The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #101
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

I haven't studied their performance yet, but has Sherman faced anyone with the size/speed/strength combination of DT? If so, how did he fair?

If DT could be the aggressor in the matchup (something we have all wanted him to do more of), my gut instinct is that its a winnable matchup. Am I crazy?

Last edited by Jekyll15Hyde; 01-20-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #102
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

I know the one on one debates can go back and forth, but the two Thomas', Welker, and Moreno with Manning throwing the rock can be stopped by only their own mistakes. Don't fool yourself into thinking Seattle's defense can stop this offense.
Vegas_Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #103
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
I haven't studied their performance yet, but has Sherman faced anyone with the size/speed/strength combination of DT? If so, how did he fair?

?
Shut down Megatron last year. Fitz had 5 catches for 35 yards on 2 games this year. Last year Fitz had 11 targets in both games for 4 catches and 60 yards in one game and 1 catch for 2 yds in another. Despite the claim by certain posters, well poster, he is not overrated and a great CB. Denver will exploit the other matchups not the matchup with Sherman.

I wonder which WR he will call out? DT is pretty quiet guy but our best WR. Decker has a lot more ammo for him to use with his off the field activities.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #104
Bronco Yoda

Denver has no chance. The mouth covers all.....
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #105
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelichickOwnsPeyton View Post
Seattle will hold you to 20 points in cold weather.

If they can top that on offense they will win.
I say 21-7 Denver if the weather takes away field goals. 23-9 if FG's are permitted. 31-17 in calmer weather.

The only team that was able to put up points while running the ball was the best 3rd down team in the league, with the league MVP at QB and league's best offense (if you take away Manning and his offense). Plus Denver was playing musical chairs with their run defenders that week. I really don't see Russell Wilson picking up like 80% of his 3rd downs in bad weather.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #106
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Shut down Megatron last year. Fitz had 5 catches for 35 yards on 2 games this year. Last year Fitz had 11 targets in both games for 4 catches and 60 yards in one game and 1 catch for 2 yds in another. Despite the claim by certain posters, well poster, he is not overrated and a great CB. Denver will exploit the other matchups not the matchup with Sherman.

I wonder which WR he will call out? DT is pretty quiet guy but our best WR. Decker has a lot more ammo for him to use with his off the field activities.
Does Seattle play strictly matchup based coverages in the secondary or (similar to JDR) do they stick to sides of the field?
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #107
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeReaction View Post
I found this post on seahawks.nethttp://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87109
While those stats are true the poster fails to mention that the Seahawks defense has only played 1 offense in the top 10 in the NFL

Carolina - 26th rated offense
San Francisco - 24th
Jacksonville - 31st
Houston -11th
Indianapolis -15th
Tennessee -22nd
Arizona -12th
St Louis - 30th
Tampa Bay -32nd
Atlanta -14th
Minnesota -13th
New Orleans -4th
San Francisco -24th
New York -28th
Arizona -12th
St Louis -30th

While I believe the Seahawk defense is good. I believe the Broncos are well and above any offense they have faced this year. Peyton will find the matchups he needs to succeed.
Yep - you definitely have to take all of the above into consideration when evaluating the Seachickens' defense.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #108
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Does Seattle play strictly matchup based coverages in the secondary or (similar to JDR) do they stick to sides of the field?
I think they do both but for the most part leave Sherman at LCB. They will do matchup at certain situations.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #109
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

I think that most CBs are only as good as the pressure in front of them. Despite what the numbers show, they can only cover a WR for so long. If Manning has time to stick in the pocket and let the routes develop, a guy like Marshall can be beaten. The key will be for the O-line to continue their impressive play and give Manning and the WRs the time they need.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #110
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
No. They play primarily cover 3 zone, sometimes they play cover 1 man. They almost never move Sherman with a specific receiver because that would reveal their intended coverage.

He is notorious for taking risks, he plays a deep 3rd coverage but bites on Outs and hooks all the time, this is why sometimes he'll have a real bad game and get burned for 200+ yards when a team pump fakes the out.

He's like Ed Reed in a sense, a guy who can drive some coaches crazy, only plays his responsibility 2/3rds of the time, and will therefore sometimes break the game open with a big pick and also sometimes get slaughtered by a team running a lot of double moves.

He's very good at what he does, as for best corner in the league? I'm not 100% sure he's the best corner on his team. He doesn't compare in the same stratosphere as Champ in his prime, revis in his prime, Woodson, Prime, etc.

He wants to be talked about as the unanimous #1 like those guys were, but he never will because he plays in a defensive scheme that keeps things infront of them and protects the corners as a result.

If he wants to be recognized as a bad ass, he would need to be singled up in man zero or with roll-away coverage the way we did with Champ in the mid-2000's.

Who knows how he'd do in that kind of situation, but until he proves it, he's just another zone corner running his mouth.

Last edited by Willynowei; 01-20-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #111
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

The biggest thing for me is, I think Denver is going to handle "Super Bowl" week much better than Seattle. Its one of the main reasons I did not want them to play the 49's, the 49's have recent experience with the media, meetings etc. that come up around Super Bowl. I think that recent experience would give them an edge. Seattle comes across as a bunch of thugs and I can see them letting Super Bowl week get to them.
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #112
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

A good video to watch is Seattle at Atlanta last year in the playoffs. Matt Ryan attacked the Seattle defense down the field relentlessly, picking his shots against Sherman. Hit them for a bunch of long balls. Credit the OL, they kept him clean and the secondary got hit for big plays.

We will be able to throw on these guys. It will be important that we keep them honest vs. the run as well.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #113
bronc_fan23
Broncoholic

I'm Peyton Manning?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

All the Broncos WR's and Defense are going to hear over these next two weeks is how much more physical Seattle is. I can't wait till we go out there and punish them.
bronc_fan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #114
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

The fact the two dominant teams in the NFC West ran the ball more then anyone else in the NFL sends up a flag that the passing games are not exactly all that great in that division. Seattle has not played an offense like ours. Our defense this playoff season is playing out of their heads. The game is not in Seattle. We will get our shots. We just have to make them count.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #115
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
No. They play primarily cover 3 zone, sometimes they play cover 1 man. They almost never move Sherman with a specific receiver because that would reveal their intended coverage.

He is notorious for taking risks, he plays a deep 3rd coverage but bites on Outs and hooks all the time, this is why sometimes he'll have a real bad game and get burned for 200+ yards when a team pump fakes the out.

He's like Ed Reed in a sense, a guy who can drive some coaches crazy, only plays his responsibility 2/3rds of the time, and will therefore sometimes break the game open with a big pick and also sometimes get slaughtered by a team running a lot of double moves.

He's very good at what he does, as for best corner in the league? I'm not 100% sure he's the best corner on his team. He doesn't compare in the same stratosphere as Champ in his prime, revis in his prime, Woodson, Prime, etc.

He wants to be talked about as the unanimous #1 like those guys were, but he never will because he plays in a defensive scheme that keeps things infront of them and protects the corners as a result.

If he wants to be recognized as a bad ass, he would need to be singled up in man zero or with roll-away coverage the way we did with Champ in the mid-2000's.

Who knows how he'd do in that kind of situation, but until he proves it, he's just another zone corner running his mouth.

great post.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #116
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

How is their pass rush?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #117
bronc_fan23
Broncoholic

I'm Peyton Manning?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
How is their pass rush?
Pretty good, Avril and Michael Bennett will be able to get pressure by themselves. Our O-Line will definitely have their hands full.
bronc_fan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #118
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Have faith fellas we got this
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #119
TripleTilde
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The good thing is that, if Denver gets up by several points, in theory, it will be easier for Denver to come back than it would be for Seattle if it was vice versa. The big thing is avoiding negative plays and making their offense earn what it gets.
TripleTilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #120
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

The plan against DT probably wont be Richard Sherman glued to him he usually doesn't follow guys around he stays on his side of the field.

the LCB stays on the left the RCB stays on the right.

We must exploit this by putting DT in the slot at times, put him in motion put him in the backfield etc. if they wanna play DT like that make them pay for it.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #121
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
The biggest thing for me is, I think Denver is going to handle "Super Bowl" week much better than Seattle. Its one of the main reasons I did not want them to play the 49's, the 49's have recent experience with the media, meetings etc. that come up around Super Bowl. I think that recent experience would give them an edge. Seattle comes across as a bunch of thugs and I can see them letting Super Bowl week get to them.
The biggest thing they have going for them is their leader and best player knows how to deal with superbowl week.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #122
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
The plan against DT probably wont be Richard Sherman glued to him he usually doesn't follow guys around he stays on his side of the field.

the LCB stays on the left the RCB stays on the right.

We must exploit this by putting DT in the slot at times, put him in motion put him in the backfield etc. if they wanna play DT like that make them pay for it.
Did you hear the factoid that Knighton was a high school receiver?

Offensive pay #1 - run the same "Welker pick" play with DT - send Knighton on the pick route against Sherman. Bam! problem solved.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #123
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
First of all, WE ARE GOING TO THE SB!!!! Let's not get into any thing nasty tonight. Let's enjoy!

We are enjoying this season.....it's been a blessed one despite all the adversity this team has faced.

And so where is the list of elite QBs, or to be more fair, elite teams we have faced?

We faced Rivers 3 times...Brady 2 times...Luck, Flacco, Romo, and Eli 1 time each. So if they're not elite when we faced them, then they're not elite when they faced Seattle either, correct? Regardless of who is elite, you have to look at their seasons....Rivers would probably have been MVP except there was this Manning guy in Denver...Brady is always dangerous, and Flacco had a bad season, but he was SB MVP a year ago, Romo not only played very well, but bangs hot blondes with great regularity too....Luck isn't a slouch and yes, Eli was Obama-like with all the free stuff he gave out. We went a collective 6-3 against them

Again don't get me wrong I think we win this game. And there is no way they have faced a QB as good as Peyton because he is the best. And I think that Seattle is a pretty darn good team and it will be a tough game. All I am saying.

The Seahawks are like the Chiefs.....when they get turnovers, a short field and you let Wilson out of the pocket or allow him to extend plays they will make you pay....but we've had pretty good success against "mobile" QB's to date.

In bold
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #124
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
You make it seem as if the Seahawks planned their own schedule this year, ensuring that they'd either play as many crap teams as possible, or that they'd play good teams at home.

Well, the League picked their schedule, not Pete Carroll or Richard Sherman.

And how about the teams that Denver faced in the 2013-2014 campaign? How many of them had quality defenses? We played the Raiders twice (crap team), the Giants (total crap team), Baltimore (did not make the playoffs), Phily, Cowboys (did not make playoffs), Jacksonville (a gimmie game if there ever was one), Indy (to whom both Denver & Seattle lost), Redskins (a crap team in a complete meltdown), New England (to whom Denver lost), Tennessee (a crap team), and the Texans (a team so bad that they fired their coach *before* the season ended, and with a record so bad they will get the first pick in the 2014 draft).

Peyton Manning's numbers this year were awe inspiring, and he and Denver's receivers deserve all the praise in the world. But by my reckoning, of Denver's 16 games this year, 7 games (or nearly half) were against CRAP teams that you'd expect to pummel on any given Sunday: Giants (week 2), Radiers (week 3), Jags (week 6), Redskins (week 8), Titans (week 14), Texans (week 16), Raiders (week 17). We also played under-achieving teams at least 3 times: KC twice and Dallas once.

We split the season with San Diego and lost to Indy and NE. So our record against competitive non-CRAP teams was only 1-3.

Our resident Seahawks defender is here to set the record straight!

Just leave man.....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #125
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc_fan23 View Post
Pretty good, Avril and Michael Bennett will be able to get pressure by themselves. Our O-Line will definitely have their hands full.
They are good on the outside. I would say confidently neither is better than Houston or Hali from KC though.

Red Bryant and Brandon Mebane aren't pass rushers. They are pretty damn good run defenders though.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote