The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Chris Clark Dominated Chandler Jones; Seattle Has No One Close To Jones' Talent

Chris Clark absolutely destroyed Chandler Jones, the physical specimen with the arm length of a pro basketball center, the athleticism comparable to Von Miller (also the brother of Rampage Jones of UFC fame, I think), and a huge year production wise with 11.5 sacks.

In 42 pass rush attempts against Clark in the AFC Championship game, Clark limited Jones to a pat on Peyton's non-throwing shoulder and one holding call. That's it.

If Clark plays like this against Seattle's pass rush threesome of Aviril, Bennett, and Clemons throughout the game, we win going away because Orlando Franklin is a top 3 RT in this league and will shut down the right side if his past performances are any indicator. Collectively, while the Seattle pass rush trio has talent, they are inferior individually to Chandler Jones.

Damn, Chris Clark, thank you so much, man.

Quote:
The No. 21 overall pick emerged with 11.5 sacks this year, and along with defensive end Rob Ninkovich, gave the Patriots pass-rushing threats on both sides of the defensive line.

Jones has been less of a sack threat in recent weeks; he has just one sack since his take-down of Peyton Manning in Week 12 pushed his season total to 10.5 sacks through 11 games. But Jones continues to generate pressure; he was credited with six quarterback hurries by ProFootballFocus.com in Week 17 against Buffalo.
Quote:
Jones was mostly a physical specimen (6-foot-5, 260 pounds) coming out of Syracuse University. His size and length made him very projectable to the NFL; many scouts thought that coaches could get the most out of a player with Jones’ potential.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
BroncoSojia
Go Broncos

Thanks Champ for the past 10 years

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bey Bey Thomas

I'm wondering, should we use him as trade-bait when Clady returns, or should we keep him as a backup?
BroncoSojia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSojia View Post
I'm wondering, should we use him as trade-bait when Clady returns, or should we keep him as a backup?
I'd prefer we move him to guard assuming we let Beadles walk. If we lose a tackle to injury we then shift him. Perfect situation honestly.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
pricejj
jungle

Chandler Jones is not a great player, nor a great pass-rusher. His stats are heavily inflated because NE plays in the AFC East (against 3 young QB's), and overall a very easy schedule.

Jones only had one sack in the last 7 games.

Every single year of his college and professional career, he starts out fast for the first half of the season then does nothing the rest of the year either due to injury or just wearing out.

Against the Broncos he looked uninspired, slow, skinny, and tired.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Sly_Eli
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lerentee McCray

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Chandler Jones is not a great player, nor a great pass-rusher. His stats are heavily inflated because NE plays in the AFC East (against 3 young QB's), and overall a very easy schedule.

Every single year of his college and professional career, he starts out fast for the first half of the season then does nothing the rest of the year either due to injury or just wearing out.

Jones had 3 sacks in the last 7 weeks of the regular season, including one against the broncos in week 12. Not to mention he didn't have much help at D-tackle to take some of the attention off of him. Clark and Franklin stepped up in a big way this weekend.
Sly_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
He's signed until 2015 for a reasonable price. We should keep him at least for another year, unless we get some crazy offer from someone desperate. Clady needs to prove he's completely healthy as well.
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl 49 champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kayvon Webster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppool View Post
He's signed until 2015 for a reasonable price. We should keep him at least for another year, unless we get some crazy offer from someone desperate. Clady needs to prove he's completely healthy as well.
+1

Depth on the O-line should be a high priority, IMO.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

You, my friend, are retarded. Straight up short bus, homey.

Let's just take a look at some of the other pro bowl DEs....

Chandler Jones 75 tackles 11.5 sacks (the sacks were fourth most by a DE)
Cameron Jordan 46 tackles 12.5 sacks...pro bowl
Mario Williams 34 tackles..13 sacks...pro bowl
Cameron Wake 35 tackles..8.5 sacks...pro bowl

Now I know sound logic doesn't work with you, so I don't hope for much here. I'm just gonna blame the American educational system on your post.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
I would think the Broncos move Franklin to guard if Beadles walks, Franklin would be quite the bulldozer on run blocking.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBen View Post
I would think the Broncos move Franklin to guard if Beadles walks, Franklin would be quite the bulldozer on run blocking.
I used to be a fan of moving Franklin to guard, but at this point he is as good as any RT in the league so a move makes little sense.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Can people stop saying use Clark as trade bait? Good lord. For what? A draft pick? You have his rights at a decent rate for a few years. Trade him for a 2nd round pick maybe? Land the next Tatum Bell or Richard Quinn? Play to win. It's also no guarantee that Clady comes back healthy and effective. You don't put Manning in a situation where he could get hurt like that. Not worth it.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Franklin is an UFA at the end of next season as well. I think we keep Clark for insurance against Clady's return from injury and depth.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Can people stop saying use Clark as trade bait? Good lord. For what? A draft pick? You have his rights at a decent rate for a few years. Trade him for a 2nd round pick maybe? Land the next Tatum Bell or Richard Quinn? Play to win. It's also no guarantee that Clady comes back healthy and effective. You don't put Manning in a situation where he could get hurt like that. Not worth it.
Completely agree. I'm more interested in seeing if Vinston Painter could successfully transfer to guard next year. He definitely has the size and athleticism to be a great pulling guard.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This situation........is a good one. Usually we are desperate to find depth and good Olineman.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I rewatched parts of the Seahag game, the 49ers have the better front 7 and the Seahags the better back 7.

Our OL has kept Manning clean all postseason if they keep him that clean in the SB I think we run away with it. Seahags are on par with kFc talent wise on O though Turbin is a good back and better depth than anything kFc has depth wise. Seahags WR talent is limited, as long as we don't lose anymore CB's to injury I think we can pressure Wilson with the front 4.

Manning should have time to pick apart the Seahag secondary. No mistakes and the SB is ours!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #16
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Eli View Post
Jones had 3 sacks in the last 7 weeks of the regular season, including one against the broncos in week 12. Not to mention he didn't have much help at D-tackle to take some of the attention off of him. Clark and Franklin stepped up in a big way this weekend.
Counting the playoffs, Jones had one sack in the last 7 games.

Bellicheat played the snot out of him (further proving his idiocy). Jones had 1284 snaps in the NFL this year (4th most), and disappeared throughout the 2nd half of the season.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Bull poop. Avril, Clemens, Bennett are all better pass rusher s than Chandler Jones. Irvin can even be argued. Clark did a great job but is going to have his hands full again.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #18
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

chandler jones is nice player for the Pats. It seemed like he spent most of the last two games in coverage.

The pats entire defense wasn't the same without Wilfork, Kelly and Spikes. They really could use some better players in the secondary.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #19
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Seattle finished tied for 8th with 44 sacks this year....but Denver had 41 at tenth.

Seattle tied for tenth most sacks allowed at 44. Denver allowed the fewest at 20. That's a 0 differential for Seattle and +24 for Denver.

Seattle also was able to get 25 of their 44 sacks on the road. That's more than 3 per road game. Now much of that is inflated because they had a game against the Cardinals where they sacked Palmer 7 times. So if you throw that game out as anomalous, they are still averaging over 2 sacks per game on the road. Whether it's coverage or a good rotation, the Hawks can pressure and sack their opponents. We're very good at protecting Manning, but this will be a challenge.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Seattle finished tied for 8th with 44 sacks this year....but Denver had 41 at tenth.

Seattle tied for tenth most sacks allowed at 44. Denver allowed the fewest at 20. That's a 0 differential for Seattle and +24 for Denver.

Seattle also was able to get 25 of their 44 sacks on the road. That's more than 3 per road game. Now much of that is inflated because they had a game against the Cardinals where they sacked Palmer 7 times. So if you throw that game out as anomalous, they are still averaging over 2 sacks per game on the road. Whether it's coverage or a good rotation, the Hawks can pressure and sack their opponents. We're very good at protecting Manning, but this will be a challenge.
It's volume. They don't have a Von Miller/Aldon Smith to dictate protections, but everyone in their front seven is pretty good at it.

It's effectively foregoing haymakers in favor of a dozen jabs.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #21
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:

Just over two sacks per game against mostly mediocre QBs/olines strikes you as a serious challenge for Manning and our oline?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #22
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:

Seattle has rang up all of 7 sacks the past four games. 3 total in the playoffs. They have capable guys that can rush the passer but Denver has a capable OL to take them out as they have with most other teams. Seattle will need a NYG type rush against Denver to knock them off pace.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #23
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
You, my friend, are retarded. Straight up short bus, homey.

Let's just take a look at some of the other pro bowl DEs....

Chandler Jones 75 tackles 11.5 sacks (the sacks were fourth most by a DE)
Cameron Jordan 46 tackles 12.5 sacks...pro bowl
Mario Williams 34 tackles..13 sacks...pro bowl
Cameron Wake 35 tackles..8.5 sacks...pro bowl

Now I know sound logic doesn't work with you, so I don't hope for much here. I'm just gonna blame the American educational system on your post.
I bet you think Rob Ninkovich is one of the best DE's in the NFL too, and no I aint your homey.

Ninkovich and Jones had the most defensive snaps of any DL players in the NFL this year. And both put up similar numbers.

Robert Ayers had a much greater impact on the AFCCG than either of those players. Why? Probably because he was much fresher. I guarantee you that if you give Robert Ayers 1284 snaps he would put up very similar numbers to Jones... And no one would confuse him with one of the best DE's in the NFL.

Last edited by pricejj; 01-21-2014 at 01:50 PM..
Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #24
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Against Philadelphia, team with the eighth most sacks, Peyton was sacked once.

Against Jacksonville, team the 2nd most sacks, Peyton was sacked ZERO times.

Against Oakland, twice, team tied with Seattle for sacks, Peyton was sacked twice total.

Against KC, twice, a team with Pro Bowl OLB rushing LBs, Peyton was sacked Zero times in two games. And with KC, their pass defense is better than Seattle's completion percentage against by a large margin. So despite great coverage downfield and two terror OLB raging on the OL, Peyton wasn't even touched.

So we have proven already with teams with great pass rushes is that they don't get to Peyton, at all. I don't see why Seattle should be any different.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #25
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I bet you think Rob Ninkovich is one of the best DE's in the NFL too, and no I aint your homey.

Ninkovich and Jones had the most defensive snaps of any DL players in the year this year. And both put up similar numbers.

Robert Ayers had a much greater impact on the AFCCG than either of those players. Why? Probably because he was much fresher. I guarantee you that if you give Robert Ayers 1284 snaps he would put up very similar numbers to Jones... And no one would confuse him with one of the best DE's in the NFL.
Down boy, down. If Ronnie Hillman rushed the ball 350 times, he would be the leagues leading rusher. If...if....if....