The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default The NFL is screwing up their brand pretty badly... RE: "The Big Game"

Interesting observation - at least I think it's interesting.

So kids today don't call it the Superbowl. At least not the kids around my life. They call it "The Big Game." They hear it on the radio because apparently nobody is allowed to say "Superbowl" for risk of being sued. So now a whole generation is growing up thinking of the event as being called "The Big Game," and the fact that it's "The Superbowl" is more like a neat side note to them.

I've heard my son say the words "The Big Game" about two dozen times in the last week. He's said the word Superbowl exactly twice, and both times after I had said it myself. He says his friends at school call it "The Big Game" as well.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
TD4HOF
Perennial Pro-bowler

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bowlen’s Legacy

I’ve never seen a quality org like the NFL go full on derp so fast in my life. It’d be a very long fall, but they’re in trouble.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
They hear it on the radio because apparently nobody is allowed to say "Superbowl" for risk of being sued.
Seriously? wow.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
GreasyWrenches
Just Drafted

New name, same attitude.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wolfe

Up until we won the AFCCG I would say 'the big show' because I didn't want to jinx it.

Then we won and I started screaming 'SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!"
GreasyWrenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
Bronco Yoda

Quote:

So kids today don't call it the Superbowl. At least not the kids around my life. They call it "The Big Game." They hear it on the radio because apparently nobody is allowed to say "Superbowl" for risk of being sued. So now a whole generation is growing up thinking of the event as being called "The Big Game," and the fact that it's "The Superbowl" is more like a neat side note to them.

I've heard my son say the words "The Big Game" about two dozen times in the last week. He's said the word Superbowl exactly twice, and both times after I had said it myself. He says his friends at school call it "The Big Game" as well.
Huh? That's news to me> My kids, their friends, kids I coach all use the term Super Bowl. What lawsuites do you speak of?
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
ak1971
uhhhh

Quote:

You should start suing everyone who uses the term 'orangemane'. Make everyone refer to the site as fred
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Huh? That's news to me> My kids, their friends, kids I coach all use the term Super Bowl. What lawsuites do you speak of?
Advertisers. The original post makes it sound like its everyone on the radio... that's not the case. Regular media people are obviously allowed to say "Super Bowl". The NFL won't allow advertisers to use a trademark term of theirs without a licensing agreement.

It's weird that kids might be growing up with their term for the game dictated by advertisements. I haven't heard anyone refer to it as "The Big Game"...

Last edited by Bronco X; 01-31-2014 at 01:24 AM..
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

You mostly hear the term "Big Game" from local media because they don't want to pay the license fee to use the term "Superbowl".
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Oh, I thought everybody knew about this by now. This has been going on for some time...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-315003
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:11 AM   #10
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Oh, I thought everybody knew about this by now. This has been going on for some time...

Pawn Stars had their SB show recently, and they had to refer to it throughout the show as the big game. It seemed kind of silly to me, but reality I suppose.

The worse case I have heard of is some guy that called in to a radio show this week and said Kinkos refused to print his flyers advertising his Super Bowl party.
I guess they didn't like that he called it a Super Bowl and named the teams. They said it was about copyright infringement, or something.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #11
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

This is a long week...
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:28 AM   #12
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
The one coming your way after I get my lawyers certificate or whatever it's called. Gotta start somewhere. BTW, I see the ex-NFL players are pissed off they only get about $220 apiece in the concussion settlement. The lawyers raked the cream off the top of that. What a surprise.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:36 AM   #13
Bronco Yoda

Quote:

Yes I knew about this. I just didn't equate unlicensed vs. licensed advertising overshadowing the brands actual name.

My kids and the kids I know are still playing Video games with the name Super Bowl referenced in it. My sons have Super Bowl 32/33 posters in their rooms (Bringing them up right8'. ) They have clothing with "super Bowl" printed on it. "super Bowl" is still advertised everywhere in merchandise.

I know what you're saying about the generic banners and radio spots for the small businesse etc. Thats nothing new.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:13 AM   #14
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

I haven't heard a single person call it "The Big Game" rather than the Super Bowl. Not one.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:18 AM   #15
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
They hear it on the radio because apparently nobody is allowed to say "Superbowl" for risk of being sued. So now a whole generation is growing up thinking of the event as being called "The Big Game," and the fact that it's "The Superbowl" is more like a neat side note to them.
I agree completely, it makes the league look petty and no-fun. Most companies want publicity, they want free promotion. But the NFL apparently thinks they have enough free promotion, so they started really cracking down on this in 2007... then - voila! - the next three years saw their two biggest 'Official Sponsorship' deals shift from big corporations to biggest corporations: 2011, Budweiser replaced Coors ... 2012, Nike replaced Reebok. Bud paid double what Coors had been paying, Nike almost triple Reebok. These differences add up to more than a Billion dollars for the NFL.

Can't say "Final Four" or "March Madness" either ... but this stuff goes beyond sports: the State of Kentucky has a trademark on the word 'Kentucky,' which is why Kentucky Fried Chicken changed its name to KFC. True story.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:26 AM   #16
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I haven't heard a single person call it "The Big Game" rather than the Super Bowl. Not one.
Seriously? What, do you live in a closet? Restrictions supposedly apply just to advertisers, but some news and sports media outlets won't risk it.

This petty stuff makes the league a target for mockery, like Colbert "moving one letter over" and calling it SUPERB OWL XLVIII:

Old 01-31-2014, 04:38 AM   #17
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I wonder whether Temple University plans to sue Colbert.

One more example: Remember the first time the Seahawks went to the Super Bowl? The refs screwed 'em over good. But they weren't the first to screw them over. The week before the "Big Game," Texas A&M University sued the Seahawks and the City of Seattle for copyright infringement over their use of the phrase "The 12th Man." No, really. They did. Even got a restraining order against the use of it until the case settled:

Quote:
Seahawks, A&M resolve '12th man' dispute

COLLEGE STATION, Tex. -- The fight over the "12th Man" is over and both Texas A&M University and the Seattle Seahawks will be able to use the phrase.

The university and the Seahawks said Monday they had reached a deal settling the university's lawsuit over the phrase. As part of the agreement, the Seahawks acknowledge Texas A&M's ownership rights of the trademarked phrase. However, the NFL team may continue using it under license. Neither side admitted any fault or liability.

"Our fans won't notice any changes in what we do," Seahawks chief executive officer Tod Leiweke said at team headquarters in Kirkland, Wash. "They won't see any changes in the stadium. We are really happy about that."

The only change the Seahawks will make is on any broadcasts that feature the 12th Man. A statement that the 12th Man is a trademark of Texas A&M University will be included on such broadcasts.

Texas A&M officials declined to say how much the licensing fee would be for the Seahawks, noting the final documents have not been filed in court.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2437992
Old 01-31-2014, 05:37 AM   #18
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It is getting surreal. I have to wonder how all this legalese will turn out ten, twenty years from now.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #19
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post
It is getting surreal. I have to wonder how all this legalese will turn out ten, twenty years from now.
Lawyers are taking over the world and taking money out of both sides' pockets no matter how frivolous the case.

Ain't life grand?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 AM   #20
Shananahan
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I mean, I've heard 'The Big Game' a couple times, but nowhere enough to make me think it's replacing anything. Everybody keeps asking me, "What are you doing for the Super Bowl?"

I can't relate to this thread at all.
Shananahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:37 AM   #21
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

This thread is the first I have heard of this and noone I know of has said Big Game...

Brain Wash your kid better TJ
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 AM   #22
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
This is a long week...
No joke. It has crawled by. I even went to Vegas for a night and that barely helped speed things up. So ready for Sunday.

Last edited by Drunk Monkey; 01-31-2014 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: because autocorrect sucks
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:44 AM   #23
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
No joke. It has crawled by. I even went to Vegas for a night and that barley helped speed things up. So ready for Sunday.
Barley will do that.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:49 AM   #24
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
Barley will do that.
There was a little of that involved also.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 AM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

I think this is a parenting lapse.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote