarkable.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #70
ZONA
Ring of Famer
 
ZONA's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 10,045

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Too bad Hillman sucks because we need speed.
That's my angle on this. If you're looking at Ball as your #1 guy next year, because let's face it, Moreno will get more dollars and we honestly need that for other players right now. And of your 2 main RB's, they should be a little different then each other. One the tough runner who is also good around the goal line and can block, the other a more dynamic and faster threat. I love what Moreno has done this year and if the dollars were right I would be thrilled to have him back. I just don't think that's going to work out in our favor. We know Hillman is done. He's a speed guy but not very shifty and not great ball security either.

I like what Donald Brown did this year. He's a very smart, fast and shifty runner and would be a great combo with Ball. I also like Carey out of Arizona. For a smaller faster shifty guy, he runs with a tough style and has great ball security. He'd be a great pair with Ball.

I think CJ will get his chances too.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #71
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer
 
Powderaddict's Avatar
 
Go Broncos!!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Western CO
Posts: 1,121

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
There's a reason for that and we should all be very concerned about it. The Broncos are going into this season with a huge target on their backs. They're going to get everybody's absolute A-game because 1) they were a Superbowl team and 2) they were blown out. Teams are already circling this game on their calendars. If we make it back to the Superbowl, it will be absolutely remarkable.
If the Broncos make it back before 2030 they will be over represented, according to the law of averages.

Making the Superbowl is an absolutely remarkable feat. It is rare. It means you beat some very good competition, and probably had a little luck go your way.

Which is why when they lose so badly, it is so painful, so disheartening. Because it is so rare.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #72
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer
 
Chrissy Rules's Avatar
 
Git er done

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Peyton's Place
Posts: 2,549

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
If the Broncos make it back before 2030 they will be over represented, according to the law of averages.

Making the Superbowl is an absolutely remarkable feat. It is rare. It means you beat some very good competition, and probably had a little luck go your way.

Which is why when they lose so badly, it is so painful, so disheartening. Because it is so rare.
then we have a lot of work to do...I don't think not going back next year is an option Elway is only going to deal with it so much himself
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #73
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,280

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Chrissy Rules vs. the Field? I take the field.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #74
spiralism
Pro Bowler
 
spiralism's Avatar
 
Fox MUST go

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ireland
Posts: 729

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon
Default

Moreno is the best option there. MJD is old, DMAC is a crock and Johnson will want ridiculous money.
spiralism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:20 PM   #75
Castinkas
Solid Starter
 
Castinkas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 170

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast
Default

I think the biggest factor in determining if we sign any of these backs will be the price of doing so. There is a lot of quality backs on that list.
Castinkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM.


Denver Broncos