The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #101
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,262

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Wilson > Smith
Lynch < Charles
SEA WR's/TE < KC WR's/TE
SEA OL < KC OL

QB makes a lot of difference but KC had better talent on offense IMO. Wilson will push our defense in a much different way. He looks to make plays which could be a boom or bust proposition. With that defense behind him, it often bails him out of bad decisions. Smith looks to play the efficient game which makes him predictable on 3rd down. Force him to throw the ball underneath and he will.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #102
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,262

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
There has been 4 Super Bowls where the top offense faced the the top defense. The top defense won 3 out of the four.
I'm too lazy to look this up... which games?
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #103
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
KC had better talent on offense IMO.
Maybe. But yards per game, and the advanced metrics from guys at both Advanced NFL Stats and Football Outsiders, suggest that Seattle had the better offense than KC.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #104
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,379

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

I don't discuss football with retards who use meaningless "advanced" statistics.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #105
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I don't discuss football with retards who use meaningless "advanced" statistics.
Lazy post followed by a lazy post. Come on, explain for everyone how KC's offense is better? When you look at yards per game Seattle was better. KC had slightly more passing yards, Seattle had more rushing yards. Points scored KC had a very small edge. But you have to look beyond those stats at the advanced metrics which suggest that Seattle's O was considerably more efficient. Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it wrong. Believe me, Brian Burke is a very well respected statistician and I think most people are going to take his word over yours.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #106
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,262

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Maybe. But yards per game, and the advanced metrics from guys at both Advanced NFL Stats and Football Outsiders, suggest that Seattle had the better offense than KC.
Again, I think they had the better QB and that makes a huge difference. Just my opinion though.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #107
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,754

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
There is definitely more than one way to do it.

You could always just try to keep him in the pocket and force him to beat you with his arm. It will be interesting to see what Fox and JDR come up with, and see how they attack him and that offense.
I feel like it'll be similar with what they did when we played the Raiders and Pryor. People were wondering why we were getting any pressure when it was clear, at least to me, that we were playing contain on obvious passing downs forcing him to beat us with his arm.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #108
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 7,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I'm too lazy to look this up... which games?
I think I heard Bills-Giants was the last time.

Super Bowl XXV 1990 season.

Last edited by WolfpackGuy; 01-21-2014 at 12:48 PM..
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #109
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,379

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Lazy post followed by a lazy post. Come on, explain for everyone how KC's offense is better? When you look at yards per game Seattle was better. KC had slightly more passing yards, Seattle had more rushing yards. Points scored KC had a very small edge. But you have to look beyond those stats at the advanced metrics which suggest that Seattle's O was considerably more efficient. Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it wrong. Believe me, Brian Burke is a very well respected statistician and I think most people are going to take his word over yours.
Have you actually watched both teams play last few months? If you had and knew anything about football you would know that KC's offense is much better right now. Seattle's offense steadily declined over the past few months and KC's offense steadily improved over the same time frame. But keep referencing "advanced statistics" all you want. Talk about lazy posts...
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #110
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,754

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Have you actually watched both teams play last few months? If you had and knew anything about football you would know that KC's offense is much better right now. Seattle's offense steadily declined over the past few months and KC's offense steadily improved over the same time frame. But keep referencing "advanced statistics" all you want. Talk about lazy posts...
I have to agree with this. Seattle's O has been average at best the past month and change.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #111
HoustonBroncosFan
Braccae tuae aperiuntur
 
HoustonBroncosFan's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 50

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
I think I heard Bills-Giants was the last time.

Super Bowl XXV 1990 season.
Yep. Bills were 10 point favorites. Giants held the ball for 40 minutes. I lost a lot of money on that game. If that game were held today, they'd be flagging the G defense for hits on defenseless receivers and holding on every play....a bit of an exaggeration, I know.
HoustonBroncosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #112
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,530
Default

Seattle's offense hasn't looked very overwhelming. Wilson has looked spotty and inconsistent, but also making beautiful plays here and there. Lynch is a beast though.

It will be interesting to see how much Percy Harvin will be a factor. Will he be up to speed?

Their OL has widely been talked down.

There were a couple of games this year that if it wasn't for their defense, they would've lost due to their offense shortages.
@ Houston, @ St. Louis are the 2 most that come to mind.

If we can continue to be successful stuffing the run, and hold our ground limiting Lynch, that will put their offense in a tough spot to have to convert passing the ball a majority of the time.

Also, our offense needs to score in the red zone.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #113
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBeavis's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4,359

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Seattle's offense hasn't looked very overwhelming. Wilson has looked spotty and inconsistent, but also making beautiful plays here and there. Lynch is a beast though.

It will be interesting to see how much Percy Harvin will be a factor. Will he be up to speed?

Their OL has widely been talked down.

There were a couple of games this year that if it wasn't for their defense, they would've lost due to their offense shortages.
@ Houston, @ St. Louis are the 2 most that come to mind.

If we can continue to be successful stuffing the run, and hold our ground limiting Lynch, that will put their offense in a tough spot to have to convert passing the ball a majority of the time.

Also, our offense needs to score in the red zone.
Our gameplan should be roughly the opposite of the one vs the Pats. Make RW and Lynch nickel and dime you, Wait for a mistake to derail a drive. Just don't give up the big one.
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #114
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Have you actually watched both teams play last few months? If you had and knew anything about football you would know that KC's offense is much better right now. Seattle's offense steadily declined over the past few months and KC's offense steadily improved over the same time frame. But keep referencing "advanced statistics" all you want. Talk about lazy posts...
You called my post nonsense but have brought nothing of any substance to the table to back up your contrary opinion. Statistics support my view, your casual observations support yours. Next time I would suggest you say you disagree and state why rather than using an ad hominem.

Last edited by TonyR; 01-21-2014 at 02:05 PM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #115
Keira's Lip Balm
Solid Starter
 
Keira's Lip Balm's Avatar
 
Sup

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Plano
Posts: 226
Default

Seattle does exactly what I'd do if I had their defense. Their offense needs to consume time, avoid turnovers and get lucky 2-3 times per game. They've a strong chance to win, even against us, with no more than that. With the time-consuming aspect manifest in Lynch's brawny rushing style, our front seven really have no choice but to get sucked into defending it. Wilson is quick enough to get outside and, as has been noted, cool enough to keep his eyes looking for one of those lucky shots downfield. We all know what those bootlegs look like from the Shanahan days, except this is Plummer with a very tough defense. And a wife who isn't as attractive.

I think our defensive front is playing with a lot of confidence at the moment, and will be a match for the Seahawks rushing attack. That's remarkable considering the injuries this year, and a testament to JDR's acumen everywhere other than the 8:00 mark in the fourth quarter. Wilson will have to try to make some plays, because their defense should be pressured like they never have been before. This isn't an unusual predicament for Seattle, as they've pretty much relied on that formula all year long and it's obviously gotten them to the Big Dance. I dunno how you mitigate the damage Wilson does outside the pocket those 2-3 plays per game. Does the Pot Roast get too hot for an underwhelming Seattle O-Line to handle? If a dominant performance up front affords the Broncos a spy (I think Trevathan is an excellent suggestion) on Russell, that'd be huge. Otherwise, a performance for the ages from someone in the Denver secondary (Champ?) would have to materialize some way, somehow.

Though our regular season defense was #19 overall, we're closer in YPG to #5 San Francisco than San Francisco is to #1 Seattle. And our rush defense is actually tied with Seattle for seventh-best in the league. Both the Whaleginas and the Cheaters have superior offenses IMO, offenses which Denver handled admirably, and I think Seattle will have more difficulty moving the ball than they think.

My money would be on the Denver offense putting up what they have all postseason, which is about 24 points. That's on a balmy, dry (so it doesn't ruin your spray tan) 39 degree evening in New Joisey. Seattle's opponents this season are a roll-call of the league's bottom-feeding offenses: Jags (#32), Texans (#31), Bucs (#30), Giants (#28), Rams (#21), Falcons (#20), Titans (#19), Panthers (#18) and Cards (#16). With them playing both the Rams and Cardinals twice, that's a significant portion of their schedule against opponents who might take three full seasons to throw 55 TDs. Denver's is much more top-heavy with them playing four of the top six offenses in the league in NE (#3), Philly (#4), Dallas (#5) and Queefs (#6). Of course, the direction of causality is debatable: Are Seattle's opponents terrible on offense because they played Seattle's great defense? Or is it the other way around?

Whatever the case, the contours of this matchup suggest to me an underrated Denver defense and an offense unlike what the Seahags have ever seen before. I think they pressure Wilson into some blunders and Champ Bailey plays a helluva game in his first Super Bowl.
Keira's Lip Balm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #116
peacepipe
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,355

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I'm too lazy to look this up... which games?
1978 cowboys vs steelers
1984 dolphins vs 49ers
1989 49ers vs broncos
1990 bills vs giants
Teams listed on right had top defense,teams listed on left had top offense,and the teams in bold won.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #117
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoBen's Avatar
 
Go Broncos !!

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
Ok, well why aren't they then? I didn't say that the Broncos shouldn't take Seattle seriously, but I do think Denver has played a similar style of opposition in KC.
I agree.. I don't think either team is underestimating anything. But its funny to me to hear how the the Broncos haven't played a defense as good as the Seahawks... ah, excuse me, I thought the Chiefs Defense was the best in the league at one time. Didn't the Broncos sweep them this year ?

The Broncos will just go with a up tempo offense, and not allow the Seattle to substitute which is what the defense does, cause they have depth.

Seattle's front 7 will keep trying to rush Manning, and he will shred them, dink and dunk up the field all day.

The Broncos showed they can run 7 minute drives and eat up the clock, they just need to finish and score TDs.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #118
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,262

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
I think I heard Bills-Giants was the last time.

Super Bowl XXV 1990 season.
And that should have been a Bills victory but whatever.

Bill Parcells > Pete Carroll, not close either.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #119
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,379

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
You called my post nonsense but have brought nothing of any substance to the table to back up your contrary opinion. Statistics support my view, your casual observations support yours. Next time I would suggest you say you disagree and state why rather than using an ad hominem.
Statistics only support your view when you remove the context and use season stats rather than actually looking at recent games. Why is it that all your takes are based on stats anyway? Is it because you can't watch games and form actual opinions using your own eyes?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #120
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 38,248

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
After listening to some of the preliminary Super Bowl chatter, the one universal theme from the media is that Seattle should beat the Broncos because great defense ALWAYS trumps great offense. (Setting aside that the Seahawks do have the best scoring defense in the league,verses our offense which is the greatest scoring offense in the HISTORY of the league) Why is it, I feel like I've already heard this cliché at noisome already this season? Is this comparison valid? Because in my humble opinion both teams seem built very similar with low-scoring, run-first offenses, and opportunistic defenses.
Yep I think they are a way better version of kFc but built sort of the same way. They have only one weapon on O and he is at RB, the QB is streaky and not accurate down field (but better than Smith). Seahawks pass rush is just a notch under kFc's (kFc's pass rush is OVERRATED) but their back 7 is the strength of the team.

I like Denver being able to stop the run and as long as our CB's don't go down I think we can cover their passing game.

If Manning has time to throw and we can run enough to keep them honest we got this.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #121
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,908

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Are the Seahawks just the NFC version of the Chiefs?

No, they are not.

The Broncos better take them very seriously because they promise to be a highly motivated opponent.
You're right, I can't believe these same people being negative Nancies when we played SD, and NE now getting all cocky and ****.
About some little respect to our opponents so we don't get crushed and beaten for being over confident?
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #122
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,379

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafen View Post
You're right, I can't believe these same people being negative Nancies when we played SD, and NE now getting all cocky and ****.
About some little respect to our opponents so we don't get crushed and beaten for being over confident?
I wasn't aware that posters on the OM are playing in the game.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #123
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Statistics only support your view when you remove the context and use season stats rather than actually looking at recent games.
Lol! So, using your logic, the Broncos offense also isn't very good because it's scored under its regular season average in 5 straight games now, right?!?

And what about KC's offense has you so impressed? Is it because they put up all those points in that weird playoff game against Indy when neither team could stop the other and Indy's DB's were limping around the field? Or is the big numbers they put up against awful Oakland and Washington teams late in the season that had clearly quit? Are those the games that have you so convinced that KC's offense is better than Seattle's?

Look, I'm not crowning Seattle's offense. Offense isn't their strength. But it's certainly not a stretch to say their O is better than KC's. At worst their O is about on par with KC's. Which would mean, in other words, that an opinion that Seattle's offense is better isn't "nonsense". And that you should come up with something to back up an opinion that it is or move on.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #124
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 14,262

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keira's Lip Balm View Post
Seattle does exactly what I'd do if I had their defense. Their offense needs to consume time, avoid turnovers and get lucky 2-3 times per game. They've a strong chance to win, even against us, with no more than that. With the time-consuming aspect manifest in Lynch's brawny rushing style, our front seven really have no choice but to get sucked into defending it. Wilson is quick enough to get outside and, as has been noted, cool enough to keep his eyes looking for one of those lucky shots downfield. We all know what those bootlegs look like from the Shanahan days, except this is Plummer with a very tough defense. And a wife who isn't as attractive.

I think our defensive front is playing with a lot of confidence at the moment, and will be a match for the Seahawks rushing attack. That's remarkable considering the injuries this year, and a testament to JDR's acumen everywhere other than the 8:00 mark in the fourth quarter. Wilson will have to try to make some plays, because their defense should be pressured like they never have been before. This isn't an unusual predicament for Seattle, as they've pretty much relied on that formula all year long and it's obviously gotten them to the Big Dance. I dunno how you mitigate the damage Wilson does outside the pocket those 2-3 plays per game. Does the Pot Roast get too hot for an underwhelming Seattle O-Line to handle? If a dominant performance up front affords the Broncos a spy (I think Trevathan is an excellent suggestion) on Russell, that'd be huge. Otherwise, a performance for the ages from someone in the Denver secondary (Champ?) would have to materialize some way, somehow.

Though our regular season defense was #19 overall, we're closer in YPG to #5 San Francisco than San Francisco is to #1 Seattle. And our rush defense is actually tied with Seattle for seventh-best in the league. Both the Whaleginas and the Cheaters have superior offenses IMO, offenses which Denver handled admirably, and I think Seattle will have more difficulty moving the ball than they think.

My money would be on the Denver offense putting up what they have all postseason, which is about 24 points. That's on a balmy, dry (so it doesn't ruin your spray tan) 39 degree evening in New Joisey. Seattle's opponents this season are a roll-call of the league's bottom-feeding offenses: Jags (#32), Texans (#31), Bucs (#30), Giants (#28), Rams (#21), Falcons (#20), Titans (#19), Panthers (#18) and Cards (#16). With them playing both the Rams and Cardinals twice, that's a significant portion of their schedule against opponents who might take three full seasons to throw 55 TDs. Denver's is much more top-heavy with them playing four of the top six offenses in the league in NE (#3), Philly (#4), Dallas (#5) and Queefs (#6). Of course, the direction of causality is debatable: Are Seattle's opponents terrible on offense because they played Seattle's great defense? Or is it the other way around?

Whatever the case, the contours of this matchup suggest to me an underrated Denver defense and an offense unlike what the Seahags have ever seen before. I think they pressure Wilson into some blunders and Champ Bailey plays a helluva game in his first Super Bowl.
Great post. I agree.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #125
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer
 
Agamemnon's Avatar
 
Resurrected!

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,379

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Lol! So, using your logic, the Broncos offense also isn't very good because it's scored under its regular season average in 5 straight games now, right?!?
No, because unlike you I'm not a football retard. Our offense has been dominant in both games, only punting once and controlling the clock by a massive margin. An unlucky interception in the endzone, a few missed plays, and starting deep in our end on nearly every possession is the only reason we haven't scored more. Meanwhile the Seahawks offense has been sub-par for two solid months, struggling to sustain drives or score points without the help of turnovers. That you don't get that Alex Smith and the KC offense has been much more prolific over the second half of the season is completely laughable.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Denver Broncos