The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 AM   #1
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default All starts with the DEFENSE

It all starts with the defense.

Look at the super bowl winners

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Bowl_champions

Every single super bowl winner dating from x years back have had either an extremely physical defense or a defense that could force TOs, or both. Only exception is the Colts when Manning won it.

EDIT

My goodness, we put up the 2nd lowest point total in the super bowl in the last damn near 30 years.

I am definitely staying off sports channels.

Last edited by Action; 02-04-2014 at 02:33 AM..
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2014, 02:43 AM   #2
horsepower
Rookie

I think there was a few occasions were we gambled to win the game, could've kicked 3, then there was an onside kick etc, down by 22 we knew 3 's wen't gonna be any good, the pooch kick etc, even the soft coverage, was set up for our defense to hopefully get a strip that's why there was so many or so it looked missed tackles, we were going for the strip, we never played at any time in this game to get a respectful defeat
horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:45 AM   #3
horsepower
Rookie

in response to the lowest score, but your right about the defense, we lost to the giants who had a phenomenal D, LAWRENCE TAYLOR, the redskins and 49ers were both strong, and generally the nfc has always been better on defense than the afc...
horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:58 AM   #4
Ol#7
Not Too Shabby!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bucky Dilts

The problem with our Defense has existed for awhile. WE DONT GET TURNOVERS!!! Period.

Losing VonDoom really hurt this year. Phillips was a better than average stop gap, but we rarely crashed the pocket. We have no ballhawks in the secondary, mediocre LB's, the ONLY thing we do well on a consistent basis is stop the run.

WE KNEW we needed a MLB and Safety going into the year and got neither.

That said, we had a TON of Defense out by the SB. We need to get better, but we do have some pieces.
Ol#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:03 AM   #5
Action
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol#7 View Post
The problem with our Defense has existed for awhile. WE DONT GET TURNOVERS!!! Period.
Yup. Seattle led the league in TO's with 39 forced and +20 differential. Denver had 26 with a 0 differential (lol).

Looks like Broncos (along with some other teams) are going to start implementing Turnover Thursday to the weekly schedule.

The fumble that was caused on DT was directly a result of this type of mentality.
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:09 AM   #6
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

How many of our defensive starters were sidelined due to injury? Staying (relatively) healthy (if a team can do so) is generally the key to winning it all. So we don't have starting quality players available at 2nd and 3rd string. They still played at a high level and got us to the big dance.

Do we need better players? Absolutely. But we were snakebit by injuries and made lemonade out of the lemons fate gave us.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:19 AM   #7
Ol#7
Not Too Shabby!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bucky Dilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
How many of our defensive starters were sidelined due to injury? Staying (relatively) healthy (if a team can do so) is generally the key to winning it all. So we don't have starting quality players available at 2nd and 3rd string. They still played at a high level and got us to the big dance.

Do we need better players? Absolutely. But we were snakebit by injuries and made lemonade out of the lemons fate gave us.
Absolutely. When Von went down it should have spelled the end of our season, let alone losing Harris. But even then, we dont make plays on that side of the ball often enough with those guys.

We need Champ to take a pay cut and move to Safety. That would be a step in the right direction. Or go back in time and not have Earl Thomas playing for the other team thanks to a boneheaded trade...
Old 02-04-2014, 03:25 AM   #8
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Absolutely. When Von went down it should have spelled the end of our season, let alone losing Harris. But even then, we dont make plays on that side of the ball often enough with those guys.

We need Champ to take a pay cut and move to Safety. That would be a step in the right direction. Or go back in time and not have Earl Thomas playing for the other team thanks to a boneheaded trade...
Considering the number of injuries our team sustained -- and what positions they were -- it was absolutely amazing that we finished at #2 in the NFL. Losing Ryan Clady was potentially season-ending if Clark had not performed at a level far beyond all reasonable (non-homer) expectations.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:16 AM   #9
Desi
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Honestly, the defense as a group played better than the offense as a group. They kept the Broncos in it during that insane first quarter. Of all the points the Seahawks scored only 20 or so were really on the defense. The safety, the pick-six, and the return to open the second half were not the fault of the defense. And the interception that the Seahawks converted was not solely on the defense either. I am not saying that the defense played great, but they played well enough to win if the offense had come through.

I will add this. When the defense gets back all its injured players the improvement will be big. Unless Kuper's ankle has a miraculous recovery, I'm not sure if you will see that big jump in improvement with the offense, even with Clady.
Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #10
stoxman
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

Losing VonDoom really hurt this year. Phillips was a better than average stop gap, but we rarely crashed the pocket. We have no ballhawks in the secondary, mediocre LB's, the ONLY thing we do well on a consistent basis is stop the run.

WE KNEW we needed a MLB and Safety going into the year and got neither.

That said, we had a TON of Defense out by the SB. We need to get better, but we do have some pieces.
The rabid fan base (most of us) knew this but Elway and CO. thought we were gold with Irving and Stewart Freakin' Bradley.

Elway can make mistakes....let's just hope he learns from those like this last year and makes serious amends in this draft and FA period.
stoxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
Coldcity76
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
It all starts with the defense.

Look at the super bowl winners

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Bowl_champions

Every single super bowl winner dating from x years back have had either an extremely physical defense or a defense that could force TOs, or both. Only exception is the Colts when Manning won it.

EDIT

My goodness, we put up the 2nd lowest point total in the super bowl in the last damn near 30 years.

I am definitely staying off sports channels.
This is a farce. I see Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Eli Manning winning six super bowls last decade. And lets be honest, Big Ben was elite when he won his two super bowls despite have a top defense.

If you go back further you have Joe Montana, Troy Aikmen, John Elway, Steve Young to name a few of Elite QB winning a ton of super bowls. Offenses clearly win more than defenses you hardly see a Russel or Hostetler.

You really need both. But an average defense is more than enough for an elite QB. We just happen to have a very poor coach that did not prepare our team and they playd their worst game of the year when it mattered.

Last edited by Coldcity76; 02-04-2014 at 06:45 AM..
Coldcity76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:44 AM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Good thing all our money is on O... and soon to be even more of it.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #13
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Hopefully elway drafts more high round running backs this year.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #14
Ol#7
Not Too Shabby!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bucky Dilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
You know what Rev, if we could hit the reset button on that game, I am positive you could play it 100 times and never get that result. It was a complete crapping of the bed, which I lay a the feet of the coaches. In my mind, that means we have the talent to win that game.

That said, GM Elway has screwed the pooch a few times already in the draft. We could have used a playmaker like Lacy or Lavonte David or hell, Russel Wilson as the heir apparant instead of Brosweiler. And before anyone says hindsite is 20/20, these were all moves people on this board were BEGGING for on draft day. (maybe not wilson, as blowing a 2nd rounder on a QB when you just signed PFM was a foolish thing to do).

I will never understand why we didnt use our cap space to go get Dansby. Elway has been pretty good in FA, but our drafts have produced very mixed results.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #15
Desi
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
That said, GM Elway has screwed the pooch a few times already in the draft. We could have used a playmaker like Lacy or Lavonte David or hell, Russel Wilson as the heir apparant instead of Brosweiler. And before anyone says hindsite is 20/20, these were all moves people on this board were BEGGING for on draft day. (maybe not wilson, as blowing a 2nd rounder on a QB when you just signed PFM was a foolish thing to do).

I will never understand why we didnt use our cap space to go get Dansby. Elway has been pretty good in FA, but our drafts have produced very mixed results.
How much was Brian Xanders involved in draft decisions when he was with the Broncos? Because he absolutely hit it out of the park with the Lions in the last draft, AND with the undrafted guys they picked up.
Desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #16
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

I agree it starts with defense but when you have 5 starters (Von, Wolfe, Vickerson, Harris, and Moore) out it's hard to blame them. However, we do need another impact guy in the back end like Whitner to bring the pain and cover. Also, a big time MLB wouldn't hurt either.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #17
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I agree it starts with defense but when you have 5 starters (Von, Wolfe, Vickerson, Harris, and Moore) out it's hard to blame them. However, we do need another impact guy in the back end like Whitner to bring the pain and cover. Also, a big time MLB wouldn't hurt either.
This is exactly how I feel. We need more depth so that players like Tony Carter and Adams, Ayers, Unrein, etc arent counted on so heavily.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote