The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default How Are We Feeling About The Game?

Never mind the trolls, Peter King and party's...

This is a good matchup of two damn good teams with great unit and position matchups all over the field.

Denver's pass offense vs. Seattle's pass defense.

This isn't the first time Denver has played against a good pass defense. The last time was against Houston...ranked 3rd overall in pass defense in the NFL was torched by Manning for 400 yards and 4 TD's and it could have been more. Baltimore had a respectable 12th ranked pass defense and we all know how that ended. It's also been documented how Seattle really hasn't played against many good passing games and when they have they have been lit up. They have played against a lot of average QB's and feasted off them.

With that said...Seattle's pass defense is outstanding. Starts up front...they get good pressure on the QB, ranking 10th in the league in sacks. That combined with the secondary coverage makes for rushed, poor throws that often lead to turnovers. 28 interceptions this year...10 more than the next team behind them. Personally I think Denver just has too many weapons of offense. I just don't see Seattle being able to make Manning uncomfortable and being able to cover everyone. Denver will get theirs.

Advantage: Denver...but only slightly. Should be a great matchup.

Denver's rush defense vs. Seattle's rush offense

Denver has a damn solid rushing defense, but on paper at least is a little outmanned vs Seattle and their 2nd ranked rush offense. Again though, this isn't the first time Denver has gone up against a good rushing attack. Philly and New England come to mind. Philly had success running the ball using their spread attack. They didn't hurt Denver because the Broncos got up quickly and turned Philly into a passing team. Must of Denver's success in rushing defense comes from blowing teams out and forcing them to throw the ball.

I look for Seattle to run a decent amount of spread option principles and sprinkling in Harvin in the running game. I'm not horribly worried about Lynch...but Wilson and Harvin could really hurt Denver. Lynch will get production...but if the other two get production...it'll hurt.

Advantage: Seattle

Harvin

He is a real wild card for Seattle. This guy, while injury prone will be all over the field and command Denver's respect and attention. He is a game breaker and can score from anywhere on the field. The question is...how game ready is he? He missed almost the entire season sans a playoff game in which is sustained a concussion. In that game he only tallied 30 or so yards but was all over the field when he did play.

Moreno/Ball

The Denver RB stable has quietly become a dangerous weapon. Moreno had his best year in the NFL...rushing for a 1000 yards and scoring 13 total TD's. And after fumbling issues, Montee Ball posted 500+ rushing yards and has been a valuable contributor off the bench.

I don't see Denver running the ball more than they usually do. The plan is always to score at will and force the opposing teams offense to throw the ball. To do that Denver will throw and throw some more. But on 3rd and short and inside the redzone Denver will pound the ball. Something they have had success doing all year. Seattle's rushing defense is good...about the same as Denver's statistically...and for the same reason. A lot of Seattle's games have been blowouts.

Throw in Moreno catching a few balls out of the backfield via screens and check downs and the advantage goes to Denver...slightly.

To me it's sounds cliche and silly but if Denver doesn't turn the ball over (Holiday cannot be allowed to return punts ever again) and commit terrible penalties like they did vs. Indy, NW and SD (their only losses) Denver should win the game rather easily (IMHO).

Denver 34
Seattle 24

What say you?
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
nyuk nyuk
Good kid

In the hizzouse

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!

Denver by 7. Considering how Seattle performed at home in the playoffs, I'm not that impressed with their prowess. Denver is playing much cleaner, consistent football. While the media hypes Richard Sherman, we have 2 top DBs on our own. As good as their defense is, they don't have the #1 defense of all time and there's no way they're going to stop 5 players with at least 10 TDs. Just not going to happen.

Last check about an hour ago, forecast is sunny and 43 degrees.

Antonio Cromartie: Seahawks Defense Isn't Enough to Stop Broncos
nyuk nyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

That's the score I predicted, 34-24. I think Manning clinches it late.

I'm just ready for the game to get here. Tired of all the talk. Seattle fans are basically Oregon Duck fans. They are super obnoxious despite having never won anything. They are the most arrogant fan base i've ever seen, even more so than KC. At least KC has been humbled by years of failure. The hawks need to taste some of that.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
bombay
Ring of Famer

Confident.

We have the better team.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Arkie
Atlanta GM

I predicted 20-14 Denver. Both defenses play great. Champ Bailey gets MVP.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
nyuk nyuk
Good kid

In the hizzouse

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!

I think we lead the game, most of it if not all of it.

Seattle nearly lost at home. They fumbled several times and in spite of several SF fumbles, still relied on a late bad throw by Kaepernick. They did not look like a strong, Super Bowl-ready team in the NFC title game. Denver, however, did.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
WoodMan
Ring of Famer

I like Denver's O-line vs Seattles front 7. I believe they will keep PFM upright and be able to run the ball when they need too. Manning with a little time is really tough to stop. He just goes through his reads quickly and usually throws to an uncovered receiver. Seldom into double coverage. I also think the no huddle causes Seattle problems. I look for Welker and JT to have good opportunities as I think Seattle tries to shut down the wide receivers. I like Denver's Defensive front seven to stop Seattle's running game and force Wilson to pass more than they would like. I hope for some turnovers if that becomes the direction of the game. I also think it will be about a 10 point Denver win. Broncos need to play mistake free in the turnover and penalty phases of the game. I don't think PFM will under-throw open receivers for interceptions like Capernick did in the NCCG. He gave away the game to Seattle with a couple of horrendous throws. Both in the second half. One at the end of the game in the red zone on first down if I remember right. If he put that ball where only Crabtree had a chance at it, we might be facing a different team on Sunday. So if I have to pick a score I would guess about 30-20 broncos.
WoodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I'm confident and have trust in this team, for sure...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
nyuk nyuk
Good kid

In the hizzouse

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!

Seattle's OL isn't that great. They had Wilson running for his life half the game. The guy is such a newbie, he kept intentionally grounding the ball.

Last edited by nyuk nyuk; 01-30-2014 at 11:28 AM..
Old 01-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
DenverDynamite
Solid Starter

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I think the stage is too big for Seattle and they will wilt under the spotlight. Russell Wilson is going to hand the ball to the Denver defense more than once. The Broncos offense will take advantage. The game will be close in the first half and like always Denver will open it up in the third, perhaps allowing a garbage-time touchdown to keep the score respectable in the 4th. I standby my original assertion that this Seattle team is simply the KC Chiefs in puke green.
Denver 28
Seattle 20
DenverDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
gadlaw
Fan since Red Miller Days

I like the analysis StugotsIII. I feel like Seattle is getting the benefit of a lot of 'let's make sure we keep everyone interested' hype. Reminds me of how draft choices get media boosts and move up and down the draft board based on changing hype. I feel like they had meetings at the NFL Network and at ESPN and said 'half you guys push for Denver, half you guys push for Seattle'. I see a lot of ways that Denver can win and I don't see a lot of ways that can point to a Seattle victory and I've been listening. But I'm ready for the game to get here already.
gadlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #12
GoHAM
Ring of Famer

The Defense is Back!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Unrein

I am strangely calm and confident about this one. No doubt Seattle has a great defense, but in the end I don't see them as an all time great D ala 85 Bears or 2000's Ravens. I think our offense will be too much for them. I like Gase and Manning having two weeks to gameplan, against anyone. I like our run defense against Beast Mode. I like our defense against the whole Seattle offense. I'd love for it to be a laugher but lets be honest here, Russell Wilson is no John Elway dragging a decent, but not great, team to the Super Bowl. Seattle is a very good team, but I just can't see them getting the better of this Broncos team. I see a very similar game to our previous playoff games. Broncos win, say 27-17, but the score doesn't really reflect how much Denver controlled the game.
GoHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
Bronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Talib

Seattle sucks 34-17
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
Never mind the trolls, Peter King and party's...

This is a good matchup of two damn good teams with great unit and position matchups all over the field.

Denver's pass offense vs. Seattle's pass defense.

This isn't the first time Denver has played against a good pass defense. The last time was against Houston...ranked 3rd overall in pass defense in the NFL was torched by Manning for 400 yards and 4 TD's and it could have been more. Baltimore had a respectable 12th ranked pass defense and we all know how that ended. It's also been documented how Seattle really hasn't played against many good passing games and when they have they have been lit up. They have played against a lot of average QB's and feasted off them.

With that said...Seattle's pass defense is outstanding. Starts up front...they get good pressure on the QB, ranking 10th in the league in sacks. That combined with the secondary coverage makes for rushed, poor throws that often lead to turnovers. 28 interceptions this year...10 more than the next team behind them. Personally I think Denver just has too many weapons of offense. I just don't see Seattle being able to make Manning uncomfortable and being able to cover everyone. Denver will get theirs.

Advantage: Denver...but only slightly. Should be a great matchup.

Denver's rush defense vs. Seattle's rush offense

Denver has a damn solid rushing defense, but on paper at least is a little outmanned vs Seattle and their 2nd ranked rush offense. Again though, this isn't the first time Denver has gone up against a good rushing attack. Philly and New England come to mind. Philly had success running the ball using their spread attack. They didn't hurt Denver because the Broncos got up quickly and turned Philly into a passing team. Must of Denver's success in rushing defense comes from blowing teams out and forcing them to throw the ball.

I look for Seattle to run a decent amount of spread option principles and sprinkling in Harvin in the running game. I'm not horribly worried about Lynch...but Wilson and Harvin could really hurt Denver. Lynch will get production...but if the other two get production...it'll hurt.

Advantage: Seattle

Harvin

He is a real wild card for Seattle. This guy, while injury prone will be all over the field and command Denver's respect and attention. He is a game breaker and can score from anywhere on the field. The question is...how game ready is he? He missed almost the entire season sans a playoff game in which is sustained a concussion. In that game he only tallied 30 or so yards but was all over the field when he did play.

Moreno/Ball

The Denver RB stable has quietly become a dangerous weapon. Moreno had his best year in the NFL...rushing for a 1000 yards and scoring 13 total TD's. And after fumbling issues, Montee Ball posted 500+ rushing yards and has been a valuable contributor off the bench.

I don't see Denver running the ball more than they usually do. The plan is always to score at will and force the opposing teams offense to throw the ball. To do that Denver will throw and throw some more. But on 3rd and short and inside the redzone Denver will pound the ball. Something they have had success doing all year. Seattle's rushing defense is good...about the same as Denver's statistically...and for the same reason. A lot of Seattle's games have been blowouts.

Throw in Moreno catching a few balls out of the backfield via screens and check downs and the advantage goes to Denver...slightly.

To me it's sounds cliche and silly but if Denver doesn't turn the ball over (Holiday cannot be allowed to return punts ever again) and commit terrible penalties like they did vs. Indy, NW and SD (their only losses) Denver should win the game rather easily (IMHO).

Denver 34
Seattle 24

What say you?
Denver 34
Seattle 20

They are a weak offense. They can't and won't stop Manning, brah
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

As confident as I have felt all year. I've watched a few of Russell Wilson's last few games, and he's been pretty pedestrian in all of them. Their confidence in him seems to be very low right now. Against the Saints, he was 9 for 18 for 103 yards. That's terrible.

Lynch is obviously the concern on the offensive side of the ball, and the Broncos have the best rushing defense in the league, bar none... Ryan Matthews is the only runningback who managed to do much against them, and it was after the Broncos had clinched.

This game is going to swing on whether or not the Seahawks can make something happen towards the end of the third and beginning of the fourth quarter. If our offense stalls at this time, we may be in trouble. But overall, this will be a typical game like we've played all year - they'll have a tough time containing the offense, and a tougher time getting things to work on their own offense.

If Russell Wilson throws an interception, we win this by two scores. Add in a Holliday Road, and it might even be three...

Last edited by Taco John; 01-29-2014 at 10:08 PM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #16
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHAM View Post
I am strangely calm and confident about this one. No doubt Seattle has a great defense, but in the end I don't see them as an all time great D ala 85 Bears or 2000's Ravens. I think our offense will be too much for them. I like Gase and Manning having two weeks to gameplan, against anyone. I like our run defense against Beast Mode. I like our defense against the whole Seattle offense. I'd love for it to be a laugher but lets be honest here, Russell Wilson is no John Elway dragging a decent, but not great, team to the Super Bowl. Seattle is a very good team, but I just can't see them getting the better of this Broncos team. I see a very similar game to our previous playoff games. Broncos win, say 27-17, but the score doesn't really reflect how much Denver controlled the game.
Me too, and it's kind of hard to explain. I was way more nervous about the previous two playoff games than I am this one.

I said it in another thread, but I really think the Broncos defense will be the real wildcard in this game. Broncos 28-13 with the Seagulls getting their sole TD late in the game.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #17
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R H8R View Post
Me too, and it's kind of hard to explain. I was way more nervous about the previous two playoff games than I am this one.

I said it in another thread, but I really think the Broncos defense will be the real wildcard in this game. Broncos 28-13 with the Seagulls getting their sole TD late in the game.
I feel the same way!

I felt the same way vs. NE in the playoffs as well...
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
Denver by 7. Considering how Seattle performed at home in the playoffs, I'm not that impressed with their prowess. Denver is playing much cleaner, consistent football. While the media hypes Richard Sherman, we have 2 top DBs on our own. As good as their defense is, they don't have the #1 defense of all time and there's no way they're going to stop 5 players with at least 10 TDs. Just not going to happen.

Last check about an hour ago, forecast is sunny and 43 degrees.

Antonio Cromartie: Seahawks Defense Isn't Enough to Stop Broncos
Game is after sunset. Though more daytime heating means higher temps throughout the game.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #19
TD4HOF
Rehabbed Lurker

He's Better Than MJ!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Special Teams

Lynch knocks out 3 defenders on his first carry. Sherman single handedly devastates Denver’s D. Elway ultimately resigns.

Seahawks 36-0.
TD4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
yerner
Ring of Famer

I'm nervous. I watched alot of seahawks this year. They are legit. They play really hard and seem to create opportunities. They have a lucky way making things happen to change momentum and score fast. And the Broncos haven't faced a mobile qb playing at Wilson"s level this year. I honestly don't know how this game goes.

Last edited by yerner; 01-29-2014 at 10:27 PM..
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #21
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
I'm nervous. I watched alot of seahawks this year. They are legit. They play really hard and seem to create opportunities. They have a lucky way making things happen to change momentum and score fast. And the Broncos haven't faced a mobile qb playing at Wilson"s level this year. I honestly don't know how this game goes.
No they aren't. They are another version of KC with a crappier QB. Earth comes quickly on Sunday for their fans.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #22
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

They didn't hurt Denver because the Broncos got up quickly and turned Philly into a passing team........................

That was what I took away from the OPs post. We get up on them couple of scores its a totally different ballgame that Seattle doesn't want and I doubt Wilson can handle.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #23
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

I really don't know. I'm a homer so I'm generally leaning toward us winning, but I can see two scenarios.

Scenario One

Denver shuts down Lynch, as they have all running backs this year. They also get enough pressure on Wilson to force some throws that don't hit their mark. Percy Harvin is rusty and isn't much of a factor in the passing game and the end around plays don't fool anybody. Denver's offense looks about the same except they are running the ball better. After grinding out a couple of field goals, but allowing no points by the Seahawks, Denver breaks open a touchdown and slowly pulls away. Seattle manages to put up a few scores but they run out of time. Denver wins 27-16.

Scenario Two

Denver shuts down Lynch, as they have all running backs this year. However Wilson uses his elusiveness to throw several deep balls that find their mark. Some are on third and long, when they seemingly have Wilson bottled up, but he escapes at the last minute in a brilliant display and his receivers make great catches that someone get wide open. It reminds everyone of the Dallas game. Denver's receivers struggle with the muggy nature of the Seattle secondary and the cold day causes some drops to fall into the hands of the Seattle Secondary. Percy Harvin has some effective plays and returns a punt for a score. Lynch is able to grind out a late drive to abort a failed comeback. Denver's mistakes do them in and Seattle outlasts them 24-20.

Scenario 3

Both teams go back and forth in a surprisingly good shoot out. Denver attacks surgically. Wilson free lances. Neither running game seems able to get going. Both teams get some key turnovers and by mid fourth quarter Seattle is up by three and driving. Carroll gambles and goes for the TD on fourth down on our goal line and we hold. With 5:37 left on the clock, Manning orchestrates one of the longest drives in SB history throwing the go-head touchdown to Wes Welker, who hangs on as he's sandwiched mid-air between both Seattle safeties and comes down on his neck with 18 seconds left on the clock. In an appropriate ending, Russel Wilson's hail Mary at the end of the game is picked off by Champ Bailey in the final seconds and he walks off a SB Champion at last. Broncos 28-24.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #24
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Total domination by Denver's offense.

48 - 16
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:28 PM   #25
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Feeling anxious, it can't get here fast enough.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote