The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #76
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

I feel like eating some sea chicken pot pie.....
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #77
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldschoolFreak View Post
2) I loved the playoff adjustment to go from high flying up tempo to grind it out clock control and that was definitely the right recipe for SD and NE but I think we need to go back to what we do best this week and move quickly. Yes, scoring on 6 of 8 possessions would be nice but is unlikely against this D. We need to put up points and the best way to do that is to light them up early. Get into a rhythm and aggressively march down that field.
I think a lot of this ends up being dictated by how the other team plays defense more than any given game plan - or to say it differently our game plan probably says if they play like this then lets do this, if they play like that lets do this other thing.

Example, in the NE game there were giving up the runs and short throws to protect deep. So we did and did it well. This is where PFM is the master - reading what play has the greatest chance of success based on the D.

Anyway I am ready for the dang game! GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #78
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

I keep going back and forth I feel confident then start worrying then feel confident then start worrying again! Right know I feel a little bit of both confident and worry at the same time!
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #79
OldschoolFreak
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
I think a lot of this ends up being dictated by how the other team plays defense more than any given game plan - or to say it differently our game plan probably says if they play like this then lets do this, if they play like that lets do this other thing.

Example, in the NE game there were giving up the runs and short throws to protect deep. So we did and did it well. This is where PFM is the master - reading what play has the greatest chance of success based on the D.

Anyway I am ready for the dang game! GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed, and I'm not saying they should do anything other than taking what the defense gives; don't force it. BUT...Just in terms of pacing and time elapsed between plays, I'd like to see the offense play faster this game to maybe split the difference and try to get to 10 possessions on the night rather than the 8 we've been averaging in the playoffs (12ish in regular season).

I just feel like this D really is quite good so to expect the same amount of productivity in terms of points per drive is a mistake. The way around that is volume; if we have 25% more possessions then in the NE and SD games, that's 25% more scoring opportunities.
OldschoolFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #80
Bronco Yoda

We got this!

Julius Thomas will be the one going Beast Mode!

34-17 Broncos!
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #81
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
We got this!

Julius Thomas will be the one going Beast Mode!

34-17 Broncos!
I'd like to see Knowshon and Monte go a little Beast Mode as well!
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #82
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Agreed, and I'm not saying they should do anything other than taking what the defense gives; don't force it. BUT...Just in terms of pacing and time elapsed between plays, I'd like to see the offense play faster this game to maybe split the difference and try to get to 10 possessions on the night rather than the 8 we've been averaging in the playoffs (12ish in regular season).

I just feel like this D really is quite good so to expect the same amount of productivity in terms of points per drive is a mistake. The way around that is volume; if we have 25% more possessions then in the NE and SD games, that's 25% more scoring opportunities.
Yeah, that's interesting, the points per drive angle. I was listening to an oddsmaker this morning (RJ Bell), I can't remember the exact numbers but he was saying Denver avg'd something like 8 plays and 3 minutes per TD drive reg season, that went up to 12 plays and 5 minutes postseason.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #83
OldschoolFreak
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Yeah, that's interesting, the points per drive angle. I was listening to an oddsmaker this morning (RJ Bell), I can't remember the exact numbers but he was saying Denver avg'd something like 8 plays and 3 minutes per TD drive reg season, that went up to 12 plays and 5 minutes postseason.
Yep and that was intentional and brilliantly executed; exactly the right gameplan for the challenges they faced in SD and NE. My hope is that they can again realize the need to adjust and use faster pacing to give the offense 2-3 more opportunities to put up points this game since we might very well need them (not to mention limiting substitutions and tiring out he DL).
OldschoolFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #84
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Yeah for some reason I think that could happen, but can't visualize it. I have made a comment in another thread that this could be like Broncos Vs. Niners. Denver had a good scoring defense and a strong secondary that just got totally out-schemed.

I know we're going to play well. But I don't know if we're going to play that well, and I think we could lose this game. It will come down to a few clutch plays.
This scenario is a real possibilty too, of course it may not play out that way, but with two weeks to scheme the cover 3- cover 1 crash defense of the Hawks, its entirely possible for a dominating performance by Manning and the whole team could explode, with a little luck in the wind and weather that is starting to look more promising.

Broncos could even spot the Hawks a score while working out the early nerves and then go on a tear clicking in gear and Manning just being on fire. Not unlike he has dominated some other great defenses in his day.

It will likely take some big turn overs and a couple scores by our defense and/or ST while keeping Lynch and Wilson contained, if not shut down, for the explosion to happen, but it very much could.

In any event, I'm putting some serious mojo thought in that direction, for what little that might be worth.

Last edited by Hulamau; 01-31-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:23 PM   #85
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

My gut tells me it will be a blow out one way or the other.

I was more confident about '98 and '99
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #86
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Yep and that was intentional and brilliantly executed; exactly the right gameplan for the challenges they faced in SD and NE. My hope is that they can again realize the need to adjust and use faster pacing to give the offense 2-3 more opportunities to put up points this game since we might very well need them (not to mention limiting substitutions and tiring out he DL).
Yeah, from what I read Seattle likes to shuttle in DL guys a lot. I see they have a ton of DE's with like 6-8 sacks apiece.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote