The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #26
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
Yeah, x's and o's have nothing to do with professional football. Might as well line up and draw-up plays in the dirt.
Hey, if anything, Seattle is indebted to San Diego because the Chargers apparently came up with a game plan that managed to "hold" Manning "only" 230 yards passing. So Seattle can benefit from all the hard work done by Mike "3 Straight Running Plays Up the Middle To Ice the Game" McCoy.

Pete Carroll & Co. will have 2 weeks to break down film from Sunday. So will Fox & Co. As far as X's and O's go, I'm willing to call it a draw and let the players do the talking.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #27
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Hey, if anything, Seattle is indebted to San Diego because the Chargers apparently came up with a game plan that managed to "hold" Manning "only" 230 yards passing. So Seattle can benefit from all the hard work done by Mike "3 Straight Running Plays Up the Middle To Ice the Game" McCoy.

Pete Carroll & Co. will have 2 weeks to break down film from Sunday. So will Fox & Co. As far as X's and O's go, I'm willing to call it a draw and let the players do the talking.
WE DIDN'T PUNT! We dominated that friggin game offensively. DOMINATED IT
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #28
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I will concede that the Seahawks have a couple of better components than the Chiefs, namely quarterback. No argument that Wilson is a more dynamic playmaker than Smith. However, no one has yet counter-argued the point that the two teams are not stylistically similar. Both teams struggled against the likes of the Titans/Texans and hell, the Chiefs actually played the Colts a hell-of-a-lot closer than the Seahawks did.
DenverDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #29
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
WE DIDN'T PUNT! We dominated that friggin game offensively. DOMINATED IT
Lol Seahawks fans don't understand what offense is, yo.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #30
rolandftw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

No, that is a bad comparison. Chiefs have won of the worst passing defenses in the league where as Seattle won of, if not the best.
rolandftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #31
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandftw View Post
No, that is a bad comparison. Chiefs have won of the worst passing defenses in the league where as Seattle won of, if not the best.
That's because unlike Seattle, the Chiefs had to play Denver twice.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #32
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

No. Seahags are a tough team. Wilson is a very capable passer, but does struggle a bit if contained in the pocket. They are a team built for playoff success. Teams that can play solid defense and run really well tend to have success. They are extremely physical. They aren't a paper tiger like the Chiefs, they are a team that can give us trouble if we take them lightly.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #33
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Lol Seahawks fans don't understand what offense is, yo.
Not true.

The heart of the team is Marshawn Lynch, not Russell Wilson. When Lynch kicks it into Beast Mode, the fans go nuts.

Wilson's job is to be cool, calm, and collected...and NOT turn over the ball. But the Hawks offense is not designed for the QB to rack up 500 yards passing as is the case with Denver.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #34
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

I keep hearing that Seattle's defense isn't as good as advertised because of who they have played. On the flip side, Seattle's offense is better than everybody thinks. First, Lynch always plays better in the postseason. Second, they have played 7 games this year against top 5 defenses. That may be a record. The Broncos haven't play any top 5 defenses yet.
Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #35
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

People say they had an easier schedule. It's not like we had a schedule full of world beaters either. I agree we faced better QB's than they did, but they had to deal with better defenses than we did. And Wilson practices against their corners.

They are in the Super Bowl. They are very, very good.

Last edited by Kaylore; 01-20-2014 at 11:16 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #36
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Pete Carroll is a douche

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
I keep hearing that Seattle's defense isn't as good as advertised because of who they have played. On the flip side, Seattle's offense is better than everybody thinks. First, Lynch always plays better in the postseason. Second, they have played 7 games this year against top 5 defenses. That may be a record. The Broncos haven't play any top 5 defenses yet.
Exactly.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #37
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Not true.

The heart of the team is Marshawn Lynch, not Russell Wilson. When Lynch kicks it into Beast Mode, the fans go nuts.

Wilson's job is to be cool, calm, and collected...and NOT turn over the ball. But the Hawks offense is not designed for the QB to rack up 500 yards passing as is the case with Denver.
I think we'll shut you guys down this week. Our run D has been very good lately. NE and SD were running the ball much better than you guys and we shut them down cold.

And I agree that your QB isn't particularly threatening. In fact, after seeing the pic of his spouse, I wouldn't be surprised if DRC took advantage of his poor decision making by picking off two of his passes.

You can puff up your chest for now, but I think you'll end up being humiliated, just like Sherman, in a couple weeks.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #38
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
No. Seahags are a tough team. Wilson is a very capable passer, but does struggle a bit if contained in the pocket. They are a team built for playoff success. Teams that can play solid defense and run really well tend to have success. They are extremely physical. They aren't a paper tiger like the Chiefs, they are a team that can give us trouble if we take them lightly.
For the most part, I agree with you. I'm just saying that a lot of what I'm hearing now is identical to what I heard in the run-off to our first game against KC. Now, KC did get beat-up and exposed a little down the stretch, but, I don't think comparing two play-off teams that for the most part operated on run-first, ball control offense and relaying on their defenses to create take-aways is a huge stretch.
If KC didn't have us in the division, and actually got to play a play-off game or two at home, it might be a different discussion all together.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:18 AM   #39
Mile High 81
Solid Starter

Seattle is a heck of a football team. Everybody who thinks we will just wins this in a blowout will wake up immediately on Superbowl sunday.

Their Defense is for real. I do not know if you should could compare them to 2000 Ravens or the 2002 Bucs Version. The Game on 2. Feb will decided that. But its close. They have all pro talent just across the board and they matchup very well with us.
Their Offense is not pretty sexy, but they do not have too. Their defense gave them two ball 2 times in the 49ers Half in the 4 QRT and saved the game. Of Course Manning is way better than Kaep but Seattle can generate Pressure with its Front 4. So they can send back everybody back in coverage.
It will be close. We must absolutely bring or A game.
What me absolutely scares is Lynch. Hell. The 49ers have a good Rundefense. But they need 3-4 guys to bring him down. And their LB are not undersized like ours.
Mile High 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:24 AM   #40
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High 81 View Post
Seattle is a heck of a football team. Everybody who thinks we will just wins this in a blowout will wake up immediately on Superbowl sunday.

Their Defense is for real. I do not know if you should could compare them to 2000 Ravens or the 2002 Bucs Version. The Game on 2. Feb will decided that. But its close. They have all pro talent just across the board and they matchup very well with us.
Their Offense is not pretty sexy, but they do not have too. Their defense gave them two ball 2 times in the 49ers Half in the 4 QRT and saved the game. Of Course Manning is way better than Kaep but Seattle can generate Pressure with its Front 4. So they can send back everybody back in coverage.
It will be close. We must absolutely bring or A game.
What me absolutely scares is Lynch. Hell. The 49ers have a good Rundefense. But they need 3-4 guys to bring him down. And their LB are not undersized like ours.
what the what
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:56 AM   #41
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It just seems like a dream matchup for the Broncos. The only game we got run on ALL YEAR was when we were holding tryouts on D and going against the best 3rd down offense in the league and this year's best QB not named Peyton. And the run D has been especially tough lately. Lynch won't carry that offense.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:08 AM   #42
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

it is what it alyways was..BS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Ito be close. I have watched several SeaHawks games this year.....OVERRATED PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know people like stats and all of that but this isn't even going to be close. I don't care if the SeaHawks had 2 years to prepare for this Denver Broncos team and bring in the National Guard it wont help them... I have been laughing all day at these sport shows, I don't even know how they kept a straight face trying to make an argument . Makes for good TV I guess.
Chrissy Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:09 AM   #43
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High 81 View Post
I agree that the Broncos will have to play their best game since SB33 to win SB48. The Seahawks are the real deal, and better than any team the Broncos have faced this year.

However, to say that the Broncos LB's are "undersized" is false.

Broncos:
1. Danny Trevathan - 240
2. Paris Lenon - 240
3. Nate Irving - 245
4. Wesley Woodyard - 233

Seahawks:
1. Bobby Wagner - 241
2. Bruce Irvin - 248
3. Malcolm Smith - 226

49ers:
1. Navorro Bowman - 242
2. Patrick Willis - 240
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:15 AM   #44
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

They have three All-Pro players in the secondary. Chiefs however have better core pass rushers via Hali, Houston and Poe. Luckily for us we had two games against them to get used to shutting down a team with that type of rush. The Chiefs also have a solid back-end in Berry and Flowers.

I'd compare the 49ers D more to the Chiefs D than the Seahawks in terms of location of strength. Seahawks are just way stronger on the back; and have tall people in the secondary which is a better fit vs us.

Their run D is about identical to ours this year.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 AM   #45
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I think we'll shut you guys down Seattle this week. Our run D has been very good lately. NE and SD were running the ball much better than you guys Seattle and we shut them down cold.

And I agree that your Seattle's QB isn't particularly threatening. In fact, after seeing the pic of his spouse, I wouldn't be surprised if DRC took advantage of his poor decision making by picking off two of his passes.

You The 12th man can puff up your its chest for now, but I think you'll they'll end up being humiliated, just like Sherman, in a couple weeks.
Fixed!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:24 AM   #46
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

I think the Chiefs and Seahawks are extremely comparable.

The D-line's are similar, though Seattle has more depth and quickness, if less power and strength.

The LB corps are pretty similar.

The secondary is pretty similar, though Thomas has an edge on Berry, and Sherman has an edge on Flowers. Where Seattle pulls ahead is with Chancellor, so this will be the best secondary we'll face, but it's not massively better than KC.

On offense, they both have similar O-lines. Neither are particularly scary, and the Chiefs probably have an advantage because Albert is better than Okung, and the KC interior is far better than Seattle. Both RTs are average on their best day.

The QBs are very similar. Both generally play it safe, both can escape and run as needed, and both are pretty accurate.

The WRs are pretty similar. They suck. Percy Harvin coming back helps Seattle a lot, but he's just a vastly more talented McCluster. And more injury prone, rusty, and out of shape.

Seattle has better TEs than KC, not by much, but they win there. Miller is average and Wilson can stretch the field, though he can't catch.

The RBs are of the same quality, though while Charles is fast and elusive, Lynch is slower and more powerful. With the Denver defense, I'd rather go against Lynch. In the Patriot game, Vereen was far more effective than Ridley or Blount. Lynch is better, but we can beat physical runners as our D-line will dominate their O-line.

Seattle has a better kicker, Chiefs have a better punter.

So, yeah, I see a vastly similar team when looking at the Chiefs and Seahawks. Seattle doesn't scare me at all as a Broncos fan, especially outside of Seattle as that home field advantage is nasty. Even if it snows, I think our defense can stop their offense. And I think our O-line can beat their D-line if we are forced to run with Moreno and Ball all game. If it doesn't snow, we'll handle them easily.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 AM   #47
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'm reading statistics and came across a matchup very similar to what Super Bowl 48 will be. Almost uncanny in comparisons to this matchup between Denver & Seattle and unfortunately we remember it all too well… Super Bowl 24, Denver vs. San Francisco. Only this time, stats put us on the opposite side of the spectrum potentially.

Like this year, 89' was one of only five meetings in super bowl history that paired the #1 seeds from both conferences. SF from the NFC, Denver from the AFC. Similar to this year as well, it also pitted Denver featuring the #1 ranked defense and SF, boasting the #1 ranked offense. Denver's defense that year was known for having some heavy hitting, turnover producing DB's like Dennis Smith, Steve Atwater, and Tyrone Braxton (6 INT's). Seattle's defense this year is largely unknown in the front 7 but their back four gets all the pub, led by Richard Sherman (8 INT's this year) and hard hitting SS Cam Chancellor. Denver's defense in 89' actually gave up 5 less points than the Seahawks this year, 226 vs. 231, and 3 less touchdowns through the air. They were within 100 yds of total passing yards given up, 2827 yds to 2752.

In regards to players Russell Wilson reminds me a lot of a young John Elway. Heady player with a penchant for making big plays, but also some inconsistent ones as well thus far in his career. He can move, rollout and create down field by extending broken plays with his legs. His WR's are all marginal guys and lack a true dominant threat, very similar to the 3 Amigos and Clarence Kay for the Broncos. The passing game is largely dependent on Wilson making things happen, just like Elway back in the day. Elway's #1 threat in 89' was Vance Johnson who caught 76 passes for 1082 and 10 TD's and a 14.4 YPR average. Golden Tate this year has caught 64 balls for 898 yds, and 5 TD's and a 14 YPR. Wilson is backed up on the ground by a good running threat in Marshawn Lynch. Lynch's stats this year 1250 yds, 12 TD's, 33 catches. Bobby Humphrey's stats in 89', 1150 yds, 7 TD's and 26 receptions. Denver had given up 35 sacks that season, this year's Seahawks team have given up 44 sacks which will be something to watch going into the super bowl. Seattle does not have a great OL. It is no where near as good as New England's was and we did a great job taking them out of running the ball. Pass rush should be more effective during the super bowl.

With regards to Denver, Manning is the favorite choice to be the MVP this year. In 89', Joe Montana was the league MVP for the #1 ranked offense in the NFL. Roger Craig largely considered the ultimate multi-purpose back in the NFL back in 89' ran for 1054 yds, 6 TD's, 49 catches for 475 yds. Knowshon Moreno this year has run for 1038, 10 TD's, 60 catches for 548 yds. Jerry Rice caught 82 passes, for 1483, 17 TD's and Demaryius Thomas with very similar stats again, 92 catches, for 1430 yds and 14 TD's. The 49ers OL in 89' gave up 44 sacks for the season, this year's Broncos team has given up a league low 20 sacks. This is another huge hidden stat for the Super bowl.

As a team, SF points for vs. against in 89' had a difference of 189 points which was good for 1st in the NFL. Fast forward to 13', Denver had a difference points for/points against of 207 points, also good for 1st in the NFL.

As you can see, there are some interesting parallels between these two games. It looks nice being on the other side of the coin potentially. Hopefully Peyton can put together a Joe Montana type performance against this Seahawks defense, and our defense can clamp down on the run and force a few turnovers and ramp up the pressure on Wilson to force some plays.

Last edited by bpc; 01-21-2014 at 10:21 AM..
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 AM   #48
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

^^ Interesting comparison. Great post, btw.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 AM   #49
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

The Seahawks played 2 decent offensive teams on the road this year. They gave up an average of 27 points to them. When I say decent, I mean the 11th and 14th ranked scoring offenses. Neither come close to being elite.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 AM   #50
Armchair Bronco
Pro Bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
The Seahawks played 2 decent offensive teams on the road this year. They gave up an average of 27 points to them. When I say decent, I mean the 11th and 14th ranked scoring offenses. Neither come close to being elite.
Who cares? The Super Bowl is played on a neutral field. And against teams on a neutral field, both Denver and Seattle have records of 0-0 and 0-0, respectively.