The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 01:02 PM   #26
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Lol, so stats produced by Advanced NFL Stats or Football Outsiders or Football Perspective are "flawed", but a spreadsheet put together by a guy on the Mane isn't? You can't really be this obtuse, can you?

As for Sabermetrics, are you aware that many MLB organizations are now spending millions of dollars using such advanced metrics? Are they the "credulous fans" you're referring to?

We get it, you don't like stats you don't/can't/won't understand. But it would be great if you'd stop spewing your ignorance in every thread where they come up.
Some guy?! SOME GUY?!

I'll have you know I read every one of MHM's Myspace blogs AND BroncosWarrior taught me everything he knows!
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #27
Coldcity76
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I haven't "bought" anything from them. And nothing has been "debunked". Brian Burke destroyed and laughed in the face of the "debunking" I assume you're referring to.

Nobody here is calling these stats gospel, genius. But they're the best we've got, and better than any analysis you've brought to the table.
I just do not understand how you can support something so vehemently and not really know anything about it. I know you do not understand stats because you cannot even engage in a discussion about why using a multi-variant approach to study a football game is potentially flawed.

Look, you can believe whatever you want. Just donít go pushing on other people like its science or even a remotely acceptable academic discipline, - because it is not. Itís just a bunch of guys trying to use numbers to make you believe X is likely to occur. But numbers themselves do not get us to a conclusion and rather statistical interpretation is more about correct premises and valid reasoning than numbers. I could throw many site links at you claiming they have a formula for winning. In fact, Vegas are full of those guys and I bet you hear them on late night sports radio.
Coldcity76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #28
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
I just do not understand how you can support something so vehemently and not really know anything about it. I know you do not understand stats because you cannot even engage in a discussion about why using a multi-variant approach to study a football game is potentially flawed.

Look, you can believe whatever you want. Just donít go pushing on other people like its science or even a remotely acceptable academic discipline, - because it is not. Itís just a bunch of guys trying to use numbers to make you believe X is likely to occur. But numbers themselves do not get us to a conclusion and rather statistical interpretation is more about correct premises and valid reasoning than numbers. I could throw many site links at you claiming they have a formula for winning. In fact, Vegas are full of those guys and I bet you hear them on late night sports radio.
Yeah, don't go pushing your discussion points on a discussion board!
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #29
jdblack
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Well, you opened your account the exact same time when I disagreed with someone and suddenly jumped in to support their position. I mean really. Mods should ban this guy.....
I doubt your mods ban people for polite disagreement.

Have you read how FO generates their stats? The problems you point out seem to be more applicable to other statistical systems. FO analyzes each play individually, which allows them to provide football context. For example, gaining 4 on 3rd & 4 is graded much higher than gaining 4 on 3rd & 10.
jdblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #30
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

It's always nice to have your ignore list validated when someone on it gets owned as purely as they have here.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #31
CEH
Ring of Famer

Stats won't mean a thing

I think it will boil down to what Denver does on 1st and 2nd down. If they manage to stay in 3rd and 3 or less they will have great success

Get into 3rd and 6 or longer that favors the SEA defense
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #32
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
It would be interesting to see the results of your analysis so post it if you do it.

The notable thing about those FO stats is that they show that Denver's O, and Seattle's D, were great from start to finish. They also show that Seattle's O declined slightly at the end of the season, whereas Denver's D improved a good amount.
This is what I'm most interested in. The trend. Who really cares what our average was on D for the year. We lost 75% of our Defensive starters early on. It's taken all season to rebuild our starting lineup on the fly. We would have never survived this kind of decimation without having an Offense putting up Star Wars numbers.

IMO this should be the biggest story of the entire Super Bowl. How our D overcame everything they did to become a solid unit propelling us into the Super Bowl.

We entered the playoffs with only two preseason starters in their starting positions. How is this not a national storyline during Super Bowl week yet?
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #33
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
For sure.

Seattle was 0.7 ppg better than the next best defense.

Denver was 10.1 ppg better than the next best offense.
Seriously, that's a monumental difference. The Seahags are not even a full point better then the next best defense. WOW. And we are over 10 points better then the next offense.

Don't think we'll see many Seahag fans talking much in this post after this little nugget of info is shown. Good work.

ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #34
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
I haven't "bought" anything from them. And nothing has been "debunked". Brian Burke destroyed and laughed in the face of the "debunking" I assume you're referring to.

Nobody here is calling these stats gospel, genius. But they're the best we've got, and better than any analysis you've brought to the table.
You have absolutely zero understanding of the garbage "advanced stats" you constantly post. It's hilarious and kind of sad at the same time.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #35
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I just do not understand...
Clearly you don't, because you have your opinion and you won't open your eyes and mind to anything contrary to it. For example, you talk about how worthless advanced metrics are and then when I point out how professional sports organizations (particularly in baseball) are using them extensively and more and more frequently to gain competitive advantage you completely ignore it. As if you know more than them!

I'm not "pushing" anything on anyone. But these stats and metrics and just one of many ways to analyze sports and players. They aren't always right, and they aren't gospel. Nobody, including me, said they are. What they are, however, is objective. Unlike opinions like yours. They're also evidence based, unlike anything you've posted.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #36
jdblack
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Don't think we'll see many Seahag fans talking much in this post after this little nugget of info is shown. Good work.

Here is another post, and it proves you wrong!

But seriously, it would be a huge waste of time to try to out-stat another team's fan base. Stats rarely convince anyone, and are interpreted correctly even more rarely. Also, this thread has been more about collusion with the enemy than a fight with the enemy...I'm the only Seahawks fan who has posted, and I tried to help. If I must be negative, then: I hope my collusion makes someone feel dirty!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #37
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
Here is another post, and it proves you wrong!

But seriously, it would be a huge waste of time to try to out-stat another team's fan base. Stats rarely convince anyone, and are interpreted correctly even more rarely. Also, this thread has been more about collusion with the enemy than a fight with the enemy...I'm the only Seahawks fan who has posted, and I tried to help. If I must be negative, then: I hope my collusion makes someone feel dirty!
There's only 1 way to interpret the stat Rev put up. It simply is what it is. You can take any stats about TOP, Yards, Penalties, Turnovers, yada yada yada and spin them different ways. The ONLY stat that truly counts at the end of each game is the score. Your defense allowed a whopping .7 points less then the next best. That is a FACT and it has only 1 interpretation. Our offense has score 10.1 points more then the next offense. Again, simple fact.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #38
jdblack
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

By interpretation I mean using stats to show how they affect win/loss percentage in a hypothetically large sample size between the Seahawks & Broncos. That is much harder to do for many reasons. All you did was restate the stats; that's only an interpretation in the most legalistic sense.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #39
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Seriously, that's a monumental difference...
It is. But it's perhaps more useful to look at the overall picture, both O and D. Looking at the regular season only, Denver's point differential was 207 (NFL best) and Seattle's was 186 (2nd best). So, Denver won by an average of 12.9 points, Seattle by an average of 11.6 points. But, since there are more variables to analyze than just scoring, at the end of the day this really doesn't tell us all that much other than that Denver and Seattle are really good. Which is where the advanced metrics that that some people seem to hate so much, and be so afraid of, can come in to play.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #40
BroncsCheer
Scrappy, cerebral poster

There is no dark side on the moon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny T

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Well I just realized how long it would take to take all the numbers out and re-rank everyone.

I am on the last Dark Tower book and I will probably read all night.
Get that one done and beware the dandelo

Last edited by BroncsCheer; 01-23-2014 at 07:56 PM..
BroncsCheer is offline   Reply With Quote