The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #126
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
He's also editing in the teams people prefer on the 1st page in order.
This was the information I was missing, my apologies. For a second there it seemed like PMs were being shared or something.

I'd prefer Minnesota over New Orleans, honestly. I think they obviously have more needs.

edit: Didn't realize Buff had a history with Jacksonville. No big deal.

Last edited by Shananahan; 02-14-2014 at 12:17 PM..
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #127
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
With compensation picks, Dallas is likely to have around 5 selections in the 7th round, while Philly has fewer selections overall but more in the first 5 rounds.

How hardcore are you at drafting? I'd say if you're hardcore and know a ton of sleeper prospects, go Dallas for more selections, if you're more casual, I'd say go with Philly.

None of this may count for anything, but maybe I can save Elway some time and make everyone happy by getting this done. Anyway, let me know which of those two sound better for you personally.
Dallas sounds awesome. Love late round gems
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #128
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
This was the information I was missing, my apologies. For a second there it seemed like PMs were being shared or something.

I'd prefer Minnesota over New Orleans, honestly. I think they obviously have more needs.
My thinking there was that Jebures did Minnesota last year, he played through the FA2 round, and they were his first team requested this year. So, I thought that had a little more weight.

With the Jags, it was almost the same thing, Coloradobuff had them last year and they were his first wish this year.

You had Washington last year, so to me, that would make you the winner of Washington if they had been your first choice.

I'm by NO MEANS the final say on this, I'm just trying to help out, but that's my thinking and why I thought the third team, the Saints, was the first real team you had a shot at since the guy who did them the last two years was not participating this year and they were a top 3 team on your list.

I understand though, trust me, I wanted SF and their bazillion selections. It just made more sense to stick me with the third team on my list for reasons similar to yours.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #129
ColoradoBuff
Ring of Famer

In Manning We Trust......

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

it would be nice if we could get people to stay with the same team year after year and see who can build the best dynasty, not hop to the team with the most draft picks.
ColoradoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #130
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Texans are willing to listen to offers for the 1st overall pick.

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #131
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
My thinking there was that Jebures did Minnesota last year, he played through the FA2 round, and they were his first team requested this year. So, I thought that had a little more weight.

With the Jags, it was almost the same thing, Coloradobuff had them last year and they were his first wish this year.

You had Washington last year, so to me, that would make you the winner of Washington if they had been your first choice.

I'm by NO MEANS the final say on this, I'm just trying to help out, but that's my thinking and why I thought the third team, the Saints, was the first real team you had a shot at since the guy who did them the last two years was not participating this year and they were a top 3 team on your list.

I understand though, trust me, I wanted SF and their bazillion selections. It just made more sense to stick me with the third team on my list for reasons similar to yours.
Your "help" is so very much appreciated.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #132
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Texans are willing to listen to offers for the 1st overall pick.

Drum up some interest! If nobody wants to trade with you, who are you going to take at #1?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #133
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Jhonny UTAH!
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #134
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Drum up some interest! If nobody wants to trade with you, who are you going to take at #1?
I am going to laugh my balls off if the Texans fart that pick away and take Manziel. Great college QB but will be average at best in the NFL. I just see the next Matt Leinart with him. Loves the spotlight but isnt a pro QB

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 02-14-2014 at 02:08 PM..
Old 02-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #135
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I am going to laugh my balls off if the Texans fart that pick away and take Manziel. Great college QB but will be average at best in the NFL. I just see the next Matt Leinart with him. Loves the spotlight but isnt a pro QB
I actually think Manziel will be a very good NFL. However he does not need to be anywhere near Texas. He is coddled far too much and being in his home state would be far too distracting.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #136
BroncosfanGuy
Luddite

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
What the hell? What's the point of a PM if the information is going to be shared and then posted by somebody else?
it's probably easier to aggregate the information via PM rather than sift through posts in the thread.
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #137
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
it's probably easier to aggregate the information via PM rather than sift through posts in the thread.
You are exactly right, my friend.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #138
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

I still need priority lists of teams from:

Requiem
Mediator
Carmelo15
BMore
Thumpc
Eddie mac

Aside from drafters with their teams of long standing, I won't assign any teams until I get lists from the above drafters.

Last edited by JCMElway; 02-15-2014 at 09:34 AM..
Old 02-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #139
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

CONTESTED TEAMS

My goal is to get everyone the top rated team on their list. That obviously won't happen. So, in the scenario where Team A has 4 drafters requesting them, here is what we will do. The drafters who are vying for a contested team will guess a number 1-100 to Bowlenball and myself. We will take these guesses and post them in this thread. I will roll two percentile die to come up with a number 1-100. (Yes, I'm a former D&D geek. Get over it. Stop laughing. Stop!!) Anywho, I will then share this info with Bowlenball for transparency.

The team that is closest to 100 will get the contested team. The other teams will go to 2nd through 6th on their priority list. If there is a tie, we will re-roll.

If needs be, we will repeat this process again if teams are contested.

If DB4L and I have a contested team, we will remove ourselves from consideration for that team.

Last edited by JCMElway; 02-15-2014 at 09:36 AM..
Old 02-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #140
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Sounds good. Thanks again for setting this up.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #141
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Slightly confused on how this is going to work though.

Question 1
Lets say 5 people have SF as option #1, while 5 people have SF as option #2, and 5 people have SF as option #3. But all these people are very interested in drafting for SF obviously.

Who is rolling on SF? All of them? Only the ones that have that team as their #1 option?

Question 2
More specifically, and I'll use myself and Conklin as the example:

My preference order will be SF, NYJ, Cincy, Cleveland, Atlanta, Dallas.

Conklin's is NYJ, Atlanta, GB, Minnesota, Dallas, KC.

Lets say I lose the roll on SF. So, now I obviously want to roll for the NYJ. Does the fact the Jets are 2nd on my list, while being 1st on Conklin's list prevent me from rolling for them? If so, strategy may dictate I change the order of my list to increase my odds of winning if a ton of owners are going for my first choice but only one owner is going for my second choice.

Suggestion for total fairness

Step 1
The easiest way to handle this might be to pick 32 numbers for each team between 1 and 1000. PM Bowlen the numbers. Or me if he doesn't want to do the extra work this probably requires. I love this kind of sh*t.

Step 2
Have everyone guess a number for all teams in their Top 6, or however many they give if FEWER, and post them on the forums. This means most people will be guessing 6 different numbers and assigning each to a specific team. If they don't care which team, or have minor nitpicks (not Wash, an afc team, etc...) we can use them to fill in at the end.

Step 3
Bowlen or I do a spreadsheet with all the teams, all the potential owners, and input their number guesses. We list the owners for every team in order of whom guessed most accurately.

Step 4
If an owner wins multiple teams, we ask him to decide which one he wants. And the team(s) they won but passed on goes to the next closest winner. And we repeat the process as needed.

Step 5
In the unfortunate, and hopefully rare, event an owner is massively unlucky and fails to win a team in his top 6, we'll ask him for his top 5 of remaining teams and do the process again as needed.

Step 6
Once all the people that actually asked for specific teams obtain ownership, we'll fill in the blanks with the owners that were fine with whatever or had minor specifications discussed in Step 2 above.

To me, if we're going random dice, this makes the most sense.

Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 02-15-2014 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Grammar Errors
Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #142
Conklin
Outlose, Outcry, Out1st

I say we have a survivor style vote.
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #143
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

If the random dice proves to be too much of a headache, I still think 95-100% of the players in this game will be happy with the following logic based distribution:

Arizona - Ludo21 (1st choice)
Atlanta - Conklin (2nd choice)
Baltimore - Bmore
Buffalo - Broncosfanguy (1st choice)
Carolina - bpc (4th choice)
Chicago - SoDak Bronco (2nd choice)
Cincinnati - MUG (3rd choice)
Cleveland - Requiem (1st choice)
Dallas - NickStixx (3rd choice)
Denver - Lestat (1st choice)
Detroit - Florida Bronco (1st choice)
Green Bay - SRphoenix (1st choice)
Houston - 24champ (1st choice)
Indy - Mediator12
Jacksonville - Coloradobuff (1st choice)
KC - Carmelo15
Miami - OBF1
Minnesota - Jebures (1st choice)
New England - Eddie Mac
New Orleans - Shananahan (3rd choice)
NY Giants - Arkie (2nd choice)
NY Jets - Phibacka (3rd choice)
Oakland - Rugbythug (1st choice)
Philly - Broncoman4Ever (2nd choice)
Pittsburgh - Bowlenball (1st choice)
San Diego - Rolandftw (1st choice)
San Francisco - Elway (1st choice)
Seattle - Schaaf (4th choice)
St. Louis - Rohirrim (1st choice)
Tampa Bay - Traveler (1st choice)
Tennessee - Mr. Peepers (1st choice)
Washington - thumpc

WHY THIS WORKS:

1. Everyone gets a top 4 choice, with 85% getting their 1st or 2nd choice team.

2. Elway gets his first choice team, which I'm sure we all agree is fair, and everything flowed outward from that decision/starting point.

3. It's simple, fair, and complete.

LOGICIAL ASSUMPTIONS IN FILLING OUT THE TEAMS:

1. Get as many people as high a choice as possible while fitting everyone in their top 4 teams. This is WAY WAY WAY harder than you'd think.

2. Eddie Mac has taken the Patriots the last two years, I assume he will so again.

3. Mediator12 wanted the Broncos but loses out based on the rules deciding who gets them. Thus, he returns to Indianapolis whom he has controlled for several previous years.

4. Carmelo15 missed the game last year, but had the Chiefs the prior two years, I assume he'll want them again.

5. Nickstixx had Dallas last year, thus it made more sense to have him repeat as owner while Broncoman4ever takes his 2nd preference of an NFC East team, Philadelphia.

6. Mr. Peepers wants an AFC team and had Tennessee two seasons ago, I think he'll be fine taking them again.

7. OBF1 allowed for flexibility by saying he'd take any team as his 4th option, thus it made sense to give Schaaf Seattle (his 4th option) while giving OBF1 Miami whom has better draft picks anyway.

8. Bmore had Baltimore last year, I assume he'll take them again, especially since they should get some killer compensation picks (2 in 4th, 2 in 5th) so his concern about limited draft picks should be abated.

9. Florida Bronco wants any team but Washington. At this point, only Detroit and Washington were left. Thus, he'll be thrilled with Detroit.

10. Thumpc as the newbie to the game, from looking through past years, gets Washington.

Final Tallies:

Owners getting first choice: (19 or 60%) Ludo21, Bmore, Broncofanguy, Requiem, Lestat, SRphoenix, 24champ, Coloradobuff, Carmelo15, Jebures, Eddie Mac, Rugbythug, Bowlenball, Rolandftw, Elway, Rohirrim, Traveler, Mr. Peepers, Florida Bronco.

Owners getting second choice: (6 or 15%) Conklin, SoDak Bronco, Arkie, Broncoman4Ever, Mediator12, Shananahan

Owners getting third choice: (3 or 10%) MUG, Philbacka, Nickstixx

Owners getting fourth choice: (3 or 10%) bpc, OBF1, Schaaf

Newbie owners getting stuck with Washington: (1 or 5%) thumpc

Statistical Summary:

1. 75% (SEVENTY-FIVE PERCENT) of all owners have their first or second choice in terms of teams.

2. 85% (EIGHTY-FIVE PERCENT) of all owners have a team within their top 3 choices

3. 95% (NINETY-FIVE PERCENT) of all owners have a team within their top 4 choices.

4. If Thumpc doesn't mind Washington, than some/all the percentages above go up by 5% and 100% of the owners should be happy.

Last edited by Mat'hir Uth Gan; 02-15-2014 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Dotting i's and Crossing t's
Old 02-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #144
Conklin
Outlose, Outcry, Out1st

Quote:
If the random dice proves to be too much of a headache, I still think 95-100% of the players in this game will be happy with the following logic based distribution:

Baltimore - Bmore
Dallas - NickStixx
Detroit - Florida Bronco
Indy - Mediator12
KC - Carmelo15
Miami - OBF1
New England - Eddie Mac
Tennessee - Mr. Peepers
Washington - thumpc

WHY THIS WORKS:

1. Everyone gets a top 4 choice, with the vast majority getting their 1st or 2nd choice team.

2. Elway gets his first choice team, which I'm sure we all agree is fair, and everything flowed outward from that decision/starting point.

1. Get as many people as high a choice as possible while fitting everyone in their top 4 teams. This is WAY WAY WAY harder than you'd think.

2. Eddie Mac has taken the Patriots the last two years, I assume he will so again.

3. Mediator12 wanted the Broncos but loses out based on the rules deciding who gets them. Thus, he returns to Indianapolis whom he has controlled for several previous years.

4. Carmelo15 missed the game last year, but had the Chiefs the prior two years, I assume he'll want them again.

5. Nicksixx had Dallas last year, thus it made more sense to have him repeat as owner while Broncoman4ever takes his 2nd preference of an NFC East team, Philadelphia.

6. Mr. Peepers wants an AFC team and had Tennessee two seasons ago, I think he'll be fine taking them again.

7. OBF1 allowed for flexibility by saying he'd take any team as his 4th option, thus it made sense to give Schaaf Seattle (his 4th option) while giving OBF1 Miami whom has better draft picks anyway.

8. Bmore had Baltimore last year, I assume he'll take them again, especially since they should get some killer compensation picks (2 in 4th, 2 in 5th) so his concern about limited draft picks should be abated.

9. Florida Bronco wants any team but Washington. At this point, only Detroit and Washington were left. Thus, he'll be thrilled with Detroit.

10. Thumpc as the newbie to the game, from looking through past years, gets Washington.

Final Tallies:

Owners getting first choice: (19 or 60%) Ludo21, Bmore, Broncofanguy, Requiem, Lestat, SRphoenix, 24champ, Coloradobuff, Carmelo15, Jebures, Eddie Mac, Rugbythug, Bowlenball, Rolandftw, Elway, Rohirrim, Traveler, Mr. Peepers, Florida Bronco.

Owners getting second choice: (5 or 15%) Conklin, SoDak Bronco, Arkie, Broncoman4Ever, Mediator12.

Owners getting third choice: (3 or 10%) MUG, Shananahan, Philbacka.

Statistical Summary:

1. 75% (SEVENTY-FIVE PERCENT) of all owners have their first or second choice in terms of teams.

2. 85% (EIGHTY FIVE PERCENT) of all owners have a team within their top 3 choices

3. 95% (NINETY FIVE PERCENT) of all owners have a team within their top 5 choices.

4. If Thumpc doesn't mind Washington, than all the percentages above go up by 5% and 100% of the owners should be happy.
ding, ding, ding! A rare post of common sense on the MANE
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #145
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

Baltimore - Bmore
Dallas - NickStixx
Detroit - Florida Bronco
Indy - Mediator12
KC - Carmelo15
Miami - OBF1
New England - Eddie Mac
Tennessee - Mr. Peepers
Washington - thumpc

WHY THIS WORKS:

1. Everyone gets a top 4 choice, with the vast majority getting their 1st or 2nd choice team.

5. Nicksixx had Dallas last year, thus it made more sense to have him repeat as owner while Broncoman4ever takes his 2nd preference of an NFC East team, Philadelphia.

Final Tallies:

Owners getting second choice: (5 or 15%) Conklin, SoDak Bronco, Arkie, Broncoman4Ever, Mediator12.

Owners getting third choice: (3 or 10%) MUG, Shananahan, Philbacka.

Statistical Summary:

2. 85% (EIGHTY-FIVE PERCENT) of all owners have a team within their top 3 choices

3. 95% (NINETY-FIVE PERCENT) of all owners have a team within their top 4 choices.

4. If Thumpc doesn't mind Washington, than all the percentages above go up by 5% and 100% of the owners should be happy.
Dumping on the new guy. Isn't That what got Incognito in trouble?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #146
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Dumping on the new guy. Isn't That what got Incognito in trouble?
Hey coach told me he was giant p***Y and needed to be toughened up! Wait until I tell him I want to take a giant **** in his mouth as well as all the things I'm going to do to his sister.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #147
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Perhaps it would be easier just to let the guy who has run this draft for the past several years do so again this year, however he decides to do it?

No offense, MUG, but geez.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #148
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

Baltimore - Bmore
Dallas - NickStixx (3rd choice)
Detroit - Florida Bronco (1st choice)
Indy - Mediator12
KC - Carmelo15
Miami - OBF1
New England - Eddie Mac
Tennessee - Mr. Peepers (1st choice)
Washington - thumpc

WHY THIS WORKS:

1. Everyone gets a top 4 choice, with 85% getting their 1st or 2nd choice team.

5. Nickstixx had Dallas last year, thus it made more sense to have him repeat as owner while Broncoman4ever takes his 2nd preference of an NFC East team, Philadelphia.

Final Tallies:

Owners getting second choice: (6 or 15%) Conklin, SoDak Bronco, Arkie, Broncoman4Ever, Mediator12, Shananahan

Owners getting third choice: (3 or 10%) MUG, Philbacka, Nickstixx

Statistical Summary:

4. If Thumpc doesn't mind Washington, than some/all the percentages above go up by 5% and 100% of the owners should be happy.
You have too much time on your hands, but this is fantastic.
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #149
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Hey coach told me he was giant p***Y and needed to be toughened up! Wait until I tell him I want to take a giant **** in his mouth as well as all the things I'm going to do to his sister.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #150
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Perhaps it would be easier just to let the guy who has run this draft for the past several years do so again this year, however he decides to do it?

No offense, MUG, but geez.
No offense taken. My answer....

Depends.

If I can help them do it better or make it easier on them, why would anyone not want that assistance? I certainly would. I'm looking for peak efficiency and fairness as that's my personality. Regardless of whether they use it or not. The goal here is to make the greatest majority of people happy. And JCMElway, by default, always sacrifices what he prefers for other people. That's not always necessary.

I outlined what will likely be required to make the random guess assignment system work, and that's a lot of effort. And I guarantee the statistics won't be as positive and efficient as what I just did because it's based on randomness. Could I perhaps win SF or the Jets and get better selections? Sure. But at what cost to the overall game? If people start dropping out due to frustration because they get stuck with a team completely off their list due to unlucky guessing, that's obviously a flawed system and a detriment. I'd rather take my 3rd ranked team and have everyone mostly happy and excited. The worst thing we could do for a game intended to last 7 rounds plus free agency is risk having people disinterested enough through a lack of connection with their team that they drop out or stop selecting midway through. I'm still annoyed at the people that didn't do the Free Agent round last year, and the Seattle guy (socalorado) that never showed up to make his selections, ARGH!!!

But, in terms of project management, you never stop looking for improvements or listening to suggestions. I would think JCMElway and Bowlenball appreciate what I'm attempting to do very much. And if they go a different route and it proves more efficient and successful, then the only one out wasted time is me, but I'll be more than happy going with a better option. If it proves clearly less efficient, burdensome, and not nearly as successful and they still go that route, than... my head would probably explode in confusion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: