The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DeMarcus Ware
Default Are the Seahawks just the NFC version of the Chiefs?

After listening to some of the preliminary Super Bowl chatter, the one universal theme from the media is that Seattle should beat the Broncos because great defense ALWAYS trumps great offense. (Setting aside that the Seahawks do have the best scoring defense in the league,verses our offense which is the greatest scoring offense in the HISTORY of the league) Why is it, I feel like I've already heard this cliché at noisome already this season? Is this comparison valid? Because in my humble opinion both teams seem built very similar with low-scoring, run-first offenses, and opportunistic defenses.
DenverDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Seattle's defense isn't equivalent to the 2000 Ravens so its a poor analogy to compare them to the Chiefs.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Are the Seahawks just the NFC version of the Chiefs?

Yes!

I was just thinking the same thing.

The Chorfs were undefeated (9-0) and their D was tops in the league.....until they ran into us.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think this stems from when the weather gets cold, passing teams struggle in the playoffs. But this certainly doesn't ring true for good scoring offenses that are balanced where they have a solid running game. It doesn't have to be like the 97/98 Broncos where they ran down everybody's throat. The Rams did ok with a great offense. And there have been MANY more times where a team that won that the Superbowl was very balanced (meaning good offense, good defense) vs how many teams won a superbowl that were average to poor on offense but had a legendary defense. Plus, you can look at it both ways. You might have 2 teams that struggle offensively and everybody will say, wow, that was some great defense in that game. Or you could look at it like, man, those offenses really choked. Just depends on how you want to look at it.
ZONA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
Armchair Bronco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

No, they are not.

The Broncos better take them very seriously because they promise to be a highly motivated opponent.
Armchair Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

No. They are actually a really good team. One that can win playoff games. You insulted the whole Northwest region by comparing them to that franchise.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

The teams don't match up well when comparing our defense vs their offense; however, no one is talking about that as their sole focus is on how good their defense is and how legendary our offense is. I don't think there is a defense in the past 10 years that can compete with this offense...and it will show up in detail at the SB.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DeMarcus Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post

No, they are not.

The Broncos better take them very seriously because they promise to be a highly motivated opponent.
Ok, well why aren't they then? I didn't say that the Broncos shouldn't take Seattle seriously, but I do think Denver has played a similar style of opposition in KC.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
The teams don't match up well when comparing our defense vs their offense; however, no one is talking about that as their sole focus is on how good their defense is and how legendary our offense is. I don't think there is a defense in the past 10 years that can compete with this offense...and it will show up in detail at the SB.
Yep.

I think the best SEA can hope for is to hold us to something less than the number of points we typically put on the board.

On the other side of the ball, our defense will make mincemeat of their offense.
I wouldn't be surprise to see at least one score off a turnover created by our D.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Wilson actually has the balls to throw down the field and into tight coverages which makes them more dangerous than the chiefs. The secondary is also much better. So imagine a zone cover 3 version of the chiefs defense. Wilson is better than Smith based on potential and Lynch poses a different threat to our defense. He isn't as dynamic as Charles.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #11
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DeMarcus Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
No. They are actually a really good team. One that can win playoff games. You insulted the whole Northwest region by comparing them to that franchise.
Not that I want to ball-wash the Chiefs or anything, but they did win a lot of games this year, and short of having a rash or freak-injuries should have advanced to the divisional round. Hell, their B-team should have eliminated the Chargers, a team that gave us the most fits this year.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #12
Armchair Bronco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

The Chargers held Manning to a pedestrian 230 yards and 1 INT in their playoff game. And Seattle's defense is an order of magnitude better than San Diego's.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DeMarcus Ware

Quote:
The Chargers held Manning to a pedestrian 230 yards and 1 INT in their playoff game. And Seattle's defense is an order of magnitude better than San Diego's.
The Chargers are a divisional opponent with a head coach who also happened to be our offensive coordinator last year. Needless to say they knew our tendencies well.

Last edited by DenverDynamite; 01-20-2014 at 10:27 PM..
Old 01-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #14
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
The Chargers' D didn't "hold" us to anything.

Our own mistakes did that.

And we still won.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
Bronco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Talib

Cheifs had more pro bowlers so I'd say no.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #16
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

They are in the SB
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #17
enjolras
Ring of Famer

This is asinine. Seattle is a really good team. A strong playoff team last year and the #1 seed in the NFC. This will be, by a pretty big margin, the best team we will have played this year.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #18
Armchair Bronco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Call me "Old School"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Darrien Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
The Chargers are a divisional opponent with a head coach who also happened to be our offensive coordinator last year. Needless to say they knew our tendencies well.
Call me "Old School", but the last time I checked, head coaches and offensive coordinators aren't allowed on the field during a game. It's the players who make the plays, not the coaches or some PowerPoint slide in meeting room #6 in Dove Valley.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #19
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

I just don't buy the Seattle hype. They were a good team at home, struggled at times on the road. They don't have the offense to compete with us. I say we win by 10-14 points. Good comparison to the Chefs.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #20
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DeMarcus Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
This is asinine. Seattle is a really good team. A strong playoff team last year and the #1 seed in the NFC. This will be, by a pretty big margin, the best team we will have played this year.
I didn't infer that Seattle wasn't a good team. Look, I know this is a Broncos board and it seems that no one here wants to give any validation to KC, but if you are going to call out the discussion as asinine at least back-up the assertion with a rational besides. "They are a really good team and KC is dog poop."
Old 01-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #21
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I'm a believer that defense wins championships. That doesn't mean that the better defense is going to win. But I do think that the Broncos defense needs to play a good game, so that if the Broncos offense has some struggles against the best defense in the league, the Broncos can still pull the game out. The Broncos defense has played well the last two weeks. They need to continue that, especially because this is going to be a cold weather game.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Uh. Bad example. Broncos held the ball the entire game. We didn't even punt. They didn't "hold" us to ****

But they are far better than KC
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #23
DenverDynamite
Seasoned Veteran

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DeMarcus Ware

Quote:
Call me "Old School", but the last time I checked, head coaches and offensive coordinators aren't allowed on the field during a game. It's the players who make the plays, not the coaches or some PowerPoint slide in meeting room #6 in Dove Valley.
Yeah, x's and o's have nothing to do with professional football. Might as well line up and draw-up plays in the dirt.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:44 PM   #24
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Seattle's defense isn't equivalent to the 2000 Ravens so its a poor analogy to compare them to the Chiefs.
Also, the Seahawks are a good football team, so that's another poor analogy.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #25
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer

weed will win

Adopt-a-Bronco:
miles

thats not a nice thing to do insult the seahawks by comparing them to the chefs now thats just not nice maybe to cinci or the colts or even the chargers but the chefs thats a low blow you should send the seahogs flowers with a lil card apologizing
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote