The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 AM   #51
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think a few important hidden stats to consider with regards to the Seahawks defense… they are on the field for an average of 60 snaps a game. Denver pushes their offensive snaps into the low-mid 70's. If Denver can get some 3rd down conversions (Seattle giving up 32% on 3rd down in the post-season, Denver converting 62%!), it will be interesting to see how this defense reacts to having to sit on the field longer. It makes me think of a boxer who comes roaring out the gates for the 1st couple rounds, think Mike Tyson. Get through round 1-2, and into the 3rd, 4th, … 9th, 10th round, how are the going to handle that type of pressure? Are they still going to have their legs? That's what will be interesting to watch. Denver's done a good job offensive and defensively of hogging the ball in the playoffs and when Rivers & Brady have gotten the ball back, their offensive series seem pressed because they know they need to do something ASAP to bail out their defense. Denver needs to find a way to get to that point with this Seahawks team. If they do, they will be up against the ropes and primed for a knockout.

Last edited by bpc; 01-21-2014 at 03:39 AM..
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:40 AM   #52
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

The most interesting part of this is going to be how we attack Seattle's defense.

The past few games our offense is playing more balanced, running the ball against lighter fronts and taking shots against over matched DBs across the middle with Decker/DT and Thomas.

This chews up a lot more clock but is going to be more difficult against Seattle who aren't going to let you march down the field 70+ yards picking up 6-8 yards a piece.

In the early part of the year we were passing the ball a lot more, even using short area passes to our RBs/screen plays instead of just running the ball and when defenses adjusted by sending extra defenders closer to the box we went up top vertically.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:40 AM   #53
Mile High 81
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I agree that the Broncos will have to play their best game since SB33 to win SB48. The Seahawks are the real deal, and better than any team the Broncos have faced this year.

However, to say that the Broncos LB's are "undersized" is false.

Broncos:
1. Danny Trevathan - 240
2. Paris Lenon - 240
3. Nate Irving - 245
4. Wesley Woodyard - 233

Seahawks:
1. Bobby Wagner - 241
2. Bruce Irvin - 248
3. Malcolm Smith - 226

49ers:
1. Navorro Bowman - 242
2. Patrick Willis - 240
Sorry my bad.
Need a new TV. The 49ers seem bigger than ours on tv
Mile High 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:44 AM   #54
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

One thing's for sure. We've got to stretch their defense and make them cover sideline to sideline, sending all our guys into pass catching patterns, empty backfield and forcing them to just rush 4.

Then it's up to our OL and Manning to find their soft spots be it underneath, or near the sidelines depending on how they play Julius Thomas.

Welker/Moreno are going to have to play a major role in this game because Seattle are so good at shutting down top tier TEs.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #55
HoustonBroncosFan
Braccae tuae aperiuntur

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I think a few important hidden stats to consider with regards to the Seahawks defense… they are on the field for an average of 60 snaps a game. Denver pushes their offensive snaps into the low-mid 70's. If Denver can get some 3rd down conversions (Seattle giving up 32% on 3rd down in the post-season, Denver converting 62%!), it will be interesting to see how this defense reacts to having to sit on the field longer. It makes me think of a boxer who comes roaring out the gates for the 1st couple rounds, think Mike Tyson. Get through round 1-2, and into the 3rd, 4th, … 9th, 10th round, how are the going to handle that type of pressure? Are they still going to have their legs? That's what will be interesting to watch. Denver's done a good job offensive and defensively of hogging the ball in the playoffs and when Rivers & Brady have gotten the ball back, their offensive series seem pressed because they know they need to do something ASAP to bail out their defense. Denver needs to find a way to get to that point with this Seahawks team. If they do, they will be up against the ropes and primed for a knockout.
I re-watched the 49ers Seahawks game last night, mostly to watch the Seahawks defense. Its a pretty ferocious pass rush. But what I heard was that they have to do a lot of rotation to keep their defensive players fresh. When the 49ers went to the hurry up later in the game, the pass rush disappeared. No one in the NFL runs the no huddle better than the Broncos. If we make a couple conversions and extend a drive, their D may get gassed very quickly. If that happens, the Broncos blow them out.
HoustonBroncosFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #56
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Are the Seahawks just the NFC version of the Chiefs?

No, they are not.

The Broncos better take them very seriously because they promise to be a highly motivated opponent.

This.

I predict they will go deep a lot on us.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #57
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
After listening to some of the preliminary Super Bowl chatter, the one universal theme from the media is that Seattle should beat the Broncos because great defense ALWAYS trumps great offense. (Setting aside that the Seahawks do have the best scoring defense in the league,verses our offense which is the greatest scoring offense in the HISTORY of the league) Why is it, I feel like I've already heard this cliché at noisome already this season? Is this comparison valid? Because in my humble opinion both teams seem built very similar with low-scoring, run-first offenses, and opportunistic defenses.
what the pundits keep forgetting is that the Broncos defense has been pretty good too. So yes, I think the seattle defense is scary good but on the other hand I think the Broncos defense is pretty good too. The question is, which offense will be able to generate the most points?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #58
TripleTilde
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It seems like Denver's defense turned the corner when they started tackling in practice. They'll need to tackle well against Lynch.

The thing that worries me most is Wilson's skill set. Denver has had some success against Rivers and Brady but their not mobile like Wilson. I worry that Denver's defense might struggle to keep him in the pocket and chase him down if he breaks the pocket.
TripleTilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #59
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I think it is a very good question, and good discussion in this thread.

My opinion is that the Seahawks are like the Chiefs, but just add +10% across the board for a mentally tougher team. +10% on teamwork, +10% on talent, +10% on defensive game plan.

It will be a tight game. We should be able to move the ball well, but a couple dropped passes or fumbles and this could go wrong for us. If we play the way we did the last two weeks, I predict we win by 10. Probably a very similar score to the Patriots game last week - maybe 27-17, Broncos.
cmhargrove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #60
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTilde View Post
It seems like Denver's defense turned the corner when they started tackling in practice. They'll need to tackle well against Lynch.

The thing that worries me most is Wilson's skill set. Denver has had some success against Rivers and Brady but their not mobile like Wilson. I worry that Denver's defense might struggle to keep him in the pocket and chase him down if he breaks the pocket.
put a spy on Wilson... how about Champ?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #61
TripleTilde
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I don't know. Then who's covering whom?

I think it's more importand for the defensive line to maintain discipline. The defensive ends need to bracket Wilson so he stays in the pocket.
TripleTilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #62
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I don't know. Then who's covering whom?

I think it's more importand for the defensive line to maintain discipline. The defensive ends need to bracket Wilson so he stays in the pocket.
everyone plays zone except the spy who follows Wilson... it's not like seattle has a bunch of big name WRs and super fantastic TEs. They have Wilson who can throw and pass so you have to make sure you contain him and then they have the toughest SOB RB in the NFL in Lynch. But, I can't name one other weapon outside of Golden Tate.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #63
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
everyone plays zone except the spy who follows Wilson... it's not like seattle has a bunch of big name WRs and super fantastic TEs. They have Wilson who can throw and pass so you have to make sure you contain him and then they have the toughest SOB RB in the NFL in Lynch. But, I can't name one other weapon outside of Golden Tate.
They'll have harvin. Not sure how he'll factor in though
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #64
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:

Denver did a pretty good job against similar mobile QBs like Pryor/Vick/RGIII in the early part of the season even without Von.

Wilson's mobility isn't the problem. The question is about whether our back 7 can be disciplined in their coverage because Wilson moves around and still keeps his eyes downfield unlike guys like Alex Smith who just tuck it and run. That's where Wilson has been very effective in creating open passing lanes when he rolls out.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #65
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
They'll have harvin. Not sure how he'll factor in though
yah, he's their deep threat and super fast so the Broncos will have to watch out for him. What I can't stand about Wilson is that he will appeart to run the ball and then he will pass it deep right as he's getting the the LOS. It's very hard to contain so the DBs have to make sure that no one is behind them. This is why I like the idea of putting a spy on Wilson, that is, if Wilson decides to run the spy can at least slow him down. Or if Wilson decides to pass, all the other DBs should be able to keep the hawks WRs and TEs in check.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #66
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Trevathan would be well suited for this role.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #67
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

@bpc: excellent post
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #68
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
Trevathan would be well suited for this role.
he's not fast enough to cover Wilson, IMHO it has to be someone who's relatively fast, and can tackle, and I think that Champ is just the guy who can do this...
Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #69
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
This.

I predict they will go deep a lot on us.
They will, it's a staple of their offense. They will try a few PA deep passes on first down. Plus, they should considering there were a couple of plays that NE left on the field vs us deep, and it beat us last year at Baltimore.

I'm sure the coaches will be harping on this.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #70
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

I bet somewhere on a Seahawks' board someone is asking if the Broncos are just the AFC version of the Saints.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #71
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Ha, that's true!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #72
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
he's not fast enough to cover Wilson, IMHO it has to be someone who's relatively fast, and can tackle, and I think that Champ is just the guy who can do this...
Trevathan is fast, he's strong, and he's a sure tackler.

Plus, he has one of those nasty LB attitudes. I'd love to see him hit Wilson a couple times and make him think twice about crossing the line of scrimmage.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #73
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High 81 View Post
Sorry my bad.
Need a new TV. The 49ers seem bigger than ours on tv
I sometimes get the feeling those weights are from the beginning of the season, because Trevathan doesn't strike me as 240 pound guy.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #74
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

It's a shame we lost Wolfe.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #75
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

We need a big game from ayers. This might play into a strength from a scheme standpoint for the dl.