The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
Kevin8Nine
Kevin Ate Nine

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Great Interview: "Manning on Manning"

The MMQB: What other positions have you played over the years?

MANNING: I’m sometimes kind of embarrassed by this. I’ve never played, on the field, any other position besides quarterback. Never been on a special team. Never been on defense.

The MMQB: Maybe in your last NFL game, you should play another position—just for one snap. Peyton Manning at safety?

MANNING: I always say, ‘I’d like to go play safety.’ I mean, I would know what the quarterback is doing. The Ed Reed range though … I just don’t quite have it.

The MMQB: Absolute gut feeling—how many more years will you play?

MANNING: If you had asked me when I first came here to Denver, I probably would have said if I could get two more years then that would probably be good. But I feel a lot better than I thought I would. The regeneration [of the nerve controlling his arm strength] has been slow but steady—kind of like they said. There’s never been that one day or month where there was this huge regeneration and complete increase in weights. It’s just been a slow progression. My strength coach, Luke Richessen, has kept a chart since the day I got here in March 2012. You can see it. I can see the numbers and I can feel it as well, by the weights that I’m doing. I think it’s progressed to the field with some throws and some velocity. So that’s been encouraging. I’ve always said that I’m only gonna do it A) if I can help—if I can truly help—and B) if I still enjoy, not the playing—anybody enjoys playing—but enjoy the preparation and the work part of it. Right now I’m still enjoying those things. I’ve heard Drew Brees and Tom Brady say that they have this target, like, ‘I’m gonna play until I’m 45.’ I’m not in that position, I think because of my neck injury. But I think the smart way to handle it is, every March, I do this physical and we take a look at it. It’s the perfect time, because it says, ‘Hey, everything looks good.’ And it also kind of allows me to go, Do I still wanna go through a lifting, offseason schedule again? I do my neck check, but I do my heart check as well, my desire check. I like it when my heart says, ‘Hey, let’s keep this going.’ I’ve been encouraged.

The MMQB: Say you had every rookie quarterback in the league sitting in front of you right now, and you could give them a message to try to help them as they begin their careers. What would it be?

MANNING: I think about the advice that I got when I was a rookie and what really stuck with me. There’s a couple of things. Steve Young—we played the 49ers that year out in San Francisco. He came up to me after the game and kind of put his arm around me and it’s funny because he said, ‘Peyton, just trust me. The game will eventually slow down for you. It will slow down.’ It’s funny, because it was kind of this weight off my shoulders. I had been thinking, It’s just not the same as college. It’s so different. Of course, I was like, Please hurry up and slow down. Please hurry up and slow down. But boy, he was right. Even toward the end of that season, I started to see some things a lot slower. Then the next season, we went from 3-13 to 13-3. Each game in Years 2 and 3, it was just what Steve said. It did slow down. So just trusting the process—it is a marathon and not a sprint.

If I could give them a couple pieces of advice, I would start with this: ‘Don’t ever go to a meeting to watch a practice or a game without having already watched it by yourself.’ That’s one thing that I have always done. When the coach is controlling the remote control, he’s gonna rewind when he wants to rewind. He’s gonna skip certain plays. He’s not watching every single detail. When you can control the rewind button, you can go in there and you watch—first, you better watch your mechanics. Watch what you’re doing. Is your drop good? How’s your throw? OK, now rewind it again. Now you better watch your receivers. OK, looks like Demaryius Thomas ran a good route here. Not sure what Julius Thomas was doing here. (lol) Then you better rewind it again and watch what the defense is doing. So, there’s time in that deal. You have to know what they were doing so you can help them. So that has helped me. When I go in and watch it with the coach, I’m watching it for the third, fourth, fifth time. That’s when you start learning.

The other thing I would tell them: ‘To ever watch film without a pen and paper in your hand is a complete waste of time.’ You do it that way, you’re only watching it, as I call it, to please the coach. If you’re in the QB room and you leave the door open so they can see you in there, don’t. Shut the door. You ought to have the door shut. Whether they know you’re in there or not, they’re gonna know by the way you play out on the field. Don’t go showing off.

So those are some things that I have been doing for a long time that have helped me, and I’m still doing them today from a preparation standpoint. But I pull for quarterbacks. I do. These young guys that are playing—I still like the ones that get to play early. I still think that’s the best way to learn. I still hold that rookie record for interceptions. I’m not gonna lie—I pull for these rookies every year to break it. (lol) Now you have to be a 16-game starter, so I don’t like these guys who start like 10 or 12 games, because they don’t have enough opportunities. So, I’m not gonna lie, as much as I’m pulling for them to be successful, I do not like holding that record. So, whoever wants to start their rookie quarterback 16 times and throw it a lot this year, I’m all for it.

Playing early: I still think it’s the best way to learn.

Full Article
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/18/peyton...cos-unplugged/

Last edited by Kevin8Nine; 09-19-2014 at 11:45 AM..
Kevin8Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Maleficent
Dame Jolie

Moors

Good stuff. Thanks! Peyton likes to talk. Lol His interviews are always lengthy.
Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

"Not sure what Julius Thomas was doing here."
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent View Post
Good stuff. Thanks! Peyton likes to talk. Lol His interviews are always lengthy.
The best part when he says I like it when my heart says hey lets keep doing this.. It makes my heart go pitter patter...
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Good stuff, we are so lucky to have Peyton as our QB and team leader! Wish he could play for us 10 more years.

Am typing this on my new IPhone 6 Plus - 128GB I picked up this morning in Flagstaff after waiting in line for a while.. Got the last of only 7 Plus models they had at the local Verizon Wireless store.

Killer screen and camera, makes watching video and web stuff so much nicer than the 5S.
Worth the wait for those thinking about it, and it's really not hard to adapt to the size.

Fits well in my hands for a 6 foot dude.

Go Broncos!
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

That was a great read.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
delany
Uber Bronco

My God. If he would play until he was 45.....
delany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Thanks for a good read.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Good stuff, we are so lucky to have Peyton as our QB and team leader! Wish he could play for us 10 more years.

Am typing this on my new IPhone 6 Plus - 128GB I picked up this morning in Flagstaff after waiting in line for a while.. Got the last of only 7 Plus models they had at the local Verizon Wireless store.

Killer screen and camera, makes watching video and web stuff so much nicer than the 5S.
Worth the wait for those thinking about it, and it's really not hard to adapt to the size.

Fits well in my hands for a 6 foot dude.

Go Broncos!
Hope you like all the features it has that I've been using on my phone for 2+ years
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

How could you not love this guy... Take his perpetration and professionalism and combine it with Elways raw talent and you would have the ultimate cyber QB to defeat th aliens when they invade.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8Nine View Post

The MMQB: What other positions have you played over the years?

MANNING: I’m sometimes kind of embarrassed by this. I’ve never played, on the field, any other position besides quarterback. Never been on a special team. Never been on defense.

The MMQB: Maybe in your last NFL game, you should play another position—just for one snap. Peyton Manning at safety?

MANNING: I always say, ‘I’d like to go play safety.’ I mean, I would know what the quarterback is doing. The Ed Reed range though … I just don’t quite have it.

The MMQB: Absolute gut feeling—how many more years will you play?

MANNING: If you had asked me when I first came here to Denver, I probably would have said if I could get two more years then that would probably be good. But I feel a lot better than I thought I would. The regeneration [of the nerve controlling his arm strength] has been slow but steady—kind of like they said. There’s never been that one day or month where there was this huge regeneration and complete increase in weights. It’s just been a slow progression. My strength coach, Luke Richessen, has kept a chart since the day I got here in March 2012. You can see it. I can see the numbers and I can feel it as well, by the weights that I’m doing. I think it’s progressed to the field with some throws and some velocity. So that’s been encouraging. I’ve always said that I’m only gonna do it A) if I can help—if I can truly help—and B) if I still enjoy, not the playing—anybody enjoys playing—but enjoy the preparation and the work part of it. Right now I’m still enjoying those things. I’ve heard Drew Brees and Tom Brady say that they have this target, like, ‘I’m gonna play until I’m 45.’ I’m not in that position, I think because of my neck injury. But I think the smart way to handle it is, every March, I do this physical and we take a look at it. It’s the perfect time, because it says, ‘Hey, everything looks good.’ And it also kind of allows me to go, Do I still wanna go through a lifting, offseason schedule again? I do my neck check, but I do my heart check as well, my desire check. I like it when my heart says, ‘Hey, let’s keep this going.’ I’ve been encouraged.

The MMQB: Say you had every rookie quarterback in the league sitting in front of you right now, and you could give them a message to try to help them as they begin their careers. What would it be?

MANNING: I think about the advice that I got when I was a rookie and what really stuck with me. There’s a couple of things. Steve Young—we played the 49ers that year out in San Francisco. He came up to me after the game and kind of put his arm around me and it’s funny because he said, ‘Peyton, just trust me. The game will eventually slow down for you. It will slow down.’ It’s funny, because it was kind of this weight off my shoulders. I had been thinking, It’s just not the same as college. It’s so different. Of course, I was like, Please hurry up and slow down. Please hurry up and slow down. But boy, he was right. Even toward the end of that season, I started to see some things a lot slower. Then the next season, we went from 3-13 to 13-3. Each game in Years 2 and 3, it was just what Steve said. It did slow down. So just trusting the process—it is a marathon and not a sprint.

If I could give them a couple pieces of advice, I would start with this: ‘Don’t ever go to a meeting to watch a practice or a game without having already watched it by yourself.’ That’s one thing that I have always done. When the coach is controlling the remote control, he’s gonna rewind when he wants to rewind. He’s gonna skip certain plays. He’s not watching every single detail. When you can control the rewind button, you can go in there and you watch—first, you better watch your mechanics. Watch what you’re doing. Is your drop good? How’s your throw? OK, now rewind it again. Now you better watch your receivers. OK, looks like Demaryius Thomas ran a good route here. Not sure what Julius Thomas was doing here. (lol) Then you better rewind it again and watch what the defense is doing. So, there’s time in that deal. You have to know what they were doing so you can help them. So that has helped me. When I go in and watch it with the coach, I’m watching it for the third, fourth, fifth time. That’s when you start learning.

The other thing I would tell them: ‘To ever watch film without a pen and paper in your hand is a complete waste of time.’ You do it that way, you’re only watching it, as I call it, to please the coach. If you’re in the QB room and you leave the door open so they can see you in there, don’t. Shut the door. You ought to have the door shut. Whether they know you’re in there or not, they’re gonna know by the way you play out on the field. Don’t go showing off.

So those are some things that I have been doing for a long time that have helped me, and I’m still doing them today from a preparation standpoint. But I pull for quarterbacks. I do. These young guys that are playing—I still like the ones that get to play early. I still think that’s the best way to learn. I still hold that rookie record for interceptions. I’m not gonna lie—I pull for these rookies every year to break it. (lol) Now you have to be a 16-game starter, so I don’t like these guys who start like 10 or 12 games, because they don’t have enough opportunities. So, I’m not gonna lie, as much as I’m pulling for them to be successful, I do not like holding that record. So, whoever wants to start their rookie quarterback 16 times and throw it a lot this year, I’m all for it.

Playing early: I still think it’s the best way to learn.

Full Article
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/18/peyton...cos-unplugged/
Peyton Hates Julius Thomas!
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
extralife
Ring of Famer

the best part is where he called Cooper a "social legend" at Ole Miss.

like, does this mean Cooper holds some Ole Miss record for sorority girls banged? did he get caught with the dean's wife?

the world needs to know these things
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote