The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
SVine
Solid Starter
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Why John Fox stunk

Obviously, we can point to the lack of preparation and poor gameplan, but as someone who totally despises Fox, I admit that Fox supporters can always rely on the argument that its the players that stunk and Fox isn't the one who snapped the ball over Peyton's head, etc, etc, etc.

However, I can point to some game decisions and his demeanor that made him stunk. 3 in the 1st half alone:

1)Fox prematurely throwing the red flag to challenge a swing pass that looked like it may have been a lateral. I was frustrated with how Seattle had lined up so quickly that the tv production didn't have time to show a replay. But DON'T throw a red flag. Instead, CALL A TIMEOUT, to stop the action, which then gives the tv production a chance to show a replay. Then they would have clearly seen it was a forward pass, and they lose a timeout because they willingly use it, instead of losing a challenge and a timeout for using a challenge. Fox doesn't have a brain the to think like this though.

2)Late in the 1st half, Manning pass over the deep middle to Julius Thomas that was OBVIOUSLY pass interference. The Seattle defender was coming across the opposite way and RAN INTO Thomas! This was about as blatant PI as I had ever seen one. What does Fox do? NOTHING. A coach with real fire would be screaming in the officials faces demanding an explanation for their incompetence. This would also fire up the players if they know they have a coach who is willing to let out some fire of his own. Instead, John Fox is SOFT, and you get a soft coach, you get a soft team.

3)Seattle was content on running the clock out at the end of the 1st half. 3rd and 5 with 30 seconds left, Denver has 2 timeouts, USE ONE OF THEM, to try to force Seattle to punt. But no, Fox takes 2 timeouts into the half while down by 22. Just absolutely stupid.
SVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,022

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Not a single person was ready for that game. It's hard to go high enough on the chain of command there to find someone that should lay the wood to everyone below them.

Something has to change though somewhere. This was worst-case scenario for this team to be honest, worse than if we had lost to Baltimore again this year like last year.

I hate saying this about my beloved Broncos, but they had no business on that field yesterday. And we will get an entire off-season hearing about it.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
Coldcity76
Solid Starter
 
Coldcity76's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Posts: 180

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

If we can single out a player or two then its player execution. But it was a collective failure of execution and you get that when you get blown out. And when you get blown out the coach is at fault.
Coldcity76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
orangenblue
Ring of Famer
 
orangenblue's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVine View Post
Obviously, we can point to the lack of preparation and poor gameplan, but as someone who totally despises Fox, I admit that Fox supporters can always rely on the argument that its the players that stunk and Fox isn't the one who snapped the ball over Peyton's head, etc, etc, etc.

However, I can point to some game decisions and his demeanor that made him stunk. 3 in the 1st half alone:

1)Fox prematurely throwing the red flag to challenge a swing pass that looked like it may have been a lateral. I was frustrated with how Seattle had lined up so quickly that the tv production didn't have time to show a replay. But DON'T throw a red flag. Instead, CALL A TIMEOUT, to stop the action, which then gives the tv production a chance to show a replay. Then they would have clearly seen it was a forward pass, and they lose a timeout because they willingly use it, instead of losing a challenge and a timeout for using a challenge. Fox doesn't have a brain the to think like this though.

2)Late in the 1st half, Manning pass over the deep middle to Julius Thomas that was OBVIOUSLY pass interference. The Seattle defender was coming across the opposite way and RAN INTO Thomas! This was about as blatant PI as I had ever seen one. What does Fox do? NOTHING. A coach with real fire would be screaming in the officials faces demanding an explanation for their incompetence. This would also fire up the players if they know they have a coach who is willing to let out some fire of his own. Instead, John Fox is SOFT, and you get a soft coach, you get a soft team.

3)Seattle was content on running the clock out at the end of the 1st half. 3rd and 5 with 30 seconds left, Denver has 2 timeouts, USE ONE OF THEM, to try to force Seattle to punt. But no, Fox takes 2 timeouts into the half while down by 22. Just absolutely stupid.
All true, but FOX doesn't play on the offensive line which got manhandled last night. Nothing could have remedied that last night.
orangenblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
SVine
Solid Starter
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 144

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
If we can single out a player or two then its player execution. But it was a collective failure of execution and you get that when you get blown out. And when you get blown out the coach is at fault.
This
SVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
PRBronco
_never forget_
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,239

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default

Considering Fox finally went for it on a 4th and short in the red zone, after I've been yelling at him for years to do it, I have a hard time ragging on him. Unless he was the jackass who thought we should start in the game inside our own 15 in the shotgun.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #7
vanbrugh
Solid Starter
 
vanbrugh's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 184

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I blame being on a boat all week.

All aboard the SS Titanic.
This one really hurts.
vanbrugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #8
enjolras
Ring of Famer
 
enjolras's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,582
Default

I just want someone to explain to me what the **** was going on with the second half kickoff. Was there some kind of plan?
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,022

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Considering Fox finally went for it on a 4th and short in the red zone, after I've been yelling at him for years to do it, I have a hard time ragging on him. Unless he was the jackass who thought we should start in the game inside our own 15 in the shotgun.
I am not giving any coach any props for going for it on 4th when their team is being butt ****ed.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #10
Clark
Just Drafted
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
If we can single out a player or two then its player execution. But it was a collective failure of execution and you get that when you get blown out. And when you get blown out the coach is at fault.
That nails it
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
go_broncos
Ring of Famer
 
49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 5,677

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

Fox team makes way too many mental mistakes.so..if he gets fired, i am fine.
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #12
colonelbeef
Lets be friend
 
colonelbeef's Avatar
 
Elway is the new Jerry West

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,883

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

http://i.imgur.com/jdq3asn.gif
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 
Get off my lawn, you kids!

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVine View Post
1)Fox prematurely throwing the red flag to challenge a swing pass that looked like it may have been a lateral. I was frustrated with how Seattle had lined up so quickly that the tv production didn't have time to show a replay. But DON'T throw a red flag. Instead, CALL A TIMEOUT, to stop the action, which then gives the tv production a chance to show a replay. Then they would have clearly seen it was a forward pass, and they lose a timeout because they willingly use it, instead of losing a challenge and a timeout for using a challenge. Fox doesn't have a brain the to think like this though.
I guess that makes more sense. I thought he was trying to say that it was really a catch and a fumble. Everyone could see that it was incomplete. Anyway, Fox AND Carroll threw out early challenge flags for silly reasons...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler
 
Armchair Bronco's Avatar
 
Call me "Old School"

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 600

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I just want someone to explain to me what the **** was going on with the second half kickoff. Was there some kind of plan?
Totally didn't understand this "move", either.

Why give Harvin a short field to work with? Why not let Prater kick the crap out of the ball? Or at least force Harvin to run 109 yards instead of 85 yards?

Face it: Fox isn't even a competent "game manager", let alone an aggressive coach with a killer instinct. He's an Old School grump who came to Denver on the heels of a 2-14 record. 2-14 records don't happen by accident.


Out
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer
 
Wes Mantooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Considering Fox finally went for it on a 4th and short in the red zone, after I've been yelling at him for years to do it, I have a hard time ragging on him. Unless he was the jackass who thought we should start in the game inside our own 15 in the shotgun.
They should have kicked 3 in that scenario.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director
 
wolf754life's Avatar
 
Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,052

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious
Default

why do they want to extend him, no thanks
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
AtlantaBronco
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I just want someone to explain to me what the **** was going on with the second half kickoff. Was there some kind of plan?
Prater should have been instructed to kick it out of the back of the end zone. If he wasn't capable of doing that then I would have rather them kicked the ball out of bounds and let the defense play than pooch it to Harvin. That return completely put the game out of reach.
AtlantaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #18
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 7,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Totally didn't understand this "move", either.

Why give Harvin a short field to work with? Why not let Prater kick the crap out of the ball? Or at least force Harvin to run 109 yards instead of 85 yards?

Face it: Fox isn't even a competent "game manager", let alone an aggressive coach with a killer instinct. He's an Old School grump who came to Denver on the heels of a 2-14 record. 2-14 records don't happen by accident.


Out
Yep and as soon as the ball bounced I go oh crap there he goes. ugh
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #19
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue
 
Drunken.Broncoholic2's Avatar
 
OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmel, Ca
Posts: 5,055

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I see this next season as Fox's last. Manning won't play after 2014. If they win the SB next year, how could we see Fox not retire? And if they fall short again, that would be 3 straight years of not winning it with the best QB in the league. Not exactly a welcoming back in 2015 look there.

This teams gonna change after next year.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #20
nyuk nyuk
Good kid
 
nyuk nyuk's Avatar
 
In the hizzouse

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Downtown El Stinko
Posts: 444

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!
Default

I'm not so sure that was John Fox.

nyuk nyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #21
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,627
Default

A must read on Fox...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ox-to-be-fired
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #22
nyuk nyuk
Good kid
 
nyuk nyuk's Avatar
 
In the hizzouse

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Downtown El Stinko
Posts: 444

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
If we can single out a player or two then its player execution. But it was a collective failure of execution and you get that when you get blown out. And when you get blown out the coach is at fault.
BINGO... Nice to see Coach Fox has brought back the Coach Reeves "Super Blowout" approach to championship games.

This is a coaching issue as well... Something, somewhere, needs to change.
nyuk nyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #23
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,891

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Maybe Fox got so used to Manning coaching the offense that he just forgot that he had a job too?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #24
KipCorrington25
Free Safety
 
KipCorrington25's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Centennial
Posts: 3,535
Default

He's too nice a guy, he'd rather be friends with everyone than kick some ass.

But if he goes into insurance sales I'd buy from him.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #25
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man
 
cooking up a victory

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in the kitchen
Posts: 2,380
Default

Our O became PREDICTABLE.
is that the fault of FOX ?
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Denver Broncos