The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
OldschoolFreak
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Enjoy This Folks...Regardless of Outcome, This is a Treat

All day today I've been thinking back on the season and I keep being overwhelmed with a sense of awe. Do you realize what we've had the pleasure of watching this season?

I won't make this about debating the merits of "all time great" claims for the offense (suffice to say it's in the conversation). BUT, I am convinced watching the surgeon with this group of receivers is special and something to be savored that might never be replicated. PMFM is the best QB to ever throw a football and this is the best cast of characters he has ever had surrounding him resulting in the penultimate execution of his craft.

It's not just their their individual skillsets and numbers and dominance, I'm talking about the chemistry and respect and sportsmanship and camaraderie too. TO, Ocho, Irvin, Keyshawn, Marvin H and many others have been great players in this league but also happened to be egotistical ***** whereas every one of the guys on this crew seems genuinely nice, not obsessed with personal accolades, and someone I would happily grab a beer with. What a joy to watch this machine churn out first down after first down as a completely synchronized unit. They've really achieved greatness as a unit--not individuals who had record setting seasons--that might never be matched.

Football is a crazy game and depending how things bounce, we might not even win this game but regardless of the outcome, this has been a wonderful ride and I thank 18 and his boys for taking me on it.

This article about the receiving corps is worth a read (a couple highlights:1-"they catch a ton of passes and get great yards after the catch. If you look at them, they play together and they root for each other. If one catches a big ball, the first one over there is the other receiver." 2-“It reminds me of backyard football. You had your group versus the other group — no matching jerseys — you’re just out there playing. That’s what these guys are playing like right now, and they’re having a lot of fun. It’s a good feeling to know that those guys are fighting for each other every single play.”):
http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/22/denver-...r-bowl-xlviii/

Last edited by OldschoolFreak; 01-23-2014 at 11:16 AM..
OldschoolFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Agreed, I am going to keep that in perspective. One of my best friends who is an enormous Ravens fan put it pretty well. "As a true fan of football, it doesn't get better than this right here."
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

It's definitely the best offense of all time. Anyone claiming otherwise is having a emotional response based off skewed memories.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I concur, I forgot how much fun it was to be in the SB.

It is amazing how many people here in IL have come up to me after seeing my Bronco gear and told me they want the Broncos to win.

Enjoying the next week and a half.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I've gone on several rival teams boards lately, not to post, just to guage how they are taking the Broncos being in the SB. The Chiefs are just a bunch of whiny haters but the Raider (I was shocked) and Charger fans, while not overly excited that Denver was there, expressed how much they enjoyed watching Peyton Manning play and were a little sorry he'd be retiring soon.

There's no doubt this is the greatest offense ever, nor that Manning is the GOAT. I never thought I'd say that. Now, I will say that Elway never had the abundance of talent that Manning has so that keeps him firmly entrenched right there with Manning and that isn't due to skewed memories. I never thought we'd experience anything close to having a player like Elway again and that was depressing. Manning and this team have been unbelievable this year and just like the Elway years, I will treasure this. How fortunate are we to be Bronco fans.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

We're definitely the country's popular choice except for the NW and NE (still bitter Patsies fans!)

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post...er-bowl-xlviii

Last edited by Greatspirits; 01-23-2014 at 12:18 PM..
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I've gone on several rival teams boards lately, not to post, just to guage how they are taking the Broncos being in the SB. The Chiefs are just a bunch of whiny haters but the Raider (I was shocked) and Charger fans, while not overly excited that Denver was there, expressed how much they enjoyed watching Peyton Manning play and were a little sorry he'd be retiring soon.

There's no doubt this is the greatest offense ever, nor that Manning is the GOAT. I never thought I'd say that. Now, I will say that Elway never had the abundance of talent that Manning has so that keeps him firmly entrenched right there with Manning and that isn't due to skewed memories. I never thought we'd experience anything close to having a player like Elway again and that was depressing. Manning and this team have been unbelievable this year and just like the Elway years, I will treasure this. How fortunate are we to be Bronco fans.
Of course the Chiefs are butt hurt. Their last playoff win is almost old enough to drink under Federal Law.

I agree OldSchool. I don't care if we win or not. These last years ahve been fun and I think we'll get two more
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Seattle1983
Solid Starter

cHawksBabyYa!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Its the greatest passing offense in the softest defensive era. Peyton Manning is one of the, if not the, greatest quarterbacks of all time though, in any era.
Seattle1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

This has been a great season.

The last 3 have been very memorable. It's been a great time to be a Bronco fan.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
This has been a great season.

The last 3 have been very memorable. It's been a great time to be a Bronco fan.
Agree. Despite some other franchises more recent (until next week ) penultimate success, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Lucky to be a Broncos fan.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Fully agree. Superbowls are hard to come by and need to be savored each time an appearance has been earned. Right now Dallas and Pittsburgh have the most Superbowl appearances and they both only have 8. No one team has more than 5 Superbowl wins. Ditka coached the Bears to one Superbowl victory almost 30 years ago and he is still revered as a God in Chicago. Its hard to get here. So, I'm going to enjoy it.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldschoolFreak View Post
All day today I've been thinking back on the season and I keep being overwhelmed with a sense of awe. Do you realize what we've had the pleasure of watching this season?

I won't make this about debating the merits of "all time great" claims for the offense (suffice to say it's in the conversation). BUT, I am convinced watching the surgeon with this group of receivers is special and something to be savored that might never be replicated. PMFM is the best QB to ever throw a football and this is the best cast of characters he has ever had surrounding him resulting in the penultimate execution of his craft.

It's not just their their individual skillsets and numbers and dominance, I'm talking about the chemistry and respect and sportsmanship and camaraderie too. TO, Ocho, Irvin, Keyshawn, Marvin H and many others have been great players in this league but also happened to be egotistical ***** whereas every one of the guys on this crew seems genuinely nice, not obsessed with personal accolades, and someone I would happily grab a beer with. What a joy to watch this machine churn out first down after first down as a completely synchronized unit. They've really achieved greatness as a unit--not individuals who had record setting seasons--that might never be matched.

Football is a crazy game and depending how things bounce, we might not even win this game but regardless of the outcome, this has been a wonderful ride and I thank 18 and his boys for taking me on it.

This article about the receiving corps is worth a read (a couple highlights:1-"they catch a ton of passes and get great yards after the catch. If you look at them, they play together and they root for each other. If one catches a big ball, the first one over there is the other receiver." 2-“It reminds me of backyard football. You had your group versus the other group — no matching jerseys — you’re just out there playing. That’s what these guys are playing like right now, and they’re having a lot of fun. It’s a good feeling to know that those guys are fighting for each other every single play.”):
http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/22/denver-...r-bowl-xlviii/
Great post OldSchool. I couldn't agree with you more!
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Fully agree. Superbowls are hard to come by and need to be savored each time an appearance has been earned. Right now Dallas and Pittsburgh have the most Superbowl appearances and they both only have 8. No one team has more than 5 Superbowl wins. Ditka coached the Bears to one Superbowl victory almost 30 years ago and he is still revered as a God in Chicago. Its hard to get here. So, I'm going to enjoy it.
Pittsburgh has 6 SB wins
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Agree. Despite some other franchises more recent (until next week ) penultimate success, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Lucky to be a Broncos fan.
You know what's scary,

I was born in Cleveland. My parents moved to Denver when I was 6. I was thisclose to growing up being a Browns fan.

I grew up in Denver. I grew up in the 80's/90's a Bronco fan. I am thankful to them for making that move for so many reasons.

I feel very luck to grow up in Denver, and grow up a Broncos fan.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #15
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Pittsburgh has 6 SB wins
Ugh, right. Apparently need to relearn how to count.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #16
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I will be HIGHLY disappointed if we lay an egg, but the season was fun to watch. People talk about the Tebow comebacks, but watching Surgeon Manning work is much more of a joy...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #17
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I really wish people here enjoyed the season more. There was such anxiety about things during the season - understandably so - about certain things that I think some didn't enjoy the Journey as much. The injuries, the Chiefs miraculous wins, the losses - all these things made people frustrated. But really those events were in fact tempering this team for this moment.

Win or lose, I am proud of this team, and very very grateful to have this opportunity for my home football team.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I really wish people here enjoyed the season more. There was such anxiety about things during the season - understandably so - about certain things that I think some didn't enjoy the Journey as much. The injuries, the Chiefs miraculous wins, the losses - all these things made people frustrated. But really those events were in fact tempering this team for this moment.

Win or lose, I am proud of this team, and very very grateful to have this opportunity for my home football team.
I agree with that. I'm sure they are hearing people talk about their talent, but they faced enough adversity to keep them emotionally grounded...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #19
yerner
Ring of Famer

this is loser talk.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #20
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
this is loser talk.
Everyone: "We should all appreciate this wonderful ride."

Yerner: "You're all losers!"

Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
OldschoolFreak
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle1983 View Post
Its the greatest passing offense in the softest defensive era. Peyton Manning is one of the, if not the, greatest quarterbacks of all time though, in any era.
...Whatever. Not surprised a hawks fan missed the point of the post. I absolutely disagree though and here's why it's not just Orange Glasses talking:

I hated #18 like no other out of pure jealousy simply because his greatness was so transcendent. After the 2003 and 2004 shellackings in the playoffs I was convinced he was a robot, not a human (Broncos fans will know what I'm talking about here). I pouted like a petulant child (though I was in my late 20s at the time) that his skills just weren't fair. I knew he was better than us (even though I loved Jake Plummer) and that we would never beat him.

I always rooted against him and was ecstatic when he threw the pick-6 against the Saints to seal their SB win. But even then, it wasn't out of Saints fanhood but out of pure jealousy. I knew he was the best and hated to admit it so I hoped that his legacy would be tainted by lack of championship success. But I knew enough about football to realize his relative lack of playoff success wasn't just on him, it simply came back to the fact that this is a team game unlike any other.

Ironically, I now realize the reason PMFM's Colts (and last year's Broncos) so often stumbled in the playoffs is precisely because of his dominance. Simply put, Manning is so good that his teams have historically used him as too much of a crutch to often make it through the tournament; they never developed the complete team synchronicity that is needed to win a SB (BTW, my sense and hope is that all the adversity this year will actually prove to be a positive because it forced the team to really come together in a way that never happened last year despite 18 crushing it all year). Pair him with BB's excellent scheming and NE's tough, complete defensive football team in 2003 and Manning would have won 5 straight SBs to game manager Brady's 3 in 4 years. (Need convincing evidence that Manning is actually a superior playoff QB to Brady? Read this excellent piece by Scott Kacsmar: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...january/23412/).

So yeah, it was hard and felt wrong when I had to start cheering for the weird looking forehead and the man who had caused Broncos fans so much agony but man oh, man was it worth it.

Regardless of SB rings, few fans get to not only witness but be a part of pure mastery of such an enjoyable craft to watch unfold. SF fans during the Montana/Young/Rice years, certainly the Colts fans all those years (even though they were incomplete football teams that sputtered out int he end most years), you could debate some more but the list is short. And now Broncos fans get to experience it too which is awesome.

Seriously, the cheesy cliche holds true: watching these past two seasons has been like watching Michelangelo paint the freakin Sistine Chapel!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #22
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Ditka is revered more for his playing days than his coaching. His coming back to coach duh bears was icing on the Iron Mike cake. He played on the 1963 NFL Champion team and then got Chicago it's next Championship in '85. Plus he had ties to Halas which upped his legend.

If he were just some coach who came in and won a SB he would be on par with Brian Billick. As far as his skill as an HC he wasn't an innovator, he is actually overrated in a Parcells type style. He has no coaching tree and the guys from that '85 squad who went into coaching all were on the D and Buddy Ryan guys. Guys like Fisher, Fraiser, Singletary, Plank.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #23
jdblack
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This should be an awesome game, totally stoked! Part of that is the fact that it's the Super Bowl, but even without that Manning vs. our secondary/scheme is fascinating. I'm looking forward to our regular season game next season too.
jdblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldschoolFreak View Post
Seriously, the cheesy cliche holds true: watching these past two seasons has been like watching Michelangelo paint the freakin Sistine Chapel!
This was the most glorious post in months...

Bask in it. Drink it in.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #25
OldschoolFreak
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Another great read from Kacsmar that supports my argument above...

"Manning is just trying to tie his younger brother Eli in Super Bowl rings, but it's the latter's 8-3 playoff record that many point to in saying little brother is the best big-game Manning. That's rubbish. When I see an 8-3 playoff record from a 10-year veteran, my first thought is "why doesn't he have more playoff losses?" No one's going to win the Super Bowl every year, but a truly great quarterback in this era can keep giving his team chances. The Giants have missed the playoffs in four of the last five seasons and Eli leads the league with 97 interceptions in that span. That playoff record will remain pristine when your team can't even get into the tournament. When the Giants haven't gone on their incredible Super Bowl runs, they are 0-3 in the playoffs under Eli and coach Tom Coughlin."

AND...

"A great quarterback should be consistent enough to give his team a shot to win every week and every season. I will take that any day over someone who might have a one-month hot streak every five years, yet it's an unbelievable grind to convince certain people what's actually better when the postseason is involved."

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...cks-postseason

Last edited by OldschoolFreak; 01-23-2014 at 02:11 PM..