The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #26
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

In a way, Von's screw ups may be a benefit in a reflection of market value.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #27
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

I don't know. The more success we have the less likely I see Decker or Moreno leaving.
Decker is a great #2 & playing with Manning is hard to pass up.
Don't think either will command the contract most expect. Though it only takes one idiot team.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #28
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL-Eric View Post
Looking at Welker's salary he has an 8M cap hit next year but only 2M in dead money if we cut him. A 6M savings for a guy who's a concussion away from being done. I say keep him but you know it will be discussed among the brass. And they dont have to worry about him going back to the Pats lol
Imo, due to age & health Welker is expendable if you're looking for the long term.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #29
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Looking at Welker's salary he has an 8M cap hit next year but only 2M in dead money if we cut him. A 6M savings for a guy who's a concussion away from being done. I say keep him but you know it will be discussed among the brass. And they dont have to worry about him going back to the Pats lol
Saw something about his 2014 guarantee activating in March. To cut him before then, you'd have to have something worked out with Decker first.

Can't see them letting Welker go with Deck still on the market. And I don't see Deck being settled up by then (if at all, if he's chasing the $$$). Interesting to think about, anyway.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #30
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Imo, due to age & health Welker is expendable if you're looking for the long term.
It depends, if were pressed for cash, maybe. If guys start holding out and asking for raises. If we give long term deals to Deck, DRC, JT, Pot Roast, HArris and sign a top DE then yeah I could see him leaving.
ATL-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #31
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Decker says loyalty my ass ..... show me the money.

If we win the SB other teams will loot us like a natural disaster.
I think he leaves to a bigger market area because of his attention seeking wife.

I bet he's a Raider or a Dolphin next year.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #32
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

We should ask Peyton to make the decision to come back next season as early as possible, which would let Decker to sign for at least for a short term. Remember, this guy begged for Peyton's practice time, when he first signed with us.
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #33
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Saw something about his 2014 guarantee activating in March. To cut him before then, you'd have to have something worked out with Decker first.

Can't see them letting Welker go with Deck still on the market. And I don't see Deck being settled up by then (if at all, if he's chasing the $$$). Interesting to think about, anyway.
If Deck doesnt get signed early then he's probably gone. As mentioned earlier, theres a handful of teams with tons of cap space. We'll try to sign him, then consider the tag, then if he's not tagged he's gone IMO

Last edited by ATL-Eric; 01-21-2014 at 09:22 AM..
Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #34
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppool View Post
We should ask Peyton to make the decision to come back next season as early as possible, which would let Decker to sign for at least for a short term. Remember, this guy begged for Peyton's practice time, when he first signed with us.
This isn't even really a question. Barring some kind of medical surprise, he's coming back.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #35
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
It depends, if were pressed for cash, maybe. If guys start holding out and asking for raises. If we give long term deals to Deck, DRC, JT, Pot Roast, HArris and sign a top DE then yeah I could see him leaving.
I like having a little cash to work with. I don't like being tied up with assets. Especially assets that have a declining roi.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #36
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I like having a little cash to work with. I don't like being tied up with assets. Especially assets that have a declining roi.
Elway will have to have alot of balls to break up this offense. If Know, Decker and Welker all leave people wont be happy
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #37
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
In a way, Von's screw ups may be a benefit in a reflection of market value.
His screw ups and now injury may make the long-term deal much less attractive for Elway and Co. Thinner Von, two years ago Von no brainer. Heavier Von, off the field issue and now ACL tear.... I would not be suprised if Elway was reluctant to outbid someone.
B-Large is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #38
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
His screw ups and now injury may make the long-term deal much less attractive for Elway and Co. Thinner Von, two years ago Von no brainer. Heavier Von, off the field issue and now ACL tear.... I would not be suprised if Elway was reluctant to outbid someone.
Unless Von has another 2013-sized disappointment next year, I'm 80% sure we'll be tagging him.

Which makes getting DT a long term deal well before then even more important.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:39 AM   #39
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
If Deck doesnt get signed early then he's probably gone. As mentioned earlier, theres a handful of teams with tons of cap space. We'll try to sign him, then consider the tag, then if he's not tagged he's gone IMO
I don't think we can tag Decker in the name of saving cap space. The 2014 hit for the WR tag would undoubtedly be higher than what we'd have to pay to ink him longer-term.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #40
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Elway will have to have alot of balls to break up this offense. If Know, Decker and Welker all leave people wont be happy
I would give welkers $ to my younger core players.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #41
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

The only thing that matters in this league is having an elite qb. You have one, you have a chance.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #42
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
Elway won't walk away empty handed if it were to come to that. I think he stays, but it's a better deal for the broncos.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #43
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I don't think we can tag Decker in the name of saving cap space. The 2014 hit for the WR tag would undoubtedly be higher than what we'd have to pay to ink him longer-term.
I never said that. The 11.5 TAG hit would be a major burden. I honestly dont know whats going to happen. If Elway decides he wont pursue many Free Agents and he's going to wait until next season to address JT and DT then I could see us Tagging Deck. Does Elway decide to go all in for a repeat?? I think the prospect of having Deck, JT, DT, and Welker all playing on 1 yr deals is dangerous. But then again, guys work harder when theyre playing for a contract. It should also be noted that Denver will have no trouble recruiting Free Agents to play here.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #44
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
The only thing that matters in this league is having an elite qb. You have one, you have a chance.
Er, I like our Executives and Coaches
Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #45
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Elway won't walk away empty handed if it were to come to that. I think he stays, but it's a better deal for the broncos.
I'm assuming Von will be in Denver all off-season so Elway and staff are going to get an up close look at how committed Von is to getting better
Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #46
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I never said that. The 11.5 TAG hit would be a major burden. I honestly dont know whats going to happen. If Elway decides he wont pursue many Free Agents and he's going to wait until next season to address JT and DT then I could see us Tagging Deck. Does Elway decide to go all in for a repeat?? I think the prospect of having Deck, JT, DT, and Welker all playing on 1 yr deals is dangerous. But then again, guys work harder when theyre playing for a contract. It should also be noted that Denver will have no trouble recruiting Free Agents to play here.
I think we work out a long term deal with DT and JT in the offseason, then lose either Decker or Welker based on what Decker's looking for.

Hope against hope that Decker wants to stay here and make a deal work that keeps all 4 horsemen here. Not sure why, but the GQ maternity shoot gave me the feeling that's probably not in the cards.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #47
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

IMO Deck is gone, he's going to get $10M/per+ and we just won't be able to afford it. Restructure or retire champ and we've got change to keep the crits.
rmsanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #48
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Decker's gonna win SBMVP and sign in oakland for about $15m.
mwill07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #49
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I think we work out a long term deal with DT and JT in the offseason, then lose either Decker or Welker based on what Decker's looking for.

Hope against hope that Decker wants to stay here and make a deal work that keeps all 4 horsemen here. Not sure why, but the GQ maternity shoot gave me the feeling that's probably not in the cards.
Deck will take the most money and who's going to blame him? He should get 7-9M a season. The issue is, if we give Deck that money we almost have to do the same for JT and DT, which we probably cant. The top payed WR duo's in the league by avg salary are Boldin 6M/ Crabtree 5.7M and Garcon 8.1M/ J Morgan 5.1M. Also add in Vernon Davis to SF for 7.3M. SF would be in cap hell if Kaep held out.

How sweet would it be if we could give Deck and DT identical contracts at about 7M a year? Let JT prove it one more year and probably cut Welker.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #50
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Yea, wives that crave the spotlight & Denver are oil & water.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote