The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #76
boppool
Ring of Famer

Superbowl or bust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

While I believe this is the best defense we'd face this season, they definitely have some flaws. Half of their interceptions came against Kaepernick, who's a great two-way quarterback, but also makes errant throws often. Their two safeties are top notch, but we can certainly exploit their corners by being more physical and using pick plays.
boppool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #77
HoustonBroncosFan
Braccae tuae aperiuntur

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
After listening to some of the preliminary Super Bowl chatter, the one universal theme from the media is that Seattle should beat the Broncos because great defense ALWAYS trumps great offense. (Setting aside that the Seahawks do have the best scoring defense in the league,verses our offense which is the greatest scoring offense in the HISTORY of the league) Why is it, I feel like I've already heard this cliché at noisome already this season? Is this comparison valid? Because in my humble opinion both teams seem built very similar with low-scoring, run-first offenses, and opportunistic defenses.
The 2006 Superbowl Colts v. Bears had a top 5 offense v a top 5 defense. The top offense won. Recent SB winners were more balanced, although they typically had really good defenses. From what I've seen, the stats supporting the theory of top offense > top defense were mostly before the 2004/2005 rule changes favoring the offense. ONOH, they don't call as many penalties in the SB as in the regular season, as the 49ers b!tched about last year.
HoustonBroncosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #78
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Look at who Sherman got an INT's against. Not a great cast of QB's. Props to him for getting them as they are not easy but still... :

1. Kaep - Documented awful passer at this point in his 2nd full year starting.
2. Matt Schaub (streak of four straight games with a pick 6)
3. Ryan Fitzpatrick - Tennessee backup
4. Kellen Clemens - St. Louis backup
5. Eli Manning x 2 - He threw four against Denver.
6. Carson Palmer x 2 - I think Palmer is awful and his passes are often questionable throughout the game.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #79
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBroncosFan View Post
The 2006 Superbowl Colts v. Bears had a top 5 offense v a top 5 defense. The top offense won. Recent SB winners were more balanced, although they typically had really good defenses. From what I've seen, the stats supporting the theory of top offense > top defense were mostly before the 2004/2005 rule changes favoring the offense. ONOH, they don't call as many penalties in the SB as in the regular season, as the 49ers b!tched about last year.
Another stat I think is important, when was the last time a scrambling type QB like Wilson has won a super bowl? It is very hard for them to consistently play with the top passing QB's who can drop back and throw it 30-40 times a game because of the beating they take.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #80
Coldcity76
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
I keep hearing that Seattle's defense isn't as good as advertised because of who they have played. On the flip side, Seattle's offense is better than everybody thinks. First, Lynch always plays better in the postseason. Second, they have played 7 games this year against top 5 defenses. That may be a record. The Broncos haven't play any top 5 defenses yet.
Well, you're very wrong. We did play a top defense when we faced the chiefs and they were deflated. No problem moving the ball and you cannot say they were bad after facing us twice in three weeks where prior to they were easily considered by many (and stats back it up) that the chiefs were a top defense.

So are the Seahawks like the chiefs? Yes, very much so. Seahawks are a little better for sure but the similarities are certainly there...great Rb, QB game manager that can run, high scoring defense, capitalizes on other teams' mistakes, weak passing game (IMO chiefs have better passing than Seattle).
Coldcity76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #81
Coldcity76
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Another stat I think is important, when was the last time a scrambling type QB like Wilson has won a super bowl? It is very hard for them to consistently play with the top passing QB's who can drop back and throw it 30-40 times a game because of the beating they take.
This is a good point...when has the last time a scrambling QB won the super bowl? As a matter fact, when has the last time a top defense won a super bowl against an elite QB? I know the Ravens and bucs were really good defense but they didnt play anybody special at QB in Kerry Collins and Rich Gannon.

The mantra "Defense rarely wins super bowls" is actually more correct than "Defense wins championships"
Coldcity76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #82
Punisher
® Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got? ®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Maybe the Chiefs are better?
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #83
BroncoBeavis
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
It's really about the balance the team brings on both sides of the ball.

That '05 Bears D did enough to win that game. Their offense was just too putrid to take advantage. And the Colts D was coming together at just the right time.

That's why I really like where we are. Our O is all-world. But coupled with our D starting to play its best ball? Hard to see how Seattle has the tools to make it happen (as usual, barring a -2+ turnover margin)
BroncoBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #84
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Derrick Johnson just got added to the Pro bowl. Chiefs are definitely better! 9th pro bowler! lol.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #85
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Yes, Seahawks are just like the Chiefs. Except better. On defense. Oh, and offense.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #86
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
I keep hearing that Seattle's defense isn't as good as advertised because of who they have played. On the flip side, Seattle's offense is better than everybody thinks. First, Lynch always plays better in the postseason. Second, they have played 7 games this year against top 5 defenses. That may be a record. The Broncos haven't play any top 5 defenses yet.
KC was all the rage on defense when we played them, twice. It was after that game that they really got exposed. Most can probably thank Manning for that as he laid out the blue print. None the less, I hear what you are saying. Seattle does have some potent weapons on offense. Wilson has the ability to be a great QB. It's up to Denver to keep him off balance. The DL can do play a major part if they can rush the passer and get him moving laterally. If he can step into his throws running towards the LOS, he can launch them pretty good and their WR's are athletic enough to break away in coverage and get some separation. The biggest drawback for them is that they don't have a go to guy. If they start struggling, they really have a hard time getting going because they are guessing at matchups.

Denver's MO has to be to take Lynch away. The easiest way to do this is the same way we stopped Blount. You have to penetrate up the middle of the LOS and get the bigger backs running east-west to keep them from getting that head of steam. If you can do that, Trevathan, Irvin, Woodyard and Lennon can get them down pretty easily. Last game Knighton played shaded over the center and he wreaked havok all day with NE's blocking scheme. I expect a similar approach this game.

There are some great stats on NFL.com with regards to the offensive lines in the post season. See link below. Seattle has been the worst pass blocking OL in the playoffs allowing 7 sacks and 14 pressures through 2 games, both highs in their respective categories. If you look at their run game, it's been good but pretty predictable. Best yardage in the playoffs but their habits form some interesting trends. They are running at a similar clip that San Diego was before we shut them down. They've had the most negative plays on the right side of their line, along with the least amount of 1st downs. On the left side, they've generated most of their 1st down runs (tripled) and big plays. JDR will surely see this and notice tendency's to play this accordingly especially in short yardage situations.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...alse&Submit=Go

If I was Seattle and Harvin is healthy, I'd be doing something to offset these tendencies. I'd expect a bunch of read-option plays which Seattle hasn't been doing as much recently as they did last year. This puts the pressure on the defense to make the right read and create some seams. I'd also run some motion sweeps with Harvin to the backside to force Denver's LB's to stay home on run plays and not get a jump on cutting Lynch down. They will probably add on a motion sweep, read-option play too. Harvin will make them more dynamic in the run game but how many plays are you going to give him when he's missed all of the season and will his hip allow him to be as explosive as he was prior to that? What Denver needs to do is jump on Seattle and start forcing them to cut down on their playbook and putting them into predictable passing situations.

Last edited by bpc; 01-21-2014 at 10:09 AM..
Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 AM   #87
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
WE DIDN'T PUNT! We dominated that friggin game offensively. DOMINATED IT
I've heard some media people going on about how we've only scored 25 points per game. To which I can only laugh. We've only punted once in two playoff games. Offense is about more than just scoring.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #88
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yes, Seahawks are just like the Chiefs. Except better. On defense. Oh, and offense.
They aren't better on offense. The nonsense you post...
Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #89
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowebomber View Post
I bet somewhere on a Seahawks' board someone is asking if the Broncos are just the AFC version of the Saints.
I hope they think so. I hope their team thinks so.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #90
TripleTilde
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Trevathan is fast, he's strong, and he's a sure tackler.

Plus, he has one of those nasty LB attitudes. I'd love to see him hit Wilson a couple times and make him think twice about crossing the line of scrimmage.
It depends on how hey do it. The Giants used to try to shrink the field against Vick by forcing him to scramble right, since he's left handed. If they were to for e Wilson to his left there might be more help.
TripleTilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #91
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

the Hawks are much more physical than the Chiefs.....this will be tough game.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #92
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I think we'll shut you guys down this week. Our run D has been very good lately. NE and SD were running the ball much better than you guys and we shut them down cold.

And I agree that your QB isn't particularly threatening. In fact, after seeing the pic of his spouse, I wouldn't be surprised if DRC took advantage of his poor decision making by picking off two of his passes.

You can puff up your chest for now, but I think you'll end up being humiliated, just like Sherman, in a couple weeks.
We? Not sure if you know this but Broncos are playing the Seahawks. Last time I looked, the Broncos aren't the Bears or Redskins.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 01-21-2014 at 10:48 AM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #93
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTilde View Post
It depends on how hey do it. The Giants used to try to shrink the field against Vick by forcing him to scramble right, since he's left handed. If they were to for e Wilson to his left there might be more help.
There is definitely more than one way to do it.

You could always just try to keep him in the pocket and force him to beat you with his arm. It will be interesting to see what Fox and JDR come up with, and see how they attack him and that offense.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #94
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

This is an interesting thread. Usually the team who is the underdog, their fans come up with silly reasons on why they're going to win the game. I remember hearing Falcons fans on sports radio talk about how their great run defense was too much for Terrell Davis and the Broncos rushing attack. We all knew that was silly. They had to convince themselves that their team had a chance.

Look folks, we don't have to do that with this Broncos team. We don't have to start saying silly stuff like the Seahawks are the same as the Chiefs just to convince ourselves that the Broncos are going to win the game.

The Seahawks are for real, and like it was stated earlier in this thread, they are the best team that the Broncos are going to face all year.

With that being said, I think the Broncos are the better team. Certainly not light years ahead, but better, and getting the Seahawks out of Seattle is a big factor. The Broncos defense needs to show up like they have been the past two weeks, and Manning has to be able to play well in that cold. Those two things go the Broncos way and we're all going to be celebrating. But this won't be an easy game. I'd be surprised if it were.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #95
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

One other point on why I think the Broncos will win. Manning has two weeks to prepare. That's just not fair. By the time the game roles around, he'd be a better Seahawks defensive coordinator than whoever they have over there. lol

Last edited by Jason in LA; 01-21-2014 at 04:26 PM..
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #96
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in LA View Post
This is an interesting thread. Usually the team who is the underdog, their fans come up with silly reasons on why they're going to win the game. I remember hearing Falcons fans on sports radio talk about how their great run defense was too much for Terrell Davis and the Broncos rushing attack. We all knew that was silly. They had to convince themselves that their team had a chance.

Look folks, we don't have to do that with this Broncos team. We don't have to start saying silly stuff like the Seahawks are the same as the Chiefs just to convince ourselves that the Broncos are going to win the game.

The Seahawks are for real, and like it was stated earlier in this thread, they are the best team that the Broncos are going to face all year.

With that being said, I think the Broncos are the better team. Certainly not light years ahead, but better, and getting the Seahawks out of Seattle is a big factor. The Broncos defense needs to show up like they have been the past two weeks, and Manning has to be able to play well in that cold. Those two things go the Broncos way and we're all going to be celebrating. But this won't be an easy game. I'd be surprised if it were.
Great post Jason in LA.

This truly is the best possible matchup as far as team vs. team that anyone could have asked for.

The Seahawks are really, really good. The Broncos are historically good.

You don't need much to get hyped for this game - and I certainly wouldn't compare the upstart Chiefs team who went on a run against mediocre QBs for the first 9 games of the season to this Seahawks team who was consistently great all season against much better competition.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #97
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I've heard some media people going on about how we've only scored 25 points per game. To which I can only laugh. We've only punted once in two playoff games. Offense is about more than just scoring.
Agreed.

Denver minimized mistakes and possessed the ball for 35+ minutes in each game.

You're not going to lose too many putting up 25 points with that kind of TOP.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #98
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
They aren't better on offense. The nonsense you post...
Sigh. How is it nonsense?

Seattle 7th, KC 17th
http://wp.advancednflstats.com/teampage.php

Seattle 7th, KC 15th
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #99
dbroncos31
Ring of Famer

RIP D-Will

Ummm. No. The Seahawks are just a teeeeeeeny bit better than the Chiefs.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvo...3-dvoa-ratings

We were the 6th best offense of the last 26 years after adjusting for opponent strength.

Seattle was the 7th best defense of the last 26 years, and the 5th best OVERALL team since 1989.

This team is 100% legitimate and anyone who thinks this will be an easy game is just wrong. Honestly, based off of advanced stats we should be the underdog, but I do think our defense is trending up as their offense is trending down.

But this will be the best defense we have faced and one of the best we have ever seen.

(For the record, Kansas City was the 9th best defense; the difference between KC and Seattle is the same as between KC and Dallas, who was godawful.)
dbroncos31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #100
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
There has been 4 Super Bowls where the top offense faced the the top defense. The top defense won 3 out of the four.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote