The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #51
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,249

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
That's absurdly far from the reality. If he played for a team that got the attention the Seahawks have gotten the past two seasons, this wouldn't even be a conversation, let alone self-promotional rants and easier-to-play scheme.

There's a reason media talking heads call Sherman the best and actual DBs from Hall to Prime point to Peterson.

Also:

Revis is still better than Sherman.

Haden is currently better than Sherman.
Absolutely correct. Sherman isn't even a shutdown corner. He's a really good zone corner that gets away with holding on every play.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #52
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
That's absurdly far from the reality. If he played for a team that got the attention the Seahawks have gotten the past two seasons, this wouldn't even be a conversation, let alone self-promotional rants and easier-to-play scheme.

There's a reason media talking heads call Sherman the best and actual DBs from Hall to Prime point to Peterson.

Also:

Revis is still better than Sherman.

Haden is currently better than Sherman.
Revis and Haden are a lot more consistent than Peterson still too. The tape does not lie my friend. Peterson can still make the sick athletic plays and highlight reel stuff, but he is nowhere near as consistent in his role play to play or game to game.

Peterson still needs to man up mentally to be the player you already think he is. The good thing is if he ever does he could be the best of all time. However, how many absolute pure talented guys live up to their potential?

We all know Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, and Peyton Manning were never the physical specimen's of their generation like Patrick Peterson is. However, they were the best of their generation due to their mental makeup and toughness.

For real though, I do not care less this week to get into the best CB Discussion. It's moot anyway

What do you think of the Matchups? Can SEA really expect to play like they did against NO with all of Sean Payton's substituting and formations? I think not. When NO drove the ball on them, in SEA no less, they switched to the No huddle and let Brees call more from the LOS. And, they were effective. I think Payton let his damn ego get in the way with the game planning and he missed the fact SEA is much more effective when they can substitute their DL liberally by situation.

Plus, DEN's Run defense has been solid enough to play more safe on the back end and try and eliminate the Russel Wilson big play they rely on to move the ball on TD drives. At first I thought SEA would have more matchup advantages, but on careful film analysis over the last 2 weeks I think they are only likely going to win ST's and Field position.

Last edited by Mediator12; 01-29-2014 at 02:49 PM..
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #53
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Revis and Haden are a lot more consistent than Peterson still too. The tape does not lie my friend. Peterson can still make the sick athletic plays and highlight reel stuff, but he is nowhere near as consistent is his role play to play or game to game.

Peterson still needs to man up mentally to be the player you already think he is. The good thing is if he ever does he could be the best of all time. However, how many absolute pure talented guys live up to their potential.

We all know Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, and Peyton Manning were never the physical specimen's of their generation like Patrick Peterson is. However, they were the best of their generation due to their mental makeup and toughness.

For real though, I do not care less this week to get into the best CB Discussion. It's moot anyway
lol then by all means, post some examples... or even just one.

I'll wait here patiently



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
What do you think of the Matchups? Can SEA really expect to play like they did against NO with all of Sean Payton's substituting and formations? I think not. When NO drove the ball on them, in SEA no less, they switched to the No huddle and let Brees call more from the LOS. And, they were effective. I think Payton let his damn ego get in the way with the game planning and he missed the fact SEA is much more effective when they can substitute their DL liberally by situation.

Plus, DEN's Run defense has been solid enough to play more safe on the back end and try and eliminate the Russel Wilson big play they rely on to move the ball on TD drives. At first I thought SEA would have more matchup advantages, but on careful film analysis over the last 2 weeks I think they are only likely going to win ST's and Field position.
There's a whole section on it
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #54
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,249

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Revis and Haden are a lot more consistent than Peterson still too. The tape does not lie my friend. Peterson can still make the sick athletic plays and highlight reel stuff, but he is nowhere near as consistent is his role play to play or game to game.

Peterson still needs to man up mentally to be the player you already think he is. The good thing is if he ever does he could be the best of all time. However, how many absolute pure talented guys live up to their potential.

We all know Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, and Peyton Manning were never the physical specimen's of their generation like Patrick Peterson is. However, they were the best of their generation due to their mental makeup and toughness.

For real though, I do not care less this week to get into the best CB Discussion. It's moot anyway

What do you think of the Matchups? Can SEA really expect to play like they did against NO with all of Sean Payton's substituting and formations? I think not. When NO drove the ball on them, in SEA no less, they switched to the No huddle and let Brees call more from the LOS. And, they were effective. I think Payton let his damn ego get in the way with the game planning and he missed the fact SEA is much more effective when they can substitute their DL liberally by situation.

Plus, DEN's Run defense has been solid enough to play more safe on the back end and try and eliminate the Russel Wilson big play they rely on to move the ball on TD drives. At first I thought SEA would have more matchup advantages, but on careful film analysis over the last 2 weeks I think they are only likely going to win ST's and Field position.
Wouldn't you agree that turnovers deep in our end are a must for them? I just don't see that offense driving the length of the field and scoring much with the way Denver's defense has been playing lately. I also don't see them holding our offense below 23 which is pretty much their scoring ceiling as far as I can tell unless they get easy points.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #55
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive
 
Boobs McGee's Avatar
 
till the day that I die

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glendale
Posts: 5,052

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default

Excellent stuff. Love your write ups mang!
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #56
ghwk
Ring of Famer
 
ghwk's Avatar
 
DOUBLE JESUS MUTHER EFFERS!

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,303

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Be Smokin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
The real issues for me are as follows:

1. Seattle moving to a more man-press scheme. I think they can do it, but it will be an adjustment, and it opens you up to more screens - which Denver is very good at.

2. Their grabby defense. They lead the league in penalties. They'll cheat and pull knowing it only gets called a third of the time. Denver's receivers need to know if they are going to "let them play" we need to push off, block early, and cheat just as much.

3. Turnovers. Denver wasn't fantastic at protecting the ball this year. Seattle is +3 on give/take in the playoffs. Though they only got one against the Saints, so three have come against one team. If Denver turns the ball over, it will be difficult to win.

4. Protection. You spoke to this a bit, but not the other side that seems to be getting ignored. Denver has handled some good defenses and handled them easily. The Broncos have allowed 0 sacks. What isn't being talked about is how the Seahawks have allowed Russell Wilson to be sacked 7 times - at home. Now granted, both New Orleans and San Fran have top tier pass rushes, but Denver is just a sniff behind them - and has been all year without Von Miller. Denver has been able to sack the QB the last several games and this is going against good offensive lines and All-pro QBs. On a neutral field Denver should be able to harass Wilson.

5. Intangibles. Denver has overcome quite a bit. And I really liked their workman approach after the game and how they've been pretty quiet. The Seahawks have been mouthing off and celebrating like they already won it. They're press conferences they've been putting a lot of stock in that preseason game like "we just need to do that again." Denver got smacked in the mouth then. I am hopeful the Hawks see the AFC, and our team by consequence as inferior. I suspect Denver comes out with a lot of intensity and is up for the task.

I see us losing if: If we turn the ball over and they are able to pressure Manning. If they officiate the secondary pretty lightly and we don't fight back they'll hold our receivers, sack Manning and give their offense opportunities. In those instances they will eventually get Lynch going and it will be a long day. I also could Harvin and some explosive special teams plays going their way and taking us down.

I see us winning: If we get a lead and make Wilson have to beat us. You alluded to this before, but if you stop the run and get some scores right away, you put the whole game on Wilson. That's a tall order for him. Wilson hasn't been asked to win the game for his team very much this year. I could see us getting some turnovers when show blitz and drop nine into coverage. I could also see Holiday finally breaking one.

It should be a good game. If Denver is physical and protects the ball, we should be able to win. If they buckle down and force a few, we will probably lose.
The real issue for me is who the F is Popcorn Sutton and why is he flipping me the bird? Fun juice?
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #57
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 15,993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Well, from what I've read (I haven't seen many Hawk games), they have the swarming, limit YAC defense, sure tacklers. If you do complete some passes, they're on the ball-carrier pretty quick.

I see Seattle is 8th in the League O-scoring at 26.8 ppg. They have good ST's, Golden Tate is a solid PR guy. Hauschka (a former Bronco) is 33/35 on FGA's, 3/3 50+ FG's. 11/12 40-49 yd FG's.

I see Seattle is #1 in the League D-scoring at 14.4 ppg. I don't see that in this game, nor do I see Seattle at their 26.8 ppg offensive average for this game.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #58
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
There's a reason media talking heads call Sherman the best and actual DBs from Hall to Prime point to Peterson.
.
Well Deion is saying Sherman is the best CB in the league on TV right now. I am guessing he just throws **** out there because he says you want a guy that you just line up on the number 1 WR. That isn't Sherman.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #59
BroncosfanGuy
Luddite
 
BroncosfanGuy's Avatar
 
Big Fan

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,157

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Haden is currently better than Sherman.
talk about a guy flying under the radar. I wouldn't begrudge someone if they said Haden was the best CB in the league this season.
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:52 PM   #60
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 15,993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Revis and Haden are a lot more consistent than Peterson still too. The tape does not lie my friend. Peterson can still make the sick athletic plays and highlight reel stuff, but he is nowhere near as consistent in his role play to play or game to game.

Peterson still needs to man up mentally to be the player you already think he is. The good thing is if he ever does he could be the best of all time. However, how many absolute pure talented guys live up to their potential?

We all know Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, and Peyton Manning were never the physical specimen's of their generation like Patrick Peterson is. However, they were the best of their generation due to their mental makeup and toughness.

For real though, I do not care less this week to get into the best CB Discussion. It's moot anyway

What do you think of the Matchups? Can SEA really expect to play like they did against NO with all of Sean Payton's substituting and formations? I think not. When NO drove the ball on them, in SEA no less, they switched to the No huddle and let Brees call more from the LOS. And, they were effective. I think Payton let his damn ego get in the way with the game planning and he missed the fact SEA is much more effective when they can substitute their DL liberally by situation.

Plus, DEN's Run defense has been solid enough to play more safe on the back end and try and eliminate the Russel Wilson big play they rely on to move the ball on TD drives. At first I thought SEA would have more matchup advantages, but on careful film analysis over the last 2 weeks I think they are only likely going to win ST's and Field position.
I've heard that could be a key to the game, RE: can Denver run a fast enough pace to prevent too much shuttling. And is the fast pace what Denver wants to do, or more ball control?
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:45 AM   #61
milehighJC
Solid Starter
 
milehighJC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 198
Default

This kind of thread is why I started reading the mane years ago. Insightful analysis!
milehighJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:13 AM   #62
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,264

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I dont even know what WOT is, but thanks?
I was guessing. wheel of time *shrugs*
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:02 AM   #63
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Well Deion is saying Sherman is the best CB in the league on TV right now. I am guessing he just throws **** out there because he says you want a guy that you just line up on the number 1 WR. That isn't Sherman.
That's because they're still playing and Deion has to talk for a few hours a day.

They're also not the best secondary of all time, either.

Deion likes Revis a lot more than Sherman and at the Pro Bowl we saw he likes Peterson more than Revis... Or any other defender, for that matter.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:04 AM   #64
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
talk about a guy flying under the radar. I wouldn't begrudge someone if they said Haden was the best CB in the league this season.
Yeah neither would I. I'd love to see Elway make a hard play to nab him from Cleveland (contract year in 2014--yes, I'm watching him that closely)

I wouldn't begrudge anyone who said that about Sherman either and really do love his play and the person behind it.

This wouldn't be a discussion, but we're playing them and people think he's a greater threat than he actually is. Dick will get ignored or chewed up in 2 days.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 AM   #65
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Btw, thanks for all the kind words in thread, in reps, and in PMs.

My favorite notes are always the PMs from longtime lurkers. It's always touching to find out you've positively impacted people you didn't even know existed previously.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #66
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Back on topic:

Remember guys, perhaps our primary offensive key will be BUNCH FORMATIONS. It will wreak havoc on their defensive setup, so expect to see a lot of it on Sunday.

We can (and WILL) wreck Seattle with crosses, rubs, bubble screens, etc out of bunch sets.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:08 AM   #67
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Back on topic:

Remember guys, perhaps our primary offensive key will be BUNCH FORMATIONS. It will wreak havoc on their defensive setup, so expect to see a lot of it on Sunday.

We can (and WILL) wreck Seattle with crosses, rubs, bubble screens, etc out of bunch sets.
Yep, I like our 11 personnel setup and I would love to put Julius and Sherman alone on the weakside and bunch all 3 WR's on the strongside. Run a couple of times away from Sherman and let JT pancake Sherman or grab his hair and sling him a little

I think DEN will do what they always do and add some new Screen, fake screen, and PA four verticals routes. They need to Stress that defense early and keep up the pace on offense.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #68
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Yep, I like our 11 personnel setup and I would love to put Julius and Sherman alone on the weakside and bunch all 3 WR's on the strongside. Run a couple of times away from Sherman and let JT pancake Sherman or grab his hair and sling him a little

I think DEN will do what they always do and add some new Screen, fake screen, and PA four verticals routes. They need to Stress that defense early and keep up the pace on offense.
That'll be good for a successful play or three, but if we start doing that regularly, they'll roll all coverage that way and there won't even any Manning-sized windows
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #69
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,024

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
That'll be good for a successful play or three, but if we start doing that regularly, they'll roll all coverage that way and there won't even any Manning-sized windows
I think its just for a little while too, but I really want Julius to smack Sherman a couple of times to start the game! Remember, Gase is not Shanahan running 45 plays out of the same formation They tend to be much more balanced and move their receivers around a lot more....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:00 AM   #70
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,407

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
I think its just for a little while too, but I really want Julius to smack Sherman a couple of times to start the game! Remember, Gase is not Shanahan running 45 plays out of the same formation They tend to be much more balanced and move their receivers around a lot more....
I'll bet Decker will do the lion's share of physically beating up Sherman on Sunday.

I just had to go through my PM box to dig out some more room and I've got:

2 dozen PMs of our in depth discussions and personal chit chat.

20-30 PMs from Taco either scolding me or regarding podcast

20-30 PMs about the book

10 about gambling

5-10 from lurkers

Hilarious miscellaneous messages like one time I had chat room mod privileges during a game so I kept booting TsiGuy because he was getting so mad over it so he sent me a PM asking WTF I was booting him from chat, and other fun stuff.

I dont want to erase any of it.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #71
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

The one point I hope Denver worked on is holding on to the ball after the catch/hand off. You know Seattle is going to be going for the strip bigtime.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #72
BroncosfanGuy
Luddite
 
BroncosfanGuy's Avatar
 
Big Fan

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,157

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Yeah neither would I. I'd love to see Elway make a hard play to nab him from Cleveland (contract year in 2014--yes, I'm watching him that closely)

I wouldn't begrudge anyone who said that about Sherman either and really do love his play and the person behind it.
I don't know. Sherman is obviously one of the premiere CBs, but i don't think he's asked to do some of the same things Champ (in past years), PP, Haden, or Revis have been asked to do. and he's surrounded by an absolute elite supporting cast that helps masks any deficiencies. I'm not trying to slight him because he's a fantastic CB, but I'd take Peterson, Haden, and Revis over Sherman without a second thought. not that my opinion matters on this one bit, but that's how i see it.
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:47 PM   #73
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,249

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Well Deion is saying Sherman is the best CB in the league on TV right now. I am guessing he just throws **** out there because he says you want a guy that you just line up on the number 1 WR. That isn't Sherman.
Deion says a lot of ****.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #74
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,249

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
That'll be good for a successful play or three, but if we start doing that regularly, they'll roll all coverage that way and there won't even any Manning-sized windows
If they roll coverage that way the three receivers on the other side will have favorable matchups.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #75
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Deion says a lot of ****.
I know he does so when referencing him as a source to support your argument doesn't carry much wieght.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Denver Broncos