The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #151
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
You're right, I can't believe these same people being negative Nancies when we played SD, and NE now getting all cocky and ****.
About some little respect to our opponents so we don't get crushed and beaten for being over confident?
Umm, nobody on the OM is playing in the SB...who cares if they're "over confident"?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #152
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Let's be fair. We were talking about Brokeneck Rent-a-Manning at the time.
...yeah, but you clowns still stood your ground defending the throwing neaderthal despite released video of Manning throwing the ball very well at Duke, and medical clearance by his doctor and the Colts doctor, and after private workouts with interested teams. You clowns stood by takes even after Manning signed.....but thanks for playing
Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #153
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrobinson View Post

The Seahawks won the toughest division in the NFL. The Chiefs finished second in the second toughest division.

umm, the Broncos won the AFC West which had three teams make the playoffs
Old 01-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #154
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Umm
Quote:
clowns
Quote:
umm
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #155
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
Any elite QB's with an offense averaging 37.9 points per game on those teams?
I dunno....would you consider Elway, Marino, Staubach and Montana elite? I would. Keep in mind the rules didn't allow QB's to throw for 4-5 TD's per game back then either.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #156
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
I keep hearing that Seattle's defense isn't as good as advertised because of who they have played. On the flip side, Seattle's offense is better than everybody thinks. First, Lynch always plays better in the postseason. Second, they have played 7 games this year against top 5 defenses. That may be a record. The Broncos haven't play any top 5 defenses yet.
Are those D's rated that high because they played Seattle's offense 2x?
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #157
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Are those D's rated that high because they played Seattle's offense 2x?
It's not any different than the offenses that played Seattle's defense being rated lower.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:47 PM   #158
rsrobinson
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcity76 View Post
You forgot to mention the seahawks defense played against offenses that ranked 20th and 19th in the league every week. See for yourself at NFL.com stats page and average out those defense rankings:

yards/points

1) 49ers = 24th, 11th X2
2) Texans = 11th, 31st
3) Saints = 4th, 10th
4) Jaguars = 31st, 32nd
5) Rams = 30th, 21st X2
6) Panthers, 26th, 18th
7) Titans = 22nd, 19th
8) Cardinals = 12th, 16th X2
9) Falcons = 14th, 20th
10) Vikings, 13th, 14th
11) Bucs, 32nd, 30th
12) Colts 15th, 14th
13) Giants = 28th, 28th
Yes, and the Broncos have the lowest rated defense the Seahawks have faced in over two months.
rsrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #159
TripleTilde
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yes, and the Broncos have the lowest rated defense the Seahawks have faced in over two months.
So you were just lurking and decided to create an account to debate on behalf of the Seahawks while remembering you're at a Broncos message board?

Btw, you should consider whether youre cherry picking stats. More specifically, you should consider whether you're referencing the proper relevant range.

Last edited by TripleTilde; 01-21-2014 at 07:53 PM..
TripleTilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #160
rsrobinson
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTilde View Post
So you were just lurking and decided to create an account to debate on behalf of the Seahawks while remembering you're at a Broncos message board?

Btw, you should consider whether youre cherry picking stats. More specifically, you should consider whether you're referencing the proper relevant range.
You're not interested in debate?

And the stats I was using were the exact same stats as the poster I was responding to...yards/points. By those metrics the Broncos are the lowest rated defense the Seahawks have faced since Nov. 17 against the Vikings. If this is wrong feel free to correct it.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #161
Keira's Lip Balm
Solid Starter

Sup

Quote:
You have to keep in mind a couple things, though. Denver's offense was so efficient that the fourth quarter was often garbage time for the opposition. That's gonna inflate the PPG metric, and it makes me think Denver is better than their #19 ranking. Also, Denver's rush defense is tied for seventh with both Seattle and SF at 3.9 yards/attempt. This pits Seattle's strength on offense against Denver's strength on defense. Denver played a tougher gaggle of rushing opponents than Seattle did, too.

It's interesting (to me at least) that Denver outscored Seattle by ~10 PPG on offense (37.9 to 26.1) and Seattle played better defense by a margin of ~10 PPG (14.4 to 24.9). Denver's defense played tougher offensive opponents, and Seattle's offense played tougher defensive opponents.

It's also plausible that, like Denver's offense inflated their defensive numbers, Seattle's defense deflated their offensive numbers, as having such a solid group can deter risk on the other side of the ball. Instead of long FG or fourth-down attempts, you're probably more likely to punt the ball away and let your defense stymie 'em.
Keira's Lip Balm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #162
Keira's Lip Balm
Solid Starter

Sup

With the teams so evenly matched, gimme one of the, if not the, GOAT to get it done for the Broncos. I think Russell Wilson is gonna be a great QB in the league for a long time, but this is PFM's year, baby.
Keira's Lip Balm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #163
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
...yeah, but you clowns still stood your ground defending the throwing neaderthal despite released video of Manning throwing the ball very well at Duke, and medical clearance by his doctor and the Colts doctor, and after private workouts with interested teams. You clowns stood by takes even after Manning signed.....but thanks for playing
Didn't mean to reignite debate with the Orton fanclub. Just pointing out that it wasn't nearly so cut and dried at that moment as it seems in hindsight. Just ask Gary Kubiak.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #164
TripleTilde
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

And the stats I was using were the exact same stats as the poster I was responding to...yards/points. By those metrics the Broncos are the lowest rated defense the Seahawks have faced since Nov. 17 against the Vikings. If this is wrong feel free to correct it.

I'm wondering why you didn't directly address my questions. Was the contents of my post hard to understand?

I mention relevant range because Denver's defense tightened up later in the season. And even more recent than that, they're been particularly strong in the playoffs. You could argue small sample size but, I ask you, which has greater relevance, the first two weeks of the season or the most recent two weeks. So you're relevant range that you're amassing stats can be problematic at times.

Additionally, Denver has played most of the top passing QBs in the NFL during the season. Thus skews the data. It's easier to amass yards by passing.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #165
rsrobinson
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keira's Lip Balm View Post
You have to keep in mind a couple things, though. Denver's offense was so efficient that the fourth quarter was often garbage time for the opposition. That's gonna inflate the PPG metric, and it makes me think Denver is better than their #19 ranking. Also, Denver's rush defense is tied for seventh with both Seattle and SF at 3.9 yards/attempt. This pits Seattle's strength on offense against Denver's strength on defense. Denver played a tougher gaggle of rushing opponents than Seattle did, too.

It's interesting (to me at least) that Denver outscored Seattle by ~10 PPG on offense (37.9 to 26.1) and Seattle played better defense by a margin of ~10 PPG (14.4 to 24.9). Denver's defense played tougher offensive opponents, and Seattle's offense played tougher defensive opponents.

It's also plausible that, like Denver's offense inflated their defensive numbers, Seattle's defense deflated their offensive numbers, as having such a solid group can deter risk on the other side of the ball. Instead of long FG or fourth-down attempts, you're probably more likely to punt the ball away and let your defense stymie 'em.
I'd agree with that. Pete Carroll is willing to play a conservative, field position battle at times believing the Seahawks will ultimately win that battle which can deflate offensive numbers. That was definitely the case in the Saints game in the second half when he played it safe during monsoon-like weather conditions which probably helped keep the Saints in the game. Against Manning and the Broncos I suspect he'll open up the playbook more, especially if Harvin plays.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #166
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:

The Broncos held Tom Brady and the Patriots to 16 points and Phillip Rivers and the Chargers to 17 in back to back games, excuse me if Russell Wilson and the Seahags offense doesn't strike fear in my heart. Lynch will be the focus, take him out of the game and I welcome giving the ball to Wilson and letting him have a go at our defense.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #167
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
The Broncos held Tom Brady and the Patriots to 16 points and Phillip Rivers and the Chargers to 17 in back to back games, excuse me if Russell Wilson and the Seahags offense doesn't strike fear in my heart. Lynch will be the focus, take him out of the game and I welcome giving the ball to Wilson and letting him have a go at our defense.
Exactly.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #168
rsrobinson
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTilde View Post
I'm wondering why you didn't directly address my questions. Was the contents of my post hard to understand?

I mention relevant range because Denver's defense tightened up later in the season. And even more recent than that, they're been particularly strong in the playoffs. You could argue small sample size but, I ask you, which has greater relevance, the first two weeks of the season or the most recent two weeks. So you're relevant range that you're amassing stats can be problematic at times.

Additionally, Denver has played most of the top passing QBs in the NFL during the season. Thus skews the data. It's easier to amass yards by passing.
So what you're saying is that when a poster uses full season stats to support his argument that's relevant but when I use the exact same stats that's not relevant?

I'm willing to concede that the Broncos defense has played better recently but teams the Seahawks have recently faced like the 49ers, Saints, and Cardinals have played significantly better defense than the Broncos throughout the season, beginning to end.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #169
TripleTilde
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So what you're saying is that when a poster uses full season stats to support his argument that's relevant but when I use the exact same stats that's not relevant?

I'm willing to concede that the Broncos defense has played better recently but teams the Seahawks have recently faced like the 49ers, Saints, and Cardinals have played significantly better defense than the Broncos throughout the season, beginning to end.
I thought my point was clearly stated. I'm not sure why it requires a question, even if it's rhetorical. Try to keep up.

It should also be pointed out that, over the season, Denver played against more QBs that accumulate passing yards, which skews defensive ratings.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #170
rsrobinson
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
umm, the Broncos won the AFC West which had three teams make the playoffs
The overall record of the NFC West was 42 - 22 compared to 37 - 27 for the AFC West. The NFC West was 30 - 10 against outside competition compared to 25 - 15. San Diego's 9 - 7 record would have put them in 4th place in the NFC West.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #171
TripleTilde
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The overall record of the NFC West was 42 - 22 compared to 37 - 27 for the AFC West. The NFC West was 30 - 10 against outside competition compared to 25 - 15. San Diego's 9 - 7 record would have put them in 4th place in the NFC West.
San Diego in the west would have hurt your defensive stats against the pass. Rivers is a better passing QB than Kellen Clemens.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #172
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
So, the guy who voted to keep Tebow over Manning is calling someone else a "football retard"?!? Lol! Good stuff as always, Ag. Keep 'em coming! I love me some unintentional comedy. And please, some more of your anecdotal football wisdom! I want some more stories about this dominant KC offense! Lol!
I thought Manning was done. Reports about him losing strength and feeling in his arm made me pessimistic. But good job trying to change the subject. Also I never said KC's offense is dominant. Not sure where you got that.

Oh and yes, you are a football retard. All you ever do is post stats without any understanding of what they mean. It's kind of painful honestly.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #173
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
I'd agree with that. Pete Carroll is willing to play a conservative, field position battle at times believing the Seahawks will ultimately win that battle which can deflate offensive numbers. That was definitely the case in the Saints game in the second half when he played it safe during monsoon-like weather conditions which probably helped keep the Saints in the game. Against Manning and the Broncos I suspect he'll open up the playbook more, especially if Harvin plays.
Good luck with that. You need weapons to open things up.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #174
Seattle1983
Solid Starter

cHawksBabyYa!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Just saying hello... All I have to say to the OP is...

Seattle1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #175
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Seattle needs to play small ball to keep their defense in the game. If Denver gets a 14-0, 17-3 lead going into half it will be very hard for Seattle to overcome it. Especially since their defense will not be as aggressive as it would like to be. At that point curls and slants and draws will eat up the space Seattle's defense will give up.

Of course it is the superbowl, so anything could happen, and probably will.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote