The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #126
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
It's not just about personnel. The style of defense you're seeing Seattle and San Francisco roll out is the future of the game. These coaches are the past. Pete Carroll just won a superbowl by taking advantage of a league full old school coaches who don't have the guts to run high risk/high reward schemes.

The NFL is finally catching up with college football. There is a reason that Jim Harbaugh, Chip Kelly, and Pete Carroll are having so much success. They are bringing that aggressive college mindset to the NFL.

Sticking with Fox and Del Rio (certainly Del Rio) is a recipe for certain failure. You just can't play that style of defense and compete at the top of the league.
Can we pry David Shaw loose from Stanford?

Elway has some strings out there.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #127
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Carrolls deal isn't really his high risk system. It's his ability to relate and motivate his players. He makes them believe they are invincible and it showed last night.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #128
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Can we pry David Shaw loose from Stanford?

Elway has some strings out there.
I like the thought.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #129
Breaker
Bleeding Orange and Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I agree with most of this except I would go FS in the first or Whitner and/or Jarious Byrd as a FA. And I would take a MLB in the second because it always seem to be a second round MLB that is a stud.
I also love living in a world with unlimited money and no salary cap ...... o wait that doesn't exist
Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #130
extralife
Ring of Famer

the team isn't going to get any better. there is no magic pill out there for us. next year we will have the same team minus a few guys, plus a few players worse than the ones we lost, and our draft picks. that's it. this is who we are, so we either get it done with this group or we don't. preferably with a new coach.

Last edited by extralife; 02-03-2014 at 04:50 PM..
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #131
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
And with all due respect, I'm surprised you're taking this slapdown so lightly. Our biggest injury problem was on defense. It wasn't the D that caved in this one (until the offense had already sunk them beyond hope with TOs). It was "The Greatest Offense in NFL History" that blew this one.

If this team doesn't change some fundamentals, does it stand up any better to the Seahawks, Niners, Carolina or the Cardinals next year? I'm not trying to be combative here, but 43 - 8 is a pretty convincing way of saying that something is fundamentally wrong. Not to mention, Peyton has made it to a lot of playoff games, but he also has the worst record of any QB in playoff history. Like TJ said, teams usually stumble off into the wilderness for a few years after an ass kicking of this magnitude.
I'm not but I am objective and to be truthful I thought we'd lose the game anyway but would never say that on here. We are a finesse team especially on offense and it was/is a terrible match-up with their defense to begin with. The only way we were ever gonna win that game was to get a big lead and try to hold it. The first offensive snap of the game laid out what was to come unfortunately. I just think we played really scared especially on offense. I dunno how we'll come back from that but with Elway there I'm sure that we will and we'll do it with the nucleus of this team.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #132
spiralism
Pro Bowler

Fox MUST go

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon

I think the first move we have to make to move forward in the coming years is to get rid of Fox and JDR. They have no place on a championship team and the team was so badly prepared yesterday that Fox should be fired for failing to do his job.
spiralism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #133
stoxman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
the team isn't going to get any better. there is no magic pill out there for us. next year we will have the same team minus a few guys, plus a few players worse than the ones we lost, and our draft picks. that's it. this is who we are, so we either get it done with this group or we don't. preferably with a new coach.
Disagree with Debbie Downer here. Champ, Dreesen and Tamme are sitting on 17 million dollars of cap alone. I would also politely ask Peyton how serious he is about winning a SuperBowl and see if he would do what John did (to bring in Neil Smith et al). We will have some room to get a key player like Byrd if we want it (I WANT IT!).
stoxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #134
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxman View Post
Disagree with Debbie Downer here. Champ, Dreesen and Tamme are sitting on 17 million dollars of cap alone. I would also politely ask Peyton how serious he is about winning a SuperBowl and see if he would do what John did (to bring in Neil Smith et al). We will have some room to get a key player like Byrd if we want it (I WANT IT!).
ok, great. you cut Tamme and Dreesen and bring Champ back for two million. good start.

Then you have to give DT ten million a year.

ok, so kuper is gone. not bad.

then you have to pay decker and/or Moreno.

then woodyard walks. then shaun phillips gets 3-5 million or he walks.

then DRC gets 8-10 million a year or he walks

Last edited by extralife; 02-03-2014 at 06:18 PM..
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #135
stoxman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I, personally wouldn't bring Champ back. He flopped again last night. I just think he is done. Gimme that $2M back and I will put it elsewhere. :-)

I believe Shaun and DRC have both stated they want to be back in DENVER so maybe whatever we do will be cap friendly.

Get Manning to chip in say $5 million against the cap in savings and we are in business. We will lose good players. We will also lose ****ty players like Tony Carter, Omar Bolden, Quinton ToeJam etc..
stoxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #136
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I agree with most of this except I would go FS in the first or Whitner and/or Jarious Byrd as a FA. And I would take a MLB in the second because it always seem to be a second round MLB that is a stud.
I would love to see them get Byrd but wonder if we can afford to pay him what he would command.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #137
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxman View Post
I would keep Tamme, Dreesen can go we don't need that kind of pass catching depth at TE, we could use a pure Blocking TE or even a hybrid Blocking FB/H-back like the kid Belly tried to replace Gronk with.

I also agree that if Manning wants to really win a SB he cannot keep hamstringing his teams with his huge cap number. I know that is the going rate on QB's these days but he is making money in other area's hand over fist.

No shame in increasing some guarenteed money and taking less overall if your trying to really win a SB. It is apparent he is not going to win a SB in the next 2 years on his own. Not if he has to face teams like San Fran, SeaThugs in the SB.

Edit- BTW Both Tamme and Dreessen are $3 Mill cap hits but Dreessen is 600k dead money and Tamme is $500k. Keep Tamme, cut Dreessen

Last edited by broncosteven; 02-03-2014 at 07:25 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #138
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
... But as far as blame game goes, the Defense comes in a distant third.
Agree with everything you said. I expected more from the O, our bread and butter, and we didn't get it. My point was that, personally, I was mostly excusing the defense. The facts presented suggest they don't deserve to be excused. They really couldn't stop Seattle.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #139
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
Carrolls deal isn't really his high risk system. It's his ability to relate and motivate his players. He makes them believe they are invincible and it showed last night.
The fact that 4 of his young stars were all busted with PED's early in their careers helps.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #140
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Clearly the Broncos are lacking at safety. They have not had a safety that impacts a game in years. A MLB is also a trouble spot, plus with Harris being hurt, CB is a spot to look at too since hard to know where he'll be in terms of health next season. Not to mention Champ looking very old and getting beat by nobody WR's too often anymore. I'll add another DE since bringing back Ayers would be a waste of time. He's never going to be much of a player.

I also think moving Franklin to guard should be an option. Plus, I think Decker will be gone, so another WR will be needed.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote