The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #26
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

What would the little game be?
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #27
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I wonder whether Temple University plans to sue Colbert.

One more example: Remember the first time the Seahawks went to the Super Bowl? The refs screwed 'em over good. But they weren't the first to screw them over. The week before the "Big Game," Texas A&M University sued the Seahawks and the City of Seattle for copyright infringement over their use of the phrase "The 12th Man." No, really. They did. Even got a restraining order against the use of it until the case settled:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2437992
my assumption is that Seattle would want to go out in front of the LGBTA movement and call it the 12th person.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #28
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #29
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I haven't heard a single person call it "The Big Game" rather than the Super Bowl. Not one.
Live under a rock?!?

Even Vegas is calling it that in all their promotions:

http://www.vegas.com/superbowl/
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #30
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

My 6 year old refers to it as the "Superbowl" because that's all he's heard from me.

Parenting. I has it.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #31
goldengopher1976
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Interesting observation - at least I think it's interesting.

So kids today don't call it the Superbowl. At least not the kids around my life. They call it "The Big Game." They hear it on the radio because apparently nobody is allowed to say "Superbowl" for risk of being sued. So now a whole generation is growing up thinking of the event as being called "The Big Game," and the fact that it's "The Superbowl" is more like a neat side note to them.

I've heard my son say the words "The Big Game" about two dozen times in the last week. He's said the word Superbowl exactly twice, and both times after I had said it myself. He says his friends at school call it "The Big Game" as well.
My church wanted to host a Superbowl party, but we had to call it "The Big Game Party" since it was going to be on a sign outside our church. Even more, of course, there was that short-lived crusade the NFL had against big groups watching the game together, which especially seemed to punish big church gatherings. We only did the Party for 2 years before deeming the risks of the NFL coming after us not worth the rewards. No Fun League indeed.
goldengopher1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:59 AM   #32
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

This struggling non-profit agency called the NFL has to make money, somewhere. You heartless bastard!
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #33
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Live under a rock?!?

Even Vegas is calling it that in all their promotions:

http://www.vegas.com/superbowl/
In their promotions. The premise of this thread is because the NFL won't allow advertisers to use the term "Super Bowl" in marketing without a licensing agreement, a generation of children and regular people now think of the game as "The Big Game" instead of the "The Super Bowl". I personally haven't heard any indication of that from real people in every day conversations, and this is a subject you can talk to everyone in town about at the moment.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #34
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

This only affects advertisement related activity, it doesn't affect radio, tv shows, or websites that talk about sports, etc.

Also, people are really just playing it safe, I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL loses the court battle if it ever came down to it on this matter. You can't sue someone for mentioning the Superbowl in every instance, even if its an ad or promotion. Even borderline stuff like "Pizzahut, the better choice for enjoyment on Superbowl Sunday." Even that, I mean that would be arguable.

Last edited by Willynowei; 01-31-2014 at 11:30 AM..
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #35
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

http://deadspin.com/the-big-game-an-...ank-1512726537

Quote:
"The Big Game" An Unnecessary Super Bowl Synonym, Thanks To The NFL

The Super Bowl doesn't need a nickname. It's the ****ing Super Bowl. Alas, as an ever-litigious NFL cracks down on businesses that use those trademarked words in advertising without paying King Goodell an appropriate amount of gold, "The Big Game" has become a go-to for industries that aren't official league sponsors—alongside a wink and a nod. (It originated as 'The big game on Sunday.') Advertising's encroachment into media coverage probably made the above video an inevitability, but that's just a sample of times on-air talent referred to the Super Bowl as "The Big Game" over a 20-minute period Thursday afternoon. In all, TV people said "The Big Game" on TV more than 3,000 times yesterday alone.

This isn't exactly a crisis, but it's an example of how our reality (which only exists through the words we have to describe it) is shaped and altered by the advertising that surrounds us. Try listening to a sports-talk station where the host can refer to the Super Bowl by its actual name one minute but then by "The Big Game" when reading an ad the next. But who owns "The Big Game," anyway? Shouldn't the NFL try to trademark that?

Oh, wait. They did try to trademark it! Alas, it turns out somebody else already once owned the trademark to "The Big Game," according to the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office:

XFL, LLC CORPORATION DELAWARE 1241 E. Main Street Stamford CONNECTICUT 06902
Yes, when you call the Super Bowl something like "The Big Game," you're making an XFL reference. Commence He Hate Me comments.
The video at the link is kind of amusing.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 AM   #36
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
What would the little game be?
Bud Bowl
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #37
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyWrenches View Post
Up until we won the AFCCG I would say 'the big show' because I didn't want to jinx it.

Then we won and I started screaming 'SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!"
You owe me $850 for every time you uttered that word.

Sincerely,

R. Goodell
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #38
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

The Super Bowl hosting town is getting snubbed too.

Blocked party: NFL bars host town from using 'Super Bowl' name

Quote:
The sports world is converging on East Rutherford (pop. 8,978) for Sunday's game between the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks, and all the town wanted to do was have a little block party for locals not rich or lucky enough to have tickets.

The NFL can't stop the party, but they did bar East Rutherford from using the phrase "Super Bowl" in any description of the humble event, set to take place Sunday afternoon in the shadow of the town's most famous building, MetLife Stadium.
Quote:
So Sunday's event, at which main drag Park Avenue will be blocked off, live bands will play and local restaurants will serve up food and drink in the open air, will be dubbed “The Meadowlands Tailgate Party Live from East Rutherford.” The town's website trumpets a "Game Day Tailgate."

As long as they don't dare utter "Super Bowl" in conjunction with the event, or use any logos associated with the NFL or the game, they won't get a visit from high-powered lawyers sent from NFL headquarters on Manhattan's Park Avenue.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #39
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I haven't heard a single person call it "The Big Game" rather than the Super Bowl. Not one.
you live in a lawless land of social misfits.
Tucson ?
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #40
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I mean, I've heard 'The Big Game' a couple times, but nowhere enough to make me think it's replacing anything. Everybody keeps asking me, "What are you doing for the Super Bowl?"

I can't relate to this thread at all.
I'm talking about kids here, not adults. We grown up with the word "superbowl." Just this morning in the car, the disc jockeys were referring to "The Big Game" this weekend, never once calling it the Superbowl.

Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of kids who call it the Superbowl - that's not the point. There are plenty of others who aren't as indoctrinated to the word "superbowl" and are being branded to the words "The Big Game."

I'm a marketing geek, so this kind of stuff is interesting to me.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #41
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I think this is a parenting lapse.
Probably. My kid is just hitting the age where he's taking an active interest in actually watching the sport, not just wrestling and harassing me while I watch the game.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #42
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:

Can't say "Final Four" or "March Madness" either ... but this stuff goes beyond sports: the State of Kentucky has a trademark on the word 'Kentucky,' which is why Kentucky Fried Chicken changed its name to KFC. True story.
Everyone:"I thought they changed to KFC was because saying FRIED meant it was not healthy food."

Nope.
Good story on snopes not just KFC :http://www.snopes.com/lost/kfc.asp

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 01-31-2014 at 11:30 AM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #43
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Wonder when the XFL will start suing all those disc jockeys and East Rutherford bars?
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #44
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

John, no offense- but this is not a very interesting observation
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #45
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
http://deadspin.com/the-big-game-an-...ank-1512726537

The video at the link is kind of amusing.
Wow, the NFL tried to trademark "The Big Game"? What a bunch of douche bags.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #46
Meck77

Reminds me when the Broncos told me "You can't write Orangemane tailgate" on a chalk board because the Broncos own all the AIR rights around the stadium. lol

I guess we should have just called it "People from the O********* Website tailgate".

Last edited by Meck77; 01-31-2014 at 12:09 PM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #47
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
This only affects advertisement related activity, it doesn't affect radio, tv shows, or websites that talk about sports, etc.

Also, people are really just playing it safe, I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL would lose a court battle if it ever came down to it on this matter.
Strictly speaking you're right, but according to a big NYC intellectual property lawyer-blogger, there's no automatic exemption for news outlets or non-profits. This guy really bashes the NFL, calls them "bullies," says they overreach and have everybody running scared.

He also wrote that when they upped the enforcement of these restrictions a few years ago, the NFL applied for several new trademarks including the "Big Game," but apparently they withdrew the applications because it looked like they would be rejected. He says that if they'd succeeded, we'd have to call it "The Large Game."
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #48
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Seriously? What, do you live in a closet? Restrictions supposedly apply just to advertisers, but some news and sports media outlets won't risk it.

This petty stuff makes the league a target for mockery, like Colbert "moving one letter over" and calling it SUPERB OWL XLVIII:

He's just being his typical douchey self. If it's not his idea or he hasn't heard of it, it has no value.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:16 PM   #49
Bronco Yoda

Turn off the radio. Do it for the kids.

It is really petty of the NFL. But they knoow the Brand name has become iconic enough to become untouchable.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #50
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Probably. My kid is just hitting the age where he's taking an active interest in actually watching the sport, not just wrestling and harassing me while I watch the game.
couldn't have come at a better time for you
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote